CAGLB: MLB 14 PS4 Online Franchise (Red Sox open; 0-0 record)

Wow, just played my first online game for this (ever) and got crushed 14-3. What I don't get is that EVERY borderline pitch was never swung at and a lot of them would have been strikes if not for the variable umpire. So I end up having to literally throw meatballs due to not getting any calls and gave up 7 homers. I know baseball is like that but with Strasburg pitching it seemed odd. Here's to hoping for much improvement as I go along.

Yeah, you definitely got screwed on a bunch of pitches. Especially considering you were the home team and had a better pitcher than me. 

Thank you. I will PM Spokker now.

As far as balls and strikes go, I can set that to be strict instead of variable if that's what people want. I just left it on the default setting.

Who among you is enjoying Watch Dogs? Played that more last night than I've played any game in a single day in recent memory. It's so fun.

If anyone wants to set up a franchise game for tonight, I can play if we start between 3-4:15 P.M. Pacific. Kings/Blackhawks starts shortly after 5:00. Tomorrow night is pretty open except between 4:30-7 P.M. Pacific.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt could you send out a message with everyone included on PSN? That way everyone could message when they are available for a game and could add everyone to their friend list. It basically works as forum thread almost on PS4.

I would recommend that everyone add the other 9 members to their friend lists since we have no limit on PS4. As far as the group message/chat goes, I'd like to hear what others think. Some people were annoyed when I sent out a group message when recruiting members because every reply caused a notification to be sent to everyone.

The problem with variable strike zone is that it seems to change from at-bat to at-bat. The variable strike zone should stay the same the entire game with the exception of straight-out blown calls. Anyway, that's what I heard people on Operation Sports say. I don't care if the feature is turned on or off.

As for the free agent stuff, although I enjoy the game of baseball I really have no idea who the players are or who I should pick. If this is optional you can skip me. Otherwise I'll just pick someone later tonight if I have to.

The problem with variable strike zone is that it seems to change from at-bat to at-bat. The variable strike zone should stay the same the entire game with the exception of straight-out blown calls. Anyway, that's what I heard people on Operation Sports say. I don't care if the feature is turned on or off.

As for the free agent stuff, although I enjoy the game of baseball I really have no idea who the players are or who I should pick. If this is optional you can skip me. Otherwise I'll just pick someone later tonight if I have to.
The variable umpires have never really been that well done to me. In real life I know some umpires have a tight zone, some are wide, some just suck. But in The Show they all seem the same to me, sometimes they call a strike a ball and sometimes the opposite. For online it's probably better to have them set to off, but even then I swear that in offline games this year I have seen pitches called <100% accurate.

As for the free agent thing, I'm assuming Matt set it up like a draft for a reason so if a FA doesn't make sense for your team no reason to take one. Similar to the Rule 5 draft, many teams skip their pick since that player takes up a roster spot.

Spokker, you don't have to draft anyone. I realize the free agent class is weak, and you have a good team already.

I'll check the list and notify the next person.

Yeah I don't mind the variable umps, I was really just frustrated that ruffinra wasn't swinging at anything ruled a ball and they were close. I must just suck because I don't feel like I have that much time to decide what to swing at unless it's way out of the zone, so kudos to him for being able to hold off.

keith I'll be on later tonight, probably around 8-9pm PST.

Where are we in the FA draft? I'm last is all I know.

Matt it might be good to just send one message to everyone reminding to get a couple of games in, just in case they don't check this thread often.

I might have to message some people, yeah. At the same time, I feel like people shouldn't have to constantly be reminded to play since it's only 2 games per week. I'll see where we are after this weekend. All but 2 users have played at least 1 game.

Regarding free agency, Oakland is up, followed by the Yankees and the Cubs.

I got stomped by V4Oldboy last night, but it doesn't show up.  I should be 0 and 2 in the standings, but still am 0 and 1. 

We had a game started and it "errored" out in the 3rd or 4th inning.  (The online monitor had been red - maybe it was a network thing)  

We tried again with him challenging me.  Got all 9 innings in (online monitor stayed green throughout) got through the post game stuff and exited but it didn't show up.  He had a lot of stats (I lost track of how many homeruns he bombed) that I'd feel bad for him to lose, but he should get the win.  

In the "Events & History" tab it shows a "failed to process error" twice.  :wall:

After Wednesday my work schedule will go back to normal so I'll be ready to play league games. But no one was really online this weekend anyway. 

Yeah, I got your message but you were offline when I saw it. I had a pretty busy weekend. Haven't played an actual PS4 game since Thursday or so. So I apologize for not being able to make that work.

Regarding the game that did not process, I am fairly certain that I can assign a winner to the game. Sadly, however, I know there's nothing I can do about the statistics.

The best thing I can suggest for scheduling games- with me and others- is to use CAG PM's. Personally, I may have a Blu-ray or WWE Network running in the background on PSN when I'm doing stuff in the house and I don't see those messages til later. If I'm playing a game, I will, though. But private messages on CAG by default send a notification to the email address associated with that user's account.

There's just so many games to play right now. I'm dividing my time between Watch Dogs, MLB, NBA 2K14 and Mario Kart 8 plus work. 

Yeah, shame the game didn't register. Olt had three HRs, I think maybe Rizzo had one. Not a big deal.

Also game one of Beacho and my series needs to be reset. I backed out once I noticed Travis Wood still had full energy, didn't notice the game didn't register. I guess once you back out it counts the game as in progress or something.

Yes, Spokker, you're right. I was playing Watch Dogs Tuesday-Thursday and then managed to squeeze in a small amount of Mario Kart over the weekend.

I will be getting on around mid-afternoon (Pacific) and will take care of the Cubs/Yankees and Cubs/D'Backs games.

