CAGLS: Official NHL 13 No Hockey League - Playoffs! Rd 1 - Deadline 12/11!

So are we basically trying to play all the games and the ones we don't are simmed? Don't remember reading a true resolution.

I'll try to play as many games as possible, but I don't want to get burned out halfway through season 1. I want to get through a few seasons.

Haha, suck it old skoolers :p

J/k, but I'm actually surprised that there are so many in favorite of the old rules. Of all the rules changes recently, I always thought that the new overtime rules were the most favored change

Yeah, I gotta say, I'm glad the new rules won. I definitely don't want 5 OT games on top of an 82 game season, and ties are just...eh...feels like a waste. Anyway, about to go create the league now...and I'll be up for some games afterward, if anyone is interested.

Quick couple of HUT question and this seemed like the best place to ask.

1. Where do the pre-order bonus packs from Gamestop show up under? And you get a new one every week for how many weeks?

2. Also you can have a unlimited amount of cards in your collection correct? But only have so many active at one time, right?

Ok, the league is now set up and the first batch of invites have been sent out (people I have on my friends list). I'm trying to figure out how to send invites to people not on my friends list, but sadly, it's way less intuitive than Madden. In the meantime, if anyone wants to search for the league, it is officially called:

CAGLS No Hockey League

Just wait till you guys get a feel for how slow these menus are. May God have mercy on your soul should you ever accidentally go into the wrong menu, lol. ;)

[quote name='moojuice']Haha, suck it old skoolers :p

J/k, but I'm actually surprised that there are so many in favorite of the old rules. Of all the rules changes recently, I always thought that the new overtime rules were the most favored change[/QUOTE]

You hipsters and your shootouts!!!!! :O

I think it's more of that shootouts aren't fun for us who voted. If you know how to be a douche and skate backwards on your shootout, you'll always win over those of us who don't. Just my two cents. I'm cool playing with shootouts though.

[quote name='Panther1484']You hipsters and your shootouts!!!!! :O

I think it's more of that shootouts aren't fun for us who voted. If you know how to be a douche and skate backwards on your shootout, you'll always win over those of us who don't. Just my two cents. I'm cool playing with shootouts though.[/QUOTE]

Except that move won't be allowed in here (they allegedly tuned out its "effectiveness" anyway..but yeah). I need to throw together some official rules, but the Golden Rule is definitely don't be a dick and play the game right. Most people should know what that means. But I'll try to get into more specifics tomorrow.

And holy crap, I can't find any other way to send invites in the league. I've looked everywhere. I checked my mailbox (where I have special commissioner options for reviewing trades and whatnot), I checked the league settings, nothing. Mr hockey just joined, and even though I was able to send him an invite, it notified me that he had sent a join request. Not sure if that's just the way it works or what...but at least it let me accept it no problem.

It's kinda funny. The request came with an automated message that said "Hello, I would like to join, and become the general manager of the Florida Panthers." So official! But anyway, yeah...just search for the league and send a join request if I can't figure this damn invitation thing out.

[quote name='ajh2298']Quick couple of HUT question and this seemed like the best place to ask.

1. Where do the pre-order bonus packs from Gamestop show up under? And you get a new one every week for how many weeks?

2. Also you can have a unlimited amount of cards in your collection correct? But only have so many active at one time, right?[/QUOTE]

They show up in the store. You have to go redeem them.

You can only have 80 consumables, otherwise it's unlimited.

Oh, and I do want to clarify...when I say "start playing your games", I mean setting up your times with your human opponents. Most of the teams in this league are filled, so don't just go off playing the CPU just because somebody hasn't joined yet. That seems pretty obvious, but I never want to assume anything on the internet, haha.

For reference, the only CPU teams we have are the Islanders, Senators, Jets, Blue Jackets, and Flames. For games against those teams, feel free to play the CPU.

[quote name='CAGLeagueSports']Oh, and I do want to clarify...when I say "start playing your games", I mean setting up your times with your human opponents. Most of the teams in this league are filled, so don't just go off playing the CPU just because somebody hasn't joined yet. That seems pretty obvious, but I never want to assume anything on the internet, haha.

For reference, the only CPU teams we have are the Islanders, Senators, Jets, Blue Jackets, and Flames. For games against those teams, feel free to play the CPU.[/QUOTE]

I thought Cheapy was the Isles?

[quote name='Canbanana']figured i'd help you out and just request to join as my team..[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I got it no problem and accepted you. I guess that will have to be how we do it then because I seriously see no other option for sending invitations. It just asked me when I created the league if I wanted to invite any friends, and I said yes, and invited everyone I had on my friends list. I've even looked at the help menu to make sure I'm not missing anything, but there really seems to be no option to send invitations after you've created the league. EA :dunce:

[quote name='jza1218']I thought Cheapy was the Isles?[/QUOTE]

He had to drop because none of the versions of the game were region free.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Except that move won't be allowed in here (they allegedly tuned out its "effectiveness" anyway..but yeah). I need to throw together some official rules, but the Golden Rule is definitely don't be a dick and play the game right. Most people should know what that means. But I'll try to get into more specifics tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Good to know. I'm at peace with the decision now. :D

Also, SJ, PHX, DAL, EDM, CAR, and NSH send me a PM and we can set up some game times. Shooting for sometime Friday since I have a wedding to attend on Saturday and busy Sunday.

[quote name='Canbanana']was there any restrictions on F.A. signings?[/QUOTE]

Don't do anything yet. Let's at least wait until everyone has joined. I'm pretty sure there's a bidding system and different contracts you can offer. So, at the very least, we need to make sure everyone has an equal chance to bid on players. I'll try to hammer out some rules and policies tomorrow...after I get back from the dentist for part 2 of a root canal...yeah...we'll see how I feel, lol.

