CAGcast #423: Leather Jackets Come First

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang talks Transformers: Devastation, Star Wars Battlefront Beta, Rock Band 4, console price drops and bundlemania, and so much more!
Download (1 hours 14 minutes) - iTunes - Stitcher - RSS

https://audioboom.com/boos/3672373-cagcast-423-leather-jackets-come-first/

Get $5 off your order (with free shipping) at http://www.harrys.com with coupon code cagcast

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro - Yomanda - Sunshine (Original Mix)

Outro -  G1 Superion and Menasor Commercial

RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you say waiting on line I think of waiting for a webpage to load.

And the Wii U is like a Vita. Only 1st party and indie games.

Not all the Xbox One bundles will be available for all the retailers. Some are retailer exclusives.

Elite Bundle is exclusive to Gamestop (1 month exclusive)

Tomb Raider Bundle is exclusive to Best Buy

Gears of War UE White Xbox Bundle is exclusive to Walmart

Try an ESD safe brush for the iPhone ports. You should be able to get a small one cheaply from Amazon. The old 30 pin connector ports were very suceptable to schmutz that would prevent the pins from making a proper connection and I'm sure the Lightning connector ports are too.

I didn't like the preview build of Shenmue 3, when it could've clearly used Sega's Yakuza tech.

How is the new Transformers game compared to the last great one, Fall of Cybertron? It appears I would like this new one a lot, especially when most of the fighting is done hand by hand. I saw a review of FoC, and it looks like that one is just a shooter like any other Western game. It just sounds wack that it's not on a Nintendo console due to the kiddy aesthetic, yet is on PS3 and 360. Get your sh- together NIntendo!

Wombat and CheapyD, you really should check out I'll Have What's Phil's Having on PBS as a Watch This Bitches. This week's episode was Italy. It was pretty nuts. Cow tongue sandwiches,; unseasoned burnt steaks on the outside, raw in the inside; dinner theater; and how gelato is made!

At least you guys don't watch Heroes Reborn, because that show is just godawful compared to Agents of Shield. Both shows are about saving the mutants, giving them different names, and all about secret organizations getting to them, but one does it so much worse. NBC just doesn't care anymore if they have to kill off like 90% of the previous series' cast.

Troy Baker was the voice actor of Kanji in "Persona 4." Matthew Mercer was the voice actor of Kanji in "Persona 4 Arena" and "Persona 4 Dancing All Night." You cannot tell the difference, they sound exacty the same.

You would never be able to do this with film. . . you could not get a guy who looks and sounds like Tom Cruise to replace him. In the video game industry you can swap out people quite easily. If voice actors go on strike, I am willing to bet that non-SAG soundalikes will glady take their place.

To be honest I hope they take their budget for Shenmue 3 and try to make it look somewhat like Shenmue 1&2. I think it would be a creative art style that wouldn't hurt their pockets and would harken back to the nostalgia factor that many games are doing these days.

Why are puppies sad that Minecraft from Telltale is family friendly? Last I heard on this podcast, Target is flush with Minecraft merchandise, kids love the game and the stories that come from it. Are there people angry that Lego games aren't violent and bloody? I wouldn't be surprised if this game is Telltale's record breaker. I mean Back to the Future the game didn't do THAT well did it?

Wombat when I had an iPhone every once in a while I got a tooth pick and cleaned out my charger port. Makes a big difference.

I went and looked at Cheapy's Twitter and the guy who was angry about Minecraft Story Mode has replied to a bunch of Rockstar Games tweets about various GTA Online events and stuff with "Yawns." So that's how he spends his time.

Here's basically what Windows 10 on Xbox One means. Even though they didn't shout about it Xbox One runs on the same guts, kernels and drivers, that Windows 8 did. It also shared a lot of the same UI elements. Windows 10 to Xbox One means just like your PC the OS guts are getting updated as is the UI. Just like your PC, better performance and more stability.

Got my first Harry's box! 

Anyhoo, coming up on 2 years into this gen, and there's (IMO) wayyyy too many remasters/ultimates/ect..  So was it poor planning on the Manufacturer's part, short ideas on the developers part, or a shallow market based on us buyers?

Just an FYI that you can get non-colored connected light bulbs. I personally use the GE Link bulbs with a Wink hub throughout my house. The bulbs are significantly cheaper (around $15 each). 

Not sure how interested you'd be in non-colored bulbs, but they're pretty nice and work with a lot of other products. Or you could go with buying connected switches and using regular bulbs. The Wink website has a pretty long list of their supported products (Hue included). 

http://www.wink.com/products/

Here's basically what Windows 10 on Xbox One means. Even though they didn't shout about it Xbox One runs on the same guts, kernels and drivers, that Windows 8 did. It also shared a lot of the same UI elements. Windows 10 to Xbox One means just like your PC the OS guts are getting updated as is the UI. Just like your PC, better performance and more stability.
A version of Windows 8 is currently driving the UI part of XBox One including all of the apps like Netflix, Twitch, etc. Microsoft is upgrading this to Windows 10 which may have some performance improvments for the apps and adds some other features.