Cubs/D'Backs says the Cubs won 7-2. So I just wanted to make sure I didn't musunderstand- you do want that reset?

The Cubs were awarded the win over the Yankees. The game assigned a 4-2 score to the contest.

Finally, we need a new Boston user. I had to drop the guy myself, although he sent me a message saying he quit. He got mad because he said he played a great game and it didn't count. I asked who he played. The White Sox. I'm the White Sox. Turns out he played the AI in a practice game. So don't do that and expect it to count in the standings, lol.

I'll try to update the OP and title tonight. It's just really hard to do on my phone.

Latest highlights, Angels at White Sox: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4186064507399

When you save the highlights from online games, the pitches really look different from what they actually were. Pujol's homer looks like it bounced off his head.

Hey Matt, are you able to edit the title? You could put that we need someone to control Boston. 

I edited the title. I just hadn't been on the standard version of CAG in a while, and it's hard to do certain stuff on CAG mobile, at least on my Windows Phone.

Sorry I haven't been online in a bit on PS4. I'll be online late tonight and tomorrow all day. I know we're supposed to get 4 games in by the weekend, but I got busy and could only get online late at night this week.

It's cool. I'm not gonna be an asshole about the 2 games a week thing unless someone's clearly not trying. I have only played 3 games, actually.

Cool, thanks. I will invite you this afternoon.

Things have been slow the past couple weeks between E3, Watch Dogs, Mario Kart 8, Hardline, and Destiny. I'm just as guilty as anyone, but as the dust settles as bit, things should pick back up in this league.

Yeah after my first two games where my pitching gave up 12 homers, I wasn't looking forward to dealing with the Angels' lineup. However Zimmermann was dealing and I squeaked it out 1-0. Things returned to form in game two where Gio got rocked and the bullpen wasn't much better, giving up 6 homers and 10 runs.

Also, we initially had trouble getting the game going, as neither of us were getting the invite. We both restarted after several attempts though and it worked.

Check your schedules. I say we try to finish off these games this weekend. I messaged two guys on PSN. 

I'm good to play but I already played my games with you. It seems like people have lost interest in this, and I got tired of constantly asking people to play their games. So I haven't played much lately as a result.

However, I will be active as commissioner as long as people are playing. I check my PM's and this thread daily, just in case.

No big deal if it dies. It was fun playing and offline franchise and RTTS are more than enough to keep me interested in the game.

I understand if people don't want to play anymore, but I will be here to make any moves necessary as commissioner. Pretty sure the replacement Boston owner hasn't joined, though.

Sad to see. I don't know what it is...but leagues on Playstation systems never seem to work. I would have thought with the larger install base for the PS4, things would start to change. Part of me wonders if the way online multiplayer started out between XBL and PSN, if the people who are really interested in multiplayer just stick with XBL regardless.

Or maybe it's just a CAG thing. I'm pretty sure there are Playstation leagues on Operation Sports that get by just fine. It seems like the most successful The Show leagues we had were back in 08 and 09, haha. I'm not sure if a season has been completed since.

You make valid points. I don't know the reason, either. But we still have plenty of time. We may complete a season eventually!
It's weird, but it makes me appreciate what we have with the CAG Hockey Team even more. 6 years of consistently playing together is crazy. Even the Madden leagues are extremely consistent by comparison. I guess it just takes like-minded people deciding that that's something they want to be a part of.

I've never bought the "there's so many good games out" argument. There's always good games out, lol. But for some stupid reason, I put hundreds of hours into NHL and largely ignore games like Assassin's Creed, Battlefield, Titanfall, etc. If you like sports, you like sports. People just need to be honest with themselves. Successful leagues are a total team effort. The commissioner organizes, but the members keep it going.

I also realize I'm preaching to the choir here, lol. But if we need to go back and forth fallating each other, then so be it. ;)

Do you guys think (and I've not kept up my end of the bargain this season - been busy coaching 9 & 10 year olds) that lag plays into it at all?  Baseball relies on timing more than any other sport, and for some reason The Show always seems to have consistency issues online.  It is so frustrating, and this year I had a couple of games get dropped in the middle, and another that completed but didn't register correctly (score and stat wise).

I can get back into it if the league keeps going.  I certainly appreciate the efforts of Matt (and n8rockerasu a few years back).

Is the PS4 version still that laggy? That's beyond pathetic if true. Next gen system...oozing with power...first party game...multiplayer now behind the PS+ paywall...online play still sucks. Seriously, I said this like 2-3 years ago, but if they can't get online right...take it out of the game already. At the very least, the reviews need to reflect it so they lose enough sales to finally do something about it. Tired of seeing 8's and 9's for games with broken online (NBA 2K has had a similar problem).

I agree completely about baseball relying on timing though. Pretty much every other sports game (other than maybe tennis) is at least relatively sufferable with lag. But with baseball...you can't even really play, lol. That's why I quit The Show when I did. Too bad RBI Baseball doesn't have online play. I'd easily picked dumbed down graphics and smooth online over what The Show usually brings to the table.

At the end of the day...these games need competition. I hate what's happened to sports games. No college basketball. No college football. One NFL game. One hockey game. The only baseball game on Microsoft systems is a simple throwback to an 80s game with limited features. At least EA is trying with NBA Live, I guess... Seriously, you know it's bad when you start missing Midway and 3DO games. Even as bad as they'd likely screw it up, I'd love to see another MVP Baseball at this point. Just having a second option would do so much to wake developers up.

While I appreciate the kind words, I haven't been trying to schedule takes lately, either. I can't pinpoint an exact time when I just got tired of sending out messages constantly, but like I said, I'll play and perform my commissioner duties if others play.

bread's done
Back