CAGcast #70: Need More Input(s)

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
CheapyD's parents fly into Tokyo to answer your questions and Wombat and Cheapy discuss the usual assortment of new releases, the latest gaming news, your questions from the CAGbag and much more!

Download - 94 minutes, 43MB

Past CAGcasts

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast70.mp3[/media]

Show Linkage/Notes
(click the button below to expand):

Bonus Videos/Pictures:

The family that Wiis together...
miis.jpg

wiicheapy.jpg
wiidad.jpg
wiimom.jpg

Duke Saraie (the walking training guy)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrGDsGJUyCU[/media]

Yay for staying up till 3:30 AM (and beyond)! I am listening right now - you must have just put it up, as I checked at 2:30 or so and it wasn't there. Thanks for the bedtime stories, Cheapy. Actually, I'll try to get some work done while I listen ;).

OK, through the first part. :applause: for Wombat preordering Super Paper Mario. I hope it doesn't disappoint you. I did a trade 2 for 1 deal today as well (though for Mario Party 8) and got $3.90 extra back. It stems from the 10% boost that applies from the Edge card. They adjust your trade-ins to $50 total, and you get the extra $5 - very nice EB/GS PoS glitch there. I only got $3.90 because they tried to compensate for that but partially failed :lol:.

OK, done now... Nice job guys. Interesting to hear that Cheapy's parents are so involved with the site. It's something that would never have occured to me. And WTF on the comment about Wombat's accent? Maybe I don't know what a New York accent is, but I don't hear it. That's why it is so jarring to me when I hear you guys say MARY-oh, because otherwise I don't notice any accent - though Cheapy sounds eerily like a guy I work with. Really, I should record him for you guys - it would be the equivalent of the Cheapy lookalike-actor picture someone posted last time. I think this guy grew up in NY, though he moved all over the country and now lives in Brazil.

Now, 5am, time for bed...

Tagged for listening comments later. Nice form on the Wii bowling.

At least 3 inputs??? Wow, no wonder Mrs. Wombat is so into you...what an imagination!

Wombat (or someone), can you add your Oblivion picks and pans into the Wombat's journal for posterity please? I have a bad memory, and it would make a nice reference for whenever I do end up getting the game...

Wombat, noticed that you mentioned that your birthday was on May 2nd. This is pretty meaningless but that's my birthday too! Turning 21, hope yours turns out to be as good as mine.

Mario Strikers Charged will have random matches with those not on your Game's Friends Roster. This is a common misconception with Nintendo's online that you need friend codes for online play. But, you usually get additional bonuses for playing against friends online.

IGN recently said Super Paper Mario is a buy title on their podcast, and they've been critical of Wii games in the eyes of some. Game Informer had the game at 2 8's and a 9, while GameRankings had one site giving the game an 8.5

Red vs. Blue is funny, and you can stream their recent episodes on their site, as well as watch previous entries on youtube, although the quality is iffy.

I too have had issues with a Slow Wii. I think it is because of a lack of playtime on it, as it only seems to happen when I come back to it after a few days. It doesn't seem to happen when I turn on my Wii for 3-4 minutes a day.

I think a point needs to be made about GTA4, and the earning points comment. Achievement points on the 360 may allow for this. An oversight on your part, I'm sure.

Overall, I give this episode of the CagCast an 8 out of 10. A couple of slipups here and there, but still good overall.

Great Cagcast guys.
I loved the segment with your parents. It really added something new to the show. This is really the best show since you had Mrs. Wombat and Mrs. Cheapy on. I would have liked Wombat to chime in a little more during that segment but, hey we all need a nap once in a while.

I would have liked a little more input on Shivering Isles as I also picked up the marketplace points with GH2 thanks to Cheapy. I have wanted to get back into Oblivion and the free points card makes the purchase so much easier to make.

Also, I know its a little late but I thought the 80's Karaoke contest was great stuff.

Great CAGCast this week guys. The Chester Cheetah commentary actually made me laugh out loud - literally. If Chester Cheetah "did a little dance and kicked a troll in the face." Comedy gold.

Anyway, thanks for reading my comments about last week's CAGCast. I gotta tell you, reading your own comments on a messageboard vs. hearing them spoken out loud is quite a contrast. I sounded like a whiny bitch. Anyway, keep up the good work.

I agree with Cheapy about Puzzle Quest on the DS after playing the PC version. It is quite a stark contrast. The special effects are missing, but the core gameplay is still there and the game is addictive as hell.

The section with your parents was great. These little moments of sharing your personal life with your community is what really makes the site so great. This ranks as one my favorite CAGCasts along with the podcast featuring your wives.

BTW, Wombat has about the least pronounced NYC accent that I have ever heard.

Wombats "three inputs" comment was probably the best yet, and he's had some real zingers!

