CAGcast #358: Drumming

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang prepares for Titanfall, Titanfalls, and doesn't Titanfall at all.

Download (68 minutes) - iTunes - Stitcher - RSS
https://soundcloud.com/cheapyd/cagcast-358-drumming

GoDaddy.com Coupon Codes

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro:  Monotone - Marcel Woods -  Outro: Sensei Moko Taiko

RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

A taiko game came out in America for PS2 and it bombed... hard. I bought two copies of Taiko Drum Master for $15.00 from Best Buy a long time ago. It's pretty much Donkey Konga btw. Donkey Konga came later though. How does Cheapy not know of this game? I thought it was super popular in Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiko:_Drum_Master

BTW I bet Wombat's kid really wasn't sleepy because Daylight Savings Time screwed up her sleeping routine. At least that's my guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
As soon as I noticed IGN's tweet about having issues connecting at around 10pm EST, I signed on to see what it was about.. without an issue.

But I guess I'm one of the lucky ones?  Never had issue on Titanfall either.. in either iteration, before and with the final product. :/

Still on the fence on whether or not I should put any money down for a PS4 but still waiting on X1 issues to really drive me to it... nevermind a huge IP..

Will the lesbian Japanese drumming instructor in your game only speak in Japanese? It would certainly help with the authentic feel you seem to be striving for, but it would make it awfully difficult for me to learn taiko using it.

I can think of one reason not to want auto sign in on your console. A few years back, my apartment was burglarized and my xbox 360 was stolen. Luckily I had put a pass code on my profile, otherwise whoever stole it could have accessed my profile and done who knows what with it.

Guys - great podcast, as usual.  It's actually the only one I listen to.  I love the site, and I've saved a lot of money b/c of it.  THANK YOU.

I'm a lifelong gamer.  Since the Atari was under my Christmas tree back in 1979 I've owned pretty much every system of relevance.  I love buying new consoles, and many times I've been a day-one early adopter.

BUT...Shipwrecks riff on how he attempts to turn on his XBox One is EXACTLY why I don't think I'll ever purchase that system.  It just seems like a real pain in the ass.  Thanks for reminding me.

Thanks for the show fellas!

Toss my hat into the ring for the Infamous:SS contest.  

CAG #359

1:00 Titanfall
3:45 CheapyD, Taiko Master.
8:45 Show Feedback
8:45 - Wombat, Beat boxing Master.
9:45 - Infamous.
12:45 - Moving to the states?
16:45 Watch This: Arrow
17:30 - Cosmos
18:15 - Catching Fire
19:00 New Releases
19:00 - Dark Souls II
21:15 - Titanfall; XBL woes
36:30 Project Spark Beta
43:30 Towerfall
48:00 More Titanfall
51:15 Yoshi's Island
54:00 Jack Tretton left Sony
56:30 Nintendo advertising in iphone games
58:15 Cagbag
58:15 - NFS Rivals vs Most Wanted
1:00:00 - Sites as news sources

A taiko game came out in America for PS2 and it bombed... hard. I bought two copies of Taiko Drum Master for $15.00 from Best Buy a long time ago. It's pretty much Donkey Konga btw. Donkey Konga came later though. How does Cheapy not know of this game? I thought it was super popular in Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiko:_Drum_Master

BTW I bet Wombat's kid really wasn't sleepy because Daylight Savings Time screwed up her sleeping routine. At least that's my guess.
This guy even looks like Cheapy.

250px-Taiko_Drum_Master_PS2_US_front_400px.jpg

How can Shipwreck say that "Xbox Live crashing is excusable" the day that the biggest game on XboxOne this year releases?  What happened to all these thousands of servers and the infinite power of the cloud?  Are you kidding me?  I feel like I wasted 500 bucks on this system that has nothing to play and nothing coming in the near future.

How can Shipwreck say that "Xbox Live crashing is excusable" the day that the biggest game on XboxOne this year releases? What happened to all these thousands of servers and the infinite power of the cloud? Are you kidding me? I feel like I wasted 500 bucks on this system that has nothing to play and nothing coming in the near future.
It was fixed last night, right?

Yeah it was but how could it even happen since the Beta went so smooth?
Presumably more people bought the game and logged into Live at around the same time which put too much pressure on the servers. Stuff like this always happens with big online games.

I guess wombat was right

Titanfall for me is a bust, Graphics aren't so good and no single player storyline aka no background story. after 12hrs in, i can feel like i'm going to stop playing in 2.5 weeks. the multiplayer got boring for after 6hrs in. I kept on telling myself once i unlock more items i would get better but nope. 

Might go trade it in for max credit tomorrow.

Great CAGcast this week.  Could use more Arrow talk.

