CAGcast #85: You Got Served!

I'm a practicing attorney in Florida, and what I do know is that for Circuit City to have a cause of action against Speedy, they must demonstrate that his posting of the ads has caused them some sort of harm. Unless Speedy is a CC employee and his disclosure of the ads violates an employment agreement, I really can't see where the harm is coming from. I do not know what legal theory they are suing under, but unless there is some sort of privity of contract between Speedy and CC, I don't see how they can stop him. I agree with whiptcracker, sometimes I read speedy's postings and I go to CC to take advantage of deals I otherwise would not have known about. So in a way, it could be argued that Speedy is helping CC a great deal. Given the popularity of CAG, CC is likely deriving a great benefit from Speedy. I do not subscribe to a newspaper, nor do I frequent CC's website. Without Speedy's postings, I would have no knowledge of the "Sunday deals." I would imagine there are many others like me out there. Oh well. If CC wants to stop Speedy and lose business, its on them.

Best Buy and Target should take advantage of this unique opportunity to embrace Speedy.

Unless some unbelievable exclusive deal occurs at CC, I won't be shopping there from now on. I know it won't even amount to be a blip on the radar, but perhaps if we all did it then it could count for something.

Cheapy, do you think you should censor all CC-related deals on the site until this legal action is over? i don't see why people should support a store that is gonna hurt one of our fellow CAGs and cause you to hire a friggin lawyer.

fuck CC.

If I'm remembering old Cagcasts correctly, doesn't Cheapy's wife work in law?

[quote name='Smaqaho']Unless some unbelievable exclusive deal occurs at CC, I won't be shopping there from now on.[/quote]

Shopping at Circuit City is a nightmare anyway. There's never even anyone at a register. That store has become so ghetto, there's hardly any customers in there; I fully expect to see tumbleweeds drifting by whenever I go in for some clearanced games.

[quote name='velvet396']You might want to consider not making CAG plural every time. It kinda discredits your intelligence.[/QUOTE]

1. It works. Try it if you haven't already. I think I've been using the plural to get here since I joined the site in 2004. You're going to nit-pick my letter for that? Go to Hell.

2. To the guy who said that I might not have mentioned that I only go there for the sales, I clearly state that I spent $1200 there on an HD-TV, and also, that I'm not naive enough to expect that they'll miss my business. If you're not going to read the entire letter, or are simply interested in taking my quotes out of context, please don't bother commenting. Another way to put this might also be, "Go to Hell."

Dude, fuck THAT! fuckin' CC...

RadioRaheemLOVEHATEsmaller.jpg

WE GOTTA FIGHT THE POWERS THAT BE!

Respect to CheapyD for not caving into Circuit City's corporate law thugs.

And Halo 3 is sounding better and better. I don't even regret pre-ordering the Legendary edition now.

Good show guys.

save_speedy.jpg

Hey CheapyD & Wombat, I just put my order in at play-asia for hotshots golf 5 (the region-free Asian version). Maybe it would be something worth dusting off your ps3s for? Its a great deal, and is cheaper shipped than your typical ps3 game price at retail. Thanks for reccomending play-asia CheapyD, I couldn't get over how cheap shipping was, I mean...jeebus!

Sue CC back!

And about the RE5 thing, in my opinion the complaints are so retarded. So it's completely OK for a white person to be killing white zombies, dog zombies, infected Spainish farmers, and whatever else but it's not OK when it's black people...

Hey cheapy, about the face training game, I heard the way they're getting people to play it is that they claim doing the exercises will reduce wrinkles. Not sure if that's right but if it is, then I can see that game becoming popular with older folks.

I just saw on the front page 1003 diggs. Congratulations on hitting your goal, what next some podcast awards then on to world domination!

Hopefully the diggers know to digg something else so you don't lose the diggs needed to keep you over 1000.

Good show! I'm sure everything will turn out fine for Speedy!

