CAGcast #355: Two and a Half Weeks

Call me crazy, but I don't think one game is going to have a major impact on sales. The biggest problem that the Xbox One has is that it is a more expensive system that's not as powerful as the Playstation 4. So if you want to play the best version of Madden, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid, Battlefield, Final Fantasy, ect, then you'll buy the Playstation 4. 

Call me crazy, but I don't think one game is going to have a major impact on sales. The biggest problem that the Xbox One has is that it is a more expensive system that's not as powerful as the Playstation 4. So if you want to play the best version of Madden, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid, Battlefield, Final Fantasy, ect, then you'll buy the Playstation 4.
Well, you buy the PC if you want the best, but if you want to spend $400, you buy the PS4.

Well, you buy the PC if you want the best, but if you want to spend $400, you buy the PS4.
The price point is a big reason why consoles are so popular, but even with that super powerful expensive PC you won't be able to play the latest Metal Gear or Final Fantasy XV or any of the multitude of other console only games.

Besides, a $400 PC can't do what a PS4 or Xbox One can do.

2.1 million "sold-in". That's how many Killzones Sony has sold to retailers. That's not how many have been sold to consumers. There's absolutely no way that 50% of PlayStation 4 owners bought Killzone.
Interesting. I don't understand why that article clearly stated almost half of all PS4 owners actively bought Killzone if that was about copies stores bought, along with them providing that almost 50% attach rate claim. Thanks for the correction, Shipwreck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not so much for CoD and AC... AC has Uplay to deal with, and CoD has always been developed for consoles with PC being little more than a port. I say this as a PC gamer.

I played the Titanfall beta, and I do not agree with the hype at all. The regular run-and-gun of it felt almost exactly like CoD, but with added parkour, stealth, and an incredibly stupid auto-aim gun. It was fine, but I don't see a reason to play Titanfall for this portion of the game when CoD already exists.

And then there's the mechs. I hated the mechs. Each game I was in was just a rush to which team can get all their mechs first, and whomever manages this wins. It was just not fun for me in the slightest. Also, I thought the escape mechanic was a needless waste of time. You've already lost, why drag it out? Not to mention the fact that the team that won can just camp the dropship in their Titans and then nuke it from the sky, making anything you try to do a futile effort.

You guys kept saying "this was the beta, it might change," but you pretty much have played the full game. When a game goes into such a big open beta like this did, you're playing the final product. Yes, some features were missing and they will tweak a few things, but for the most part, that was the game that will be released.

And I still agree with Wombat's original prediction that it will not have lasting popularity. But we'll see.

"it's just not a game for everybody"

So, you mean every game ever?

Also, the AC4 DLC is only standalone on PS3, PS4 and PC.

I think Infamous will sell quite well, in part because we're coming off a three-month dead zone of true-next-gen retail releases. I know I'm desperate to buy something new for my PS4. Even the psn releases I was interested in I couldn't buy because they gave them away with PS+. 

Wombat, forget another Lego DC game... I'm holding out hope for an epic Lego Marvel vs DC game.

Oh, and Cheapy... The Boatcrash Chronicles ( boatcrashcomics.com ) updates Tuesday mornings (or whenever that is in your future Japan time). I only tweet about updates if I post a bonus comic on another day of the week, so following me won't do you much good.

Wombat is awesome. The very first thing I thought of when Ken Levine announced he was reducing Irrational Games to almost nothing is that he is acting just like the Ayn Rand capitalist characters he criticizes in his games. Hearing Wombat make the same point was so cool.

Also, Wombat is the only host who comes off as a real cheapass, which makes his relatable. (Also, it's hilarious when Cheapy makes fun of his for being a cheapass.)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26325354

Looks like it'll be roughly $95 cheaper when you include the price of the free game at $60. Although you could be getting the game for $40 via best buy with GCU so I think they can still go a bit lower. Now  at least it's a closer fight. They're still short a few Ps in their games for the time being.

I guess you could say this console war could start getting pretty serious in March. My money is still on Sony leading. But i'm rooting for Nintendo. DKC is the best game i've played all year. Good amount of challenge and plenty of extra lives/purchasable items to make it easier. Music is Excellent. Bosses have multiple phases and are longer so they're more fun. 10/10 imo.

I think one thing that's been made clear with the launch of the Xbox and the WiiU is that gamers don't want all these extra bells and whistles as much as we just want games. I think if they're going to do things like kinect they have to have that killer game ready with the launch for it to justify the higher cost. They can't release the game a few months after launch. It's too late. They should take this into consideration when they try and get everyone to adopt mainstream oculus rift type devices.

I might have missed it, but did the Cagcast completely skip over the fact that one of Nintendo's biggest Wii U games this year, Donky Kong Country Tropical Freeze, just came out?  

Also, on a similar note but hugely late, did the Shipwreck or the crew ever review/discuss Zelda: Skyward Sword on the podcast?  I never seemed to note Skyward Sword being discussed when it released in the late/drought years of the Wii.

I would think the obvious answer would be Ken Masters with you in a blonde wig, especially if Tai is Ryu. They might also have muscle costumes for you to wear since it's cosplay.

With all the twitter posts with pictures of Shipwreck's home project I couldn't help but think of this image.

post-14659-0-46232900-1393274549.jpg

I have never played an Infamous but I remember watching videos of one of the previous ones and it made me think of Star Wars The Force Unleashed 2, because of how overpowered the main hero looked and that seemed boring to me to run around killing easy AI with an overpowered hero. Keep in mind, like I already said, I have never played an infamous game, but I am just telling you, it doesn't make me want to run out and buy a PS4 just to play that game, but Titanfall makes me want an Xbox One to play it.
It starts off with soft targets but as you get further along the enemies get super powers too, it gets particularly challenging to survive in hard mode.

