Can a dead SNES cart be fixed?

CGH

CAGiversary!
Feedback
185 (100%)
I took advantage of the 50% off classic games sale on www.MusicRecyclery.com to purchase SNES Kirby's Dream Land 3 I received the game today but it does not work at all. I tried dipping some Q-tips in rubbing alcohol then cleaning the contacts the cart still does not work. I wanted to play this game and from what I understand it is a rare game I would prefer not to send it back.

Did you clean the contacts until the Q-tips came away pretty much clean? If so and it still won't work it's dead AFAIK. At least I don't know anything else to try.

Man, I gues stime is no only thing that can mess a cart up. Me and my bro tried to destroy an SNES game in the early nineties by soaking it in alcohol and making it short circuit (not at the same time though) and that thing kept on working.

This may seem dumb but maybe its the SNES? Maybe the pin thing on the SNES is dirty as hell and in need of cleaning?

It can be fixed no matter what - just some types of fixes require more work than others. You can turn carts into dev carts using EPROMs and EPROM burners if worst comes to worst...

[quote name='wubb']Did you clean the contacts until the Q-tips came away pretty much clean? If so and it still won't work it's dead AFAIK. At least I don't know anything else to try.[/QUOTE]

Yes I did that.

[quote name='SMMM']Are the contacts tinted a slight green?[/QUOTE]

No.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']This may seem dumb but maybe its the SNES? Maybe the pin thing on the SNES is dirty as hell and in need of cleaning?[/QUOTE]

I have a large collection SNES games I tried Super Mario RPG and Yoshi's Island and they all worked fine. I took a flashlight and took a closer look at the contacts and compared them to my other carts some of the contacts on Kirby's Dream Land 3 seem to be broken off a little. The copper parts some seem to be broken in half others seem to be missing the tops. The contacts on my other carts are complete. Could this be the problem?

[quote name='CGH']I have a large collection SNES games I tried Super Mario RPG and Yoshi's Island and they all worked fine. I took a flashlight and took a closer look at the contacts and compared them to my other carts some of the contacts on Kirby's Dream Land 3 seem to be broken off a little. The copper parts some seem to be broken in half others seem to be missing the tops. The contacts on my other carts are complete. Could this be the problem?[/QUOTE]

It's possible, but I've gotten carts missing half their contacts to run before.

Find another SNES to try the cart in- more than one, if possible.

My sister briefly owned an SNES that didn't run Super Mario World, but did play a Madden game she had. She exchanged the cart, but it still didn't work. She took the system and both carts back to Gamestop, where they messed around with things- turns out this particular SNES would not play any copy of Super Mario World. The Marios worked in other systems, any other game played in the SNES... but put in Mario World and you get nothing. (She exchanged the system.)

So, maybe your system's just being weird.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']It's possible, but I've gotten carts missing half their contacts to run before.

Find another SNES to try the cart in- more than one, if possible.

My sister briefly owned an SNES that didn't run Super Mario World, but did play a Madden game she had. She exchanged the cart, but it still didn't work. She took the system and both carts back to Gamestop, where they messed around with things- turns out this particular SNES would not play any copy of Super Mario World. The Marios worked in other systems, any other game played in the SNES... but put in Mario World and you get nothing. (She exchanged the system.)

So, maybe your system's just being weird.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice. I cannot try it I do not own another SNES or know anyone else that owns a SNES but I will hold on to the game I will not return it.

bread's done
Back