CAGcast #348: Peggle Fever Fever

Only if 50% gain on investment if you bought in at the beginning of the year is acceptable.
I'm more of a long-haul kind of guy when it comes to stocks. So that big gain would only have come after a big dive. Watching that needle bounce up and down and every which way isn't appealing to me. Reminds me too much of Peggle. :)

Oh, Cheapy! You're normally very scientifically-minded. You don't believe in ghosts, etc. So cast that skeptical eye on the new-age crap from Sarno. It's not scientifically valid and the results are placebo and anecdotal at best. Search "Sarno skepticism"

Tomb Raider doesn't have a season pass.
Shipwreck is wrong again. Rejoice everyone, he is human.
Yeah, and there's only one tomb DLC. Aside from costumes, all of the other DLC is multiplayer-only. So there's only one DLC that has actual SP content, and Ship mentioned it in the plural (just a small error though).

Which is lame - I don't know anyone who actually has played the Tomb Raider MP. I honestly doubt it's much of a lively scene. Should've focused on SP content.

I agree too about the season pass, that was the original point, you gamble a little by paying in advance for a season pass, but in exchange you got all the DLC. The notable DLC missing from the BL2 season pass were the new playable classes, I guarantee they didn't start working on those after the game had been released and was a hit. They should either give you access to all the DLC that is released for the title or all the DLC released in a certain time frame (so you could have season 2 DLC pass) Now it's even bleeding into GOTY editions, Borderlands 2 GOTY edition won't include all the DLC.
Well, Gaige the Mechromancer was a pre-order bonus, and was announced prior to the game's release. So she wasn't planned after the fact, and she was not included in the Season Pass.

And FYI, the GOTY version is already out and DLC is still being released. So the precedent of a GOTY version having everything is crumbling away.

Ok, so I'm not saying Peggle is a bad game, but I don't get why it's so hyped. My first experience with Peggle was the (official) addon for WoW, where you could play it in-game. It was entertaining, but I just found it to be a thing to pass some time. It wasn't until later that I saw it was actually a beloved thing and people talked about it a lot. And then there was the hype of the Peggle 2 announcement at E3 or wherever it was. Again, I'm not saying it's a bad game, but I just don't understand why it's such a big thing. IMO it's just a small little game to play in passing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for making me vomit, Wombat.

I think you guys forgot Dead Space 3 microtransactions (when mentioning EA specifically for their crimes).

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Telltale made Jurassic Park: The Game (adventure game genre talk)...so...not a perfect record.

No, consoles don't all take an hour to set up nowadays.

It took me about 5 mins to set up my PS4. And it was on launch day.

I had previously downloaded a firmware update onto a USB stick to use to update with. The download was 250MB.

I booted up my PS4, answered a few questions about my network connection and then put up a screen of test to read about license agreements or something stupid.

I looked away for a couple minutes to find a game to start installing and looked back and pressed OK and the PS4 started to install the update. I hadn't even inserted the USB stick, it had downloaded the patch while that text was up and I was looking for a game to install. I never even used the USB stick.

It installed the patch, rebooted and I was done. About 5 minutes or so. Maybe 10 at the outside, but not nearly an hour.

I have 50mbit internet, so 240MB could download in as little as 80 seconds. Now, it may not have been quite that fast, but it's not the 30mins plus people talk about updating their Xbox Ones (with no status bar).

Admittedly, getting on PSN took about 3 hours of trying. But that was just a first day thing, it's fixed now so you can set up a PS4 in no time.

It's very easy for companies to not take the time to have a good user experience, including out of the box. Nintendo did it. MS did it. But Sony did take the time to have a good experience. It would be great if we'd all notice it and not gloss over it.

It was noticing and acknowledging what MS did right with 360 that forced Sony to try harder to get customers. So we're doing all of us a favor if we notice and acknowledge when anyone does something right this generation. And not just saying "oh, every consoles takes an hour to set up" when they don't.

