CAGs with Young Kids/Birthdays

Frankski

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Hey all

Looking for input from you CAGs with kids (under 5). What do you all typically do for said-child's birthday?

My son is turning 3 in a few months. We've always just done a big house party/barbeque, inviting the friends of ours with kids/college friends (whom we still hang out with)/neighborhood kiddies that we play with. A couple of kids around my son's age recently had parties at Chuck E Cheese and a cool indoor place with moonbounces and the like. But I think that turning 3 is still a little young to bother with stuff like that.

So I'm looking to hear from you all as to cool idea for kid's birthday parties! Also, if we go the route with a barbeque/backyard party, are goody bags something that kids go for at this point, or am I deluding myself.

Thanks in advance,

-Frankski, parent of a young'un

I just attended a birthday party for twin 3-year-old girls last week. The mom rented one of those bouncy-houses and served pizza and snacks in the garage. The kids seemed thrilled with the thing, so I wouldn't go too overboard with it.

I like the idea of using the garage, that's a little more manageable. A bouncy castle for a b-day just blows my mind, though.

I know it's common, now, but man alive. It shouldn't be that easy to jimmyflip (thanks Boosh), they should be uncommon events, each jimmyflip should be savored. I don't want to guess at the reasons why some parents go to these levels of extravagance, basically crafting up a wedding with a bouncy castle, there's treat bags, seating, adults boozing/chatting, everybody jimmyflipping because some asshole is a year older.

Somebody getting a bouncy castle for their b-day when I was a kid would've seemed like brickshitting levels of extravagance. I would've heard about that shit at school, people would've been talking about the rich kid who had a bouncy castle for his/her b-day for weeks.

Even treat bags for guests, that would've been so odd to encounter. You got cake. Maybe there would be hotdogs and chips before the cake, depended on whether or not the kid's family had money.

I'm realizing now as a parent that it was easier to get away with cheap bullshit when you live in the sticks. Everyone wasn't poor necessarily, it wasn't poverty, just cheap.

Sometime between my childhood and my kids', kid birthday parties have turned into a one-upsmanship contest. You may not be experiencing it with your kid at 3 yet, but I guarantee you will in a couple of years.

My daughter is turning 6. She's have her 1st party with friends so we are renting out a few lanes a a bowling alley and serving pizza. Our girl who is turning 3 is just having the family party at home. She's to young for a ton of stuff. My oldest got invited to one of her friends parties and they did a "Mad Hatter" tea party with everyone dressing up, doing some arts and crafts, had some finger foods, and had Alice in Wonderland playing on the Big Screen TV. Kids had a ball. As long as the kids have fun, I don't see the big deal.

We just had some family and friends over for our kids' three-year parties. We didn't begin "real" parties until five years old. The kids were just thrilled there was something special going on and that they got some cake and presents.

bread's done
Back