CAGcast #94: The One with Major Nelson

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']I caught that and thought it was quite funny. I'm suprised they either didn't hear it, or glossed over it.[/quote]
Yeah, it was.
The skype connection was pretty bad. There was a lot we simply just didn't hear.
At least MN recorded his own audio so you could hear it all.

To be fair, there may have been some guidelines on what the Major would talk about in his agreement to do this interview. Cheapy, are you at liberty to discuss that/address some of the CAG listener complaints about your line of questioning? (which btw, I didn't really have an issue with--might as well set up a repoire with the guy to ensure future interviews and co-op right?).

I still call b.s. on the 100-person limit to the Friends List. It's great that the average is 23-24 friends, but you should be given an option to increase it incrementally when you hit the limit. Charge a couple points for more buddy slots. That's fine, whatever. Increase it and if the Guide System can't handle it, let you toggle a "show all friends" or "only buddies that are online."

Awesome interview tho'! :applause:

Nice Shonen Knife call-out, Wombat. That would rock. ^_^

[quote name='Milkyman']A demo would probably have helped[/quote]
Sure, but there's a time where you've just got to take a chance. You'll miss out on some great games if you're too conservative.

Saying you're not going to buy it because it's somewhat similar to another game that came before it is kind of a cop-out.

I loved this show. Really enjoyed the Wombat/Major Nelson tension. No matter what he says, deep down the Major really doesn't like Wombat and it's cool to hear that edge in the interview.

If I can be constructively critical for a minute--I'm tired of Cheapy walking on eggshells around vocal CAGs who say he has a bias against the PS3. That's bullshit. The system just isn't as mature as a gaming platform. It's a fact. To crib from Stephen Colbert, "Reality has a well-known 360 bias." CAGs who disagree are entitled to their opinions, but Cheapy is entitled to his as well. There's no need to be apologetic about it.

[quote name='SmellsLikeRandyMossGuy']Was I the only one who caught Major Nelson calling Wombat 'Grimace'?[/QUOTE]

i burst into laughter when i heard that :rofl:

i liked the interview, but it felt short, hopefully he will be back soon =D

Cheapy D. you're not a 360 fanboy, you like all games, and I admit you will give all games a try. (at least for the show) However, the thing is.. you prefer games on the 360. I remember when you bought darkness, you bought darkness on the 360, for your BROKEN 360 that you had to jump start each time you played! When at that time you could have bought it for the PS3, [you didn't buy it for the online mode, because everyone knows that Darkness wasn't a game that really needed or was being bought for online purposes.]

You bought it because, the 360 is your primary system, if you're paying for live.. you might as well be using it. Me personally, I'm the opposite, my primary system is the PS3 especially for multiplatform titles.

Because you enjoy most of your games on 360, it may cause you to dismiss or not get as excited for games outside of the system - example Rachet and Clank: Tools of Destruction, Wombat had to set you straight on that game, and I'm glad he did! Rachet and Clank's graphics can't be compared to any other game on any other console. Its looking like a pixar movie - The incredibles, and yet you say it only looks slightly better than it did on the PS2. You don't have to like the game, but give Insomniac some credit, for doing what gabe newell is affraid to do and what other devs can't do. Rachet and Clank doesn't need an online mode, its a single player game (like darkness) and no need to latch on an online mode and take anything away from the single player experience.

Holiday Shopping list: The forgotten ones
Eye of Judgememt - I got a feeling that on the PS3 front this may be the sleeper hit for the holiday season..

anyway... good show

Next time when you have Major Nelson, you guys do the entire 360 portion of the show together, and address things together. [if possible]

About Ratchet and Clank, I think saying that it's just like the first one is a bit off. The second R&C game improved the weapon switching and added circle strafing. In fact, the third one added some great things like a home base and streamlined the gadgets into one all-purpose gadget.

The Ratchet and Clank series is a prime example of More of the Same done right. I like the fact that Insomniac is alternating between R&C and Resistance. It should hold off the feeling of "series overkill" unlike Tony Hawk and now Guitar Hero.

And Cheapy, Say it like it is. You like the 360 better. Don't skirt around the issue or try to point out how you actually like both consoles equally. Look at all the forum users here who say things like "Halo sucks" or "Metal Gear Solid is boring" they don't need to apologies for their opinions, I might ask them why they feel that way but you've already explained why you prefer the 360. So tell the whiners to back off, you don't need to like everything as much as they do.

