CAGcast #93: The Hooters Curse

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
CheapyD jams out on Jam Sessions (DS) and Wombat does his best to try and steal the show. We also discuss the new PS3 and 360 console options, the latest gaming and shopping news, answer your CAGbag questions, and so much more!

Enter our CAGcast Theme Song Contest! Win $100 CASH!
Win a Wii from Defender's TalkVideoGames.com

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast93.mp3[/media]
Download - 76 minutes, 35MB
[digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAGcast[/digg]
Past CAGcasts

Get your "Free" CAG "Play Cheap" Bracelets
Not exactly free, will cost you 2 stamps

Send a SASE (self-addressed stamped envelope) to:

CAG
P.O. Box 354
Merrick, NY 11566

You'll need 2xEnvelopes and 2x$0.41 stamps

sase.jpg

Writen instructions, just in-case.
Step by step instructions:

1. You'll need two envelopes and two $0.41 first-class stamps.

2. On Envelope 1, in the middle of the envelope, write your
name and address (just like you are planning to mail yourself
a letter). Put our return address in the upper left corner.

3. Stick one stamp in the upper right
corner of Envelope 1. Do not seal Envelope 1!
If you live outside of the USA, do not affix postage on Envelope 1.

4. On Envelope 2, in the middle of the envelope, write our
address as follows:
CAG
P.O. Box 354
Merrick, NY 11566

Put your return address in the upper left corner.
5. Stick one stamp in the upper right corner of Envelope 2.

6. Fold Envelope 1 so that it can be inserted into Envelope 2.

7. Insert Envelope 1 into Envelope 2. Seal Envelope 2.

8. Mail Envelope 2 (which now contains Envelope 1) to us.

Show Linkage/Notes
(click the button below to expand):

Bonus Picture!
UGO.jpg

Nice, new Cagcast, can't wait to listen! Interesting title...

I would love to see the look on somebody's face listening to the CAGcast for the first time and hearing about butter and beer ass fountains

I think this episode is already better than last weeks; becasue Wombat is excited for his new job, he seems much more enthusiasttic

Cheapy, I agree with your statement that the ps3 has too many different models:

20GB
60GB
80GB
40GB

But then you go right on to praise the 360 bundle. Do you realize how many models the 360 has?

Launch 20GB
Launch core
Elite
20GB with HDMI
Arcade
Halo 3 Edition
20GB with HDMI and 2 games
Falcon(?)

for your average person walking into a store this holiday, there is a large chance that they will get "cheated" out getting the best deal by picking up and non-HDMI or non bundle version

Yay! Tagged! All I hear is Orange Box this and Orange Box that!

Edit: started listening now. Count me in as one of the crazies getting both Rock Band and GHIII. I'd rather have the innovations of RB, but the track list in GHIII is too irresistable for me to pass up. Plus I got a deal with GHIII through RedOctane, so it's all good. You guys are right about it being all about the songs.

LOL @ cheapy's costume suggestions. My suggestion would be for Wombat to go as Homer Simpson and Mrs. can go as Marge in honor of The Simpsons game. Just need a bald cap and white polo w/blue pants for Wombat, and tall blue hair for Mrs with strapless dress.

Ah shit, now I gotta get Jam Sessions. Sometimes CAG ends up costing me more money. :p

As for PS3's dead horse issue, hindsight is 20/20. Really, Sony's biggest achillies heel with the console is not that they entered into the next gen too early, but the fact that they were arrogant/ignorant enough to believe any significant portion of the consumer electronics market would pony up $600 for a game console, blu-ray or not. The bottom line is price and Sony found out the hard way that most consumers can't or don't want to shell out any more than $400 for an entertainment console, particularly one that's whole image is about gaming. Whatever Sony is doing now with the stripped, cheaper systems is damage control, but confusing or not, it's something they have to do to keep from eventually failing with PS3 as a platform.

