CAGcast #507: Doomfoot

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang talks NES and SNES Classic follies, Yonder, NHL 18 Beta, The Big Sick, Ready Player One, and so much more!
Download (1 hour 29 minutes) - iTunes - Google Play - Stitcher - RSS  - YouTube

Today's show is brought to you by Harry's, please visit http://www.harrys.com/cag to get your free trial set!
Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro - Kygo, Selena Gomez - It Ain't Me (Tommy Jayden & Kovan Remix)
Outro - CAGcast Clip: Wombat's Xbox Gamer Spotlight Experience
RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
CAGcast on YouTube
Facebook
Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear about your foot Wombat, but getting old isn't for pussies!

The after the show clip about Wombat being the spot light gamer of the week was entertaining.  This must have happened when I fell off listening to the show for some years.  For anyone who has ever played with the unwashed masses of Xbox LIVE this should not be surprising, but still I found myself stunned an disgusted.  It was a great reminder of why I only play with friends or friends of friends.  These Xbox gangsters an controller commandos really ruin everything about online gaming and the internet in general.

Makes me think about starting a thread on CAG about your worst online gaming experience, and have people share their war stories.  I would love to hear from any female CAGs about their experiences online.  From what I have seen and heard they are treated far worse then I can ever imagine.

Comments? You want comments!? I'll give you comments!

I love your show and have been listening quietly for years! You guys are great! I still can't believe Wombat got hit by a Bus! A BUS!? Who gets hit by a Bus!? But thank god you're ok! 

It's also awesome that you're living in New York now Cheapy!

Best movie I've seen lately is Baby Driver, awesome movie, highly recommended! My wife and I were going to see either The Big Sick or Baby Driver and Baby driver was at the better time so it won. 

Keep up the great work! And can you please use your industry contacts to make Horizon Zero Dawn go on sale for $30? I'd like to buy it for $30 and I need your help!

at the beginning, wombat told his story about going to the dentist and having a TV and noise cancelling headphones... he's already said this.... how often are you going to the Dentist, whats wrong?

Also, Wombat sounds very spoiled and privileged.

White-boy in Ohio is in the middle.

Baldy has the best down-to-earth attitude.

"We lost 17 of our best men." - Had to be one of the funniest lines I've ever heard in the theater. I was crying laughing.

32:08 

CheapyD: "...5 precision engineered blades with a lubricating shit strip, and a trimmer blade"

Shipwreck: "What kind of strip?"

--  I'm literally dying from this for the past 5 minutes!!!! I've been laughing and choking on Junior Mints trying to compose myself...

Sorry bout your foot, Wombat. Sounds like it might be gout or a nerve issue if your pain suddenly became worse without any injury. Please let us know what the final diagnosis is. 

Shipwreck, your basement video was great! Love your theater room and pinball machines, your family is lucky to have such a cool dad. You have an amazing collection of boxes in your cabinets! Jk

Cheapy, does your house have a basement? You should do a video tour also. 

Feel better Wombat!

The video was great Ship!

I decided to check out the dreamcade, but it seems their kickstarter is currently suspended due to possible copyright issues. Hopefully it will be resolved so I can check it out.

Ship, why do you have a PS2 and PS2 Slim?  I forget what the deal with PS2's were, was the fat one backwards compatible but the slim wasn't?  I don't think I noticed a PS1 unless I missed it.

Great show, as usual guys . I recently realized that I've been listening to you guys for over 10 years now! I remember listening to the show on my lunch break at McDonalds in Pittsburgh Pa, while you were talking about the FIRST Transformers movie back in 2007. Of course I remember Wombat's gamer spotlight "fame". Hearing that segment again was both hilarious and saddening. Many podcasts have come and gone over the years, but the CAGcast remains one of the few constants in my life. It's like hanging out with three long time friends every time I listen. I want to thank all three of you for the years of great entertainment! I can't wait for episode 1000!

P.s. Wombat, sorry about your foot. I hope they figure it out and it gets better asap!

I forgot how awful those messages were when you were the spotlight gamer. I laughed at the beginning but again as soon as I heard people actually reading stuff, it wasnt funny anymore

Did Ship say he was going to hate-watch Ready Player One, but worries it might not have the focused vision of Pixles?  It’s hard to not focus your movie when the source material is a 2 ½ minute youtube video.  The guy who made jaws, Schindler’s List and Lincoln gets to do whatever he wants with the worlds full support and enthusiasm! 

Thanks for taking the time to make basement video Ship, it was fantastic and appreciated.  Also, I read The Forever War on the shows recommendation and it was great too!  Thanks for everything!

Cheapy, I agree with you that Ready Player One is not an interesting read. It was just to many lists or plot points that were just too long. However, listening to the audiobook made it a little better. Alot of the book could be skipped though. I did enjoy the overall story.