"Do you have one of those models?" "Firmware update!" *tee-hee-hee*

Also I'd like to tell Wombat he inspired me to make my very first microtransaction! I dug out my old 200 Points card that came with my XBL Gold Camera bundle ($30 courtesy Buy.com, courtesy CAG), and plomped down the 80 points for the Spell Tomes. That's what? A dollar? Yeah, I better not regret this.

Also, I finally got around to digging the CAGcast, that's right, I'm your 600th DIG. Do I get a prize?

Great show, guys.

Cheapy, there seems to be two entries for #70 on www.digg.com

As for the show:

"Prince of Persia: Salami Party" made me laugh quite a bit.

Not sure what Wombat is talking about but your Wii shouldn't take that long to load. If it's still under warranty, I guess I wouldn't worry about it so much right now.

I highly recommend watching Red vs Blue, Cheapy. I think you'll like that style of humor quite a bit.

I really enjoyed the Q/A session with your parents, they seem really nice. Having them on the show also added a little bit of depth to the show, and kept Wombat quiet for a while.

[quote name='bobthecat23']cheapy can u not say soccer and say futboll[/QUOTE]
Japanese call it sakk?. Super Mario Strikers is a soccer game. The football version is called "Mario Smash Football". Even the game it was based on, "Super Soccer Slam" wasn't a "football" game, it was a "soccer" game.

So yeah, you fail. :p

Wow, you guys have outdone yourselves, the "three inputs" and "firmware update" joke was priceless!

Also, when you guys mentioned Chester Cheetah, I literally pictured Chester Cheetah :lol: , Cool Spot :cool: , and The Noid :hot: on a RPG battlefield gathering their chi for a triple-strike combo attack....

Anyways, the interview with Cheapy's parents was pretty cool; it was refreshing to hear how supportive Cheapy's parents were of the CAGcast as well as the website.

Great episode. Having your parents on was a really nice touch.

I thought I was the only one having that Wii-rdness with games taking forever to load up. When it first started happening I figured it had something to do with the Wii either checking something on the wifi network or finishing downloading/communicating with the "mothership." But now I'm not so sure.

Great show guys .
Cheapy Dad rules , you seem to have his sense of humor .

I hope I'm not known as the Cheapass Asskisser now after my comment .

Now it's definitely Wombat's turn to have a special guest .

Great show, way better than last week's which seemed to be bitter to my memory, could be wrong. It's rather funny how I didn't know you where Jewish until you said something on the cagcast awhile back, but when your parents started talking...

Anyways, if CheapyMom was talking about the Zoo Keeper that is like Bejeweled, a DS version came out two years ago. Might be hard to find these days, but it sure is fun with touch control. Also while she is still there, have her try out Puzzle Quest. Make sure to clean your DS first though.

Great 'cast. Your parents were good sports for answering questions, thank you cheapy parents! :)

It was cool to actually hear Wombat on an interview for once. Hope you get your man Wombat. I look forward to hearing an interview where you both have some input.

By the way, would the HDMI really make a difference on your TV Cheapy? I thought yours didn't do 1080p? Even so, I doubt it would make *that* much of a difference.

edit: Oh yeah, people should just Digg each CAGcast individually each week. It would probably be easier than having to Digg up a random article and the CAGcast would keep the Diggs.

Wombat - "Now I know where you get your voice from. Hi! I'm CheapyMom!"

I haven't laughed so hard in quite a while (sorry CheapyMom). Wombat, you're an ass for saying that but good lord was it funny! Totally unexpected.

The firmware joke was also priceless. It also made me think, "Wouldn't it be nice if a firmware upgrade actually existed?" :lol:

Good show over all. Thanks a ton.

Great show! Gotta love the parents. D&D comments make me laugh! "I didn't know what they were doing up there" ~Cheapy Ma

Keep up the great work. Love your laugh Cheapy... and Wombat's giggle!!

I'm surprised that both of you praised a PS2 game. It was probably the first time you've done so in several months, at least for a game you weren't paid to mention as an advertisement. While you guys are interested in talking about God of War, are either interested in the God of War games for PS3 and PSP?

I'm surprised that it only took until this week to start drooling for Guitar Hero II, instead of drooling over the game for the past few weeks.

Wombat's ignorance flared up when he lambasted Rock Band because MTV and EA are involved while completely ignoring that Harmonix is making the game. You ignored the fact that MTV were involved in both Guitar Hero games. Also, having MTV on board makes the music labels much more willing to allow Harmonix to use master recordings of the songs, while the Guitar Hero games could never get more than a handful of them in the main song list. As for EA, they're just the publisher and Harmonix has shown they're more than capable enough (Frequency, Amplitude, Karaoke Revolution, Guitar Hero) to make an awesome game that will live up to the hype without the publisher being much of a factor. There's even talk of free song downloads and even having multiple songs from one band or artist.

