Call of Duty Black OPS

The flamethrower attachment is laughable. Hit some dude face to face for seconds and he wouldn't die.
And what's the equivalent of the stinger in this one?? Don't tell me killstreaks are indestructible >_

[quote name='Rhett']I am sooooo contented with the inclusion of Combat Training. I could kiss Vahn on the lips!

Oh, and multiplayer's decent, too. The bots are better than most players. :D[/QUOTE]
I just wish it was available offline. My connection sucks and I really enjoy playing against the bots, hopefully they patch it in at some point

So I've seen some peeps on my list playing Combat training. What's the big deal about playing with bots?

Anyone have any fun with Wager matches? I played a small fry Gun Game and won first and had a blast. When I went into a 1000+ match I lost my ass. I definitely like this style of deathmatch. It's like the old golden eye days when you'd force everyone to play w/ weird ass weapons. The only thing is that matchmakign took forever in wager.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']So I've seen some peeps on my list playing Combat training. What's the big deal about playing with bots?

Anyone have any fun with Wager matches? I played a small fry Gun Game and won first and had a blast. When I went into a 1000+ match I lost my ass. I definitely like this style of deathmatch. It's like the old golden eye days when you'd force everyone to play w/ weird ass weapons. The only thing is that matchmakign took forever in wager.[/QUOTE]

I just prefer them to real players, but there's also days when I don't feel like going on and getting owned trying to "warm up" so I can also own.

Plus, these bots are pretty smart. They use killstreaks, grenades, all kinds of different guns and attachments, and they don't instantly know where you are unless you either shoot or reveal yourself. If you camp, they'll hunt you down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems pretty good. Is it me though, or is the color palette used in the multiplayer maps not as pleasing as MW2? The only map I really liked in terms of colors was Nuketown.

Also, it seems like the resolution is lower?

anyone run into the infinite care package glitch yet? i wont go into the details of it but its out there and it sucks to go up against it

[quote name='help1']Seems pretty good. Is it me though, or is the color palette used in the multiplayer maps not as pleasing as MW2? The only map I really liked in terms of colors was Nuketown.

Also, it seems like the resolution is lower?[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. The weapons themselves don't have that much definition about them. I remember when I first played the original MW and was amazed by the details of each weapon and how true to life they were. I was in the Army for a few years and it was a very accurate reproduction of the some of the weapons.

However, this game does take place in a different era. Maybe that is why the guns look so undefined or fake to me?

I haven't touched the campaign yet but the sound and soundtrack for the multiplayer is pretty good.

[quote name='Rhett']I'm sure that's because there's 3 million people trying to play at once (half of which are in 3+ people parties)... :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I was just going to post this. People complaining about lag have to understand there could be 1M+ people playing at one time. That's a whole lot of people to support.[/QUOTE]

This is P2P multiplayer. It's not like we are all trying to play on the same server. Obviously some slight connections are made to servers to post stats, determine the next map etc.., but every other game seems to do this just fine. The amount of people playing is no excuse.

Earlier there was 3.3 million playing on XBL.

I'm enjoying the shit out of the multiplayer so far. Feels infinitely better than MW 2. And it's really refreshing to not have death raining down from the sky every five seconds.

So let me get this straight...

3 Zombie levels = Kino + Pentagon + Shitty top-down shooter? (Dead Ops)

Boo. That's lame.

So far I love it. Single player is a little less realistic than I expected (ie. blowing up a transport truck while 40ft away with a shotgun while riding a motorcycle), but nevertheless I'm still having a great time.

I've played DoA a TON and am in sweet sweet love.

As for the multiplayer, I don't like the flamethrower and IMO Nuketown is a AMAZING map but way way way too small.

Other than that though, amazing game, lived right up to my expectations. Oh and Zork is fucking awesome!

Seems good so far. Only played the MP. Guns feel a tad light, and the textures seem a bit bland in some maps, but had a good time.

[quote name='Fjordson']Earlier there was 3.3 million playing on XBL.

I'm enjoying the shit out of the multiplayer so far. Feels infinitely better than MW 2. And it's really refreshing to not have death raining down from the sky every five seconds.[/QUOTE]

QFT.

I love the MP so far. I haven't come across any glitchers yet, but the Treyarch boss stated that they are already working on a patch to fix things. The only problem I have with MP is the Party and room drops. My friends and I got in about 3 games last night over a 6 hour period. Hopefully that will be fixed as well. I like it a lot more than MW2 for sure.