BTW: That game you were talking about is this:

Dream Mix TV World Fighters:

dreammixtvworld_GCNbox.jpg

dreammixtv_011204_14.jpg

dreammixtc_120403_01.jpg

These were the playable characters:
Konami side:Hudson Soft side:Takara side:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DreamMix_TV_World_Fighters

I really don't think Sony had something to do about it. Number 1, CAG is quickly becoming a favorite among all gamers' gaming websites, so Sony wouldn't be smart to piss off CAG. Number 2, CC is upset by this because they lose a week of hundreds of retail dollars. Even though it actually made people want to come into their store for a change. Especially after recent sleeziness performed by said company (AKA firing employees and asking them to come back at lower wages).

I set foot in Circuit City when Mario Strikers came out to get MS points, and after this, I doubt I will ever do so again.

As a general rule I don't listen to podcasts. I have too many CDs that don't get the attention they deserve.

However, the CC mention in the headline caught my attention and I decided to give it a listen. I hope Speedy is able to maintain his anonymity in the face of Circuit City and/or Sony.

It'll be very interesting if it turns out that this pressure is coming from Sony via CC. The same Sony that saw fit to drive Lik-Sang out of business. MS has a bad reputation that they largely deserved back in the 90s. Now it seems like Sony may well be trying to take the corporate bully crown for itself.

Regardless CC is spineless. They're either caving into Sony's demands or have decided on their own to further alienate customers when they're already getting their asses kicked by Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Target. I don't like any of those stores but from now on, barring some sort of great deal (free $20 game when you buy Forza 2, etc) I'm done with Circuit City. I'll be in there to buy cheapass clearance games and that's it.

I havent got a chance to listen to the latest podcast, but I just saw the digg count broke 1000. GRATZ you guys! You deserve it!

Hey Wombat - it's nice that you have answered all your emails and all, but I sent you a very specific question about your favorite game (the Big "O") via a CAG PM a few weeks back and you never responded :cry:.

I'll try resending it in the email, maybe that will work better :lol:.

TO WOMBAT.......

cheapyd's wife doesn't have to be in bed during the month previous to the birth of the child, she doesn't has to rest in bed all day, only in cases of high risks pregnancies that is advised, hope everything's fine with cheapy's kid,right, eh.

I am saying this cause my wife has been pregnant 3 times, so.....and she is a teacher in the public school system, and everytime we went to the doctor, we always asked if it was advised for her to rest,and the doctor said that it is highly advised that she stay active until the date of birth.

So if there is no risk in the pregnancy of mrs. cheappyd ....there is no need for her to stay in bed all day in the last month of the pregnancy.

By the way, It's nice to see wombat getting in the action on gaming events, hell u were seated next to cliffy, that is quite a thing, actually!

Keep the good work , always entertaining the cagcast!

And CHEAPPYD thanks for standing up to us, gamers......fight till the end, dont give up the info of speedy, tell your lawyer to do everything that he can, thanks.!

[quote name='hcamacho']TO WOMBAT.......

cheapyd's wife doesn't have to be in bed during the month previous to the birth of the child, she doesn't has to rest in bed all day, only in cases of high risks pregnancies that is advised, hope everything's fine with cheapy's kid,right, eh.

I am saying this cause my wife has been pregnant 3 times, so.....and she is a teacher in the public school system, and everytime we went to the doctor, we always asked if it was advised for her to rest,and the doctor said that it is highly advised that she stay active until the date of birth.

So if there is no risk in the pregnancy of mrs. cheappyd ....there is no need for her to stay in bed all day in the last month of the pregnancy.
[/QUOTE]

Right on - having the same extensive experience I was going to post the same thing. "Bed rest" is for complications and high-risk pregnancies. Now, it may amount to the same thing, however, as women tend to get very tired during the last few months. My wife did nothing but sleep towards the end of the first one (though we did go for some long walks when she wasn't tired to help get things going - she ended up being nearly 2 weeks late and then being induced). That is because she had no other responsibilities (with her second pregnancy she was too busy with the first kid to sleep much ;)). So besides taking care of her a bit more than normal when she is awake, Cheapy, you will probably have EVEN MORE free time to game than normal! For a short time, anyway, before you start taking over baby duties ;). Enjoy it while you can!

congrats mrs. wombat! that's very exciting news, and i'm sure it's awesome to feel that wanted.

