Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 to get "Elite" Monthly Subscription Fee

I won't even care if Elite subscribers get something like free map packs or extra CoD points (if they bring them back). As long as no advantages are given like different weapons or perks, I'm fine with this.

My prediction? MS will announce XBL Platinum at E3 featuring cloud services, free zune pass and 6mo/year of Elite.

I was leaning toward skipping this anyway as I'm pretty sick of CoD anyway, the subscription thing makes that decision much easier. Definitely skipping it.

[quote name='Poor2More']Congrats to EA & Battlefield 3, you will sell a shit load this holiday season[/QUOTE]

yeah, i'm waiting for battlefield 3. even the hardcore COD guys i know are getting bored with the franchise and this will put a nail in the coffin.

Definitely leaning towards no, but I can be strayed. I've paid $30/month for two WoW accounts, $30/mo for 2 SWG accounts, and I pay for Netflix, Hulu Plus, and other services. So, in essence, if the cost mirrors the benefit and entertainment level ... I'd consider paying.

if i can play online for free, why pay just for stats and the rest. i could care less. but battlefield 3 FTW this year.

The CoD series is totally overdone for me at this point. I guess I'm suffering from CoD fatigue with the constant year-after-year releases. I doubt I'll buy the next game let alone sign up for a subscription fee. Activision is totally Guitar Hero-ing CoD.

I'm basing my opinion on absolutely no factual evidence, but I think the average COD player won't care for most of these services Elite has to offer. I also think that MW3 will still blow up the sales chart. People will say they won't buy MW3 now, but the closer we get to release date, Activision will get people hyped on it.

Sweet. Later today I'll have to fire up BF:BC2 to polish my battlefield skills. I can now fully dump any accumulated COD knowledge. Bravo Activision, keep winning.

[quote name='Sgt Barone']You DON'T need to buy it everyone, it's optional.[/QUOTE]

There in lies the problem.

This all started with DLC. At first DLC came out and people would buy a 60 dollar game and then pay more for mostly inferior small segments of the game which is fine in theory. So that 60 dollar game would become a 65-70 dollar game. Then devs took it up a notch and started releasing DLC and leaving out content to begin selling immediately after a games launch in multiple packs turning that 60 dollar game into a 75-80 dollar game. Then devs started leaving cliffhangers at the end of the game to sell DLC which would supposedly tell you what happens and thus making your 60 dollar game 80+ dollars just to get the whole story ala alan wake. Then they started putting content on disc to charge you more for later to unlock. Then they would take their game that sells for 20 bucks, repackage it with 25 dollars worth of DLC and re-sell it to you for 60 dollars.

Activision is now evolving this concept of "Pay full price for your game and then pay more to get what others include for nothing in their games". They are just slowly taking things others include in their games to sell you for extra.

The more people buy into the whole DLC thing and the more people buy into paying for little stuff like stat tracking in this game the worse it will get. Thats how these things always start, very small. At first its just a little here and a little there and it doesnt seem so bad, but once things get going the people in charge will run with it and the customer will end up getting screwed in the end because we let them screw us.

If this one little thing takes off with activision and they make a lot of money with it, mark my words, in a years time there will be 2 or 3 other big games doing the same thing and after that it will spread. All it will take is this game to rake in big cash doing this and everyone else will do the same thing to do as big of a money grab as they can and before you know it we will have to pay for all kinds extras that we never had to before.

I mean people bitch about a game being 60 dollars already, but they dont even realize they are paying for more because devs carve off little bits and sell them seperate for low amounts and it doesnt hurt as bad because the gamer is thinking "Hey thats only like 8 bucks, thats cheap!" Yeah its cheap but you just paid 68 dollars for the game, would you have bought the game brand new when it came out for 68 bucks? I doubt it. Game devs are just doing stuff like this to make you pay a lot more for your games than you normally would by removing the intial sticker shock.

Despite gamers rose colored glasses view on gaming to developers its all about money and nothing else. They may like making games yes, but the bottom line is cash and if they didnt make any they wouldnt be doing this. Gaming is a big business and in any big business the first and last thing important to them is profit, by any means necessary. To think otherwise is ignorance. So if this catches on expect to see it across a lot of big games and then trickling down to smaller games.

[quote name='Sway']I'm basing my opinion on absolutely no factual evidence, but I think the average COD player won't care for most of these services Elite has to offer. I also think that MW3 will still blow up the sales chart. People will say they won't buy MW3 now, but the closer we get to release date, Activision will get people hyped on it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Make a list of gamertags and PSN IDs from this thread, so we can see how many people end up buying it.

