Call of Duty 3 (Xbox 360-Asia) No Region Protection $48 shipped at play-asia

Thanks...I'm in.

By the way, for those who don't mind waiting for Gears of War, word on the (virtual) street is that the Asian version is going to be region free too.

Thanks for the early morning deal. Although I might have to wait for the Wii or PC version (or both.) I still haven't decided.

And what's this about GoW being region free? If so, that'd be pretty sweet. But then again, I can hardly wait one day (11/8) to pick it up at Fry's for $49.99. Ugh.

What's the reason for it being 45 instead of 39 this time?

Is it me or does Play-Asia like to charge more for marquee titles...which is ok, but just interesting.

I've actually asked them about that.

If you notice that titles like GOW and Tony Hawk, two big titles are priced at $40.

It has to do with their supplier. Often, suppliers will make retailers buy other titles in addition to those they actually want. Usuually those "other titles" are less desirable games that wont sell nearly as well. I remember defender telling me something similar when he ran his game shop in NYC.

Video game retail can be a tough (read: shitty) business.

[quote name='JDMxB']What's the reason for it being 45 instead of 39 this time?

Is it me or does Play-Asia like to charge more for marquee titles...which is ok, but just interesting.[/QUOTE]
I believe you mean "marque". The extra "e" makes all the difference ;)

Are all these asian games compatible online as well with regular domestic release? And are they exactly the same as the domestic releases?

I've never actually gotten a 360 game from PlayAsia...yet. But do these have really cool Asian box art which we can use to impress our friends and ladies? Please say yes!

Hey Cheapy, what happened to the idea of making a simple FAQ page that we could link whenever someone posts a Play Asia deal like this?

[quote name='egonpax']Thanks for the early morning deal. Although I might have to wait for the Wii or PC version (or both.) I still haven't decided.

And what's this about GoW being region free? If so, that'd be pretty sweet. But then again, I can hardly wait one day (11/8) to pick it up at Fry's for $49.99. Ugh.[/QUOTE]

there is no PC version [ which makes me sad ].

and i too was thinking about getting it for the Wii until i saw screenshots, it looks horrid.

Any word on whether R63 will be back on for sale there? I know it was listed for awhile and then it was pulled. Thanks.

A little disappointed this went up to $45. I'll have to wait for reviews (and there are almost none as I write this--a little scary for a game that supposedly is out today) before I consider getting this what with all the AAA titles and new consoles coming out this month.

R63 is available for pre-order @$44.95, but still no confirmation of US compatibility.

[quote name='danny-o']Are all these asian games compatible online as well with regular domestic release? And are they exactly the same as the domestic releases?[/QUOTE]
yes

[quote name='jm2u']I've never actually gotten a 360 game from PlayAsia...yet. But do these have really cool Asian box art which we can use to impress our friends and ladies? Please say yes![/QUOTE]
same as US. For Tomb Raider it even have the same upc code.

[quote name='RonnieWrecked']there is no PC version [ which makes me sad ].

and i too was thinking about getting it for the Wii until i saw screenshots, it looks horrid.[/QUOTE]
wait, there isn't a PC version? man i haven't done much research on it... well craptacular.

i hope the Wii graphics will be good enough.......

here's hoping that GoW is region free!!! Come on!! (if i can't pick it up today from Fry's...)

[quote name='danny-o']Are all these asian games compatible online as well with regular domestic release? And are they exactly the same as the domestic releases?[/QUOTE]

YES, why do you think I bought a Japanese 360? So I can buy the region locked Asian domestic shit that's the same version as the American one, only cheaper. Even the CE's are available for some of these games.

Thanks for the post!!! I'm in for one and ordered the Soccer faceplate. That put me just over $50, used a $5 off coupon, and ordered both to be sent in a box. For $55, that's cheaper than the US version without tax AND the extra faceplate!!! :D

CAG ROCKS and CheapyD rules for starting it all!!! :)

Though I still don't know how he wasn't impressed with Gran Turismo HD... ;)

[quote name='gofishn']1UP strikes again:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154976

Joystiq picked up the article too.[/quote]

Yup, looks like this guy doesn't give a rip and is just going to keep on posting these deals as 1up's own "news". I guess being a journalist involves registering to other sites and getting your tips from them.

I like the sub: "How long before these sweet deal get cracked down?". :roll:

[quote name='gunm']Yup, looks like this guy doesn't give a rip and is just going to keep on posting these deals as 1up's own "news". I guess being a journalist involves registering to other sites and getting your tips from them.

I like the sub: "How long before these sweet deal get cracked down?". :roll:[/QUOTE]

I'm sure the guy has become an affiliate himself and is getting some nice referral money out of this as well.