From what Microsoft folks said at launch, the games run in a more bare-bones OS than Windows that includes Direct X (of course) but not the all the features of regular Windows. This split is done by running two special virtual machines, one for games, and one for the UI and apps. For those who run virutal machines on their PCs, the hypervisor for XBox One was specially customized to prioritize games and their resources.

A toothpick works great to clear out iPhone fluff. So does a squirt of compressed air from a can. 

Fun episode with the whole team back together. The recent PS4 bundles make me more tempted to pick up a bundle come Xmas time; currently have a Xbox One, WiiU, and a wheezing PS3. 

The main benefit of Windows 10 on Xbox is that it will enable developers to publish Universal Windows Apps & mobile games to the Windows app store on phone, PC and Xbox with only minor UI adjustments required. An example they demoed at the developer conference was the USA Today app made for Windows 10 which as you'd expect featured news articles on phone/PC but on Xbox was completely centered around the video content in the app instead. Theoretically you could publish a podcast app for Windows 10 PC, Xbox, & phone without having to change almost any of your code. This is very different from Mac OS, iOS and Apple TV where a developer has to rewrite an app for each one of those platforms. A Windows 10 developer can code once and publish their mobile game or app to Xbox/PC/phone. The other advantage that Windows 10 will bring are the development bridges that make it easy for developers to port apps and games from iOS and Android to Windows 10. What this means for consumers is more apps, faster updates, and in some cases the ability to buy an app/game once and own it on your Windows PC, Xbox, and phone. Cross buy will be up to the publisher to decide though.

Based on my brief time with the Xbox Preview Experience on the new Xbox One "Win 10" dashboard, the whole experience is very buggy and prone to crashes... Yet the UI itself is much less cluttered. The whole look is more vertical. Imagine having different tabs to access Games / Store / Etc. and scrolling down to find stuff instead of scrolling across large blocks as with the old "Metro / Win 8" interface. 

It's not there yet, but it's an improvement. 

I find it interesting the Deus Ex pre-order got so much hate. It was a bad idea for sure, but these kinds of pre-order unlock schemes have been happening on Steam for a while now. Currently there's one for Tales of Zestiria http://store.steampowered.com/app/351970/ and the top tier(which is already unlocked) nets everyone who pre-orders a free copy of Tales of Symphonia when that releases for PC next year. There was a tiered pre-order unlock system when Bioshock Infinite came out as well.

I went and looked at Cheapy's Twitter and the guy who was angry about Minecraft Story Mode has replied to a bunch of Rockstar Games tweets about various GTA Online events and stuff with "Yawns." So that's how he spends his time.

And that's how you spend your time

The main benefit of Windows 10 on Xbox is that it will enable developers to publish Universal Windows Apps & mobile games to the Windows app store on phone, PC and Xbox with only minor UI adjustments required.
Yes, there was clearly some confusion on the Cagcast about what the "Windows 10" update for the XBox One would entail.

In the past year or so, Microsoft has been making a big push to expand their development environments. They recently open-sourced the C# programming language and .NET framework, technologies that had previously been closed, and very Windows-centric. (aside from community-driven solutions like Mono) Windows 10 has been a big part of this push. Microsoft has specifically made versions of Windows 10 that can be run on much more hardware platforms than previous versions of their operating system. It is now possible to install a version of Windows 10 called "Windows IoT" on a Raspberry Pi 2. (an affordable micro-computer)

Their Universal App System is a cornerstone of their new development initiative. It is a direct response to game engines like Unity, and web-application systems like Node-JS. When you develop an application in Visual Studio 2015 for their Universal App platform, it is possible to deploy that application to any number of different devices. Universal Apps will be able to run on the XBox One as well as desktop Windows PCs. They will also work natively with any Windows Phone. Moreover, the User Interface designer for these Universal Apps is designed to automatically scale based on what platform you are using them on. So the entire UI can be flexibly re-sized or re-configured based on what screen-size and input device is currently being used. In this way the application can be compiled once, yet run anywhere.

Naturally, there are some limitations. In order to compile a Universal App for iOS, you need a third-party library that is not free. This might change in the future, but it how Universal Apps are ported to iOS for the time being. It's actually quite remarkable that this is possible at all.

The draw of this initiative is for Microsoft to get as many developers as possible working in their development environment and using the programming languages and tools that they provide. For video game players, it may mean a lot more general-purpose software making its way to the XBox One. Of course, the on-line store for the XBox One is still going to be curated by Microsoft, so don't expect to see a bunch of non-gaming apps show up all of a sudden. Just because something CAN be ported to the XBox One with ease doesn't mean Microsoft thinks it SHOULD. And they are still the gate-keepers for the XBox One's on-line marketplace.

Doesn't Xbox One via Windows 10 feel kinda like what they did with the Dreamcast and Windows CE? Granted that the Dreamcast used primarily Sega's Naomi, but allowed CE games to run. I guess consoles these days used more than what the companies intended to 15 years ago. We've been running Netflix, Hulu, and whathaveyou on Sony and Microsoft closed OSes. Windows 10 means it's time to make these things much easier.

bread's done
Back