Call before you go

eldergamer

CAGiversary!
I know identity theft is a serious concern these days, but it seems as if my credit union has taken things a bit too far.

Went with the wife and kids to outlet mall today, (which didn't quite have outlet mall prices, but that's a side note)

She took her debit card and I took me and we split up. Both cards draw from one account. Apparently the cards being used so frequently (she made a purchase in one store, just as as I made another) as well as being outside of her 'home area' (we were 30 miles away) set off red flags and our cards were shut down.

This leads to embarrass stares from cashiers telling you, your card ha been declined.

I checked my bank page before we left to know what our spending limits were, but I guess I should have called the bank too, asked if I could spend my money.

Uh, Mom? I'm going to take my debit card to the mall. Is that okay?

I bet if somebody stole your card and used it up you'd be bitching that there is no safety measure in place to prevent something like this from happening, especially since you're so far out of your area.

I think you should be happy the bank did that, I know I would be... They're just taking precautionary measures so that YOUR money is safe. Be grateful what JimmieMac said didn't happen. . .

This to me seems like a good yet bad thing. It is good that they have something in play so that someone cant use your card but also it keeps you from using your card. I would think you would be able to set something different up with your bank/credit union.

I understand your distress. However, I would much prefer such discerning security than a too lax system that crooks could abuse.

*shrugs*

I would think multiple purchases within a short span of time should trigger some sort of alert. Look at it this way, from their records, two people were using your card, from the bank's point of view that should raise a red flag that someone might have jacked your card and shared it with someone else and was going on a shopping spree. I'd appreciate the added security especially since this is a debit card and the money is coming out of your bank account directly.

[quote name='dopa345']I would think multiple purchases within a short span of time should trigger some sort of alert. Look at it this way, from their records, two people were using your card, from the bank's point of view that should raise a red flag that someone might have jacked your card and shared it with someone else and was going on a shopping spree. I'd appreciate the added security especially since this is a debit card and the money is coming out of your bank account directly.[/quote]

Seconded, and it's not like a quick call to your bank couldn't have cleared it up.

I'd say be grateful someone's is actively watching over the behavior of your accounts (be it a computer or not).

~HotShotX

I'm surprised they shut it down. My bank calls when that happens. If we buy games at different game stores in different cities, which sometimes happens when we're traveling if we see mom and pop stores, invariably I get a call on my cell asking if it's legit.

Security which hinders one's ability to use a product or service isn't good security. Security isn't supposed to interfere with the normal use of something, though most businesses don't seem to understand that.

[quote name='JolietJake']Security which hinders one's ability to use a product or service isn't good security. Security isn't supposed to interfere with the normal use of something, though most businesses don't seem to understand that.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't normal use though. Two people were using the card at the same time. I would think that should be a red flag

[quote name='dopa345']It wasn't normal use though. Two people were using the card at the same time. I would think that should be a red flag[/quote]
It's completely possible, that two people with two cards, linked to the same account, could use them within a close time frame, like happened here. If they are going to lock the use of the cards when that happens, then they shouldn't allow two cards to be linked to one account.

Calling about it i could understand, i think Amex does that if they see a strange purchase, like a canoe for someone who doesn't go canoing, but to just lock the cards out is ridiculous.

Yeah, I like extra security on debit cards or visa check cards just because if they're stolen (as mine was in an armed robbery a couple months ago) it's a pain as the money is gone and takes a while to be replaced.

Credit cards are no big deal as the money isn't out of your account and they just credit it back for you instantly, vs. having to sign an affidavit and wait a couple weeks with bank cards to get your money back.

wow, that seems pretty harsh.

This is yet another reason why I HATE debit cards, you get no protection buying something with a debit card. if someone steals your debit card and empties your bank account your screwed (happened to my friend, it took him weeks to get his money back, he couldn't pay rent, or any of his other bills because of this). Plus, you build NO credit by using a debit card.

with a credit card, if someone steals your card and buys something on it, you call, report it stolen, and your not liable for anything... and best of all you STILL have your money in your bank account, and your building a credit record for yourself (assuming you pay the bill on time)

bread's done
Back