[quote name='Trakan']https://twitter.com/#!/kobunheat/sta...85999865294848

https://twitter.com/#!/jasonschreier...82019403694080

https://twitter.com/#!/chrisgrant/st...79792878374912[/QUOTE]

The Wall Street Journal didn't brake an embargo. Stupid game journalist newbs.
The WSJ serves a very specific clientele. So Activision let them release the article the day the stock market was open.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/activision-shares-up-on-call-of-duty-initiative-2011-05-31?siteid=yhoof

*cha-ching* *cha-ching*

lol this is CAG did you expect any different? I'm sure as hell never paying a monthly subscription to play ANY game let alone CoD where it's for silly features which should be free.

[quote name='KingBroly']This is a 100% Hell fucking NO from me

I won't even buy the game because of it.[/QUOTE]

Judging by your gamercard, you haven't played a CoD since 4 came out.

I love how Activison gives me reasons not to buy their shit. If I get MW3 it will be on the cheap.

[quote name='xGunCrazyx']This is bad news. This means CoD noobs will flock to BF3 now...
Hopefully these idiots will just pay the $7.99, there is nothing worse than playing BC2 and losing because all the CoD folks don't know what objectives are :cry:[/QUOTE]

tell me about it.. make COD free and keep BF3 well protected

[quote name='seanr1221']Judging by your gamercard, you haven't played a CoD since 4 came out.[/QUOTE]

I'm in that same boat, I wasn't willing to touch MW2 after the Infinity Ward blowup, and I had no interest in COD BLOPs. And if this is where Activision thinks the series should go then I don't think they will ever get my interest back.

[quote name='seanr1221']Agreed. Make a list of gamertags and PSN IDs from this thread, so we can see how many people end up buying it.[/QUOTE]

Feel free to add my name, I can assure you I wouldn't get this game until maybe it is $10 used (if they're lucky); still waiting on MW2 to reach that level and I'm very patient.

and if it gives people an advantage or takes away any normal functionality, I will definitely not buy the game, I will rent it on gamefly beat the single player, play a few hours of the stripped down version and buy which ever fps that is not doing this type of program, I already play tons of halo so I will probably just stick with that, halo's game play is already way more dynamic anyway and it is all free

[quote name='xGunCrazyx']This is bad news. This means CoD noobs will flock to BF3 now...
Hopefully these idiots will just pay the $7.99, there is nothing worse than playing BC2 and losing because all the CoD folks don't know what objectives are :cry:[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I can see this happening, even though COD will still sell gangbusters, there are alot more people now who think its "cool" to hate COD, and they're toting BF3 as "better than MW3" even though they've only played MW1,2 WaW, Blops and MAYBE BC2.

[quote name='Jrittmayer']Unfortunately I can see this happening, even though COD will still sell gangbusters, there are alot more people now who think its "cool" to hate COD, and they're toting BF3 as "better than MW3" even though they've only played MW1,2 WaW, Blops and MAYBE BC2.[/QUOTE]

It already happened with BC2 when all the CoD idiots were waiting for Black Ops. Our squad would either lose matches (with us being at top) because nobody was doing the objective or we would just roll over an entire team of 16 people in our squad and win a match because the other team wasn't doing anything.

It got better after a few months and when BO finally came out, most of this started to disappear. Luckily BF3 and MW3 will be coming out near the same time, so hopefully the CoD noobs will stick to their shitty game.

I love COD games, I play them every year and I'm still playing black ops online. I'm even about 4th perstiege but I wouldnt pay for such a service.

lmao at the one guy who voted "Definitely Yes"

I signed up for the Elite Beta, I'm not gonna say no to a free chance to try it out. I was 10x the Halo fan when Bungie came out with Bungie Pro and I never signed up for that so the chances of me signing up for Elite are about absolute 0.

Literally the only way they could get me to sign up was if the price was structured in a way that I came out even with the map packs and content they were giving away through Elite versus having the regular non-Elite member pricing for those same packs., aka if its $60/year ($5/month) and I get $60 worth of content, say 2 $15 map packs and $15 worth of some other shit, I'd consider it. But I know that will never, ever happen which is why I can make such a claim.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']lmao at the one guy who voted "Definitely Yes"

I signed up for the Elite Beta, I'm not gonna say no to a free chance to try it out. I was 10x the Halo fan when Bungie came out with Bungie Pro and I never signed up for that so the chances of me signing up for Elite are about absolute 0.