Is anyone else finding it takes more shots to kill someone? I unloaded 2 clips on a guy with my MP5 before he went down. Granted he was somewhat further away, but it happens with the M16 as well. I have to fire 3 times with a 3 round burst in order to kill someone. My friends kept complaining that the M16 wasn't nerfed or fixed and I totally disagree.

chopper gunner seems overpowered. the rc cars are obnoxious. I had a ton of problems with members of my party being disconnected. twice it took us 15 minutes to get all of us into a lobby and the game started.

Im glad to finally see splt screen online play. Big thank you for including that.

The credit/ranking system is good so far, having to buy your stuff adds a lot IMO.

I'm enjoying the game big-time. I don't know what it is but after MW2 I'm starting to prefer Treyarch's map designs, Nuketown is ridiculous (kind of like Dome from WaW) but fun, the other levels have a good sense of layout also without feeling like "this is the camping map," etc.

The SP is a lot of fun and the story is a bit different than previous COD games. I'm only a couple of hours in but I like it -- the big gripe for me is that there's no real sense of "period atmosphere" given the era. Other than a parked car here and there you get no sense that this is taking place in the 60s, the music feels the same.

I do appreciate the Combat Training mode, my wife is enjoying the heck out of that, and the community videos and such are a real nice inclusion. Overall I think Treyarch frankly is continuing to step up to the plate in spite of the naysayers. I liked WaW just fine and this one is another big step for them.

The m16 doesnt feel as dominant. I felt like I was putting tons of rounds into guy when I started with it, after putting a relfex sight on it it seemed more reasonable.

I played for a few hours yesterday and didnt run across glitching but I attribute that more to it being release day than something I can expect over the games life.

[quote name='Pck21']QFT.

I love the MP so far. I haven't come across any glitchers yet, but the Treyarch boss stated that they are already working on a patch to fix things. The only problem I have with MP is the Party and room drops. My friends and I got in about 3 games last night over a 6 hour period. Hopefully that will be fixed as well. I like it a lot more than MW2 for sure.

Is anyone else finding it takes more shots to kill someone? I unloaded 2 clips on a guy with my MP5 before he went down. Granted he was somewhat further away, but it happens with the M16 as well. I have to fire 3 times with a 3 round burst in order to kill someone. My friends kept complaining that the M16 wasn't nerfed or fixed and I totally disagree.[/QUOTE]

One thing I forgot to mention is the spawns really stink. Especially in Free for All. I was constantly having guys spawn right behind me, or spawning behind people myself.

Once in Nuketown I killed a guy in the corner of the map, he spawned behind me and killed me as I was walking away, then I spawned right behind him (he'd crouched behind a fence) and knifed him.

Seemed a tad better in Team Deathmatch and Groundwar, but still several times of spawning right near an enemy and getting killed before you know what's going on.

[quote name='Rhett']I just prefer them to real players, but there's also days when I don't feel like going on and getting owned trying to "warm up" so I can also own.

Plus, these bots are pretty smart. They use killstreaks, grenades, all kinds of different guns and attachments, and they don't instantly know where you are unless you either shoot or reveal yourself. If you camp, they'll hunt you down.[/QUOTE]

Also to add, they have aimbots aswell so there will be specific ones that automatically aim at your head, and some will just automatically aim at your body. Its kind of funny to watch the kill cam on these because you can see it "snap" into place.

As for the combat training. I am super glad they brought the practicing with AI in games back. I used to remember when I played Rainbow Six Ravenshield on PC with the AI, will truly make you a better all around player, as well as getting a feel for the lay of the land and use of the guns...now maybe the girlfriend will actually try and play the game with me :bouncy:

I picked it up and played about an hour last night (Sorry I have a life) and only played MP with some friends.

Anyone else notice how the Helicopters never go away or is this the glitch everyone is talking about? Also it seems like I'd move a little and there would be someone sneaking up behind me.

Someone else mentioned this but yeah I think it's harder to kill someone, empty a clip and they go down and use the "coward" Last Stand then they die or kill you in the process.

I've noticed in some matches helicopters never seem to go away.
Weapons seem better balanced but the usual knife BS is still in the game - ie if your infront of them shooting them like crazy and they knife you they still have a very high chance at winning.
I noticed scavenger does not refresh noob tube grenades, not sure about scavenger pro.
Sniping is less prevalent and is just harder to do in general. However, camping is still dominate (most people camp in a corner in a certain area, then move to another corner once discovered).

This is Tryarch's best work but feels like MW 2.5, just no Nuke or EMP's which I'm sure will be back in MW3.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']
I noticed scavenger does not refresh noob tube grenades, not sure about scavenger pro.[/QUOTE]

Scavenger pro only replenishes grenades.

