CAGLS: Madden 13 Gentlemen's League - We Finished! Thanks for Playing!

[quote name='perdition(troy']I for one played stafford for 2 quarters instead of one, I don't see any issues with it. Looking through I can't really see any big time abuses.[/QUOTE]

Thats what I try and do to. Have Ryan in for 2 quarters with White/Jones/Jones then replace with backups at 3rd quarter

All my WR's stats are legitimate. He's my #3 or 4 receiver when the starters are in, and then he's the #1 when the subs come in. He's also fast as a mf'er so he takes it to the house quick. Just ask Doc about him in our last game.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Fourth down is the jets with 8 dolphins and browns with 5 and the rest of the league around 2-3[/QUOTE]

Add 6 more for the Jets from this last game

All the games left are sim games fyi

Also you can look at downs played and see qbs that don't come out. Anything over 110 seems abnormal only a few teams have players over that.

i know one thing its not fun at all to play the computer once the scrubs come in and u stop them deep into there own territory since they dont switch the real punter back in some kicks go 25 yards some go 8. and even when u not try to the run the score up not much u can do there when ur at the 10 yard line with the ball. i just find it annoying. im ready for the regular season and for real games where people want to show up and play and somewhat care if they win or lose. i know theres not a single game i care about winning in preseason.

[quote name='perdition(troy']From the stats houstan dallas arizona broncos packers and the 9ers are the only quarterbacks that have way more passing yards than the backups. I don't see much abuse most are 50/50 or 60/40

Some teams only have one qb like the giants or steelers.[/QUOTE]

I for one pass more with Newton when he is out there cause my backup QB sucks so I run the ball more. I don't see how passing yards is an accurate measurement of time played maybe downs played would be better.

[quote name='slofton']Add 6 more for the Jets from this last game[/QUOTE]

LOL..i did not go for it 14 times on 4th down. My first game was simmed so I have no idea what my stats are from that. I don't ever remember going for it on my 2nd game... i may have but don't recall. I was playing the seahawks so u can ask him. This last game I was playing CPU and didnt feel like punting 10 yards with my backup. I also missed a pretty easy field goal last game with my backup so I just went for it whenever I was in FG range too. I NEVER play like this against real opponents or even against CPU during the regular season when I have my starters in. Jeez

[quote name='slofton']Thats what I try and do to. Have Ryan in for 2 quarters with White/Jones/Jones then replace with backups at 3rd quarter[/QUOTE]

I thought the consensus was to not make any changes and go with what the computer does for backups in the preseason game.

[quote name='dr0ppinL0adz']I thought the consensus was to not make any changes and go with what the computer does for backups in the preseason game.[/QUOTE]

That's what you're supposed to do. I don't know where people got the idea that it's OK to play their starters longer. That said, it is ok to swap your kicker and punter back. So, going for it on 4th down numerous times because of this issue is a lame ass excuse. In the future, ANYBODY who thinks it's ok to do something that goes against league rules needs to be asking about it first. The rest of us are playing with backups and are punting the ball.

We've advanced to the final week of pre season.

I've only gone for it on 4th down when I'm losing late in the game and need to score to come back. I mean, I'm 1-2 in the preseason so, I'm not doing it to be cheap.

That's what you're supposed to do. I don't know where people got the idea that it's OK to play their starters longer. That said, it is ok to swap your kicker and punter back. So, going for it on 4th down numerous times because of this issue is a lame ass excuse. In the future, ANYBODY who thinks it's ok to do something that goes against league rules needs to be asking about it first. The rest of us are playing with backups and are punting the ball.We've advanced to the final week of pre season.
We need to put that in the rules then, because I looked and didn't see it anywhere. I assumed we were going by the rules of don't blow up the score and you play your back ups.

[quote name='perdition(troy']We need to put that in the rules then, because I looked and didn't see it anywhere. I assumed we were going by the rules of don't blow up the score and you play your back ups.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Checked the OP before doing it and found nothing. I only did this one game so ill pull them from the start of the next game. Pretty much we all screwed something up :D

I know it was discussed last preseason. In addition, don't you have to manually go in and change your players back after the first quarter?

[quote name='jza1218']I know it was discussed last preseason. In addition, don't you have to manually go in and change your players back after the first quarter?[/QUOTE]

I think you can change that in your team auto-subs settings outside of a game.