Have a great vacation Wombat!  Can't wait to hear all the bad Jamaican accents on the next 'cast.

FYI: I buy the BF4 Season Pass digital download on amazon for $50 to convert amazon credit to xbox credit. It's just a $50 XBL point card. 

Haha nice show.

I actually fell asleep with headphones on listening to the show and the banging drums at the end woke me the fuck  up.  I was so confused and scared, wondering what the heck was happening to me  :shock: :shock:. In my haze I even flung my headphones along with my iphone across the bed. Finally it took me a minute to get my bearings and figure out what was going on; bad cheapy bad  :shame:  :rofl:. Give some warning in the future......

Wombat was so negative this week. If I wanted to hear an internet gaming personality hate everything, I would've listened to Jim Sterling on Destructoid. No, I'm kidding. Nobody would do that to themselves on purpose.

dark souls 2 is 10x the game titanfall is. too bad you guys are pussys.

It had nothing to do with the servers that Titanfall was running on. It was only the Microsoft sign-in authentication servers. Arthur Gies from Polygon was saying on Twitter that it was possibly a DDoS attack. Twitter went down for 30 minutes, Github, Salesforce, Feedly and Battle.net all had login issues around the same time.

Listening to this weeks podcast got me thinking about the future of multiplayer. Cheapy mentioned only playing a few minutes of Titanfall and Shipwreck commented about not having a half hour to commit to a mulitplayer match. This seems to be more common complaint then ever before. Even with the growth of gaming remaining strong with younger players, the core gamer is still in their 30's so they are more likely to have a spouse, children, or both. Do you think that drop in/ drop out multiplayer, like how Destiny was presented, is going to become the norm in the next few years?

Listening to this weeks podcast got me thinking about the future of multiplayer. Cheapy mentioned only playing a few minutes of Titanfall and Shipwreck commented about not having a half hour to commit to a mulitplayer match. This seems to be more common complaint then ever before. Even with the growth of gaming remaining strong with younger players, the core gamer is still in their 30's so they are more likely to have a spouse, children, or both. Do you think that drop in/ drop out multiplayer, like how Destiny was presented, is going to become the norm in the next few years?
+1 for drop in drop out multiplayer! Lobbies are lame.

It sounded like Wombat didn't try any of the many awesome User Created levels in Project Spark. The recreation of Fable 1 is pretty amazing. I played a Zelda-like game with multiple worlds and quests. The pinball level, while a little janky is pretty impressive too. Dakotris 2.0 is a fun Tetris game. There's even a section in the marketplace called Starter Kits, which are pre-created games that you can remix so you don't have to start from scratch.

Also, I'd like to try and clarify how the game's monetization works. If someone created a level using only the base free content (which the vast majority of top levels have been made with), you can play that level for an unlimited amount of time.

If someone created a level using premium content, you have to use Spark Power (unless you have purchased that creation pack). You get 30 minutes of free Spark Power a day, which is plenty right now to try out different creations. You can buy Spark Power using Credits (Earned through playing) or Spark Tokens (purchased with cash). 1 day of unlimited play = 100 Spark Tokens($1) or 30 days for 1200 Tokens($12).

Most of the creation packs cost $10 each and you could buy everything right now for less than $60 like Wombat said. But, there's a ton of fun to be had here for free. Just remember, this is an actual Beta - not one of those betas thats essentially a crafted demo - but anything you create or purchase will carry over when the game if fully released (probably this fall).

Edit: Project Spark has changed their pricing structure for the now completely open Beta (and final game). Details are here: http://projectsparkblog.tumblr.com/post/79996729818/project-spark-changes-spark-time-upload-slots

Basically, if all you want to do is play other people's creations, you never have to spend a dime now. 

Cheapy, Kinect is in Project Spark. You can do motion capture for your heroes (or enemies) and voice-over too I believe.

Destiny is most definitely not a drop in, drop out multiplayer game. It is a story-based, exploration-heavy shooter with long mission quests similar to Borderlands.

Destiny is most definitely not a drop in, drop out multiplayer game. It is a story-based, exploration-heavy shooter with long mission quests similar to Borderlands.
Sorry if I was unclear on what I was referring to, but I meant the large scale battles where large groups of players will be randomly put together to take on a big fight. No lobbies or matchmaking, just some points in the game you just walk into an open area and suddenly you are with a bunch of human players as well.

As a Midwest resident who bought something called Senran Kagura Burst at launch, I can't tell you how delighted I am that someone finally made a nod to Sensei Moko.  I feel like there's a solid idea in that Kinect taiko game.  Slap that hot hot Indie label on it and you'll outdo Taiko Drum Master to infinity.