Yeah, Shipwreck was quick to say the PS4 is just as bad, but by the very nature of having to tell the Xbox One what your TV equipment is I assume it's more setup time. I certainly didn't spend even a half hour setting up my PS4 (wasn't it like 5-10mins??? I forget), so I just don't know anymore if I'm being too picky or there is an odd need to say "Sony too!" going on .

Anyway, enough negative from me. A great show. Hope Wombat can stick around next time.

My experience was it took me hours to set up my PS4 due to PSN issues. That's the experience I had. I'm sure it's much faster to set it up now.

Ship, you were set up before that, you just couldn't log on to PSN. You could have played games, you just didn't want to because you were worried about your trophies. You could have played your disc-based games if you wanted. If you were on a Wii or Xbox One you're just starting at a loading screen at that point.

For others who aren't as worried (perhaps Cheapy's dad), they would have been playing in minutes.

Now presumably all that is fixed too so even the Shipwrecks of the world could be playing in minutes. I don't know since I mine's set up already.

Anyway, I'm just saying if companies go out of their way to make the experience good and then you don't even notice, they sure as heck won't spend the time in that area next time around, they'll spend their time on other stuff.

[edit: Used to say about you could watch Netflix too before getting on PSN. But I think that's wrong, you couldn't download the Netflix app to watch it I think. Even though the icon was there, it's just a link to the store.]

Ship, you were set up before that, you just couldn't log on to PSN. You could have played games, you just didn't want to because you were worried about your trophies. You could have played your disc-based games if you wanted. If you were on a Wii or Xbox One you're just starting at a loading screen at that point.

For others who aren't as worried (perhaps Cheapy's dad), they would have been playing in minutes.

Now presumably all that is fixed too so even the Shipwrecks of the world could be playing in minutes. I don't know since I mine's set up already.

Anyway, I'm just saying if companies go out of their way to make the experience good and then you don't even notice, they sure as heck won't spend the time in that area next time around, they'll spend their time on other stuff.

[edit: Used to say about you could watch Netflix too before getting on PSN. But I think that's wrong, you couldn't download the Netflix app to watch it I think. Even though the icon was there, it's just a link to the store.]
He would have only been able to play disc games as well. I couldn't play anything on my PS4 for a day and a half because I couldn't log in to download anything.

He would have only been able to play disc games as well. I couldn't play anything on my PS4 for a day and a half because I couldn't log in to download anything.
Really? You couldn't play anything on your PS4 for a day and a half? How were you sharing pics of yourself playing Killzone along with those Twitch streams from the PS4 on launch day? :p

This sudden focus on PSN login issues for launch day seems kinda silly when the whole podcast discussion was about what the average console setup time is like on these new consoles, especially for someone like Cheapy's dad. It was clearly meant to be a general discussion about the setup experience, but I guess Shipwreck is going to count the launch day hitches as the general experience.

EDIT: Read my post again, and sorry it comes off more confrontational than I wanted. I'm just confused on these time examples given or where launch day issues fit in all this. I don't have my own Xbox One yet, but I'm truly impressed if MS made it take the same setup time when it comes with a peripheral IR blaster/camera and TV input. I assumed it wouldn't, but you guys have both systems and I don't.

Coming from a PC makes the Last of Us sometimes hard to look at, and sadly the next generation a little less impressive in general.

Coming from a PC makes the Last of Us sometimes hard to look at, and sadly the next generation a little less impressive in general.
I respectfully disagree with the visuals in TLoU being "rough" or "hard to look at". At least 95% of PC games look no better, and you're talking about the best looking game on PS3. Even with some PC graphics being better it's not like it makes look like an N64 title, it's not quite as night & day as some people like to think.

Stating that you had to stop playing because of graphics is asinine.

