Can anyone answer my AT&T iphone/smartphone upgrades etc?

V4oLDbOY

CAGiversary!
Feedback
93 (100%)
I thought CAG would be the best place to ask this since it pertains to me trying to save some money and also get a new phone.

So here's my situation.

I have a 4 line family plan. I added myself and my gf to my parents plan since my Mom gets an employee discount.

- 2 lines have smartphones (GS2 Skyrockets) (no upgrade)
- 2 lines have standard phones. (full upgrade)

- The 2 smartphone lines have the $15 200mb data plan since we were grandfathered into that.

So with the iphone 5 announcement I have been thinking of changing phones. The skyrocket is just not doing it for me for 6+ months I've had it. its mostly that there are so many apps and games that never make it over to android. Its personal preference, I'm not looking for advise on which phone to get really. I will still wait at least a few weeks after the first shipments hit to be sure I want one before continuing this.

My plan is to sell the two Skyrockets for around $400-425, and then buy new iphone 5's with my parents upgrade. They have no interest in getting a smartphone and such said I could have the upgrade or "whatever it is, I dont care about no iphone, blahh"

My question is about what happens when I get these upgrades.

I know I will have to get a new sim card, or can I have them change the numbers on the sim card? Iphone 5 uses a nano sim so I have no idea what to do about that.

Also what will happen to our existing data plans. Will they carry over since the smartphone lines are not getting a new contract? I would imagine they cant since that contract isn't even half over. I already know from talking to an AT&T rep that you are only charged data for the line that uses the smartphone though.

So that's my plan. Looking on ebay it should be very easy to sell the skyrockets as they go for $230-$280. I'd plan to make them cheaper just to get a quick sale.

Also what is the return policy. If I get the upgrade when the site goes live can I return them to an apple store/AT&T store if they are unopened? I thought you get a 30 return policy on the phones and CONTRACT. Can anyone confirm this is how it work?

I am not an expert, but this was my experience with upgrading so far:

They will take your parent's upgrades, and then switch those phones to your lines. It will extend your parent's contract.

As far as transferring numbers, they should have a machine in their store to be able to transfer the numbers to the new phone.

As for your data plan, they might tell you that you have to upgrade to a higher plan, because 200mbs is really easy to use in a month, especially an iPhone (with FaceTime over cellular). I think the lowest plan is 2GB. Between my GF and I, we've used 500mbs this month and our billing cycle starts on the 1st of each month.

They open the phones before you leave the store to verify ESN and make sure the phones works, so you wouldnt be able to leave the store with an unopened iPhone. As for returning it, I believe it's 30 days with restocking fee.

You should call AT&T CS or your local AT&T store.

[quote name='sasukekun']I am not an expert, but this was my experience with upgrading so far:

They will take your parent's upgrades, and then switch those phones to your lines. It will extend your parent's contract.

As far as transferring numbers, they should have a machine in their store to be able to transfer the numbers to the new phone.

As for your data plan, they might tell you that you have to upgrade to a higher plan, because 200mbs is really easy to use in a month, especially an iPhone (with FaceTime over cellular). I think the lowest plan is 2GB. Between my GF and I, we've used 500mbs this month and our billing cycle starts on the 1st of each month.

They open the phones before you leave the store to verify ESN and make sure the phones works, so you wouldnt be able to leave the store with an unopened iPhone. As for returning it, I believe it's 30 days with restocking fee.

You should call AT&T CS or your local AT&T store.[/QUOTE]

For returning I meant if I preorder it, get the phone shipped then decide I dont want it. This would be before I get the sim changed to our lines. Would I get charged restocking even if the phone was never opened? I would call tomorrow, but I have work in the morning, then class afternoon-night. The preorder goes live 9/14. I think I will try to get their sales department which opens at 6am EST, 3am my time PST. So I'll probably stay up to get on their chat or call.

My understanding is that I wont be forced to upgrade my data plan from the $15. We rarely use it, only for GPS and occasionally looking for restaurants, groupon, checking amazon prices at stores, etc. We've never gone over the 200mb, and I've only gone as close as 170mb. We keep a close watch in it and frankly do not want to give up the $15 plan. If we have to they have a $30 300mb plan at AT&T.

But that's why I'm asking since I honestly do not know the facts and people seem to just blurt random crap on the att forums from searching on it. Their policies are sometimes weird pertaining to the iphone so this is why I want to make sure they wont make me upgrade to a family shared bullshit plan or something.