GOOD show guys. BURNOUT Paradise is rumored to be better on the ps3 but I think the release date has been pushed back to '08. It looks better than the 360 version and is probably the only game which will have a better online experience on the ps3, believe it or not. Otherwise Cheaps holiday buying list pretty much mirrors mine. Ratchet & Clank ,I can wait for a price drop on. I'm also looking forward to Gran Tourismo 5, that shit looks amazing. I'm buying rockband for the ps3 for the wireless instruments and so I can hopefully play my ps2 guitar hero games on my ps3. Btw Resistance was a launch title and it looks way better than Halo 3, but halo 3 overall is still a better game.

Great show for the most part but I have to admit you guys would have had more time for "REAL" questions had you not waste so much time on the vaginaclown crap. Give it a rest already! It stopped being funny weeks ago.

The rest of the show was great and I was impressed by how professional you guys sounded when asking the questions.

The only thing I would add would be to press a little more for further information on the mspoints issue. Don't try to scare the guy off or anything but at least ask, what type of action is being taken? When would we see these changes? Sony is a global company as well, why is it they use actual dollar amounts?

In all honesty, though, for CAGs point systems are a better option for online purchases. I find ways to buy MS Points and Wii Points at a discount all the time. I've yet to find a way to buy $9.99 worth of PSN content for less than $9.99. Sure, there is game sharing on the PSN for some items, but I'm just talking strictly about the currency that each system uses and how it is relevant to CAGs.

The fact of the matter is the "Points" system allows for us to find deals where the "Monetary" system does not. As the future of video games becomes more and more dependent on digital purchases, I'd be really disappointed if there was no way to get an item cheaper than its assigned price. With the way these online services are set up, they are the sole provider of the content and you either buy it at their price or not at all. That offers no way to buy a product at a discount, and it's not a video game shopping world that I'd like to live in.

I can understand that the general public could have confusion when dealing with points and equating them to monetary values, but it confuses me when CAGs argue against the point system in favor of using actual currency.

If you have to choose the same game between a 360 and a PS3, why wouldn't you get the Xbox version.

You get acheivements, which are fun to get

You get a unified Environment online which the PS3 doesn't offer as well as the 360

The 360 controller is better for many types of games at this point (opinion)

Not a knock on the PS3, but the Xbox has more to offer when comparison shopping for the same games.

[quote name='shipwreck']In all honesty, though, for CAGs point systems are a better option for online purchases. I find ways to buy MS Points and Wii Points at a discount all the time. I've yet to find a way to buy $9.99 worth of PSN content for less than $9.99. Sure, there is game sharing on the PSN for some items, but I'm just talking strictly about the currency that each system uses and how it is relevant to CAGs.

The fact of the matter is the "Points" system allows for us to find deals where the "Monetary" system does not. As the future of video games becomes more and more dependent on digital purchases, I'd be really disappointed if there was no way to get an item cheaper than its assigned price. With the way these online services are set up, they are the sole provider of the content and you either buy it at their price or not at all. That offers no way to buy a product at a discount, and it's not a video game shopping world that I'd like to live in.

I can understand that the general public could have confusion when dealing with points and equating them to monetary values, but it confuses me when CAGs argue against the point system in favor of using actual currency.[/QUOTE]

get your own show

[quote name='shipwreck']In all honesty, though, for CAGs point systems are a better option for online purchases. I find ways to buy MS Points and Wii Points at a discount all the time. I've yet to find a way to buy $9.99 worth of PSN content for less than $9.99. Sure, there is game sharing on the PSN for some items, but I'm just talking strictly about the currency that each system uses and how it is relevant to CAGs.

I can understand that the general public could have confusion when dealing with points and equating them to monetary values, but it confuses me when CAGs argue against the point system in favor of using actual currency.[/quote]

In fact, there is a good one going on right now. You can get Halo themed coupons from Burger King for $10 giftcards when you buy an Xbox 360 game or accessory at $39.95 or more. Xbox Live is on sale for $39.95 this week plus a $10 gift card to knock 25% off your 4000 gamer point card. You're set for the holiday season.

How about next time you do an interview, you give us the start time and the end time so we can skip the interview. I couldn't care less what Major Nelson has to say about anything and would love to skip any future interviews with him.

My only frustration with Cheapy's 360 bias is that he constantly can't understand how Wombat likes things about the PS3. He once again seems to try to talk Wombat out of liking Ratchet & Clank. Cheapy, you are entitled to your opinion, but so is Wombat. He likes the 360 more than the PS3, the same as you, but he is willing to give the PS3 things a chance with a more open mind.

The CAGcast is about both of your opinions, neither is wrong, they are opinions, but I am tired of hearing you try to talk Wombat out of his opinion when it relates to him saying good things about the PS3.

[/QUOTE]

Good point, I honestly hadn't thought about that...

