Call of Duty: MW3 (Wii) $29 at Amazon

I can only imagine the number of people that read the title hopefully...until they see the Wii part.
Should've waited and dropped the bomb in the first message, would've been far more amusing

other than shutting little kids up about buying MW3, i have no idea why companies bother releasing games like these for the Wii. Better question, why people would buy these instead of the PS3/Xbox versions.

*sigh* Oh well.

It actually controls pretty good on the Wii--about what a PS3 move FPS title feels like. The Wii game engine is fine--no its not high-def, doesn't have the lighting effects the PS3 and 360 have, but the Wii handles what is thrown at it pretty well--it looks better than a PS2, Gamecube, or XBox, and frankly, late gen XBox shooters looked pretty decent.

I do most of my FPS playing on a Wii and PC: Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2, Nexuiz, Enemy Territory, flavors of Quake, Unreal, and PC releases of Halo, COD, GoldenEye, TimeSplitters 2&3 on PS2 and GC. I own a couple of CODs on the Wii (World at War and MW1) that I picked up on clearance at TRU that I have put some time into. I have played enough of MW3 and Black Ops to know that I will be buying one for myself when they get cheaper.

COD Wii controls are better than Metroid 3 and Conduit 2--they are actually pretty tight. The core Wii COD engine was custom developed by Treyarch themselves, and it feels good. At first I hated using the Wiimote, but as I got used to it, I found it to be far more precise than a gamepad. Move in line with a PC mouse and keyboard set-up. I have been playing COD online since PS2's Finest Hour (Finest Hour, Big Red One, and COD3), and I played both Medal of Honors before that on the PS1 and a shit-ton of Allied Assault online on the PC, so I have played a few FPS games in my time.

Activision abandoned the Friend Code system with World at War--its still in there, but its not needed. Both Black Ops and MW3 have headset support--they just don't have DL content. The have in game skill-tree building and weapon upgrades, just like the PS3 and 360 versions. The levels and maps are the same except for the lack of DL content.

Why would anyone buy it? Because they don't have a 360 or a PS3--there are still a lot of those folks around. Evey time I think I can finally pull together the money to buy an HD console, I have to buy a car, pay for vacation, pay for braces on my kids teeth, pay some big ass bill I didn't expect. With COD on the Wii, the orig Halo CE community still active, and all the rest of the PC stuff (TF2), why would I need to sink money into an HD console? You find that when you've been playing games for 39 years like myself (I'm 46) many of the games all run together as far as feature sets go, especially in the FPS genre--they feel (and mostly play) all the same in the end--so buying the latest console shooter is not so compelling.

One day when I grow up, I'll get a widescreen TV and a PS3 or 360. Until, I'll join the rest of the Wii idiots and enjoy the hell out of COD with my Wiimote.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had cod4 on the Wii, and it was amazing considering the hardware. Excellent controls and perfect online. Other than lack of voice chat in that version, it was just as fun as the xbox version.

bread's done
Back