Can't wait for Vagi--er, the good Major to make a "surprise" appearance. Give him some Jello Pudding Pops with the TI computer..aaahhhhr

Cheapy asked for the picture and I couldn't let him down.
But yeah, I sent a lot of letters back then to various magazines including EGM. It was a hobby of mine to see how many letters I could get published. The EGM staff were the only people though who sent me a box full of weird shit (like asprin from a first aid kit and a piece of an action figure) with no explanation and a phone number on the packaging label.

Then later on I got a computer and the internet were I typed in Jennifer Tsao's name one day and found her wedding registery which I thought was so odd I shared with the EGM board. Yeah, that was wrong of me.

But like Cheapy said, this was a long time ago and I know better now.
Except when it comes to musicnoteless: I couldn't let that free coming out of closet kit go to waste.

Here's just a few of the letters that got printed:
Gamepro
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/thorbahn3/Gamepro193.jpg
GMR
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/thorbahn3/GMR21.jpg
Gamenow
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/thorbahn3/Gamenow23.jpg
XBN
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/thorbahn3/XBN23.jpg
Yes, Yaris is shit, pure shit. Orange box joke was awesome.
Why don't the both of you dress up as wombats?

As always, love the CAGcast, but man-oh-man your singing is terrible, Cheapy. Avoid Yesterday--too much falsetto. Do blues and hard rock... Anybody can sing those passably.

Orange box is fantastic! Team Fortress is a seriously addicting multiplayer game, and portal, while short, was entertaining to me all the way through. It was also suprisingly very funny, and the ending was one of my favorites in any game. I havent tried HL2 Ep2 yet, but i am hearing some great things about it.

Call me stupid for not reading the thread.

Gonna listen while I'm kept up all night by an aching knee.

I agree 100% with Cheapy. Even for free, Yaris is not worth it at all.

Cheapy obviously forgot about the megaton news that was Sonic in Brawl and Monster Hunter 3 jumping from PS3 to Wii of all places.

Er... Cheapy, didn't you see the recent Foreplay thread? A lot of people, myself included, were against the idea of using the bumpers and the intro.

Honestly, I would love for both podcasts to be kept as almost a PSA to the community each week; kept very informal and not necessarily unprofessional, but moreso accessible than anything else. CAG Foreplay sounded like someone was trying too hard.

Both CheapyD's and Wombat's voices are laid back, and if we add a sharp, crisp, 'professional' set of intros and bumpers, along with the ADs (Let's not forget those) I believe that it will lose that accessibility, and become very conflicting in it's messages.

Keep CAGcast the laid back, informal games discussion podcast, and not a show that's trying to portray itself as something that it isn't.

CheapyD ...

so Halo3 is better than Resistance because you got your friends on Live?

Odd comparison ... Halo3 Co-Op vs Resistance 40P Deathmatch (headless chicken comment)?

Resistance got objective based game modes, which also rely on good team work and proper communication, you know?

So it's hard to play with friends on Resistance? Ever tried the party or clan system? Where is the clan system in Halo3, btw?

Having a preference is okay, but the way you quantify stuff with your (sometimes not really well informed) opinion is pretty awkward.

How about some more "live and let live"?

[quote name='ChryZ']CheapyD ...

so Halo3 is better than Resistance because you got your friends on Live?

Odd comparison ... Halo3 Co-Op vs Resistance 40P Deathmatch (headless chicken comment)?

Resistance got objective based game modes, which also rely on good team work and proper communication, you know?

So it's hard to play with friends on Resistance? Ever tried the party or clan system? Where is the clan system in Halo3, btw?

Having a preference is okay, but the way you quantify stuff with your (sometimes not really well informed) opinion is pretty awkward.

How about some more "live and let live"?[/quote]...I never heard anything about that on the podcast. Granted, I'm in the CAGbag still, but... never heard of it.

And for cheapy:

I still have a VIC 20. And it works. Want a video of proof? xD

I think the DS demo channel is pretty cool but...what about all of the other Nintendo news? Wii Ware? Sonic in Brawl? Disaster Day of Crisis not canned? Otherwise a great show as always.

[quote name='thorbahn3'] The EGM staff were the only people though who sent me a box full of weird shit (like asprin from a first aid kit and a piece of an action figure) with no explanation and a phone number on the packaging label. [/quote]

did you ever call the number?