Man, do all these people work for Sony? It sounds like everyone can't handle Cheapy's opinions so they throw tantrums when he gives one. After reading through the comments.....I'm going to my broker to buy stock in Kleenex.

[quote name='lowgear26']Man, do all these people work for Sony? It sounds like everyone can't handle Cheapy's opinions so they throw tantrums when he gives one. After reading through the comments.....I'm going to my broker to buy stock in Kleenex.[/quote]

yea, no shit. if Cheapy kept praising the Wii over the PS3, they will not bitch about it. but whenever he likes anything about the 360, people think he's biased. they don't work for Sony, they just hate Microsoft.

anyways, nice interview with Major Nelson. i'm glad the voice quality was alot better than Pachter's interview which was hard to listen to. the lil MajorNelson.com background is pretty cool since Major never talks about some of the stuff you asked. very good candid interview.

and thanks alot to Wombat for asking about the Friends List limit. i wish they made it a 200 limit...

If you guys have Major Nelson back I think Wombat should conduct the whole interview, and Cheapy should just stay in the background. Sorry Cheapy, but who cares about the office politics at Microsoft? It just seemed like a silly question to even bother asking.

The interview didn't start to get good until Wombat chimed in with his points question, and then the Major had to leave. The whole thing just seemed like a huge wasted oppurtunity.

I thought CheapyD's review on Transformers was REALLY Harsh! The concept of cars turning into robots is pretty crazy and I thought the Michael Bay did a great job making it as close as possible to the cartoons without using to much creative license. Oh and the Transformers sneaking around the kids backyard was pretty funny and I really enjoyed it.
I thought the movie was great and probably the best 07 summer movie after the disappointment that was PotC3.

[quote name='4nik8tor']please DO NOT have Major Nelson on again.[/QUOTE]

What happened? You trolled once and no one responded so you had to do it again? There, I talked to you, you can stop now.

Good show, very nice to hear Major Nelson answer some questions. Also glad I'm not the only one who hated Transformers.

Man, I think the Major Nelson interview was just fine. Everytime Major Nelson does a interview outside Microsoft people are disappointed because he tows the company line, and is very positive. I mean what do you expect for him to say? I hate microsoft? Trixie is a ho? Give me a break. I like Cheapy theory on him being hard to fire. I will be very suprised if one day he is not the head of microsoft videogame dvision, or one of its competitors.

Additionally Cheapy....What you got against McDonalds and Transformers? I dont eat McDonalds every day, but what is wrong with a delicous big mac and fries once in a while?!? The action scenes in transformers are awesome, and Im glad they made the movie and will be making sequels. No its not perfect, but does every movie have to make perfect sense and be a deep thought provoking masterpiece? Sometimes you just want to see cars transform, fight and blow stuff up.

whoops forgot one more thing......
Good luck with the baby. The first year is quite the challenge, say goodbye to sleeping at night. =) But of course it will all be worth it in the end.

[quote name='MSUnman']Everytime Major Nelson does a interview outside Microsoft people are disappointed because he tows the company line, and is very positive. I mean what do you expect for him to say? I hate microsoft? Trixie is a ho? Give me a break[/quote]
That's not the problem. There was nothing wrong with what Major Nelson said. He was just answering what was being asked of him. The problem is that the questions he was asked suck, except for when Wombat finally jumped in towards the end.

And I know people will come in here and say "Well if you're too hard on him he won't want to come back!" Well then good. If the interview is just going to be some boring ass PR oppurtunity for the Major, then I don't want him back.

Looks like you have some nice Shure E3C's there Cheapy. Maybe you should try some triple flange sleeves. I'll never go back to the normal sleeves. The seal on the triple flange is the best.

[quote name='john_ruhlman']Looks like you have some nice Shure E3C's there Cheapy.[/quote]

i just noticed he was using those. i have the same ones, they are great altho i might upgrade my pair soon.

[quote name='LiK']i just noticed he was using those. i have the same ones, they are great altho i might upgrade my pair soon.[/quote]

I just need to get a pair. *ba-dum, PSHH!*

[quote name='lowgear26']If you have to choose the same game between a 360 and a PS3, why wouldn't you get the Xbox version.

You get acheivements, which are fun to get

You get a unified Environment online which the PS3 doesn't offer as well as the 360

The 360 controller is better for many types of games at this point (opinion)

Not a knock on the PS3, but the Xbox has more to offer when comparison shopping for the same games.[/QUOTE]

what is a "unified Environment" ?

[quote name='jaystaeb8']How about next time you do an interview, you give us the start time and the end time so we can skip the interview. I couldn't care less what Major Nelson has to say about anything and would love to skip any future interviews with him.