Ship, loved the game room video. Do you actually play on the consoles or do you use a retron for normal play?

Wombat, what was your MCU marathon list?  Also I remember the episode with the spotlight debacle.  That's the day I decided to shut off all chat functionality.  

I thought it would have come up on the show, but the Switch continues to sell very well at the $300 price point. Nintendo announced this week that they sold 1.96m Switches in the last quarter, for a total of 4.7m after four months.  By comparison the WiiU had only moved 3.45m after four and a half months, and 3.9m after 10 and a half months.

at the beginning, wombat told his story about going to the dentist and having a TV and noise cancelling headphones... he's already said this.... how often are you going to the Dentist, whats wrong?

Wombat has said before that he has genetically horrible teeth. Between that and the foot, we know he wont be the mold for future super humans.

Great show as always guys - I really enjoyed it. 

I'm sorry to hear about your foot Wombat. Judging from your description, I would say it's probably Leprosy. Get well soon!  :D

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

RE: the Wal-Mart SNES mini preorders

I don't think it was a screw-up at all. As you read in Console Wars, Nintendo is likely to short retailers on their orders. And retailers don't like it any more than retail customers do. I think Wal-Mart took those pre-orders so they could then hand a big order number to Wal-Mart with a justification to Nintendo that they should send a lot of units to Wal-Mart. Nintendo sets to sell units. Wal-Mart gets to sell units. Customers get to buy units. Everyone wins.

And Nintendo simply wasn't having any of it.

To Ciscomancer and others, IP disputes don't really matter. You can't put together that unit with an Intel chip and Windows and sell it for $99 and do anything but lose a lot of money. Buying the Intel chip would take half the $99 at least. Costs for emulation software would just add even more losses. At $99 it's too good to be true. It isn't true.

Yep. The Dreamcade Kickstarter was cancelled.
The Dreamcade Kickstarter is not cancelled. It went through an IP dispute with Atari's lawyers even though they are currently working with Atari to license pre-loaded games. And now it is back up and active on Kickstarter.

I absolutely think this thing will come to fruition as the company has been shipping home arcade machines for nearly 15 years. They aren't an upstart, they know what they are doing. On top of that, they are in constant communication with everyone on almost a daily basis. They instantly answer any questions I ask as well.

The Dreamcade Kickstarter is not cancelled. It went through an IP dispute with Atari's lawyers even though they are currently working with Atari to license pre-loaded games. And now it is back up and active on Kickstarter.

I absolutely think this thing will come to fruition as the company has been shipping home arcade machines for nearly 15 years. They aren't an upstart, they know what they are doing. On top of that, they are in constant communication with everyone on almost a daily basis. They instantly answer any questions I ask as well.
Geez. Bite my head off why don't you. When I checked yesterday, the page said "cancelled by project creator". Forgive me for not going back to check on a dead body.

I think a simple "Nah, it's back up." would've sufficed.

Wow, Shipwreck, that is an amazing basement - even without all of the man toys.

I thought the end of the CAGcast about Wombat's gamer spotlight was hilarious, in a dark way.  Some of the things that people say on XBox (really any online service) are just horrible, but I tend to not take it personal at all, because people are Asstards.  I get tons of salty messages from dorks whenever I play a multiplayer game with randos where I perform: really well, really bad, just so-so.  I giggle and just report them and go on my merry way.  I get warm fuzzies when I get a message from XBox enforcement that action was taken on my report.  If the messages are especially creative, I sometimes message them back to congratulate them.  That seems to make them even more salty.  Some people just can't handle compliments:)

Cheapy could you add episode 170 to the cagcast rss? I wanted to relive the thrilling conclusion to the gamer spotlight story, but can't get it through the RSS feed

Edit: Nevermind, I just saw the full RSS feed at the bottom of the first post. Thanks

Geez. Bite my head off why don't you. When I checked yesterday, the page said "cancelled by project creator". Forgive me for not going back to check on a dead body.

I think a simple "Nah, it's back up." would've sufficed.
Wasn't meant in that tone at all. This was really a reply to multiple posts above about the same subject. I've had a lot of people contacting me about this.

Wasn't meant in that tone at all. This was really a reply to multiple posts above about the same subject. I've had a lot of people contacting me about this.
Nope. Sorry. No excuse. From now on, Wombat is my favorite Cagcaster.

thank you for the tour shipwreck, I've been waiting to see your setup. thanks agin for taking the time to make it happen. my wife came in at the halfway mark while I was watching the tour  (the console/cartridge part)  , she asked "how old is this guy and does he have kids ?" (I set her straight). by the way, your basement has more square footage than my house ! and I have no basement !

bread's done
Back