Could depend on your level of graphics whore. :)

Game is certainly enjoyable for many as is, but I actually stopped playing Last of Us and GTA5 and sent them back to GameFly early on with the plan to get back to them again on new consoles. I admit, I'm taking a big gamble with the Last of Us as I have no idea if it'll get ported. GTA5 is practically a sure thing I think.

The effects of 720p being blown up to 1080p and a sluggish frame rate are definitely noticeable in games like TLoU and Dead Rising 3. The lack of image quality and fluidity can be very noticeable to some people.

I'm waiting for a PS4 version of The Last of Us.

Could depend on your level of graphics whore. :)

Game is certainly enjoyable for many as is, but I actually stopped playing Last of Us and GTA5 and sent them back to GameFly early on with the plan to get back to them again on new consoles. I admit, I'm taking a big gamble with the Last of Us as I have no idea if it'll get ported. GTA5 is practically a sure thing I think.
I suppose, and while I like graphics just as much as the next guy, it's pretty shallow to write a game off or to quit playing one just because of that. Especially for a game as stunning as TLoU already is.

Apologies if I directed too much of my rant at you. ;)

Oh I know. Sucks hearing the Bombcast talk about TLoU again and feeling like I missed out when graphics really aren't the important thing that game has going for it.

I'm renting Assassin's Creed 4 now and the game engine is a bit dated, but just seeing the ships and jungle levels at 1080p are even more impressive with a bigger impact on my living room TV than I was expecting.

Really? You couldn't play anything on your PS4 for a day and a half? How were you sharing pics of yourself playing Killzone along with those Twitch streams from the PS4 on launch day? :p

This sudden focus on PSN login issues for launch day seems kinda silly when the whole podcast discussion was about what the average console setup time is like on these new consoles, especially for someone like Cheapy's dad. It was clearly meant to be a general discussion about the setup experience, but I guess Shipwreck is going to count the launch day hitches as the general experience.

EDIT: Read my post again, and sorry it comes off more confrontational than I wanted. I'm just confused on these time examples given or where launch day issues fit in all this. I don't have my own Xbox One yet, but I'm truly impressed if MS made it take the same setup time when it comes with a peripheral IR blaster/camera and TV input. I assumed it wouldn't, but you guys have both systems and I don't.
I did have Killzone from Gamefly but didn't play it until I could log in on the console, which was Saturday night or about a 30+hours later. I couldn't download Resogun, Contrast, DCUO, Blacklight, etc, until I could finally log in.

Launch day woes aside, having set up both consoles, there is no way it takes an hour. Both consoles started downloading their respective updates as soon as the ethernet cable was plugged in and neither took more than 15 minutes to install. On top of that, these consoles are HDMI only meaning: plug in HDMI to TV (or reciever), plug other end in to console, plug power supply or power cable in to wall, press Power button. Xbox One has only one more step and that's plugging in a cable box in to the equation if you want. Super straight forward stuff.

My dad had very bad back pain due to narrowing of the spine and degenerative discs in his back.

He had to have bone shaved off the vertebrae, and spinal fusion surgery twice to help relieve the pain/stop nerve damage.

I guess I should have just told him to think happy thoughts and do yoga.

fucking stupid.

I am curious about Shipwreck and Wombat's television setups because my television never freezes during playback.  It will sometimes take a little bit for the HDMI handshake to go through before the program starts, but if I let it set for a minute it will sort it out on its own.  I have never had to restart anything before it works. 

BTW I have stand Motorola cable box. 

Great show as always.

Random thoughts:

- Too bad for those Let's play guys, but in every other walk of life once you start making money off of someone else's IP you are going to get cease and desist-ed.

- Radio stations can't play songs w/o paying record companies

- You can't sell your fan fiction about the continuing adventures of Boba Fett after he crawled out of sarlacc.

- You can't run a for profit day care and paint the outside of your facility with Disney characters.

If those guys want to go back to doing it for the love of the game and forgo getting paid then I imagine their stuff will stop getting delisted.