[quote name='Wpark83']I think you can change that in your team auto-subs settings outside of a game.[/QUOTE]

The only thing I've seen in the auto-sub settings is what stamina "rating" to sub a position in or out. I don't think I've ever actually tried scrolling to the bottom or anything, but is there really an option to change which quarter your 2nd stringers come in?

If there isn't, this should be a pretty obvious situation. It has always been stated "During the preseason, when the game subs in players for you, leave it alone (aside from the K and P swap...which is just stupid)." If you're having to manually put your starters back in at the beginning of the 2nd quarter and then manually take them back out for the 2nd half, that's really going to a lot of trouble to "get some more work".

I know that playing with backups can be painful at times, but there is merit to it, and it's not fair to be playing your starters longer with the knowledge that injuries are off. If people want to run their starters out their the entire game, we'll be turning injuries back on. Lets not push this issues, folks.

[quote name='CAGLeagueSports']The only thing I've seen in the auto-sub settings is what stamina "rating" to sub a position in or out. I don't think I've ever actually tried scrolling to the bottom or anything, but is there really an option to change which quarter your 2nd stringers come in?

If there isn't, this should be a pretty obvious situation. It has always been stated "During the preseason, when the game subs in players for you, leave it alone (aside from the K and P swap...which is just stupid)." If you're having to manually put your starters back in at the beginning of the 2nd quarter and then manually take them back out for the 2nd half, that's really going to a lot of trouble to "get some more work".

I know that playing with backups can be painful at times, but there is merit to it, and it's not fair to be playing your starters longer with the knowledge that injuries are off. If people want to run their starters out their the entire game, we'll be turning injuries back on. Lets not push this issues, folks.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I have no clue, I just saw that menu option once and figured you could program whatever you wanted. I don't care about the preseason sub stuff at all. I honestly could care less if anyone played starters against me all game, it's not counting anyway.

[quote name='Wpark83']I honestly could care less if anyone played starters against me all game, it's not counting anyway.[/QUOTE]

Well, it counts in the sense that people can rack up XP for their star players without fear of injury. These are basically just new measures and procedures that we (both in here and the other league) have had to think about because of how EA changed the game this year. Since player progression is now performance based rather than experience/potential based, it gives people a legitimate incentive to grind on their star players as much as possible.

But yeah, this basically means that for people to play their starters that extra quarter, they're going into the menus after the 1st quarter, manually subbing them back in, and then manually subbing in backups to start the 3rd quarter. Doesn't really seem necessary. And I will say, I have received a PM about a particular team playing its starting QB the entire game.

These things shouldn't be happening, guys, and we really should know better. Obviously, the people who are new to the league I can cut a little more slack. But if some of us are starting to look for loopholes that we can exploit to give our team an unfair advantage, then we've got problems. I do my best to put general rules in the OP, but it's tough to think of every little thing that somebody might not see as common sense. Yes, it's "just the preseason" and yes, the games don't count. But we still need to keep things fair and people looking for cheap ways to come out ahead isn't something that bodes well for the regular season. Let's try to keep it clean.

Yep I totally agree. I have been playing Josh Johnson as the first string and Brock Osweiler as second string. Because of all the play time Brock has gotten over JJ, I have started to like him better, and will probably be starting him in the regular season. (Let's face it the whole wildcat speed QB thing wasn't going to work for me anyway). The same thing happened with Derron Hardy, my Rookie WR. He played so well in those late quarters that I am now starting him in the slot over Amendola. These preseason games are a great way to test out new players, and try new things, let's not squander that for easy XP.

Edit: I just realized that I probably didn't record any stats with JJ. The Rams got the ball first, had a long drive, I did couple of runs once I got the ball, Reggie Bush then fumbled it and gave it back to him. By the time I got the ball back it was the second quarter, and the game had subbed Brock in. I am assuming this isn't what you are talking about, but I thought I would make it clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
ya i agree ive also had some luck with picking starters in what position even though im not a big fan on the whole pre season i going to be making some moves in my starting rotations. WR mathews might be moving to number 4 after stephen hill looks to be my slot WR from here on out. His speed makes him dominating and his release is pretty good and with the routes i put him on his route runnings has been no issue at all. and his catch is raising as we speak and his CIT as well. and i also think green-ellis is going to get the starting job out of the running backs but i think it will shift back and fourth alot to mix it up

