Can an XBOX (the big black one) be connected to a computer monitor?

whuzizname

CAGiversary!
I may be moving into a smaller place, so I will need to conserve space. I'm thinking that I could dump my TV (since I never watch TV anyways) if there was a way to connect the XBOX to my computer's monitor.

I currently have a CRT monotor. Can an XBOX be connected to a CRT monitor? Is there an adapter or something that would accomplish this connection?

Can it be connected to an LCD monitor? If so, I would need to buy one, but are LCD's good for gaming? From what I've seen, their colors don't seem as vivid as those of a CRT and they tend to ghost a lot during fast action.

Thanks!

[quote name='Xevious']Can this item be bought at a store?[/QUOTE]
Only online. It works great though. I use to have one.

Teamxbox compares the x2vga and the 'enhanced' vd-z3 on page 2 of their review of the latter.

http://hardware.teamxbox.com/articles/xbox/934/VDigi-Electronics-Enhanced-VDZ3-Review/p2/

I don't personally own the x2vga so I can't say anything for or against it but the vd-z3 gets the job done and then some. Furthermore, it can be used with a ps2 (you have to buy the component cables since it only comes with xbox component cables) and a gamecube - both of which I have and use with the thing with outstanding results.

If you don't mind me asking a very stupid question, does this produce a better picture quality, than, lets say, an 89 Toshiba TV

Everyone in this thread is 100% correct.

Vdigi VD-Z3 and the X2VGA are the two solutions you want. I've always considered them equal in terms of quality, but the one from Vdigi lets you use any source with component cables that supports at least 480p, not just the Xbox, and that made it a much better value. Now, it seems that the Vdigi also has a better picture. Thats the one to go with.

You can't find these in stores (if you find a VGA adapter in a store, it'll be a crappy one), but both sites are very reputable. I own one, and I'd recommend it to anyone. The 360 has its own VGA adapter for $40, but you can always use this one as a spare, or to watch HDTV on your monitor through an HDTV box from your cable company, or on a progressive scan DVD player, or on a PS2, Gamecube, or a next gen console. You can use this on the 360 as well, and it'll work fine, even though it has its own.

These both give you actual HDTV resolutions on your monitor... Your regular old TV can't do that. My 84 RCA sure can't.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Holy shit this is like super cheap HDTV. The Vdigi works with any input source, right? Including the Xbox 360?[/QUOTE]
Any source that uses component cables, and that can do at least 480p. It won't support 480i. 480p, 720p, and 1080i are all ok. I've used mine on HDTV cable boxes, progressive scan DVD players, Xbox, PS2, Gamecube...

[quote name='whuzizname']

Can it be connected to an LCD monitor? If so, I would need to buy one, but are LCD's good for gaming? From what I've seen, their colors don't seem as vivid as those of a CRT and they tend to ghost a lot during fast action.

[/QUOTE]

I've run my VDIGI on a Viewsonic LCD (4ms response time, so ghosting isn't much of an issue), and the thing I'd caution you on if you do upgrade to an LCD in the future is: Watch out for the Native Resolution. Since mine is something like 1280x1024, games have to be scaled up and appear somewhat grainy and colors a little more washed out than they would be at lower resolutions.

That said, I'm still happy with the VDIGI, and totally recommend it regardless of monitor type.

The vdigi just has three ports on it... those are all for the image right? How do you get the audio out?

[quote name='Kayden']The vdigi just has three ports on it... those are all for the image right? How do you get the audio out?[/QUOTE]

You have to run the audio separately to their own speakers or through the PC using some form of a stereo Y cable.

[quote name='WildWop']You have to run the audio separately to their own speakers or through the PC using some form of a stereo Y cable.[/QUOTE]

I gathered as much. Is that the digital audio port that I could never find a use for?

I don't have a cable for that, nor anything to plug it into. Does it convert to the composite plugs? (red and white ones) Those are really all I have for audio INs...

[quote name='Kayden']I gathered as much. Is that the digital audio port that I could never find a use for?

I don't have a cable for that, nor anything to plug it into. Does it convert to the composite plugs? (red and white ones) Those are really all I have for audio INs...[/QUOTE]
You can either use the MS HD AV pack's audio, or the included cable's red and white audio connectors.

[quote name='dafoomie']You can either use the MS HD AV pack's audio, or the included cable's red and white audio connectors.[/QUOTE]

Er... what about hooking it up to the PS2 or GC? (I'm talking about the vdigi)

[quote name='Kayden']Er... what about hooking it up to the PS2 or GC? (I'm talking about the vdigi)[/QUOTE]

With the Gamecube, you'll have to hook up the regular composite cable set in parallel with the component cables. The composite will be used for audio, come down to a stereo-Y-adaptor and into your "Line In" phono port in the back of your sound card.

[quote name='Kayden']Er... what about hooking it up to the PS2 or GC? (I'm talking about the vdigi)[/QUOTE]
You'll need to use the component cables you have for the PS2 and GC, those have audio connectors on them. The Vdigi unit doesn't include those, you'll need to get them yourself.

OOoOoOOoooOOooooo... I see said the blind man. I feel less dumb now.

This is definitely something I need to keep in mind, however, since I'm building a new PC, I cant really swing 70 bills for the adapter.

Well, according to that TeamXbox review, the Vdigi does support 480i, at least now, and the newer version also includes stereo audio jacks.

So if a TV/Projector/Monitor has both VGA and Component inputs, and can display all the various HD signals, is it better to use the VGA connection?

I have decided that I want to purchase the VD-Z3, but am wondering if I will be able to use it on my machine. I am not as tech savvy as others, but anyway, I own a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop with a 1440 x 900 widescreen lcd. As far as ports go, there is one RGB port, and one DVI port, which are both located on the back of the unit along with S-Video input. I plan on connecting my xbox via component cable to the VD-Z3 adapter, but am wondering what port is needed on the computer/monitor. I understand that this may be seen as a stupid question, but will I be able to play HD capable xbox games on my lcd screen using only what comes with the VD-Z3?

Laptops generally do not have video IN, only video OUT, so it's unlikely that you'll be able to use the VDIGI with it.

[quote name='WildWop']Laptops generally do not have video IN, only video OUT, so it's unlikely that you'll be able to use the VDIGI with it.[/QUOTE]

Ok, thanks for the response.

From what I understand, running the Xbox through one of these won't allow you to watch DVDs through a monitor? Is that so?
If so, what is the best VGA box to use that works with DVD playback on the Xbox?

bread's done
Back