Can Anybody Tell Me Why This Stereo Won't Fit In My Car?

n8rockerasu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
52 (100%)
All right, some quick backstory, I've been trying to install a new stereo in my wife's 2001 Hyundai Accent GL as a Mother's Day present, and although I've had multiple sources confirm that the stereo was a match for the car and would fit since it's "single DIN" (it's a Boss BV7320), I'm running into a problem when trying to close up the dash fascia.

I have a mounting kit, which I took off the previous stereo (a Pioneer DEH-P3300), but I wasn't able to use the front piece of it because the Boss's faceplate is too big and won't fit inside it.

2012-05-05184652.jpg

And here's a picture of the two faceplates side by side. It's pretty apparent how much bigger the Boss faceplate is than the old Pioneer one.

2012-05-05184723.jpg

So, I tried just using the side pieces, and mounting it to my dash...which worked. I was able to mount the unit itself inside the dash, and everything seemed to be going ok. But when I put the fascia back into place, the stereo faceplate is unable to close...again because it seems to be too big. I've tried adjusting the mounting position...even considering mounting it "sticking out" of the dash (but the head unit itself won't fit through the fascia opening) and "too deep" (but the faceplate is still blocked by the roundedness of the fascia), and I'm just getting nowhere.

(short video illustrating this)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDfOoGxcFDM

Everyone I've talked to (even a Crutchfield rep) has told me that all Single DIN stereos fit the same. So, I just can't process what I could be doing wrong. I've Googled this issue and have come up with nothing. The only thing I can surmise is that this thing just needs a wide open dash to fit properly...even in a single DIN setting.

I took one last picture to show the faceplate actually sitting ABOVE the unit when it's in the closed position. I don't understand how that could possibly work with any kind of dash trim surrounding it. The unit actually came with a trim piece itself...I guess to make the front and faceplate line up and look nice, but obviously, I wasn't able to use that either.

2012-05-06171745.jpg

I'm just at a complete loss here. This is the first stereo I've ever installed, but I did my homework, read all about the procedure, watched videos, etc, and I felt pretty good doing it (I was able to put the old stereo back in no problem...so I can't be completely dumb, lol). I just want to make sure it's nothing I'm screwing up. If the unit is just stupid and actually isn't compatible, I can live with that (and will return it). But if I'm an idiot and I'm not doing something right, I'd love somebody to tell me. I really appreciate any advice anyone can offer me. Thanks in advance!

Sorry if I am stating the obvious, but it looks like the faceplate is the issue. The faceplate looks like it is a little taller than your older one. I think that most are 2 inches tall, this one is 2.2". Single din refers to the space that the actual cd player occupies, so even though it fits the car, you may have to find something with a faceplate roughly the same size as your old stereo.

If you can't mount it past the trim to the point of it sticking out, then the stereo is simply too big unless you can drill some holes into the stereo or mounting frame.

And like stenic said, din just accounts for the actual player itself, not the faceplate.

Your not the only one with an install issue. I pulled this from a review on Amazon.

The first stage 'clicks' once you get it in a certain
amount. If you push it in really snug it will click into the two small holes right near the front of the
radio on the sides. I was not able to get it to click into the tighter set of holes and also get the
faceplate and trim frame onto the radio. I had to slide it in the first set of holes which leaves about a 1
to 2mm gap between the radio and the sleeve, which looks a little cheesy from the side if you look closely.
The silver metal sleeve really is noticable in that little gap. I painted my metal sleeve black since it
bothered me.

In my opinion,Your either going to have to leave it hanging out like the reviewer on amazon did or do some trimming to your trim. Or there could possibly be a different install kit that has trim to stay around it if you have to have it partially out of the dash.

Appreciate the responses, guys. If it's really going to come to the point of hacking the dash apart, I'll probably just return it and go for something more basic. It's disappointing because the unit had good reviews and with all those features, it seemed like a great deal. But yeah, aside from getting out a hacksaw, I tried every mounting position I could think of. Each one looked worse than the one before it, and the stereo still wasn't functional.

I guess having a giant ass faceplate is the price of having DVD playback, lol. Oh well. Probably just going to go with a Pioneer DEH-6400BT the next time Amazon or Crutchfield has a good deal on one. That one seems really nice and at least has bluetooth, which my wife would probably find useful. She mainly wanted an AUX and USB port...I was captivated by the other features, haha. Thanks for making me feel better that I didn't screw it up though. At least I'm a pro at ripping the dash apart and putting it back together now, lol.

bread's done
Back