CAGcast #347: How to Avoid Back Pain and Disgust People

brutus, you're trying to make this about speed and snapping now. Yes, the Xbox One has a big advantage in these and always will. The point was whether you lose where you were in your game when switching to TV with other consoles and the answer is you don't. You just leave the game running like on Xbox.

I also find your examples to be silly. If I ever want to use Bing (or Google) on my TV, I'll send you a PM about it first. Don't go holding your breath. I have a phone, tablet and usually a laptop for searching the internet and they all work better than using a console to do it (Google's voice recognition is great and on the laptop you can even use a keyboard). I also don't use Skype on my TV, although I do admit many people do, just not me.

Now my discussion turns to Wombat as nearly all do eventually. Wombat surely gets TV audio when his soundbar is off because his soundbar passes audio to the TV when it is turned off. That's a good feature to have in a soundbar. As to why his system doesn't work right, it doesn't seem to be due to anything he's doing wrong. I would suggest that the problem is the Xbox and this kind of problem is probably why multichannel audio pass is considered in beta right now. MS will presumably get this ironed out over the next couple updates.

I got back pain once from sleeping on the couch and it took like 1 month to heal up, but it went away on it's own. And ditto on the stabbing myself with a tortilla chip too. lol. I did that like literally a week before you posted that on twitter. It's those damn flimsy tortia chips that trick you into being careless with the thick, jagged ones.

I'm in the same boat as Cheapy. I have no use for portable devices. Although I did buy the PS Vita at a steep discount because of all the free PS+ games I got for it. I like playing from bed actually.

Nintendo really, really needs to create some type of way to play 3ds games on the WiiU. If they can port 3ds games onto the PS3, they can port them onto the WiiU... Only 3ds game I want to play is the new zelda because I don't want another device I'll only use once laying around.

Last edited by a moderator:
not sure if your just joking but so many people seems to be missing the boat with the "micro-transactions". It is not the presence of them that is the problem. It is the curtailing and designing the game around them that is the problem.

For instance with Forza's career mode. Here are things you could do in 3 and 4 that increased your bank roll in credits

• Auction a car
  • Buy a car at auction
  • Sell a car
  • Sell a tune
  • Sell a design
  • Gift a car
  • Gift a tune
  • Gift a design
  • Receive discounts on parts based on affinity level.
  • Winning cars when hitting certain levels
  • Credits rewards increasing as you level up.
  • Forza 5 - it appears online winnings are less as well

It appears as Turn 10 has made the ability to earn credits a slow process and put the "accelerators" and "token purchasing" right up front for you to see.

I can see slowing down the economy a little but I cant even sell a car back or give to a friend if I don't want it??? C'mon...that's uncalled for.

But now they have given me so many credits through Forza rewards it doesn't even matter. I have little incentive to play career mode as for one it is boring as shit, and 2 the money earned is meh. They should have some bigger more important races to build up to but I don't see it. There is very little to look forward to in the career mode. Race this track with this car and then do it again, and again and again.

Anyway it seems as if companies are seeing a bit of a push back and hopefully it will lessen but it will all depend on how much money they earn from these things. If it is substantial then you can yell and scream all you want...it will be here to stay.

I'm serious in the regard as to what is the line here? I bought a couple Mass Effect packs and others buy horse armor and Ultimate team packs. I'm not saying that the Forza model is good because I am also on board with it being over the top, but people have spent hundreds of dollars on smurfberries......digital sports cards and weapon packs. Where is the line anymore?

It's scary how fast I've become accustomed to voice control and fast switching. Last night I absentmindedly told my PS3 to "Xbox snap tv". Would've been awesome if it worked :D

That Kinect thing with kids' voices gives me an idea.  So who of the three of you will try operating it after inhaling helium?

I guess I should have put in my own answer to my question about disconnecting Kinects.

My setup isn't really conducive to hooking up a Kinect, but if I had the Kinect hooked up, I probably wouldn't disconnect it either. Even if I stopped using the voice controls (which I'm not saying I would). I hadn't thought of Ship's point about bedrooms.