Did I miss the announcement of Jazzpunk winners?

I might have missed it, but did the Cagcast completely skip over the fact that one of Nintendo's biggest Wii U games this year, Donky Kong Country Tropical Freeze, just came out?
CAGcast came out before the game released, so it should be mentioned as a new release on the next CAGcast.

I'm not sure I get why Infamous cannot sell well as a big PS4 exclusive in March since it's a well-known IP. When Infamous 2 launched, it was the top-selling game for that month despite launching the same day that E3 started. Infamous Festival of Blood also launched as the fastest-selling PSN game at that time, so the series has done very well for itself. PlayStation Plus and the PSN Hack Welcome Back program also helped put Infamous and Infamous 2 into the hands of more people, so sales aren't completely accurate either. Second Son has been put up on a pedestal as the big PS4 exclusive since they unveiled the console about a year ago. Unless they decide to give up on it and not market it at all over the next few weeks, I don't see any way that it doesn't sell well.

Thanks for the show fellas!  It'll be interesting to see how the sales of the PS4 Infamous go since BOTH Infamous 1&2 were made free on PS+ and were reasonably good games IMHO.  Since a large number of PS3 owners have played the series; will they queue up at the cash register or will they choose to wait until the PS4 Infamous becomes free as well?  I suspect the latter and that'll be a shame.  Of course, I plan on playing PS4 Infamous once it's free.  Let's just hope that that doesn't happen in 2 and a half weeks.    

@Wombat

Thanks for all the glowing Lego Marvel praise!  I ended up buying it during the PSN flash sale (after all; no Lego game has ever been offered free on PS+ so there was no point in waiting) and we've been playing it a lot.   

Also, on a similar note but hugely late, did the Shipwreck or the crew ever review/discuss Zelda: Skyward Sword on the podcast? I never seemed to note Skyward Sword being discussed when it released in the late/drought years of the Wii.
He said he picked it up on twitter. it came out after their last show.

Thanks for the show fellas! It'll be interesting to see how the sales of the PS4 Infamous go since BOTH Infamous 1&2 were made free on PS+ and were reasonably good games IMHO. Since a large number of PS3 owners have played the series; will they pony up at the cash register or will they choose to wait until the PS4 Infamous becomes free as well? I suspect the latter and that'll be a shame. Of course, I plan on playing PS4 Infamous once it's free. Let's just hope that that doesn't happen in 2 and a half weeks.

@Wombat

Thanks for all the glowing Lego Marvel praise! I ended up buying it during the PSN flash sale (after all; no Lego game has ever been offered free on PS+ so there was no point in waiting) and we've been playing it a lot.
I just preordered my copy of infamous thru BB GCU for $47. I dont care if it becomes free. It should be a good game and they deserve to be paid for it. Besides I needed something to meet the $25 free shipping requirement now that Metal Gear Solid V has dropped to $30 ($23 with GCU) for PS4 and XB1! Man games are dropping price before they're even released in 2014! This is great. Altogether for both games im only spending around $74. Pretty good deal imo.

Just read the forbes article on the $2500 pc.  I was a bit surprised at the number you guys were throwing around until I heard that the monitor was included in the price, so it's a $1700 computer (not cheap of course) + an $800 monitor.  It just always seems strange that nobody ever includes the tv in the price of the console for a comparison, a $1300 XBOX One.  And these days a lot of pc's are hooked up to the same living room tv as the consoles. I think it's still a ways off until 4k makes sense, even though tvs seems like they will be affordable fairly quickly, the content just isn't there yet.

It was funny to hear Wombat's reaction to being in Westwood which I live on the outskirts of.  To me whenever I hear about all the winter weather in other parts of the country it feels like it's another world.

Could MS realistically upgrade the RAM/Graphical working of the Xbox One at some point in the next year or two to make 1080p easier to attain while also getting rid of kinect? What would that mean for those who have already purchased the console? Trade-in/upgrade program? You're screwed, buy it again? Thoughts?
Well, retail stores like Best Buy and GameStop will be there to trade-in those hypothetical older consoles. Amazon would definitely offer a trade-in program of sorts.

Phones upgrade every two years. You either upgrade or you don't. I would have no complaints if consoles did the same.

Yeah, Infamous will be a bit better this time around with a ton of PS4s all around and people hungry for best looking games on it. 

Well, retail stores like Best Buy and GameStop will be there to trade-in those hypothetical older consoles. Amazon would definitely offer a trade-in program of sorts.

Phones upgrade every two years. You either upgrade or you don't. I would have no complaints if consoles did the same.
Talk about ways to ruin the point of consoles when you have to check the requirements to see if you have the right version of the console to play the new Halo or find out that games you bought are now unplayable because the model you own has been dropped and developers have updated their games to only support the newer models.

Cheapy can you please elaborate what the hell dressing in SFII cosplay has to do with being a foreigner living in Japan? It seems to me that this could be spun very unfavorably. Be careful if you go through with it.

He said he picked it up on twitter. it came out after their last show.

I just preordered my copy of infamous thru BB GCU for $47. I dont care if it becomes free. It should be a good game and they deserve to be paid for it. Besides I needed something to meet the $25 free shipping requirement now that Metal Gear Solid V has dropped to $30 ($23 with GCU) for PS4 and XB1! Man games are dropping price before they're even released in 2014! This is great. Altogether for both games im only spending around $74. Pretty good deal imo.
I agree: 2014 a great time to be a cheap ass gamer!

I'll gladly take a free Infamous Second Son. Who knows, I might even become a fan. Or South Park as a consolation prize. Go Walmart Contest!

The problem Sony is going to have is Infamous comes out but there are still no PS4s on the store shelves! Sony can't sell more consoles if there are none to be purchased.

bread's done
Back