[quote name='gofishn']I'm sure the guy has become an affiliate himself and is getting some nice referral money out of this as well.[/quote]Nah, he isn't. I can tell from the link.

While I find 1up's reporting of these "sweet deals" very eyebrow-raising, to say the least, Mark Whiting is not alone in his concern over Microsoft 'cracking down' on these deals. Does anyone know about the feasibility of Microsoft one way or another forcing Play-Asia to stop selling region-free games at up to $21 off the U.S. MSRP? Can they force publishers to eliminate the region-free aspect of just about every game made in the future? Can this really have enough of an impact with Microsoft to compel them to take some sort of action? Just what are the economic reprecussions of being pricks and meddling with this 'cheapass' option?

P.S. Whiting is the guy formerly known as "Beige" on their boards that seemed to get namechecked in podcasts this past Spring and Summer more than Reggie and Peter Moore combined. Maybe he's gotten a little too 'big' too fast?

P.P.S. $12 isn't enough of a deal for me to burden myself with this game anytime soon. I just got Ultimate Alliance via Play-Asia in Saturday's mail, and I'm getting Gears of War tomorrow. Then, the Wii. Oy!

Thanks OP and CheapyD.

Great deals lately and always.

This is my first transaction with Play-Asia and if this goes well they might get my money for FEAR and other games that they will have cheap later on.

I ordered earlier today. I can't wait for CoD3. I just hope the new developer didn't screw everything up.
[quote name='jollydwarf']While I find 1up's reporting of these "sweet deals" very eyebrow-raising, to say the least, Mark Whiting is not alone in his concern over Microsoft 'cracking down' on these deals. Does anyone know about the feasibility of Microsoft one way or another forcing Play-Asia to stop selling region-free games at up to $21 off the U.S. MSRP? Can they force publishers to eliminate the region-free aspect of just about every game made in the future? Can this really have enough of an impact with Microsoft to compel them to take some sort of action? Just what are the economic reprecussions of being pricks and meddling with this 'cheapass' option?
[/quote]
I don't know why Microsoft would really care about region free games on Play Asia because us CAGs are only a tiny amount of the market that I'm sure makes up less then 1% of game sales and really they need to move as many asian copies of games as possible.

Yeah, that's why I asked what people thought about the "economic reprecussions". What you stated was my 'first guess' but I wanted to hear what other, most likely more informed CAG users had to say.

Still, if this import option catches on and becomes a much more significant percentage of game sales, then it would seem that the likelihood that Microsoft would have some sort of issue with it would increase, too. Enough of an issue to take some sort of action, or just gnash their teeth? I'm not sure. I guess I'm just conditioned anymore to expect console manufacturers and publishers to make the unpopular decision, only leaving the 'When' open.

For many games, it's not an issue for me because I either buy them before learning of their region-free status, or just can't wait the extra couple weeks (or more) to get them.* It's just a nice option to have for those 'bubble' games, and I hope that Microsoft and the publishers realize that for most of us, the games we get are games we would've waited on a comparable price drop for anyway.

*--Like getting my Gears preorder in about 12-15 hours.

I'm more annoyed that 1up isn't passing credit over to CAG for their "sweet deal" news. And probably more than Cheapy, I'm guessing...

Kick Ass and I may have to rethink my sentiments (ergo prejudices) towards this game. I guess that Treyarch may have actually pulled it off and have learned from their mistakes on Big Red One. I was expecting this game to be mediocre at best (or in that range), but it now seems that based on preliminary reviews that it will actually turn out pretty good. Not Call of Duty 2 good, but still good. hell I just want to play some multiplayer with my crew and clan.

I know people are very loyal to these boards (myself included), but I honestly think that people who know Play-Asia sell 360 games for $40 don't necessarily get their info from CAG all the time. I knew COD3 was coming out today in the USA and I had already bought Tomb Raider Legend from there last time (thanks to CAG), but does that mean everytime I jump on a deal for a 360 game on the cheap, CAG should get credit? That dude could have been checking the Play Asia website everyday until they confirmed that the game was in fact region free? Nobody really knows.

[quote name='OGHowie']I know people are very loyal to these boards (myself included), but I honestly think that people who know Play-Asia sell 360 games for $40 don't necessarily get their info from CAG all the time. I knew COD3 was coming out today in the USA and I had already bought Tomb Raider Legend from there last time (thanks to CAG), but does that mean everytime I jump on a deal for a 360 game on the cheap, CAG should get credit? That dude could have been checking the Play Asia website everyday until they confirmed that the game was in fact region free? Nobody really knows.[/QUOTE]

True, but I think Cheapy usually gets the scoop on when games are going to be region free and posts the info in advance since he knows people at Play-Asia.