On the last CAGCast Cheapy D was talking about some toy channel on youtube that Ty (Tie?) likes to watch. Anyone know the name of that channel? I need some gift ideas for my nephews (5 and 7)

What are cheapy, wombat and shipwreck's gamertags? I wanna follow em! Thanks
1) They said it in this show, and 2) it's in the second post of this thread.

I've never personally agreed with the "hate" AC gets. I still really enjoyed Brotherhood and Revelations, even though most people didn't. I just started AC3 last night (got it for cheap over the holiday) and I'm 2 hours in, and still sort of in the tutorial-ish stuff since they overhauled the combat. According to Steam, Cheapy only has 1.5 hours played. I'll agree that this start is a bit slow, but based on that playtime, Cheapy didn't even really give it much of a chance.

But seeing as everyone seems to love AC4, I can't wait until I play it. Since I've liked all of the AC games that I've played, it sounds like AC4 will be game of the decade for me or something. Probably won't be for at least a year, though. I like getting them cheap. (I have yet to pay over $10 for an AC title.)

I just started AC3 last night (got it for cheap over the holiday) and I'm 2 hours in, and still sort of in the tutorial-ish stuff since they overhauled the combat. According to Steam, Cheapy only has 1.5 hours played. I'll agree that this start is a bit slow, but based on that playtime, Cheapy didn't even really give it much of a chance.
I can't speak for Cheapy, but my beef and many others' beef is that after 90 minutes you still haven't escape the tutorial. That game also is a tease in that right after you think it's going to open up it switches you to another character (Conor) and puts you through another boring, longer tutorial.

IDK cheapy. That DKC TF is lookin mighty fine at the VGX tonight. And you know Metroid is in the works now that he's all whoring out that pin (hopefully 2d or 2.5d). metroid, zelda, smashbros, kart and dkc tf is a pretty solid lineup.

The only thing I'd contest is that Cranky won't be completely innovative. His gameplay looks somewhat similar to rattly from dkc2, but a welcome addition nonetheless. It's looking impressive to me. 

Until we get a few more years for the big dogs to release games that are truly next gen in terms of gameplay I think Nintendos going to be where it's at. The pressure will be on for them to hit it hard the next  6months-1 year before Naughty Dog and all the other real studios have games out. They really need to ditch the whole "for my kids" schema they have going though and get back to "everyone".

I agree with cheapy that the xbox one needs to be easier to configure and use. It pitches itself as an entertainment appliance, so it has to be as easy to use as an appliance. A whole household is supposed to use this thing. They pitched it on national TV barely mentioning games, so obviously they expect non-gamers or casual gamers to want to pick one up. I don't think Microsoft has a cohesive vision for it and are too wrapped up in their windows 8 interface to care about how it will benefit users, both on the desktop and on consoles. You should be able to say "television on" to go straight to watching TV for these people as well.

I'm glad I have a ps4 that just plays games, I have a $35 raspberry pi running xbmc for everything else, it does it better and without ads!

People did used to call it osss maybe like fifteen twenty years ago? Read Douglas Coupland's Microserfs, I believe the protagonist was largely based on the man. Shipwreck's an industry vet.

Which reminds me, one week when Ship is in Germany getting his talking points at Crytek headquarters ("The game is really twelve hours long, since you'll really want to play through it twice!"), you guys should get Wario64 on the show.

Man I am sick of wombat mocking japanese language. What a bigot. Seriously I know you hate Asian culture and you live on Long Island and can feel you can get away with it.

The show is better with just cheaply and ship. When will they fix it?

I thought that life in Japan was lived on trains.  I would think that Cheapy would be more into the 3DS or Vita than he is.  Vita has a couple good games and the 3DS has a lot of great stuff.  Great Podcast to listen to while riding on the train & playing my new 3DS. 

I thought that life in Japan was lived on trains. I would think that Cheapy would be more into the 3DS or Vita than he is. Vita has a couple good games and the 3DS has a lot of great stuff. Great Podcast to listen to while riding on the train & playing my new 3DS.
Yes, if you commute to a job. Cheapy doesn't have a physical job in Japan; he said himself he barely goes anywhere. And when he does go somewhere he's probably with someone (like Tai) so playing a handheld game would be weird and rude.

Man I am sick of wombat mocking japanese language. What a bigot. Seriously I know you hate Asian culture and you live on Long Island and can feel you can get away with it. The show is better with just cheaply and ship. When will they fix it?
ME.SO.SORRY.