Literally the only way they could get me to sign up was if the price was structured in a way that I came out even with the map packs and content they were giving away through Elite versus having the regular non-Elite member pricing for those same packs., aka if its $60/year ($5/month) and I get $60 worth of content, say 2 $15 map packs and $15 worth of some other shit, I'd consider it. But I know that will never, ever happen which is why I can make such a claim.[/QUOTE]

Good point about the map packs

I like 98% say leaning or def no ;)
I like my BF3, which hopefully will be like BF2 and give extra maps for free every month...although they were just diff modes on old maps or whatever but still!

[quote name='Velo214']although they were just diff modes on old maps or whatever but still![/QUOTE]
hell, activision would still charge $15 if they just put old maps in the latest CoD without any effort in updating them

[quote name='timesplitt']hell, activision would still charge $15 if they just put old maps in the latest CoD without any effort in updating them[/QUOTE]

They already did this with MW2 DLC

While I see the monthly subscription is off-putting and OPTIONAL, I don't understand why people freak the fuck out and have to choose sides. Just buy it or don't. I'm looking forward to what the fast-paced multiplayer action the Modern Warfare series usually offers that most other console FPS games don't have. I'll probably try out the beta. If it doesn't offer something unique and worth it to me, then I won't buy into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MusicNoteLess']While I see the monthly subscription is off-putting and OPTIONAL, I don't understand why people freak the fuck out and have to choose sides. Just buy it or don't. I'm looking forward to what the fast-paced multiplayer action the Modern Warfare series usually offers that most other console FPS games don't. I'll probably try out the beta. If it doesn't offer something unique and worth it to me, then I won't buy into it.[/QUOTE]

Um, isn't that precisely choosing sides? I think you're a tool for playing what is probably the worst and most repetitive/rehashed series ever. Nothing changes so how can you expect something unique? It's barely a step up from that miserable Madden series which also has the nerve to charge full price for the same content each year.

I've never played CoD and don't intend to change that unless a free copy happens to land at my door. I'll definitely never pay extra for it, the same way I refuse online scams like Live. $60 for a game and MORE just to play online? Screw that and anyone who falls for it...

[quote name='CAG Trader']Um, isn't that precisely choosing sides? I think you're a tool for playing what is probably the worst and most repetitive/rehashed series ever. Nothing changes so how can you expect something unique? It's barely a step up from that miserable Madden series which also has the nerve to charge full price for the same content each year.

I've never played CoD and don't intend to change that unless a free copy happens to land at my door. I'll definitely never pay extra for it, the same way I refuse online scams like Live. $60 for a game and MORE just to play online? Screw that and anyone who falls for it...[/QUOTE]

So you're basing your hate for Call of Duty over hearsay than rather actually trying to play it? Ok.

I was referring to people in thread saying they're switching over to BF3 solely because of the subscription. I doubt the gameplay will be affected due to pricing or the sub itself. Like I said before, buy it or don't. I've enjoyed COD way more than Battlefield and other comparable FPS games, and this is off of personal experience. Don't hate a game because it's cool to hate on it. Hate it because you actually have your own opinion about it. Tool.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CAG Trader']Um, isn't that precisely choosing sides? I think you're a tool for playing what is probably the worst and most repetitive/rehashed series ever. Nothing changes so how can you expect something unique? It's barely a step up from that miserable Madden series which also has the nerve to charge full price for the same content each year.

I've never played CoD and don't intend to change that unless a free copy happens to land at my door. I'll definitely never pay extra for it, the same way I refuse online scams like Live. $60 for a game and MORE just to play online? Screw that and anyone who falls for it...[/QUOTE]

I fuckin love when people who have no basis or foundation for their opinion post their opinions anyways.

If you don't pay for ANY online functionality in ANY portion of your gaming, what in the hell possessed you to even open this damn thread?

Gotta love the name calling too.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']
If you don't pay for ANY online functionality in ANY portion of your gaming, what in the hell possessed you to even open this damn thread?
[/QUOTE]

Well, he could just game online on on the PS3 and PC where there's no X-box live like fee and plenty of games with free online play. Plenty of people play online without paying anything to do so beyond the purchase cost of the games they play.

But yeah, I hate when people knock games they've never played. :roll: And I say that as someone who thinks CoD has gotten very stale, but I say that as someone who at least played a decent amount of CoD4, MW2 and Blops (skipped World at War after playing the beta).

[quote name='MusicNoteLess']So you're basing your hate for Call of Duty over hearsay than rather actually trying to play it? Ok.