[quote name='OGHowie']I know people are very loyal to these boards (myself included), but I honestly think that people who know Play-Asia sell 360 games for $40 don't necessarily get their info from CAG all the time. I knew COD3 was coming out today in the USA and I had already bought Tomb Raider Legend from there last time (thanks to CAG), but does that mean everytime I jump on a deal for a 360 game on the cheap, CAG should get credit? That dude could have been checking the Play Asia website everyday until they confirmed that the game was in fact region free? Nobody really knows.[/quote]

Yeah, I know what you're saying, but how did he know to even go to play-asia in the first place? The timing is too much of a coincidence for me to think the guy thought of this all by his lonesome. It doesn't help that these game bloggers have accounts here.

Is it really that big a deal? No, not really, but it's still annoying.

[quote name='gunm']Yeah, I know what you're saying, but how did he know to even go to play-asia in the first place? The timing is too much of a coincidence for me to think the guy thought of this all by his lonesome. It doesn't help that these game bloggers have accounts here.

Is it really that big a deal? No, not really, but it's still annoying.[/quote]

2 words - EMAIL NEWSLETTER.

Hardly a timing coincidence as I (and probably many others) find out about those deals around the same time they hit the net becuase I subscribe to the Play-Asia newsletter that basically tells you what games are region free. I dont know why you get so annoyed. It's silly.

it's funny how things like this are the real reason why companies should impliment reigon locking in the first place.

not for games like IIDX and Drummania........... or hell even 99 nights where they fuck up the localization.

By the way, for those who don't mind waiting for Gears of War, word on the (virtual) street is that the Asian version is going to be region free too.

i'd be damn suprised if that happened considering Gears of War is published by Microsoft Game Studios, and every game thusfar from them has been reigon locked. And For good reason too.

[quote name='Zoglog']it's funny how things like this are the real reason why companies should impliment reigon locking in the first place.

not for games like IIDX and Drummania........... or hell even 99 nights where they fuck up the localization.

i'd be damn suprised if that happened considering Gears of War is published by Microsoft Game Studios, and every game thusfar from them has been reigon locked. And For good reason too.[/quote]

Err...just out of curiosity...what good reason is that?

[quote name='MyMelodysteg']2 words - EMAIL NEWSLETTER.

Hardly a timing coincidence as I (and probably many others) find out about those deals around the same time they hit the net becuase I subscribe to the Play-Asia newsletter that basically tells you what games are region free. I dont know why you get so annoyed. It's silly.[/quote]

2 words - Who Cares? I already said it's not a big deal, but I wanted to say it anyway.

I don't know why you care what I think, since I don't know you from a hole in the wall. It's silly. :cool:

[quote name='gunm']2 words - Who Cares? I already said it's not a big deal, but I wanted to say it anyway.

I don't know why you care what I think, since I don't know you from a hole in the wall. It's silly. :cool:[/quote]

Wow 3 separate posts on how it bothers you and now you say its no big deal? Looks like your the one that made it a big deal missy. If you really didnt care you wouldnt have replied to my post :shame:

Besides, you're the one that was immature enought to bring up the topic in the first place so dont cry when people respond.
Im so sorry you are wrong. Apology accepted.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Err...just out of curiosity...what good reason is that?[/QUOTE]

They set different prices for different markets across the globe, because the standard of living is different. Hence the Asia version is cheaper to match the market. Since the Asia version is a shining doppelganger of the USA version it would make sense to prevent people from importing it when it cannabalizes sales in the USA for the same product. The issue is far different for things like Idol M@ster which will never reach these shores 99% of the time.

Well, it looked like the original cover art matched the US release... so I finally jumped on it. But now they've switched it to a different shot showing PAL and other labeling to make it different than the US release.

I know it will work on my 360 and it'll be great and etc.... but I'm worried now about when it's time to trade it on in. What are you guys planning to do... or have done with other games to credit for them?

Thanks!

[quote name='tanis']Well, it looked like the original cover art matched the US release... so I finally jumped on it. But now they've switched it to a different shot showing PAL and other labeling to make it different than the US release.

I know it will work on my 360 and it'll be great and etc.... but I'm worried now about when it's time to trade it on in. What are you guys planning to do... or have done with other games to credit for them?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Just trade it in without a box.

[quote name='tanis']Well, it looked like the original cover art matched the US release... so I finally jumped on it. But now they've switched it to a different shot showing PAL and other labeling to make it different than the US release.

Thanks![/quote]

I doubt you'll have trouble trading it in.

bread's done
Back