Camcorder deals?

WatTsu

CAGiversary!
So I may be in the market for a camcorder soon, what with a baby niece whose every movement needs chronicling and some projects I'd like to do with my podcast. So I turn to you, noble CAGs, for help.

Here's what I'm looking for:

- Relatively cheap. Something like $200-$300.
- Mac-friendly. I want to be able to plug this thing into my Macbook Pro and drop the video right into Final Cut for editing. So a 'corder with Firewire is a plus, but if you know of one that doesn't have Firewire and works just fine with the Mac I'm open to that too.
- Recording media doesn't matter. I'm not adverse to mini-DVs, I use them all the time at work. I wouldn't mind flash or HDD either, but those would get pricier.
- Good picture and sound quality. I'm not shooting a real honest-to-goodness movie, but I'd like some good source material to work with.
- Durable. Just in case.
- Online or B&M doesn't matter, nor does the retailer. I don't generally shop at Wal-Mart but I will if that's where the best deal is. And since I'm going to be using my tax return to buy it, I'm not in a hurry or anything.

So what do you folks know?

Edit: Here's one I found on the Apple website. If I did get this one, I wouldn't get it through there, but what does everyone think of it? Or should I look at another one?

I have a used Mini-DV camcorder that is EXCELLENT for recording and very durable too. I originally paid $1200 for it, but that was back in 2000-2001. The recording and playback and everything works perfectly but the firewire out no longer works (it probably could be fixed really easily, I just don't have the know-how). I have all sorts of accessories for it as well including special lenses that have never been used as well.

Let me know if you're interested. I could send you some pictures and/or video of the camcorder. I could definitely give you a good deal :)

PS: Something's very wrong with that $1.00 camcorder. I wouldn't go for that ^_^

I saw this one on ecost.com (credit goes to bensbargains) for only $129 plus shipping:

http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=34232184&source=k9470

It's a refurb, but the price is right and it has firewire according to the specs (double check on this). The same model sells on Amazon.com brand new for $499 and received a 4 out of 5 star too.

• 1/6-inch 680k pixel CCD (Number of effective pixels: 340k pixels for moving pictures)
  • F2.0 - 4.5
  • 32x Optical Zoom/800x Digital Zoom
  • 520 Lines of Resolution
  • 2.5" LCD
  • Color Viewfinder
  • DV In/Out
  • Powerful Optical Zoom (32x)
  • Clear LCD Monitor for a clear, visible, bright view during outdoor shooting
  • Data Battery allows the user to check remaining battery and recording time by simply touching one
  • button even with the power turned off
  • NightAlive for a bright picture even in environments with minimal illumination
  • Power-Linked Operation
  • Multi-Language On-Screen (4-language)
  • AUTO Button — Switch to AUTO Mode with a touch of a button
As always, check out other review sources before you make a purchase. G'luck in finding the right camcorder! :)

bread's done
Back