Yowza on the lawsuit...I don't know what to say about that, but I completely respect your actions for it, Cheapy. speedy, we definitely appreciate what you do, crazy CC is doing that (and sad).

am i the only one who's kind of grossed out by a toilet that washes your butt for you? i mean, it sounds like it'd be more to clean up/dry off...maybe it's just me, but i wipe effectively. ;)

and cheapy, as long as you're supporting of mrs. cheapy while she's on maternity leave and getting closer to the pregnancy, i doubt she'd mind too much if you played halo 3. i know i wouldn't mind if my hubby (when i find said mr. right.. ;)) played games as long as he was there for me, too. of course, i may say that becasue if i were home and supposed to be taking it easy as i was getting ready to have a kid, i'd probably be playing games... :D

/tk

http://www.cmcsupply.com/assets/showroomtour/toilet_bidet.jpg

there u have it, it's not my home, but in the latin society is of common use that kind of toilets, some come in a separate toilet for that use only, in my house there is one, but we never use it, I kind of dont like the thing, and if there is a way to convert one toilet into a bidet, that is how it is called, it can be bought in a home depot kind of store and can be installed on the regular toilet , it is not as fancy as the japanese ones, but it does the job....me personally have never used one, and I am telling u guys in the latin homes is highly used.

i sit before you all a fervent hater of the wii and yet i cant stay quiet any longer. why the hell is nintendo sleeping on a goldmine with these goofy ass mii's. you all talk about mii's and how cool they are and they go on and on about how much you can customize them so why the hell dont they give you more mii options and mii games.

case in point why not create a mii online wrestling league where you can use your mii dress them up , give them moves and compete in tag matches and singles matches in an online league and even make it where you can win belts and defend those belts and win prizes by beating people( like downloadable content or wii points and other such goofy shit).

and you dont have to just do wrestling why not branch out into other sports like racing or football or basketball all where you can win prizes.

and for the life of me in all their commercials why the hell do they always show those same annoying ass asian guys who knock on random doors and wow they actually let them in to play games.......its stupid and annoying.

theres a perfect song nintendo could use and its by bjork "army of me". keep the song how it is or have her change it to army of wii's or mii's and in the commercial show a single mii walking then show some other ones walking and then do one of those mii parade dealys and they could even go so far as to have a contest where you can get your mii used in the commercial.

and why not some kind of mii zombie game or something damn man in this time where all you hear is how few games nintendo really has they have a goldmine with these mii's but they dont use it to its full potential.

[quote name='KingBroly']I really don't think Sony had something to do about it. Number 1, CAG is quickly becoming a favorite among all gamers' gaming websites, so Sony wouldn't be smart to piss off CAG. Number 2, CC is upset by this because they lose a week of hundreds of retail dollars. Even though it actually made people want to come into their store for a change. Especially after recent sleeziness performed by said company (AKA firing employees and asking them to come back at lower wages).

I set foot in Circuit City when Mario Strikers came out to get MS points, and after this, I doubt I will ever do so again.[/QUOTE]

Well, in regards to number 1 you can just look at all the shit sony's done since the ps3 came out and you can't really call them smart. remember when they tried to blackball kotaku for posting their info about home before the official announcement? And that wasn't done by some low level employee that was Karraker or however you spell his name.

I too will not be shopping in circuit city again, their stores always seem dirtier than bestbuy anyway.

Cheapy should ban Speedy's IP...

Wait guys don't get mad at me yet.

Speedy should then remake his same account at a public library. Okay, maybe that would be illegal.

But hey cheapy, you made a promise to your members. On the CAG Forum "Register Page" It says you will not willingly give out personal info to 3rd parties. CC is a 3rd party.