Cheapy why did you take time out to take a dig a sony and their 3-4 SKU's when Microsoft is looking at 4-5 this holiday season (2 of the SKU's still dont come with a HDD).....If you're going to hate do a better job. Or do me one better and sell your PS3 already.

Other wise good show, LOVED the orange box comment.

Awesome cagcast today!!!!

Anyways, I must also confirm what Cheapy said, it is impossible for a non-Japanese citizen to become a Japanese citizen unless you somehow have some traced ancestry, speak fluent Japanese, look Japanese, and can make a good case in court.

Anyways, I am still so undecided between rock band and GH3 and this podcast just left me more confused.....

Another suggestion from the cagbag answered for me, even though they didn't mention me this time, I got to hear Wombat play guitar! If we play Rock Band Wombat you can be the guitarist, Ill be the vocalist for sure.

[quote name='PyroGamer']Oh Dear God, the first three minutes conjoured up way too many images of tubgirl (DON'T GOOGLE THAT).[/quote]

hahahaha, reverse psychology at it's finest. Guess what the first thing I done after reading this post was.

You didn't care that kid was 12?
Upon registration, you also agree to provide truthful and accurate information about yourself as requested, and to promptly make any updates as to keep such information current. The Management may suspend or terminate your account and refuse use of the Site in the event that you provide false information about yourself or fail to keep information current. You may not access the Site if you are under the age of thirteen (13).

I'm wanting to get GH3 and Rock Band... my only concern is, will I be able to play Rock Band? I've not heard any announcement about wireless guitars for the 360... leaving only two ports for wired... how will I hook up all the guitars and drums?

o man, when Cheapy was singing that cracked me up sooo bad! LOL

btw Cheapy, i told ya Stranglehold rocks :)

o yea, i heard that EGM podcast and i can't believe thorbahn was that stalker, rofl!!!

and finally, recommended gaming podcasts (other than cagcast): 1up yours, egm live, the hotspot (gamespot)

Cheapy, just chime out on the PS3 portion. Cause now, we're back to the railfan jokes, you don't like the interface, online, nothing. Then why do you waste your time and the cagcast time covering it.

Plus you read a riduculous email from a person who already bought a PS3 (just for blu ray) complain about a system that hasn't released. Just like he figured out that he wanted BC, and bought PS3 w/ BC, [I'm sure other consumers can do the same as well] . He's not using the Backwards Compatibility feature; So I guess in this instance Sony's research was right, he rather have games to play, then make use of BC. Since he's only playing a skate demo instead of 1 of the 35 PS2 games he has.

There's not going to be a consumer whose going to have to look over 4 choices 20, 40, 60, and 80gb PS3s...simultaneously!
The 40gb is for people who don't want to, or can't afford 600 dollars (which we all agree is the wrong price point).

Furthermore.. you misunderstood my question.... what I was really trying to ask is if the PS3 is showing its power by having the ability to have 40player max, and running at 720p 30fps, 10-12 hours long vs halo 3 running at 640p 16 player max, being only 7, 8 hours long(story mode) could this be an example of the PS3 being more powerful, and could this descrepancy between the PS3 and the 360. Essentially could Resistance really be replicated on the 360, w/ 40 player online, full story mode, 10-12hour campaign, full 720p. I'm asking this because there was an article a little while ago that said that the 360 games were basically using up 90 percent of the 360s processing power, while ps3 games haven't even scratched the surface. Even wombat said... "it could look better"

Without your Halo field general hoarding the Master chief troops isn't it the same as Resistance.. everyone running around like chickens fragging each other.

I know You (cheapy) like the 360 better than the Ps3, and that's fine, but too often it shows, I'm a Sony/PS3 fan, I like PS3, I listen to the show cause I want to hear what you guys have to note on Sony dealings, but your love of the 360 just ruins it(sometimes).

Oh yeah, you didn't mention Every Day Shooter came out this week, last week you didn't mention the psp sold half a million units.. thanks to crisis core.. oh well.

p.s. I still enjoyed the show! At least 2/3 of it.