Also, Wombat, how are the Red vs. Blue episodes taking too long to download? Or are you referencing whatever they have up on the XBL Marketplace? On their website, the episodes are 10 to 30 MB each, which shouldn't take more than 30 seconds to download. I highly recommend it for either of you to watch them, as they're hilarious.

Otherwise, this was a really good show.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm surprised that both of you praised a PS2 game. It was probably the first time you've done so in several months, at least for a game you weren't paid to mention as an advertisement. While you guys are interested in talking about God of War, are either interested in the God of War games for PS3 and PSP?[/quote]

It's surprising when Wombat discusses any game outside of Oblivion.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm surprised that both of you praised a PS2 game. It was probably the first time you've done so in several months, at least for a game you weren't paid to mention as an advertisement. While you guys are interested in talking about God of War, are either interested in the God of War games for PS3 and PSP?

I'm surprised that it only took until this week to start drooling for Guitar Hero II, instead of drooling over the game for the past few weeks.

Wombat's ignorance flared up when he lambasted Rock Band because MTV and EA are involved while completely ignoring that Harmonix is making the game. You ignored the fact that MTV were involved in both Guitar Hero games. Also, having MTV on board makes the music labels much more willing to allow Harmonix to use master recordings of the songs, while the Guitar Hero games could never get more than a handful of them in the main song list. As for EA, they're just the publisher and Harmonix has shown they're more than capable enough (Frequency, Amplitude, Karaoke Revolution, Guitar Hero) to make an awesome game that will live up to the hype without the publisher being much of a factor. There's even talk of free song downloads and even having multiple songs from one band or artist.

Also, Wombat, how are the Red vs. Blue episodes taking too long to download? Or are you referencing whatever they have up on the XBL Marketplace? On their website, the episodes are 10 to 30 MB each, which shouldn't take more than 30 seconds to download. I highly recommend it for either of you to watch them, as they're hilarious.

Otherwise, this was a really good show.[/QUOTE]

So instead of reading the same press release that was on a dozen other websites I took the news as an opportunity to make fun of EA and MTV, so sue me for trying to be funny. I think ignorant is a pretty strong word for me making a a joke. If anything blame Cheapy for not pushing the grave seriousness of this music based opus.

And its official May 2nd is now a national holiday (make that international for McBacon)

I loved that episode. Wombat does not have a heavy NY accent! I've heard thick NY accents that can sometimes be hard to understand, too.

CheapyMom and CheapyDad were really nice guests! Maybe this will be a special feature next time they visit?

dont sweat the balck face joke cheapy. i get what you meant by it and from the few of your podcasts ive listened to ive heard you make racial jokes about a bunch of races even whites so no big. you didnt cross the line on a michael richards level and i tend to like nonpc humor whether its about women , gays or diff races and ethnicities its all good as long as its not done out fo hate.

now if youd done that in front of me in real life id probably put my foot up in your ass all kinds of diff ways till i got tired and needed to use my other foot ( or as the old joke goes id stick my foot so far up your ass the water in my knee will quench your thrist) but to those peopel i really trust or am really close to i do allow and delve into racial umor to a certain level you just have to know your limits and limitations and those of the people around you.

hell yyouve even made asian jokes and youre married to one of them so how people can get so offended is beyond me. but dont ever use the N word cause i dont like it or use it myself. now give me a free game for offending me lol. or at least hook me up with one of those hott ass asian cosplay chicks.

I had to post. My god, I started listening to yo guys on your first episode when you guys came up with "cagcast" as the official name. Anyway, you guys have come a long way and I really look forward to each weeks episode. In addition, you guys are really developing a great rapport and play well of each other. Awesome episode... more family member episodes please! You can really tell the Howard Stern influence imo in the show. And I totally LOL'ed on the third inputs and the firmware comments when I was driving and listening to you guys! Keep up the great work guys,

Great show, fellas. Each time you announce you're going to be bringing your friends and relations on the show, I fully expect it to be a train wreck. Instead, the show with your wives and now with Cheapy's folks were both charming, insightful affairs. The strength of the CAGcast has always been the easy-going, average Joe nature of its hosts, and meeting the people in your lives only helps reinforce that feeling (especially since they all seem to be genuinely nice, intelligent people with good senses of humor).

Somehow you've managed to combine video games, scatological humor, and heartwarming family moments into a winning hour of aural entertainment. Kudos!

currently both the ps3 & 360 upscale regular dvds to 480p and they look pretty good on my 1080p set. But Blu ray movies take it to the next level. btw great show.

Cheapy's parents are sooo cool! good stuff, i really enjoyed the Q&A stuff with them. :applause:

So i just watched Clerks 2, and the whole Porch Monkey thing in that movie reminded me of the Black face comment....Both of which made me laugh.