Seriously though, the show started off with 5 minutes of talk about jizz and Wombat's stereotypical Asian accent which lasted all of three seconds is what bothered you? Sounds to me like you are just looking for something to bitch about. That shit was hilarious and the CAGCast is f'in awesome. If Wombat offends you so deeply, why don't you just try not listening to the show? And just for equal representation, I did play the clip for my Asian sister in law who thought it was totally inoffensive (but only mildly humorous).

Ignore the haters fellas. The rest of us can't wait for the next ep!

Your post proves my point. Ignorant jokes shouldn't be tolerated. Your sister inlaw is like the typical I have black friends I am not racist response. Typical of what douchebags say.

I guarantee Cheapy buys a car from forza.
No way. However, I did receive 4,000,000 credits for being a long-time Forza player.

I thought that life in Japan was lived on trains. I would think that Cheapy would be more into the 3DS or Vita than he is. Vita has a couple good games and the 3DS has a lot of great stuff. Great Podcast to listen to while riding on the train & playing my new 3DS.
I live pretty centrally, so I walk most everywhere.

I've never personally agreed with the "hate" AC gets. I still really enjoyed Brotherhood and Revelations, even though most people didn't. I just started AC3 last night (got it for cheap over the holiday) and I'm 2 hours in, and still sort of in the tutorial-ish stuff since they overhauled the combat. According to Steam, Cheapy only has 1.5 hours played. I'll agree that this start is a bit slow, but based on that playtime, Cheapy didn't even really give it much of a chance.

But seeing as everyone seems to love AC4, I can't wait until I play it. Since I've liked all of the AC games that I've played, it sounds like AC4 will be game of the decade for me or something. Probably won't be for at least a year, though. I like getting them cheap. (I have yet to pay over $10 for an AC title.)
I played it on Xbox 360 first. Raptr says I played 10 hours, but that seems high to me. 5 seems more like it. ACIV is so good.

I usually play my Vita on the couch while also watching TV. It's great for sports that don't require you to pay much attention most of the time, like football and soccer. Doesn't work for hockey, though, since it's so fast paced.

Do you think with the xbox one app switching, people will buy more digital releases? I really hate getting up and switching the disc.
Agree. My plan is to go all digital, until there's a deal on the disk version that I can't pass up. I hope the deals get pushed down to the digital versions on the X1 like they are currently each week for the 360. I was sad to not see any deals on Black Friday for the digital X1 store...hopefully not a sign of things to come.

As a resident of North Jersey and a user of body wash I just want to say:  "Screw you Cheapy and Stack Soap!"  

***Obviously I'm just joking.  I support Cheapy and Cleanliness.

I played it on Xbox 360 first. Raptr says I played 10 hours, but that seems high to me. 5 seems more like it. ACIV is so good.
Oh, that's right. I now remember you asking if you could transfer you save over. Totally had forgotten about that, my bad.

I now have 20 hours played on AC3 and I am fucking loving it. I will say, though, that there's pretty much two tutorial-ish sections and the second one is kind of large, so I can see why it turned people off. But I still enjoyed it, and now that I'm past all of that, the game is amazing. It just makes me wonder how awesome AC4 is then, since I love the hell out of 3 so far. I'm thinking that maybe people would've loved AC3 as much, but it started out too slow for them to get to the good stuff...

Man I am sick of wombat mocking japanese language. What a bigot. Seriously I know you hate Asian culture and you live on Long Island and can feel you can get away with it. The show is better with just cheaply and ship. When will they fix it?
I'm not suggesting you do this, but usually, if I make a choice that emotionally scars me...I try not to do that thing anymore. For example, I don't like the lyrics to most rap songs, so I don't listen to most rap music.

I don't think anything needs to be fixed, it's well balanced. I think Wombat gets nagged on too much, sometimes, but that just happens between friends.

@everyone I haven't verified this, but I'm pretty sure the X1 controller is an IR blaster. Maybe that's the biggest variable in why your electronics sometimes turn on and sometimes don't. The reason I believe this is because of the "sensor look" of the front of the controller and also during setup, it tells you to keep your controller level for best results.