I was referring to people in thread saying they're switching over to BF3 solely because of the subscription. I doubt the gameplay will be affected due to pricing or the sub itself. Like I said before, buy it or don't. I've enjoyed the COD way more than Battlefield and other comparable FPS games, and this is off of personal experience. Don't hate a game because it's cool to hate on it. Hate it because you actually have your own opinion about it. Tool.[/QUOTE]

I don't need to play it. I know console shooters are unskilled versions of PC FPS's thanks to dev's trying to compensate for poor analog controls. (They should just allow M/KB support already. I use an FnS which does well enough for now.) The problem with this particular one is Activision is one of those companies like the old EA that does NOT attempt to update their products. Just slap a new number on an old product and change the sticker back to $60. Lack of innovation should not be rewarded so I won't be buying it to try in the first place.

Yes, let them. Anything to cripple the hype train this miserable series has gained. That's all it is, hype. And the kids who frequent the game aren't bright enough to realize it. Why is this a problem? It drags down the gaming market in various ways. Subscriptions being next in a line of bad ideas.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I fuckin love when people who have no basis or foundation for their opinion post their opinions anyways.

If you don't pay for ANY online functionality in ANY portion of your gaming, what in the hell possessed you to even open this damn thread? [/QUOTE]

And your point is? My opinion is that of an experienced gamer/collector who is disappointed in the mistakes companies are making, and saddened by the lack of intelligence from the younger gamers who just don't understand that things haven't gotten better over the years.

Remaining quiet is the worst thing we can do. Nobody spoke up when Sony started cutting features from the PS3. I told everyone if we didn't say something it was going to get worse. Well, Sony didn't meet enough criticism and thought they could remove even more. Surely you know the rest of the tale. By accepting this crap more devs may be inclined to try it, which would not be a good idea. Maybe you've heard of DRM which is another good example here. Hopefully that clears things up. This needs to fail not only because it's Act, but because we care about the future of gaming.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Well, he could just game online on on the PS3 and PC where there's no X-box live like fee and plenty of games with free online play. Plenty of people play online without paying anything to do so beyond the purchase cost of the games they play.

But yeah, I hate when people knock games they've never played. :roll: And I say that as someone who thinks CoD has gotten very stale, but I say that as someone who at least played a decent amount of CoD4, MW2 and Blops (skipped World at War after playing the beta).[/QUOTE]

I've never paid. Started on PC's and stayed with the free systems. They worked fine so what sense is there in paying? MMO's aren't my thing either. The price is included in the cost of the game and individual servers are run by users (mostly).

Well there's gotta be reasons we've never played it ya know? Sometimes you don't 'need' to try things to know about them. I saw what Act did with the GH franchise and can tell from the rest of their pathetic lineup that they've no interest in innovation. The advantage is knowing I didn't contribute to this crap.

I love all of the hate in this thread.

I'll be buying MW3 but I probably won't pay for elite. Like another poster said, if it comes with the right abound of stuff like maps and whatnot, then it might be worthwhile.

[quote name='MusicNoteLess']While I see the monthly subscription is off-putting and OPTIONAL, I don't understand why people freak the fuck out and have to choose sides. Just buy it or don't. I'm looking forward to what the fast-paced multiplayer action the Modern Warfare series usually offers that most other console FPS games don't have. I'll probably try out the beta. If it doesn't offer something unique and worth it to me, then I won't buy into it.[/QUOTE]

Activision is making the sides. You'll have your elite havers and your elite have nots.

Mark my words, this is the first step to them charging you for multiplayer.

They could probably get away with charging per month, or better yet Activision-MS could make a deal where It's free for Live subscribers but Playstation users have to pay a dollar a month... lol

Honestly if they charge $15 every 3 months they will get away with it. Why? They already do with map packs, I bought both map packs because all my co-workers did (and regret buying both, but I still did it).

blizzard sucks now. making u pay to play everything. ever since they merged with activision, they can loose money

[quote name='IPlay4Fun']blizzard sucks now. making u pay to play everything. ever since they merged with activision, they can loose money[/QUOTE]

You mean pay-to-play WoW (Like every good MMO ever), since Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 multiplayer is free, right?

Can't say I'm surprised since they've been hinting at this for a while now. I'd feel sorry for anyone who finds value in paying $8/mo. for stats, let alone another Call of Duties: Modern Walletfare. EA must be squirming in their chair with excitement over this one lol.

That's a good article. It wouldn't have been necessary if they hadn't been a little more explicit about what was free and what was paid up front.

bread's done
Back