CAGcast #374: You're Welcome, Everyone

But you can play dirt cheap educational games on your hand-me down iPhone too.   That's no solution.  Plus Nintendo would have to divert resources from making one of their big franchises to making an educational game.  And then your hardware is nothing special for educational games compared to an iPhone.  The 3ds at least has dedicated gaming hardware controls.    PLus I think it would be naive to think that Nintendo hasn't previously thought about and rejected getting into educational software.

No I think they have to seriously look at supporting just one platform or releasing the same game for both platforms at the same time and letting the customer pay once (or once and a small fee) to play on either.  It's a lot to ask a consumer to buy a 3ds for each kid and then a Wii U when you have smartphones and then the Wii U doesn't play anything but Nintendo games.  They are going to have to do something about this.

They should go all digital next-gen and drop their game pricing to reflect this.   IT would probably allow them to expand their profit margin.  Even with lowered prices they might make more money up front and then surely on the back end the lack of a resale market would only help profits and increase sales.  Plus the carts are so easy to lose.

Next I think it is easy to forget that much of the lack of success this generation was due to the 3d and the GAmepad just not being as big of hits as Nintendo had hoped.  The solution to this is try something new again.  You see big directors or stars  make movies and they aren't all winners.   I see the same sort of thing here.  Nintendo swung and missed.  Time to get back up, dust yourself off and go at it again with your latest best idea.

I also think they should open up some stores in the US to help spread the word.  And then do more to support the North American market.  My kids really like this Spotpass feature where you get hits via Wifi from other 3ds owners and their Miis fight for you or give you items to use in the SpotPass games  It's pretty cool, but how many know about this?  Plus it doesn't work as good as it could in the US because we're spread out more unless you live in a huge city. They have improved that, but it can be even better.  What if your phone or your parent's phone could get hits and then update your 3ds automatically?  Anyway they need more places to show off these kinds of things and they need to be more aware of their market over here for these things.   The 3 yr old 3ds display at Best Buy still running PilotWings doesn't cut it.  

And obviously it would help to make their hardware a bit cooler.  And make  their services work better.  

Cheapie's thinking process is parents will buy a 3ds if it more than just games.  Well Nintendo promotes exercise.   You get coins for walking around with the 3ds in your pocket.  The coins are rewards to use in some games like the SpotPass games and the kids get exercise.  They just need to promote this stuff more and make it work better.    And everyone makes fun of Nintendo's continued use of text in games instead of voice-overs but what is that but educational?  MOtivates kids to read or at last they have to practice their reading or gasp parents have an excuse to interact with their kid and read some text.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one wanted to see Edge of Tomorrow because it looked too much like his previous movie.  

My first reaction was ...didn't he just make that movie?  I just saw that.  It was ok.  space, Cruise, future, memory problems, ....

That's the type of decision making that goes on with the general public.   :)

To hear later that it is actually good well that takes awhile to put into action for most of us.  LIke ok I'll see that.  But by then your theatre is barely playing the movie.  And when you finally decide to go they just dropped it and you'll have to wait for the rental market.

Not a mental problem really, just dont have room for digital downloads. Youd think theyd sell them cheaper and give you a ton of HD space but they dont. I can buy games from stores cheaper than digital and it takes forever to download expecially on psn. And psn takes an hour to install a game. Its not very efficient to me

bread's done
Back