My only frustration with Cheapy's 360 bias is that he constantly can't understand how Wombat likes things about the PS3. He once again seems to try to talk Wombat out of liking Ratchet & Clank. Cheapy, you are entitled to your opinion, but so is Wombat. He likes the 360 more than the PS3, the same as you, but he is willing to give the PS3 things a chance with a more open mind.

The CAGcast is about both of your opinions, neither is wrong, they are opinions, but I am tired of hearing you try to talk Wombat out of his opinion when it relates to him saying good things about the PS3.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't have said it better......It's getting old hearing cheapy talk about the PS3. Just like last week when he was trying to take a dig at sony for the 4 SKU's when Microsoft has 5....give me a break.

He's said in the past that he has the PS3 for the "CAGcast" well wombat has one now so how bout selling yours and leaving the PS3 section to wombat. Because somehow wombat can find the GOOD and the BAD of the PS3, you on the other hand only look to knock the platform left and right.

I can understand that the general public could have confusion when dealing with points and equating them to monetary values, but it confuses me when CAGs argue against the point system in favor of using actual currency.[/QUOTE]

The deals is the best part of the points system, but in actuality for buying points at regular price, I feel like you're being overcharged. 400 points, imo should be 4 dollars. However, its 5 dollars. meaning for every 400 in MS dollars, you're being charged 1.25. I guess it would have been better to have a more direct MSP to dollar ratio (i.e. 1$ for 100msp). But, castlevania is 10 dollars on psn, and 800 on live so its all good. But at least people can have a chance at a discount, whereas on psn you're waiting on a price drop.

http://www.mspconverter.com/index.php [this should end all confusion]

I'm not going to accuse Cheapy of bias, but maybe blindness if he thinks Tools of Destruction doesn't looked that much better than the PS2 titles. On the contrary, its one of the best-looking next generation games I've seen (as a PS3+360 owner, i've seen all the biggies).

I could understand if he was playing on a 13" Black&White TV, but I thought he said he has a decent sized plasma.

He should have to play Going Commando and Tools of Destruction side-by-side and eat some crow next week.

Loved the show guys, but you failed to tell those of us who weren't in the know what exactly the NiGHTS pre-order in Japan is. I was saying to myself, "Wait, what is it guys!?!" Try not to tease us like that in the future. Sorry, I'm not much of a forum reader, so if someone else brought that up, please forgive me.

[quote name='Gillespee']Loved the show guys, but you failed to tell those of us who weren't in the know what exactly the NiGHTS pre-order in Japan is. I was saying to myself, "Wait, what is it guys!?!" Try not to tease us like that in the future. Sorry, I'm not much of a forum reader, so if someone else brought that up, please forgive me.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I AM an avid forum reader and I still didn't know about it. Still don't as of now. But after a quick Google search I came up with this:

http://www.destructoid.com/elephant/photo-m.phtml?post_key=49585&photo_key=19248

I guess that's it? Nice, but not THAT nice...

As for the whole points thing, I agree wholeheartedly with Shipwreck (and have made a similar point before on CAG). In fact, I would push it even further - one of the reasons I've held back on buying a PS3 is that I know I'll never get a deal on DLC like I can with the other 2 systems. The price of the system (while getting better) added on to potential DLC cost is just not worth it to me.

Hey, I'm a little late finishing this week's CAGcast (I save it for the commute), but here are some reactions:

The question about whether or not games need a last boss reminded me of this article I saw recently:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?p=440

About a page in it talks about Planescape: Torment (which I sadly haven't played) that evidently eschews a final boss in favor of a final conversation tree, and according to the author, it's quite effective. Just an interesting example of a game radically abandoning that tradition.

Another thing, in response to the comments on EA having a recent string of good games: Don't confuse the Orange Box as being an EA-developed product. Valve should get 100% of the credit, with EA only stepping in to put the retail copy in stores.

Anyway, great show this week. I don't have a 360 and so I don't follow the community as much, so it was cool to hear Major Nelson discuss his ideas and philosophies about the system.

To be honest I have all three systems , and I do not think Cheapy was being bias , I think he is being honest , like it or not RIGHT NOW,the ps3 expierence is lacking ,however As I am about to get rid of my Wii,,I am SOOO disapointed with it .I am hoping ps3 gets better. I am abit scared after LAIR LOL , Keep up the good work!!!

There was one line in the entire podcast that proved to me that Wombat is essential to the survival of the cagcast

Cheapy: "Brutal Legend was just announced and it looks like a mix between God of War and Guitar Hero"
Wombat: "It's AWESOME!"

