CAGcast #383: It's a Trap (Team)!

I don't think Microsoft paid or had anything to do with making Assassin's Creed Unity 900p on PS4 when we've already had an AC game on PS4 that's been 1080p. To me it seems like a case of Ubisoft being Ubisoft. Like when they delayed the complete Wii U version of Rayman Legends to port it to other platforms.

They do stupid shit because they're Ubisoft.

I don't think Microsoft paid or had anything to do with making Assassin's Creed Unity 900p on PS4 when we've already had an AC game on PS4 that's been 1080p. To me it seems like a case of Ubisoft being Ubisoft. Like when they delayed the complete Wii U version of Rayman Legends to port it to other platforms.

They do stupid shit because they're Ubisoft.
That would make sense if the "900p looks fine" excuse and such was only coming from ubi. It seems to be a crafted message passed onto many different sources that is being repeated by a lot of news outlets. I think with any major release like this there is a fear of rocking the boat by the games media, no one wants to actually call them on this because this is a huge company with a lot of money. Those sites depend on access to games like this so it's likely a case of toe the line for us (ubi) or we won't talk to you anymore.

With games that cost this much to make there is zero tolerance for discussion that doesn't help sales in some way. We've seen debs blow up on twitter at game sites that step out of line and trash expensive games. This is ultimately what gamer gate is trying to make people aware of. A lot of gaming news outlets put the interests of big publishers first. Sites that don't simply won't be able to stay in business. YouTube personalities like total biscuit end up having more credibility because their cost to operate is low enough that they don't have to bow to the big money to stay afloat.

I think it's pretty obvious ubi doesn't want the PS4 version running any better than the Xbox version simply because it would undermine their deals with ms.

The PS4 can run the game at 1080p but what does ubi gain if that happens. Probably less than they gain by keeping ms happy and it would not be surprising to find something in writing saying they can't make the other platform have higher specs / performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back