CAGcast #363: I'd Rather Be Playing HearthStone

why is ANYONE making games for the new consoles? The sales numbers arent there.

If I were in the game making business, I'd make games for a market that is already established. 

Last edited by a moderator:
why is ANYONE making games for the new consoles? The sales numbers arent there.

If I were in the game making business, I'd make games for a market that is already established.
The 11+ million people who already bought the new consoles are hungry for games. That is why Titanfall and Infamous were at the top of the NPD charts for March. The bottom is falling out of the 360 and PS3 software market in a hurry as people move into the new generation.

For example, Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes sold far better at retail in the US on new gen than it did on old gen: 204K on PS4/XB1, 74K on PS3/360.

https://twitter.com/gibbogame/status/457010243940003841

with 200 million 'old gen' units already in homes, I don't see why anyone (except first party) would sink money into a AAA new gen game when at best you are going to sell 10 million copies. Not to mention the bazillion people already on steam or IOS. It seems to be too much risk.

with 200 million 'old gen' units already in homes, I don't see why anyone (except first party) would sink money into a AAA new gen game when at best you are going to sell 10 million copies. Not to mention the bazillion people already on steam or IOS. It seems to be too much risk.
I think part of it is that on old consoles, there is already a large number of games available for them. Whereas there are 10 million new console users who are salivating at the idea of any new games.

Publishers can roll the dice in one of two ways. Take a chance on new gen and hope that the lack of games will help propel their game to more sales because people want to play ANYTHING, or release on last gen and hope there's enough interest to sell good numbers even with a larger library of games to compete with.

Because owners of the new consoles are far more likely to pay $60 for a game at launch This why games like Batman Arkham Knight are not going to be on old gen consoles.

Not sure if you'll see this at this point Shipwreck, but I've been playing Demon Gaze and I had the same problem you did with getting to and defeating Mars(the demon you're talking about). It's kind of a bitch move of the devs to put that lava right before her fight and then have her create enemies that block your attacks on her. However, I had luck once I added a 3rd party member to my group by purchasing another room from the Manager(they start at level 1 though, so you'll need to level them just a bit and give them some decent gear). You can also heal yourself after you step on the lava, but it obviously uses your MP and/or items which you'll probably need during the fight. I wound up beating her with only the main character alive, but I finally did it. The next demon was much easier because after summoning her Mars does a bunch of damage when she attacks. To make things easier on yourself you can also change the difficulty by visiting Prometh in the basement of the inn.

Anyway, great show again guys.

bread's done
Back