And cheapy, if you honestly think you Ratchet and Clank TOD doesn't look any better, your nuts, the game looks like a pixar movie, and runs silky smooth with large enviroments, and Wombat knows where it's at with that game.

[quote name='io']Actually, I AM an avid forum reader and I still didn't know about it. Still don't as of now. But after a quick Google search I came up with this:

http://www.destructoid.com/elephant/photo-m.phtml?post_key=49585&photo_key=19248

As for the whole points thing, I agree wholeheartedly with Shipwreck (and have made a similar point before on CAG). In fact, I would push it even further - one of the reasons I've held back on buying a PS3 is that I know I'll never get a deal on DLC like I can with the other 2 systems. The price of the system (while getting better) added on to potential DLC cost is just not worth it to me.[/quote]

Regarding DLC -

It's nice that you can get deals on points with XBLA, but the nice thing about PSN is that they do have sales on occasion. Apparently Calling All Cars is only $4.99 at the moment, and I remember buying Flow for a much cheaper price. Not exactly the same thing as getting point cards, but at least Sony is trying. I prefer their method, mostly because I don't want to be stuck with leftover points (like my Goozex points)!

Pretty good show guys. I think the Major Nelson interview could have went a bit smoother, but overall it was good. The questions could have been a bit better, but I understand you can't bombard him with a bunch of "I can't answer that" questions or controversal topics. Well, you could, but then he'd probably never come back.

Overall, I enjoyed the interview, and hope you have more guests on. Not every week, but perhaps once every three podcasts.

Cheapy, with Army of Two pushed to 2008, what will replace that on your holiday list? I don't recall if you listed Call of Duty 4, but to me, that is a must-have. The beta was a lot of fun, and I can't wait to check out the retail release. Also, Kane and Lynch looks interesting. I'm a fan of the Hitman games, so I'm interested in seeing how that game turns out.

[quote name='oboroky1']To be honest I have all three systems , and I do not think Cheapy was being bias , I think he is being honest , like it or not RIGHT NOW,the ps3 expierence is lacking ,however As I am about to get rid of my Wii,,I am SOOO disapointed with it .I am hoping ps3 gets better. I am abit scared after LAIR LOL , Keep up the good work!!![/quote]

He was saying the Ratchet demo doesn't look much better than the PS2 games.

It may not be biased, but it is obviously idiotic.

Just listened to the show.

Did Nelson imply that Wombat looked/acted like Grimace? Thems fightin' words!

I have to agree with Wombat on Ratchet and Clank. I am a total and unapologetic Insomniac fanboy, though. I love a good single player game; while multiplayer games keep me up with my 'Interwebs' gaming circles. If I had to chose between the two, I would have to go with a stroger single player game.

The Major was much more interesting that I thought he'd be. I attribute that to Cheapy's interviewing skills/personality. Great job!

It's taken me all week to listen to the whole cagcast (which makes it a good one in my book). I just now heard that my question was asked. For what it's worth I don't think games need a final boss either. I have had a few games I never finished (Dark Cloud comes to mind) because I couldn't get past the final boss and didn't want to spend time leveling up.

T

[quote name='io']Actually, I AM an avid forum reader and I still didn't know about it. Still don't as of now. But after a quick Google search I came up with this:

As for the whole points thing, I agree wholeheartedly with Shipwreck (and have made a similar point before on CAG). In fact, I would push it even further - one of the reasons I've held back on buying a PS3 is that I know I'll never get a deal on DLC like I can with the other 2 systems. The price of the system (while getting better) added on to potential DLC cost is just not worth it to me.[/quote]

Thanks for the link - likewise I'm sure I could have found it myself. I was more than anything offering a suggestion for future shows.

Cheapy I have to give you credit for getting Major Nelson on the show. Whether CAG's may agree with him or not it's still a major win for the show and a sign that you've the attention of the big name podcasts.

While I certainly understand your review of Transformers as a fellow Gen 1 fan of the show I have to say that I actually liked the Movie and while it is clearly flawed I found that there are good qualities that neither you nor Shipwreck mentioned for fan and non fan alike:

- The voice of none other than Peter Cullen, the original voice of Optimus Prime which added authenticity to the autobots.
- Among the best CGI work to date from ILM.
- Bumblebee & OP redesign huge but necessary (can you really imagine the hero driving a new beetle?)
- Good moral to the story "No sacrifice, no victory" - this is a movie not just for adults after all
- Just a good old summer popocorn flick

All in all while there were definitely negatives (bad jokes, weak story, the director himself) I think there's enough good stuff in it to warrant the success that it had and like other commercial successes (ie Madden) there are strengths even in works that cater to the masses.

bread's done
Back