[quote name='Dark Rider']Yep I totally agree. I have been playing Josh Johnson as the first string and Brock Osweiler as second string. Because of all the play time Brock has gotten over JJ, I have started to like him better, and will probably be starting him in the regular season. (Let's face it the whole wildcat speed QB thing wasn't going to work for me anyway). The same thing happened with Derron Hardy, my Rookie WR. He played so well in those late quarters that I am now starting him in the slot over Amendola. These preseason games are a great way to test out new players, and try new things, let's not squander that for easy XP.

Edit: I just realized that I probably didn't record any stats with JJ. The Rams got the ball first, had a long drive, I did couple of runs once I got the ball, Reggie Bush then fumbled it and gave it back to him. By the time I got the ball back it was the second quarter, and the game had subbed Brock in. I am assuming this isn't what you are talking about, but I thought I would make it clear.[/QUOTE]

No, what some were doing I guess is getting to the 2nd quarter, and actually putting their starters back in. As you said, the game will take them out for you. The general rule that we've been following is just to go with it. In part because it's a preseason game and the outcome doesn't really matter. And also because really, in that type of game, you should have more interest in what your backups and rookies can bring to your team.

I know a lot of people acquired new players and probably want to see what they can do with them, but like I said, it doesn't seem fair to be tearing up the field with high level players without the risk of injury. I get that as preseason goes on, starters usually play more, but EA went to the trouble of subbing out your entire team. So, right or wrong, it seems foolish to waste time undoing and redoing that.

[quote name='DVO21']i say screw it lets advance today :)[/QUOTE]

I've still got a game with Blade to play. Should be an exciting 1st quarter, lol.

I'm looking to trade a couple of people:

Cedric Griffin CB - 80 ovr, 80 man, 84 zone, 85 pursuit, 78 press - good nickel corner
Kedric Golston RE - 81 ovr, 82 block shedding, 85 persuit, 85 tackle

Both players are 30 and have 4 years remaining on their contract.

I am looking for strong safety, free safety, outside linebacker, middle linebacker, and possibly a receiver. I'm willing to package both for one good player or trade both individually. Send me a message if anyone is interested.

There's no rule against changing a player's number, is there? I don't mean like any of my stars to try and confuse people. I mean like my rookie WR who is 13 and I want to put him in the 80s, plus one FA LB I signed whose number is 00.

[quote name='JoelyPoley']Is free agency open now as well? Or are we still doing the draft style? Can't remember if there was an issue with this.[/QUOTE]

Wide open, at least until the preseason is over as far as I know.

[quote name='JoelyPoley']Is free agency open now as well? Or are we still doing the draft style? Can't remember if there was an issue with this.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's wide open. Sign who you like. Just watch your cap space. It will most likely be wide open from here on out. The only thing I'm concerned with is I haven't really seen the CPU make any big roster moves (ie. the Colts only have 2 TE's...which would make the Falcons/Colts trade that was agreed to before snakemaster dropped illegal. I still need to get with the committee on what we should do about this one).

[quote name='pitfallharry219']There's no rule against changing a player's number, is there? I don't mean like any of my stars to try and confuse people. I mean like my rookie WR who is 13 and I want to put him in the 80s, plus one FA LB I signed whose number is 00.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's not a big deal. As long as you're not changing known players to try to "disguise" them, it shouldn't be an issue. Hell, if you really wanted to cover your bases, you could just announce the changes in the thread.

[quote name='JoelyPoley']I was supposed to play gpninja at 5 central but something must have came up. I'm fine with advancing whenever.[/QUOTE]
I said I'll shoot you a pm too schedule a game not play.
Sorry for not making that clear.

[quote name='GpNinja']I said I'll shoot you a pm too schedule a game not play.
Sorry for not making that clear.[/QUOTE]

My bad. I misunderstood.

Saw someone earlier mention the Browns being high up there for fourth downs in the preseason. Just wanted to let everyone I haven't played any preseason games, it's been the CPU the whole time.

Also, Brady's number automatically changed when I got him in a trade. That was over a season ago tho so shouldn't be a problem now.

bread's done
Back