Sorry if I was unclear on what I was referring to, but I meant the large scale battles where large groups of players will be randomly put together to take on a big fight. No lobbies or matchmaking, just some points in the game you just walk into an open area and suddenly you are with a bunch of human players as well.
Ah, ok! If you want an experience similar to Destiny right now, try the Defiance MMO. It's remarkably similar to what Destiny is going for.

It had nothing to do with the servers that Titanfall was running on. It was only the Microsoft sign-in authentication servers. Arthur Gies from Polygon was saying on Twitter that it was possibly a DDoS attack. Twitter went down for 30 minutes, Github, Salesforce, Feedly and Battle.net all had login issues around the same time.
That's the first I've heard of that but that makes sense. I was shocked that Live would go down with the server load of any game.

That's the first I've heard of that but that makes sense. I was shocked that Live would go down with the server load of any game.
Add one more to the list: Steam has been down for the past several hours now. Something must be awry on the internet :|

already been done. its call MAG

problem was that that map was too huge and people kept on going Rambo.

I hope to god that the differences outweigh the similarities.
I did a playtest at Bungie and while I can't talk about the game, I can say they had numerous copies of the Defiance game around the office. Watching the videos they've released where a bunch of players fought a giant bug/mech and then playing Defiance where I fought a giant bug and creepers with 20 other players - there are definitely some similarities.

I love the show!

And here's the but..

Why does it seem like every week Wombat has an issue with something not working on Xbox One - and he's always "that" guy who is having the problem? This week, he had trouble signing in while Cheapy and Shipwreck didn't (nor did I). The week before, he had a friend over to play Xbox One and all they got was a black screen and audio. Does Wombat just have issues with all electronics? I remember in an earlier podcast as well, he got the BSOD on his PC. BSOD? Do those still happen in 2014??

:)

How can Shipwreck say that "Xbox Live crashing is excusable" the day that the biggest game on XboxOne this year releases? What happened to all these thousands of servers and the infinite power of the cloud? Are you kidding me? I feel like I wasted 500 bucks on this system that has nothing to play and nothing coming in the near future.
I feel bad that Shipwreck still has problems with the voice commands. They have always worked great for me, including "Xbox On", "Xbox Sign in - Choose this person"

Supposedly the Titanfall servers were only turned on like a day and a half (one of the reviews mention) before the embargo ended so anyone who got review codes had hardly any time at which they might get tired of it. Had reviewers had more time with the game I wonder if some of the scores might have been lower since so many of those reviews are written in the "honeymoon" phase.

Of the 3 games Dark Souls 2 supposedly is more evenly balanced at the beginning to help new players ease into it. Fast travel is unlocked from the start, if you kill any enemy enough times it will stop respawning after you die, etc. The PC was also the lead platform this time instead of an afterthought so I imagine it will look quite nice when it is released in late April.

Supposedly the Titanfall servers were only turned on like a day and a half (one of the reviews mention) before the embargo ended so anyone who got review codes had hardly any time at which they might get tired of it. Had reviewers had more time with the game I wonder if some of the scores might have been lower since so many of those reviews are written in the "honeymoon" phase.

Of the 3 games Dark Souls 2 supposedly is more evenly balanced at the beginning to help new players ease into it. Fast travel is unlocked from the start, if you kill any enemy enough times it will stop respawning after you die, etc. The PC was also the lead platform this time instead of an afterthought so I imagine it will look quite nice when it is released in late April.
All reviews are written in the "honeymoon" phase.

I am not sure if I am commenting on the right show here.  I think NFS Rivals is a much better game then Most Wanted (2).  The world was better in Rivals as it could be populated with real world drivers if you wanted.  Also find cars in MW was lame as most of the were effing DLC and they would point you to the EA Store.

RIVALS > MW  In my humble opinion!

I am not sure if I am commenting on the right show here. I think NFS Rivals is a much better game then Most Wanted (2). The world was better in Rivals as it could be populated with real world drivers if you wanted. Also find cars in MW was lame as most of the were effing DLC and they would point you to the EA Store.

RIVALS > MW In my humble opinion!
It's funny. I don't know really why EA did this (or whomever made the decision) but why the heck was the NFS in 2012 called Most Wanted? NFS Most Wanted was one of the first NFS games on Xbox 360, and it was awesome. I loved it. But then, 6 years later, they release another NFS with the same title?

It's like the next COD being called COD: World at War (which came in 2008). So confusing!

I watched IGN's review of DS 2, and CheapyD was right - the player movements look incredibly awkward. I don't know, maybe it's just the style of the game. The review also said the single player story is 60 hours. Wow! Cheapy is right again.. to play a DS2 game, it requires a ton of dedication.

But of course, I have logged countless days into WoW, so maybe I'm not one to judge :)

bread's done
Back