Glad to know that you can change the sim card in store.

Never actually ordered a phone through their online site, but if you pre-order it and decide you dont want it, they should give you your money back.

I've grandfathered my unlimited data so I dont have to worry about it, but just make sure you keep an eye on the data though. Just checking stuff like what you said adds up overtime.

I think AT&T CS is 24/7, so you can call em now if you really wanted to.

[quote name='sasukekun']Never actually ordered a phone through their online site, but if you pre-order it and decide you dont want it, they should give you your money back.

I've grandfathered my unlimited data so I dont have to worry about it, but just make sure you keep an eye on the data though. Just checking stuff like what you said adds up overtime.

I think AT&T CS is 24/7, so you can call em now if you really wanted to.[/QUOTE]

Their sales dept is only open 3am to midnight, but when I called they said unavailable even though its not technically midnight. edit: nvm that was for chat, for phone its 7am. Guess I'll stay up for chat.

Can I call tech support? Wont they try to transfer me to sales and then realize they're closed?

On our android phones there is a feature where it cuts off all data access once a limit you set is reached. It also over estimates, which is good. So I had it set at 180mb, and it shut my off automatically. But when I check with at&t I only used about 140mb. But I'd rather it overestimate than underestimate.

Anyways I found a thread on apple's site where people said that you are responsible for the contract if you but it through the apple store. So my contract wont be automatically cancelled? So I have to be sure of Apple's return policy and AT&T's policy. I assume it the same for both 30 days.

Unless ATT changed their rules, you can upgrade a standard phone and go to a smartphone plan, then go back to the standard phone plan with no problem. Because you are upgrading your parents phone, you will have to put them on a smartphone data plan, but once you get your new phone you can put them back on their previous plan, but double check with ATT. Your existing data plan will stay the same, it may have to change because I'm not sure if the Skyrocket is LTE, and you would need a 4G data plan.

As far as the sim card goes, their number has to be activated on the nano sim, so you will have to go to ATT to get them a new standard size sim card for their phones, and your number put onto a nano sim. Sim cards are free if you go to a corporate ATT store. If you go to an "Authorized Reseller" they will charge you for them.

And the return policy is 30 days. Apple doesn't charge a restocking fee if you buy it there, ATT will charge you a $35 restocking fee. This is if it's opened.

[quote name='clonesniper666']I am pretty sure that 2GB of data is only $25 or at least that is all I have ever paid for my 2GB data plan.[/QUOTE]

They don't have that plan anymore. Its' $20 for 300mb, $30 for 3GB and $50 for 5GB and Mobile Hotspot.

OK thanks.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=s7BAVlW7aFu

yep their current plans are.
$20 for 300mb
$30 for 3gb
$50 for 5gb

Do you think they will charge my parents line for the first month even if the iphone is never turned on under their number? When I first got my skyrockets there was no data plan for the first two months. I manually added it once they announce they were going from $15 for 200mb to $20 for 300mb and got in on the last day it was available technically.

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']They don't have that plan anymore. Its' $20 for 300mb, $30 for 3GB and $50 for 5GB and Mobile Hotspot.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't really sure since I never needed to look at the plans since I got my iPhone 4 2 years ago.

[quote name='clonesniper666']I wasn't really sure since I never needed to look at the plans since I got my iPhone 4 2 years ago.[/QUOTE]

Exactly I plan to keep my $15 plan as long as I can. Saves me $120 a year with 2 phones.

Also I just realized that BBY will be getting the iphone 5, not sure when, but maybe that would be the better option and use the BBY credit I've accrued while flipping. Then pocket the $400+ from the skyrockets.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']OK thanks.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=s7BAVlW7aFu

yep their current plans are.
$20 for 300mb
$30 for 3gb
$50 for 5gb

Do you think they will charge my parents line for the first month even if the iphone is never turned on under their number? When I first got my skyrockets there was no data plan for the first two months. I manually added it once they announce they were going from $15 for 200mb to $20 for 300mb and got in on the last day it was available technically.[/QUOTE]

The iPhone needs to be activated through iTunes, so you're going to have to either activate it at home, or at an ATT store. But you're still going to have to get whichever number you upgrade a new standard size sim card. And you're going to have to get yourself a nano sim card, as the one in the phone will be useless because it will have your parent's number on it. As far as charging you for the data, they probably will, but prorate it. So if the phone has data for a day.... they'll charge you for that day of data.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Exactly I plan to keep my $15 plan as long as I can. Saves me $120 a year with 2 phones.