Hey Cheapy it's not hard to figure out why sony had to shovel out the ps3 before it was ready for prime time: Blu Ray.

Imagine if the PS3 was released this year, for the whole last year everyone whould have been happily enjoying hd dvd's. What studio would have waited around for the hoped for blu ray player when hd dvd was on the shelves? What consumer would have dithered when there was only one format to choose from? The buy in on hd dvd would have been huge by now. In fact sony might even have been tempted to release spiderman 3 on hd dvd.

The Thorbahn art is reminiscent of the early works of John Wayne Gacy. I listened to the EGM podcast and Jared was totally railroaded for which they all deserve to have their heads cut off. I'm just messing with you Thorbahn, those 1up guys think their shit don't stink. CAG is a haven for those rejected by other websites. CAG putting the ASS in CLASS. Another good show guys.

[quote name='youruglyclone']did you ever call the number?[/QUOTE]

On the EGM live podcast they said he did several times. That's a big creepy is you ask me.

[quote name='Ejaywillie']On the EGM live podcast they said he did several times. That's a big creepy is you ask me.[/quote]

yea, it was Jenn Tsao that he kept calling. she's an EGM editor there. their story was pretty damn funny

In regards to Rock Band and Guitar Hero III...

I agree that their song lists will be a big selling point and would add that the downloadable content should be playing a big role in a gamer's choice between the two (unless you snag both).

Although Activision's DLC has seen impressive sales, over $4 million as of September 11th, I would describe it as "hit and miss" at best. The fact that Harmonix is really viewing their new property as a platform for music delivery and record companies have identified it as a new revenue source is pretty reassuring that they will be putting their best effort into delivering new content on a regular basis.

While admittedly I'll be picking up both, I have more confidence in Rock Band in the long term, especially if Harmonix manages to out price Activision's current price model of $6.25 for a three song bundle.

But what I want to know is whether a single player can play an instrument and sing simultaneously? I guess it would depend on whether or not you would need your hands free for the microphone's tambourine/hand clap action.

Hey Wombat.

You and the Mrs. can go to your Halloween party as Mr. and Mrs. Smith. You can wear your work clothes as your costume!

Wombat was funnier in this CAGcast than he has been in the past. Towards the end when he started making certain sounds related to eating at Hooters I thought I was going to die of laughter.

Good stuff Wombat

Thought this show was better than usual because Wombat talked more. Well done Wombat and thanks to Cheapy for letting him talk.

That's all I have to say about that.

I'm surprised Cheapy didn't ban the 12 year old since he's obviously breaking the biggest part of the TOS that you agree to when you first sign up for any forum.

Cheapy mentioned that after playing Folklore that he wanted a decent 6 hour game instead. Heavenly Sword anyone? I don't believe either of you bothered with the game, so I'd recommend it easily if you're looking for that kind of game.

I agree with the sentiment that it's kind of hypocritical to bash the PS3 SKUs, but praise the new 360 SKUs at the same time. The 360 outperforms the PS3 easily in variations of hardware you could find out there. The 20GB very rare to find these days, as the last time I saw one was the day after Christmas at a TRU, which is insane in its own right. The 360 has three base SKUs that they regularly stock (with hardware variants splintering that even more) while Sony hasn't had more than two at any time (with no hardware variants of each SKU).

I'm not sure what I think about the "no BC in the 40GB SKU" thing. I'd imagine that if it were that big of a deal, you would've jumped on the 60GB PS3 with the news of the 80 GB featuring software BC that wasn't 100% compatible. What was the expectation for a new SKU that came as essentially a $200 price drop within a year of the launch? That nothing would have been cut from the 60GB PS3?

I can't agree at all that launching the PS3 this year would've solved any complaints about the system for the past two years. The media and gamers would be bitching even more than before if it weren't launching until this fall, saying Sony's dropped the ball in letting MS and Nintendo have the past two holidays to themselves and giving them a lead that they definitely wouldn't be able to beat. Cheapy gives an even later start way, way too much credit in how much good it would've done.