I'm with dingleberry. I *just* (as in yesterday) watched Clerks 2 and immediately thought of the previous cagcast. Even being black, I didnt take the 'blackface' comment to be malicious. Hell someone I know to be a racsist saying "African-American" can be more offensive than a "whigger" using the N-word just because of the intent. I have no reason to believe that Cheapy is a racist, so it didnt even make me blink twice.

As for the Cheapy parents, please dont take this the wrong way, but CheapyDad, IMO, sounds like a used car salesman (either that or US Rep John Boehner). It's the low, almost monotone, tenor. CheapyD's voice is low, but there seems to be more inflections. Anyway, love the cagcast.

BTW: I agree with cheapyMom any set of kids that are *that* into D&D is just weird. I've got to be about the same age as Cheapy and Wombat and when I was a kid, we thought all D&D players were freaks. My clique would rather be outside playing baseball/football.
cheers!

I was very excited to hear that Cheapy picked up Puzzle Quest. I became horribly addicted to the PC demo when it first came out and I'm still distraught that there is no full PC version released yet. I have neither a DS or a PSP and seriously considering getting one or the other just to play this game. I finally decided just to wait for the PC version as that will have online play.

Great cagcast this week! I enjoyed the parental unit interview. Keep up the good work!

~Longshot

Just finished listening to this week's cagcast and it was pretty good. The cheapy mom comment and, "prince of persia salami party," were hilarious. Kind of glad wombat wasn't as annoying as in previous cagcasts. Having your parents chime in was a change from the norm and was actually pretty funny. I'm surprised wombat actually praised a ps2 game when every week all that seems to come out of his mouth is oblivion.

Look forward to more Puzzle Quest impressions next week. I bought the game this week, and have played two puzzles, my girlfriend stole the DS away the rest of the time.

As usual, good stuff.

I was listening to this podcast while out walking, and I remember I was annoyed by something, yet I forgot it when I came back home.
I was then listening to the Joystiq podcast and they brought up the problem, and it all came back.

As a mostly PC gamer, I don't like control pads at all for my gaming habbit. They work really well for some games, platformers mostly, but even there I often feel that they could have done a better job. The podcast today said something about having waggle on the new prince of persia game would not be an improvement, but for me, those controls where awful the first time around. Resident Evil 4 was a really good game, but I hated the aiming system, as it was far to slow.

I’m not saying that all Wii games are good since they drop the god-awful 12 button, 2 analogue stick setup, but that having new controls on a game might improve it, or it might degrade it. And living in the paradigm where the pad is the ultimate control method might be the wrong way to view the future.

It seems like after every cast, I have to post that the 360 already upscales through VGA, and since most TVs have a VGA input, the HDMI on the elite is pretty much useless.

Also, Womat is wrong about Pick of Destiny. That's all I need to say about that!

Add me to the list of listeners who liked this episode, especially the segment with your folks.

I meant to comment last week about Wombat's in-game advertising idea. I don't know what gaming magazines you guys read, but my favorite is easily EDGE (http://www.edge-online.co.uk/). In their March 2007 issue on page 31 they have a bit of an editorial called "Coke and Twinkies" that is eerily similar to Wombat's concept. Here's an excerpt:

What if in-game advertising , rather than relying on billboards and loading screens, let its sponsors reach into your playing experience? What if one day, as you scoured World Of WarCraft's auction houses, clicking time and demoralised time again on that epic sword you can't afford, a notice popped up. 'Hi there. Noticed that you're keen on that sword, but that you don't have the money for it. Good news! Coca-Cola would like to buy it for you as a gift How about it?'

I'm not claiming plagiarism, I just thought it was a good time to plug my favorite gaming publication--it really caters to the educated, hardcore gamer. Keep up the good work guys, and Cheapy, in case you have your parents on again please don't tell your mom to censor her creative vocabulary!

Great podcast yet again but I have something shocking to bring to light. There has already been in-game advertising via usable objects within the game. Case in point: Parasite Eve II. There was some Coca Colas you could drink to replenish your health as well as a Coca Cola magnet you used to get keys necessary to continue the game. BOOYAH!

Heh no one take this as offense, but maybe the reason why CheapyD is cheap is beacuse he's Jewish. :applause:

[quote name='aduckie']Heh no one take this as offense, but maybe the reason why CheapyD is cheap is beacuse he's Jewish. :applause:[/QUOTE]

Thumbs down. Waaaaay down.

[quote name='aduckie']Heh no one take this as offense, but maybe the reason why CheapyD is cheap is beacuse he's Jewish. :applause:[/quote]

And on Easter. Nice. :roll:

[quote name='aduckie']Heh no one take this as offense, but maybe the reason why CheapyD is cheap is beacuse he's Jewish. :applause:[/quote]

Really? Is that why Wombat said in the podcast that Cheapy is the walking cheap jew joke. Had me fooled.

bread's done
Back