Aww hell yeah, tracking number says out for delivery. That was fast for gamestop.com saver shipping! Now just have to wait for the mail man to come by. :D

[quote name='seanr1221']I really like how killstreak rewards don't add to your overall killstreak.[/QUOTE]

Oh and this to.

[quote name='seanr1221']Just unlocked the Famas. Seems like one of the better weapons in the game.[/QUOTE]

I actually really dislike how the gun handles, but that's IMO. Wish I had the good ol' SCAR still.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I actually really dislike how the gun handles, but that's IMO. Wish I had the good ol' SCAR still.[/QUOTE]

The SCAR was overrated unless you had Extended Mags, Scavenger and knew how to burst fire. Pray and sprayers couldn't hit anything at long range and ran out of ammo very quickly.

I'm having a lot of fun with my painted up Mac 11. Sometimes with grip, other times extended clip, and now maybe the silencer. Always with fast reload perk. The cute little gun just can't compete in the med-long range shootouts however.

The starting weapons it seems really take too many bullets to down someone.

When I use the M16 I get off 2 to 3 bursts to someone's torso and sometimes they die, mean while I watch the kill cam of the person who killed me, shooting at my legs and I die in a couple rounds. I don't get it. I'm really liking it, just played a couple One in the Chamber games, definitely intense, but the Core games just get annoying when it takes so many bullets to kill someone and I die in so few.

I was playing with a bunch of CAGs last night in Ground War, Attacking, Chernobyl, dmaul, everyone took so many rounds to die and I died in 1 or 2, I really don't understand.

MVP was killing me in a burst of Uzi rounds while I'm bursting him down with an M16 at like 100 yards on WMD I think the map was. I dunno if it's the gun or what.

I never played WaW Zombies, so this was my first Zombie experience on CoD and I gotta say, I don't get it. I mean, its kinda like Horde mode on Gears, but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe because I didn't fully understand it. There was some lights that when I got close to them it said I needed to power them on? I don't know, guess I'll stick with good ol' TDM.

The ACOGs on most guns are awesome! (excluding the SUSAT sight on the L86 and Enfield...but it's still usable) - I'm enjoying the M14 w/ ACOG, and also the Dragunov. PSG-1 sucks arse.

It's completely possible to "quick scope" (hate the term...) with ACOGs on sniper rifles, still. It's fun, it's balanced.

Sniping, however, is difficult but not impossible.

I'm psyched to unlock the crossbow. Only like two more levels to go... (Combat Training... played SO much more of this than MP...)

I really hope they continue to support the bots. If they keep it up in the future, that'd be a prime selling point for me like with Black Ops.

Edit:
If anyone specifically enjoys zombies and plays it or plans to play it often, please add me. I'm not sure many people on my list would like to play it very often.

Can Someone tell me what the age rating on the game is? I haven't been able to check if it's a 16 or 18 online, well I'm presuming it's 18, but I want to be sure :p

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I never played WaW Zombies, so this was my first Zombie experience on CoD and I gotta say, I don't get it. I mean, its kinda like Horde mode on Gears, but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe because I didn't fully understand it. There was some lights that when I got close to them it said I needed to power them on? I don't know, guess I'll stick with good ol' TDM.[/QUOTE]

This. I dont understand why everyone bust a nut for this mode. It is fun with 3 of your friends but I dont really get why people fall all over themselves about it. Although I find it kinda funny that people only do so when Treyarch makes a COD. No one seems to care when IW said it would be in MW2.

Solid mode but I think its vastly over rated by the zombie loving nerds we call brothers.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I never played WaW Zombies, so this was my first Zombie experience on CoD and I gotta say, I don't get it. I mean, its kinda like Horde mode on Gears, but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe because I didn't fully understand it. There was some lights that when I got close to them it said I needed to power them on? I don't know, guess I'll stick with good ol' TDM.[/QUOTE]

I played this last night and how it works is you have to gain so many points to open the door to the next room, by doing this you need to kill zombies and rebuild your barriers. Also grab the guns on the walls because the gun you start out with sucks. In the next room there is a crate go to to it and you get a random gun for a few mins, I got this badass cannon, it was amazing then it wore out...bummer.

Play with some friends and try it again, I wasn't crazy about it, but it was fun and this was my 1st time trying it too (Zombies)

[quote name='Soodmeg']This. I dont understand why everyone bust a nut for this mode. It is fun with 3 of your friends but I dont really get why people fall all over themselves about it. Although I find it kinda funny that people only do so when Treyarch makes a COD. No one seems to care when IW said it would be in MW2.