I would say that this was one of Wombat's best showings for the podcast in terms of seeming excited to be on the show and be willing to participate in any of the discussion points that are brought up. I could've gone without the extensive sound effects Wombat made to further illustrate what the end result of a trip to Hooters is. I guess Wombat's as fascinated by that stuff as Cheapy's been on the CAGcast pretty much since the beginning.

Great show. Keep up the good work.

One quick question: Have either of you picked up Everday Shooter for the PSN?

Edit: I also heard that whole Thorbahn story on EGM Live and it was indeed quite messed up.

We have cut the Cagcast and it bleeds Xbox green. You true colors are showing Cheapy.Msoft is offering a more confusing Holiday lineup that Sony.
Since your argument is based on not only hardware that is coming but hardware that is unsold in stores already.

Sony's variants are based on extras(backwards compatable,memory card slots, hard drive size,wireless internet)while MSofts are differences that will hurt gameplay choices( harddrive,HDMI) in the future.

It is possible for that parent with no knowlege of games to go buy a Core Xbox and buy a game that is harddrive required or without buying a memory card, Xmas morning is ruined. This could not happen with PS3, at worst the kid gamer cannot play PS2 games on his PS3 but most likely they have a PS2 already.

Halo 3's single player game was not superior to Resistance. I loved Resistance's story and visuals a lot more than Halo3. Halo3 should be called "BACKTRACK THE GAME". I swear almost every board I had to go back to somewhere I have been. Not counting that I went back to The Cartographer ( Every game a Cartographer level?). What is Bungie doing all this time? THe laziest level design.My favorite part was the vehicles (do not let the A.I. drive).

THe bubble shield that was so "innovative" is already in Resistance and the dual-targeting dual weilding guns in Resistance is far superior and innovative. But to find these you would have to beat the game and play again, I guess not many have done that.

Wombat is so annoying, I don't think there is a single CAGcast where I haven't found myself having to cringe at something incredibly immature and annoying Wombat does. I have to give respect to Cheapy for being able to keep his cool when Wombat annoys, interupts, and derails him on a regular basis. I just love when Cheapy brings up a point or is talking talking about something that I am truly interested in and Wombat completely ruins the segment with his child-like me too syndrome. In which he almost always adds nothing to the conversation, and forces Cheapy to move on to the next subject.

Overall, I enjoy the combination of Cheapy and Wombat, but I'd really like Wombat to have a little more self control and let Cheapy finish his sentences.

Oh no way - I can't believe someone brought up the old PC mags where you would have to type in the BASIC programs (funny that Cheapy called it "codes" like they were cheat code or something :lol:). I remember those days well. I had a TRS-80 (aka Trash-80) Color Computer. I even got a game published in one of those magazines - my one and only contribution to the gaming industry :rofl:. It was a text-based adventure game contest and I won some prize, I forget what... I remember when the big innovation was that you could sign up (ie, pay) to have a cassette tape mailed along with the magazine with all the code from that issue included on it. Man, what an incredible time-saver that was! And then I remember when we splurged $500 or so for the floppy drive - whoo-hoo, instant access to programs, who would have thought of that?

Anyway, I'm somewhat surprised Cheapy and Wombat remember those days - I'd think they would be too young for it. Hell, that was back when even I was pretty young ;).

[quote name='Jackal888']We have cut the Cagcast and it bleeds Xbox green. You true colors are showing Cheapy.Msoft is offering a more confusing Holiday lineup that Sony.
Since your argument is based on not only hardware that is coming but hardware that is unsold in stores already.

Sony's variants are based on extras(backwards compatable,memory card slots, hard drive size,wireless internet)while MSofts are differences that will hurt gameplay choices( harddrive,HDMI) in the future.

It is possible for that parent with no knowlege of games to go buy a Core Xbox and buy a game that is harddrive required or without buying a memory card, Xmas morning is ruined. This could not happen with PS3, at worst the kid gamer cannot play PS2 games on his PS3 but most likely they have a PS2 already.

Halo 3's single player game was not superior to Resistance. I loved Resistance's story and visuals a lot more than Halo3. Halo3 should be called "BACKTRACK THE GAME". I swear almost every board I had to go back to somewhere I have been. Not counting that I went back to The Cartographer ( Every game a Cartographer level?). What is Bungie doing all this time? THe laziest level design.My favorite part was the vehicles (do not let the A.I. drive).