@Wombat, Iol'd at "kiss my aus" and "Velcro-San" both times I listened to the show; leading me to believe your comedic timing must be excellent.

Originally I had the same mindset as cheapy on the whole "rather be using an actual controller than a handheld"... 

But Flower on the Vita is probably the best version. I just got done 100%ing it because it had separate trophies and the sixaxis controls were much better on the Vita. I got the "pure" trophy for not taking damage on the first attempt. Probably an exception but there's one case where it was preferable. Plus there's no need to worry about the viewing angles with dat OLED. And nothin beats staying in a warm bed all day when it's 0 degrees outside.

One crappy thing about the WiiU controller screen is that you can't use it too far from the console. I can use it one room away but not two rooms away so the portability sucks. The only purpose for it is if someone else is using the tv or for minor gameplay stuff. 

Someone should develop a screen protector that won't leave fingerprints on the Vita or sometype of glove/fingertip thing you can wear to keep from getting greasy fingerprints on the screen over time though. THey could probably make a lot of money off something like that not only for gaming but phones and tablets etc.

The best part about this episode was Cheapy and Ship getting confused over Wombat's setup situation with his speakers.

Not sure if Wombat's situation is the same as mine but my receiver will pass through the audio and video to my TV and the TV knows when to and not to use the TV speakers. The TV remote will control the volume for whichever speakers are being used to boot. Technology, how does it work?

Boo!  I was hoping for some more discussion on why Cheapie doesn't own a Wii U.   

The reasons weren't very satisfying.  Kind of weak sauce.  Little analysis.  I guess I'll just chalk it up to a too cool for school image thing.  If Mario was a Zombie with jizzballs then cha-ching!

But Cheapie's Nintendo rants would be more entertaining if he kept up some on the Wii U and 3ds.   Not as interesting when he is ranting about them circa 2006 or earlier.

Wombat doesn't own a Wii U but I feel like that is  normal.   :mrgreen:

The show highlighted why the Xbro will be  a mess for the mainstream.  Everyone on the show had different problems.  And that's because HDMI-passthrough, IR blasters and voice are all flakey tech!!!  Then combine that with the UI and ...I just am not smelling consumer friendly here.

It should be fun to hear about the setup experiences of Cheapie's dad.  

Oh and it was hilarious to hear how quickly Forza no Morza changed to No Forza No Morza.

Overheard in Shipwreck's bedroom, "Xbox, record that!"

Anyway I can't help it, but I'm still curious as to why Cheapie doesn't own a Wii U.

Cheapie didn't like  the Wii so he won't get a Wii U but, my general take from listening to the show, is   Cheapie didn't like the PS3 either  yet he got a PS4 day 1.   :D

Cheapie didn't like AC3 according to him on the latest show yet was there day 1 playing AC4.  

So from say a business standpoint one has to ask why this consumer doesn't give platform A or game A a second chance while giving these other platforms or games a second chance.

Also why does this consumer who always is talking about enjoying Lego games and open world games like GTA 5/Saints Row not even consider owning platform A in order to play an original open world well regarded exclusive Lego game in the style of a GTA/SR?

Why does this consumer who often quotes MetaCritic not use MetaCritic scores of games on platform A as motivation to get platform A?

Why would this consumer not be the least interested or curious in checking out one of the highest rated games of the year especially after having been away for many many years now?

I understand if  the consumer just had one console...... then ....choices have to be made.  And most consumers want to play AAA western games that are only found on platforms other than platform A.  But this consumer owns platforms B, C, and D which are all very similar to each other  in terms of the games library.

The curiosity remains.  

I'm not even throwing the owner of a gaming website thing, the talking about games on his own podcast thing, the young kid at home who has a Mario fireball toy but can't play the latest Mario game.....ok shamless guilt trip reason.  I just saw that blurb on the front page Twitter highlights.

It isn't like I don't get why people don't own a Wii U.  Or think anyone has to own one.  I'm just still curious why Cheapie doesn't own one.  It seems like every roadblock is removed to him owning one, every motivation that can exist for him to own one exists except being a huge Nintendo fan and yet he still doesn't own one.  He can even write it off on his taxes I would think right?  OR give it away as a prize in 2 years and write it off.  

bread's done
Back