Solid mode but I think its vastly over rated by the zombie loving nerds we call brothers.[/QUOTE]

Zerds have feelings too, bro-dad!

It is fun, but it still feels kinda like an afterthought. I'm disappointed there's only two real maps, but the maps look pretty damn huge compared to (only one I've played) the original starter WaW zombie map.

Just unlocked the FAMAS and it feels nicer than the other weapons, I kill people slightly easier than before but occasionally there's that one guy who takes a whole mag and runs away.

[quote name='Anythingoo1']Can Someone tell me what the age rating on the game is? I haven't been able to check if it's a 16 or 18 online, well I'm presuming it's 18, but I want to be sure :p[/QUOTE]

There's really no specific age, just rated M:

Rating summary: This is a first-person shooter in which players control a U.S. soldier who works for the C.I.A. and participates in both well-known and secret events during the Cold War (e.g., skirmishes, stealth espionage, assassinations, and interrogations involving torture). Players use a wide variety of weapons such as pistols, rifles, machine guns, and explosives to injure/kill enemies. Combat can generate pools of blood and dismembered limbs. Players can use enemy bodies as human shields and execute them at close range. In one sequence, broken glass is placed into the mouth of a man while he is repeatedly punched, causing blood to spill from his mouth. Language such as "f**k," "b*tch," and "sh*t" can be heard in the dialogue.

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=29949

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=29949&searchkeyword=call of duty black ops

Man you guys are missing out. I hate zombies, and everyones infatuation with them in general but can't get enough of Nazi zombies.

First you must have at least 3 people if not 4, otherwise you won't last long and it's not as fun. Teamwork is ESSENTIAL.

As irratebass said, it's all about earning points to open up the next area. There is a weapon box where you can buy a random weapon. There are some kick ass weapons in the box that you'll never find on the walls. After you "pull" from the box so many times it disappears and reappears elsewhere on the map. You have to track it down to keep getting the good shit. Most of the time the room where the box spawns has a trap you can turn on to help defend the area. Those traps need electricity to work, which means you have to open a certain area to get to the breaker box.

Second, there are also colas that add to your play. Stuff that makes you reload faster, revive others quicker, and makes you stronger(so you can take more hits before dying). These vending machines are spread out and the cola is expensive so you have to play smart when spending money to open doors and what guns/colas to buy. You also lose your cola if you go down.

Third, in the final map released for WaW there was a weapon "jukebox" that you could upgrade any weapon you are carrying to give it additional bonuses like damage, fire rate, max clip size, etc. I'm not sure if this made a return to Black Ops, as I haven't seen it on the first map.

The mode is pretty complex and the maps are pretty well designed, so if you aren't surviving long enough to open multiple rooms, power things on, find the weapon box, etc. you aren't really getting a true feel for the game.

My group of friends play to see how many waves we make it, as going for score isn't really suited for teamwork. The best we did last night was Wave 9. By comparison, in WaW we were going for 35-45 waves. The higher the wave, the greater number of zombies and the stronger they are, so once you get to around 20 things start getting really tough.

Long post summed up short, don't give up based on an early impression, it's a pretty deep and involved mode that really shines with 4 players.

Thanks for the recap on how it works...it doesn't sound too bad. I may give it another shot later to see what's up.

Also what's with the Teddy Bear. The match I was playing last night people couldn't stop talking about a Teddy Bear that you get from one of those magical boxes.

When you are pulling weapons from the box, eventually someone will pull a teddy bear, which means the box will disappear at that point and move somewhere else. The teddy serves no purpose to the player or gameplay at all.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']The SCAR was overrated unless you had Extended Mags, Scavenger and knew how to burst fire. Pray and sprayers couldn't hit anything at long range and ran out of ammo very quickly.[/QUOTE]

Can spray and prayers hit anything at long range? The Scar was fantastic.

[quote name='Aceboogz']I think we can all agree this is one of the best games of all time![/QUOTE]

t1ostrich_funny_face.jpg

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']The SCAR was overrated unless you had Extended Mags, Scavenger and knew how to burst fire. Pray and sprayers couldn't hit anything at long range and ran out of ammo very quickly.[/QUOTE]

I typically rocked the scavenger with the SCAR. IDK what SCAR you were using, but you didn't really need to burst unless it was a pretty long distance.

Yea, I was a fan of the scar as well. I have got up to like level 22 or so and the famas is still my fav. It's really kinda like a cqb weapon due to the high rate of fire. I can't wait to get the aug next.

bread's done
Back