[quote name='lokizz']...why the hell is nintendo sleeping on a goldmine with these goofy ass mii's...

case in point why not create a mii online wrestling league where you can use your mii dress them up , give them moves and compete in tag matches and singles matches in an online league and even make it where you can win belts and defend those belts and win prizes by beating people...[/quote]

Jeebus, that is quite brilliant! I never honestly thought about Miis but now I can see how that'd be a ridiculously big hit. Wombat and Cheapy should poke Nintendo until they make it happen (and stop with them outrageous VC prices and painful friends codes). This kinda ties in with how Cheapy said the Wii could be successful without any real games, although I want games!

actually, CC is going after Speedy by demand of Sony and Microsoft. Best Buy, Target and Wal-mart are also believed to have joined the fight. Ccity is just leading the way.

Im Se7enwolf, the guy who leaked out the full page ad of the PS3 price cut right after speedy. I sadly have lost my job over it at the request of Sony. I was in a 2 hour interview/talk with Lose Prevention of CCity headquarters and have actually gained alot of interesting info about whats going on behind the scenes in regards to the leakers. Apprently they have been after Speedy for awhile now before even the PS3 leak.

I have already e-mailed CheapyD about all of this earlier.

Sony was so mad by the leak that the guy said "They want someones head on a stick for this" and that Sony was losing a big amount of money over the leak and was forced to drop the price a week early.

Also Sony, microsoft, other companies and retailers will be going after not just the leakers but also sites that post leaked info such as ads or full mention of the sales. This includes sites such as 1up.com, Joystiq.com, Cheapassgamer, Kotoka.com and others. onces not included are sites like IGN, gamespot and offical magazine sites since they do not post the ads or the leaked info, but only a rumored regards in response to talk over the internet.

Also apprently Sony also threatened to pull all support from Ccity chain if they did not comply with them on their leakers.

Speedy they believe works at a printing plant which of course many already assumed.

One last thing. employees who work at big retailers such as Best Buy, CCity and even printing plants are to sign a confidentiality contract stating not to leak out any information or upcoming sales to the public before the planned release date. Though this contract is sketchy about things because it excludes close friends and family.

I was working at the 3rd top store of Ccity so I had very earily access to sales ads up to 3 weeks in advance because the ads are printed about a month ahead of the actually sales date.

So keep in mind that its not just Circuit City behind all of this, it is many companies and retailers cracking down on this.

Oh and one last thing. Stores do no make anything on video game console sales. On computers they only make about 5% to 15% on sales and at most on tv's, they only make about 25% on sales which is a rare and high number. stores such as Ccity and best buy make their money on accessories, small merch, services and sales.

The harder CC pushes the less $$$ I'm spending there.

Oh and if they are reading this try putting some people at the registers. Having people to take sales helps business.

If Se7enwolf is right, it looks like Cheapy and Speedy are going to have an uphill battle with a bunch of enemies. Hopefully CC and everyone don't have enough ground for the subpoena

[quote name='pop311']What exactly is CC charging Speedy (and CAG, et al) with, legally speaking?[/quote]

Could be a number of different things. Leaking information, stealing property, obstructing business, or something else I dont know about. But he has been posting ads from several different stores which is why they believe he works at a printing plant.

[quote name='Se7enwolf']Could be a number of different things. Leaking information, stealing property, obstructing business, or something else I dont know about. But he has been posting ads from several different stores which is why they believe he works at a printing plant.[/QUOTE]

Hey , has anyone noticed this..... Se7enwolf has just registered on today in this forums, is this guy some kind of employee of CC, or part of the lawsuit against speedy? just the way he express, is kind of ...u know....just wondering.

[quote name='hcamacho']Hey , has anyone noticed this..... Se7enwolf has just registered on today in this forums, is this guy some kind of employee of CC, or part of the lawsuit against speedy? just the way he express, is kind of ...u know....just wondering.[/quote]I was thinking that too.

All right Se7enwolf, Reveal yourself!!!

*Se7enwolf pulls off mysterious cape in a dramatic fashion*

*gasp!!!*

It's Speedy1961!!! This is a huge surprise, even more than when Shiek revealed herself as Zelda.

But really, Se7enwolf, what's your deal with all this jive, smart-talk and informative information?

Could people stop with the *reserved for later comment* crap? Is it really so important to have your comment in the first page or 2 that you need to throw that up instead of simply posting when you're ready to comment? When did this become the thing to do?