Ummmmmm. It won't let me select our league. I put the highlight over it on the list, and it makes it skip over it. Is anyone else having this problem?

[quote name='DestroVega']Ummmmmm. It won't let me select our league. I put the highlight over it on the list, and it makes it skip over it. Is anyone else having this problem?[/QUOTE]

That's weird. Not sure what to tell you other than make sure you type the whole thing in. If you type "CAGLS No Hockey League". I would imagine that only one league would show up. I really have no idea though since I didn't have to actually join it myself.

[quote name='ajh2298']So just for reference skating backwards towards the net ala Martin St. Louis on a shootout is not allowed?[/QUOTE]

Moojuice and I were just talking about this, and it occurred to us that on shootouts and penalty shots, you control the goalie yourself. So, in those cases, I think it's fine. The issue is just that it's a move that EA didn't program right, and the AI goalie doesn't react properly when you spin back to your forehand. So, any time you're not facing a human controlled goalie, you shouldn't be doing it (ie. breakaways...but really, it doesn't make sense on breakaways anyway...other than just knowing that it has a higher likelihood of going in). Hope that makes sense.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']That's weird. Not sure what to tell you other than make sure you type the whole thing in. If you type "CAGLS No Hockey League". I would imagine that only one league would show up. I really have no idea though since I didn't have to actually join it myself.[/QUOTE]

Ok yeah this worked. Anyone else with the problem I had should do this.

Also, FWIW, in the video, he isn't completely backwards...more sideways than anything. Basically, what he is doing is nothing like what people do in the actual game.

Wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't borderline exploitable against the AI goalies

[quote name='n8rockerasu']That's weird. Not sure what to tell you other than make sure you type the whole thing in. If you type "CAGLS No Hockey League". I would imagine that only one league would show up. I really have no idea though since I didn't have to actually join it myself.

Moojuice and I were just talking about this, and it occurred to us that on shootouts and penalty shots, you control the goalie yourself. So, in those cases, I think it's fine. The issue is just that it's a move that EA didn't program right, and the AI goalie doesn't react properly when you spin back to your forehand. So, any time you're not facing a human controlled goalie, you shouldn't be doing it (ie. breakaways...but really, it doesn't make sense on breakaways anyway...other than just knowing that it has a higher likelihood of going in). Hope that makes sense.[/QUOTE]

Wow you control the goal tender in a shootout/penalty shot? I didn't know this. I have had one shootout in the game and it was the CPU that controlled the goaltender. I guess I will have to practice my goaltending.

[quote name='sendme']Wow you control the goal tender in a shootout/penalty shot? I didn't know this. I have had one shootout in the game and it was the CPU that controlled the goaltender. I guess I will have to practice my goaltending.[/QUOTE]

I didnt know that either. Not a fan of that at all...

I could be wrong on the goalie control in the shootout though... Haven't played an OT game in vs mode since the early release, so it's been a while.

[quote name='moojuice']I could be wrong on the goalie control in the shootout though... Haven't played an OT game in vs mode since the early release, so it's been a while.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure you do control them. I haven't played an OT vs game online yet this year, but knowing EA, I doubt they changed anything.

[quote name='Twick87']wait, so are you saying moves like this aren't allowed?[/QUOTE]

If you were to do that in a game, it would most likely be an accident, lol. Also, how is that anything close to skating backward?

For those who haven't had the pleasure of experiencing it online, this is what we're talking about. People do this online to take advantage of stupid AI and get cheap goals because EA doesn't know how to program the goalies to react properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvm31Chl5NA

Actually, that's his weak side, extremely extremely weak side. That's how I score in HUT non stop. Even without skating backwards since I always have AI pressure.

Ok another HUT question for the experts on here. How come everytime I add a card to one of my players my systems freezes?

I sent mine last night before going to bed. Nate wasn't kidding about the menus. Just switching through the team select thing was sloooooooooooow.

Oh yeah- if anyone wants to schedule a game with me for late afternoon/early evening, let me know. I'm the Kings.

Last edited by a moderator:
The menu structure really is horrid. I was telling Alan last night, it feels like a SNES game...or a DOS game running on a 5.25" floppy disc. "Select team...please wait...loading...select player...please wait...loading..." The development team really should have been taken out behind the woodshed and shot for this. It's worse than the UFC 2009 menu, which was ridiculed for being incredibly slow. I can't say it enough...they're being outperformed by Madden. MADDEN! :wall:

I nned to play phonix, Minnesota, and Anaheim if any of you guys will be online tonight. I should be on after 7:30 CST

[quote name='Matt Young']I sent mine last night before going to bed. Nate wasn't kidding about the menus. Just switching through the team select thing was sloooooooooooow.

Oh yeah- if anyone wants to schedule a game with me for late afternoon/early evening, let me know. I'm the Kings.[/QUOTE]

Define late afternoon.

If it didn't have to retrieve the data from EA constantly it wouldn't be to bad but then who wants to leave their xbox on 24/7 with NHL running in case we wanna play a game? In a lot of ways the PC version was superior, maybe one day it will make it's way back.

Sadly, no matchup with Gary for me yet, but I do have one on the schedule vs. Nate. The rest are CPU teams, except statnut, who beat me 3-1 just a little bit ago. Good game, dude!

Hey Cap, will you be on at the same time tomorrow (or anytime tomorrow, really)? I can't play at that time tonight, but I do have you on my schedule.

bread's done
Back