THe bubble shield that was so "innovative" is already in Resistance and the dual-targeting dual weilding guns in Resistance is far superior and innovative. But to find these you would have to beat the game and play again, I guess not many have done that.[/quote]

Wow man you are reaching when it comes to the Xbox 360 vs. the PS3 SKUs (also I believ tht all of the 360 consoles ben manufactured now have HDMI). As far as games go this year 360 has it wrapped up compared to PS3. Not saying PS3 doesn't have any good games coming out but the quantity of great titles on the 360 are far greater than the PS3. The really interesting year fo the PS3 will be next year. I am admit that I am not a big PS3 fan but for PS3 owners out there next year is gonna be a good year.

As far as Halo 3 goes I really didn't notice that much backtracking that was out of place or was annoying. I did think that driving bit at the end of the game was a little weak since it was basically an expanded Maw level of the first game. Also even though I loved the levels, the story was a little weak but then again I was one of the few people that liked the story to Halo 2. But even with all that nagging stuff I have had a blast playing it and have already played more of the campaign than either of the previous Halo games. And having fun playing a game is what it is all about.

[quote name='jedi55555']Wow man you are reaching when it comes to the Xbox 360 vs. the PS3 SKUs (also I believ tht all of the 360 consoles ben manufactured now have HDMI). As far as games go this year 360 has it wrapped up compared to PS3. Not saying PS3 doesn't have any good games coming out but the quantity of great titles on the 360 are far greater than the PS3. The really interesting year fo the PS3 will be next year. I am admit that I am not a big PS3 fan but for PS3 owners out there next year is gonna be a good year.

As far as Halo 3 goes I really didn't notice that much backtracking that was out of place or was annoying. I did think that driving bit at the end of the game was a little weak since it was basically an expanded Maw level of the first game. Also even though I loved the levels, the story was a little weak but then again I was one of the few people that liked the story to Halo 2. But even with all that nagging stuff I have had a blast playing it and have already played more of the campaign than either of the previous Halo games. And having fun playing a game is what it is all about.[/quote]

The argument was about hardware.Not all Xboxes have HDMI, there are ones in stores that do not have HDMI. The same way Cheapy said there still are 60 or 20 GB PS3's out there. The games argument is for another post.

You must be a Halo fan. I was so tired of backtracking or seeing enviroments that I have seen in the first two Halo games.What was Bungie making all this time? I think they were working on the multiplayer. The story was so dry and simple that I did not care about any of it. The commercials were better than the cutscenes.

Having fun is what it is about, I would say that I had just the same amount of fun playing Halo 2.

Aside from Halo 3 and Mass Effect, what are the amazing games that are coming out for 360 that are NOT going to also be on PS3? I'm struggling to think of any. I'm tempted to get a 360, just so I can play Gears with the few friends I have online, but the thought of having to pay for the system, plus some sort of wireless solution, plus Xbox Live and then the game makes me cringe, when I've already got a PS3. I just don't see what's so "wrapped up" about it. I'd much rather be playing Uncharted than Mass Effect this November. Looks a hell of a lot more fun.

Also, where's the "CAG Buzz" Thread that Cheapy talked about before?

[quote name='orko60']Aside from Halo 3 and Mass Effect, what are the amazing games that are coming out for 360 that are NOT going to also be on PS3? I'm struggling to think of any. I'm tempted to get a 360, just so I can play Gears with the few friends I have online, but the thought of having to pay for the system, plus some sort of wireless solution, plus Xbox Live and then the game makes me cringe, when I've already got a PS3. I just don't see what's so "wrapped up" about it. I'd much rather be playing Uncharted than Mass Effect this November. Looks a hell of a lot more fun.

Also, where's the "CAG Buzz" Thread that Cheapy talked about before?[/quote]

The games I want that are on Xbox exclusively are Lost Planet, Table Tennis, and Uno. I like these games a lot and wish they were on PS3.

bread's done
Back