I just never was interested in posting here before. Im registered at PS3forums.com, IGN.com and Playstation.com, just figured after hearing CheapyD being brought into the lawsuit, that I would let him in on some more informative stuff and whats all going on behind the scenes to give him a legs up. And I posted some of it here for everyone else to know to since you guys are CheapyD supportors.

Circuit City SUCKS!! They should be kissing your asses, not sending subpoenas. I won't ever shop there again.. unless they have a good deal on a game or something. Instead of giving up Speedy, can we just kill Wombat and call it even? Good show guys. ps I actually like Wombat but not in that way.

Good show, sucks about the speedy ordeal. Wombat needs to get his wife to start buying his games for him, that's what my over paid girlfriend does for me.

[quote name='contej85']Could people stop with the *reserved for later comment* crap? Is it really so important to have your comment in the first page or 2 that you need to throw that up instead of simply posting when you're ready to comment? When did this become the thing to do?[/QUOTE]

Agreed. You don't think people go back to earlier messages to read your pearls of wisdom, do you? Post when you have something to say.

I find it odd that Circuit City is the company that has chosen to lead the attack on Speedy. Their own price-matching policy negates next-week sales. People can buy now and match later... as opposed to the other stores where they might lose a sale this week because people are waiting for the ad price.

Anyhoo... Cheapy, you should really try Track and Field. The running controls are mapped onto the analog stick, so it's much easier on the hands. No cramping, although I have slipped off and bumped the Xbox Guide button which lost me a race. I saw a Mad Catz arcade joystick controller I was thinking about getting. It's probably be great for this game.

And as far as Snake being in Smash Bros... What rating will they give to have Snake walking around with his hands full of Kirby and Luigi nuts all day?

Usually I agree with everything on your show however I do not agree with u guys on one particular issue. Every website and podcast I listen to has shrugged off the GTA IV delay as if it were nothing. I have heard on many news sites that people are simply shrugging off the delay because GTA IV is just a sequel and not an original IP like Bioshock, Rock Band or Assassin's creed. These are games that are original respectively and seem to offer more interest than sequels to some but stating that this (the delay) is "a good thing" since there is so many games coming out is rediculous.

Would you guys (Cheapy & Wombat) simply shrug off & eat the fact that Halo 3 would be delayed until April 2008? Would any hardcore Halo fan? Would a person who has preordered and paid in full for the game that has been delayed not until the end of the year, but rather 2nd Fiscal quarter of 2008 just shrug off the fact the game she/he is anticipating just shrug it off? I am beyond pissed off at the delay not because it is a delay as much as it is the duration of the delay without a definite release date.
The fact that there was no reason given either really other than it is "technical" doesn't help. Just want to know ur side guys as well as your possible reaction if they did the same thing with Halo 3 out of the blue like they did with GTA IV.

If you got Served CheapyD (Which I am actually quite shocked to hear) how will you appear in their court if you live in Japan? They gonna fly u over? I'm a bit Confused.

I would say Speedy should post the CC deals and then just change the name of the retailer in the post. This happened last year on the black Friday ad site that one of the stores got pissed for the leaked ad. I think it was Office Depot. The site just changed the name of the store but everyone knew what it was.

Cheapy, you might want to email the EFF and see if they have any additionaly information on the subject. They are a bit more specialized on digital rights and whatnot.

[quote name='Purkeynator']I would say Speedy should post the CC deals and then just change the name of the retailer in the post. This happened last year on the black Friday ad site that one of the stores got pissed for the leaked ad. I think it was Office Depot. The site just changed the name of the store but everyone knew what it was.[/quote]
Lets call it Big Red and bestbuy could be Blue Bunny.

[quote name='contej85']Could people stop with the *reserved for later comment* crap? Is it really so important to have your comment in the first page or 2 that you need to throw that up instead of simply posting when you're ready to comment? When did this become the thing to do?[/quote]

Space reserved for rebuttal.

Nah just joking, anyway good show. I was actually surprised to see Pachter
mention cheapassgamer I mean.. think of ll of the times cags have made fun of him.

And Wombat...Wow just wow.

bread's done
Back