- Please leave the sales arguments to GAF, they are easier to ignore if it all stays there.  :)

Both consoles are doing fine.

I really enjoyed that minute you guys gave to Gran Turismo 6.

I miss the old two-man booth.

Happy Holidays!

You beat me to it. Listen to this man. I speak Spanish and Japanese and can vouch for what he said about the 'ah' sounds being exactly like Italian (which I also studied). I've often shaken my head when you guys say Mario's name. It's a bit grating to my ears.

Wombat said that Mario Lopez's name should be pronounced differently from Mario Mario because...why exactly?

To be fair, listen to this dilemma. My name in real life is Ricardo. How do I pronounce it to Americans whom I speak English to? I sure as hell don't trill the 'R' and say the 'a' like a Spanish 'a'. People would put their hands in the air and say, "Excuuuuse me." Or an even bigger dilemma: Mixed group of native Spanish speakers and non-Spanish speakers having a conversation when the subject of Mexican food enters - how should I pronounce "tortilla"? Do I make the 'll" into a 'y' sound or simply an English style 'l" sound? Either way I'll catch flack from someone.

So...if you guys want to pronounce Mario the way you do, it's your world and all us gentiles are just living in it! I'm not about to start pronouncing Karaoke and Karate with an 'eh' sound at the end instead of an 'ee' sound when I' in the states because people will not understand or consider me a douche bag. You can't make everyone happy.

Great podcast once again, guys.

One last thing, I remember I was ordering Italian food in Thailand and didn't know how to order a calzone because the waiter was Thai and they probably don't mispronounce the food the same way Americans do. I figured it was a tourist town so I'd order it the same way Americans would. Then the waiter corrected me on my horrible Italian as if it was a 5 star restaurant and didn't only cost me like $3. Oh, oh, and in Osaka I ordered Pollo en mole from a Mexican restaurant from a Japanese waitress and wasn't sure how to mispronounce the food. I gave her the benefit of the doubt and said it in slow, well enunciated Spanish. She repeated, "wacamore?" (guacamole) Then I just pointed at the menu.
Yeah, having awareness of multiple languages can make some things difficult. I can't hold it against anyone if they try to make foreign loan words fit their sound systems since that's only natural, but I can hold it against someone if they begrudge me my "mispronunciation" because it doesn't match theirs. It would be nice if multilingualism were more common.

Great show as always.

Random thoughts:

- Too bad for those Let's play guys, but in every other walk of life once you start making money off of someone else's IP you are going to get cease and desist-ed.

- Radio stations can't play songs w/o paying record companies

- You can't sell your fan fiction about the continuing adventures of Boba Fett after he crawled out of sarlacc.

- You can't run a for profit day care and paint the outside of your facility with Disney characters.

If those guys want to go back to doing it for the love of the game and forgo getting paid then I imagine their stuff will stop getting delisted.

- Please leave the sales arguments to GAF, they are easier to ignore if it all stays there. :)

Both consoles are doing fine.
Where does it end? The major problem is Reviews, Previews, Critiques, and First Impressions are also being hit for using 10 seconds of a trailer in their 5-30min video.

EDIT: nevermind, it doesn't matter. I'll just part ways here.

Hey cheapy. Just wanted to say I just got an Xbox one recently (last thursday) and the setup time was pretty fast for me.

~2min inital startup,

~5min patch download (50MB bandwidth download but not sure on the exact wifi speed),

~3-4min install

next screen jump right into the startup (i skipped the kinect and live account thing) and was present the Home screen.

In regards to the comment CheapyD made about his Xbox Smartglass app inaccurately calculating his time played in Forza, I'm there with with you. I have spend the majority of the last week playing Peggle 2. Smartglass has calculated my total Peggle 2 time at 210 hours. My Xbox One hasn't even been turned on for that amount of time, so it has got to be counting time while the app is open in standby mode.

I reached out to Popcap and Major Nelson via twitter a few days ago and am still awaiting a response...

bread's done
Back