Also I just realized that BBY will be getting the iphone 5, not sure when, but maybe that would be the better option and use the BBY credit I've accrued while flipping. Then pocket the $400+ from the skyrockets.[/QUOTE]

Also, I don't know if they do this in California, but in Vegas if you buy the phone directly from Apple you only pay tax on the subsidized cost. If you buy the phone at ATT, Best Buy etc you pay tax on the full amount.

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']Also, I don't know if they do this in California, but in Vegas if you buy the phone directly from Apple you only pay tax on the subsidized cost. If you buy the phone at ATT, Best Buy etc you pay tax on the full amount.[/QUOTE]

Ya, unfortunately... they do that in California too.

Although Walmart charges tax on subsidized (contract) cost, not full amount. Figured that out when I bought my iPhone 4 when they dropped in price due to the iPhone 4S release.

[quote name='sasukekun']Ya, unfortunately... they do that in California too.

Although Walmart charges tax on subsidized (contract) cost, not full amount. Figured that out when I bought my iPhone 4 when they dropped in price due to the iPhone 4S release.[/QUOTE]

Didn't know that about Wal-Mart. I know if you buy on Amazon, most states theres no tax, but they don't sell the iphone on amazonwireless.com. But my friend did save around $70 on his Galaxy S3. Was $180 on Amazon, at Best Buy and ATT it was $199 plus $50 in tax.

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']The iPhone needs to be activated through iTunes, so you're going to have to either activate it at home, or at an ATT store. But you're still going to have to get whichever number you upgrade a new standard size sim card. And you're going to have to get yourself a nano sim card, as the one in the phone will be useless because it will have your parent's number on it. As far as charging you for the data, they probably will, but prorate it. So if the phone has data for a day.... they'll charge you for that day of data.[/QUOTE]

Interesting.

Doesn't seem too bad, just a hassle. I will confirm all this once their chat system opens up for the sales dept.

I guess I'll order through apple for sure if that tax BS is true.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Interesting.

Doesn't seem too bad, just a hassle. I will confirm all this once their chat system opens up for the sales dept.

I guess I'll order through apple for sure if that tax BS is true.[/QUOTE]

You can check the upgrade on apple.com with the iphone 4 or 4s and get all the way to checkout and it will tell u the tax. It doesn't do anything unless you pay, so you can check as many times as you want lol.

Yeah it might be more of a hassle because your parents don't have smartphones, if they did, it'd be a lot easier.

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']You can check the upgrade on apple.com with the iphone 4 or 4s and get all the way to checkout and it will tell u the tax. It doesn't do anything unless you pay, so you can check as many times as you want lol.

Yeah it might be more of a hassle because your parents don't have smartphones, if they did, it'd be a lot easier.[/QUOTE]

The Apple one is weird. It said I would have to pay $399 when I know I can upgrade on the ATT site for $199 for the same 16GB iPhone 5.

[quote name='sasukekun']The Apple one is weird. It said I would have to pay $399 when I know I can upgrade on the ATT site for $199 for the same 16GB iPhone 5.[/QUOTE]

Yeah on my lines it says I can get a full upgrade in july next year. On the ATT site it says may 2013. That's 2 months difference.

On the apple site it has $42.55 listed as the tax for the $99 4s. I'm on the part of checkout where you enter in your payment info.

It says its an estimate and the actual amount will be on my invoice. My tax is 7.75% So that is around $550 they are calculating the tax on.
It says that in CA and RI the tax is on the unbundled cost, so I have to pay tax on $600. That is total bullshit.

Any more clarification on this? I'm surprised at this as a lot of people buy iphones in CA, do they not realize they are paying so much extra? I guess they dont care. I care though!

[quote name='sasukekun']The Apple one is weird. It said I would have to pay $399 when I know I can upgrade on the ATT site for $199 for the same 16GB iPhone 5.[/QUOTE]

Your upgrade disappears if you're late on a bill then comes back after you pay it. That may be the reason

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Yeah on my lines it says I can get a full upgrade in july next year. On the ATT site it says may 2013. That's 2 months difference.

On the apple site it has $42.55 listed as the tax for the $99 4s. I'm on the part of checkout where you enter in your payment info.

It says its an estimate and the actual amount will be on my invoice. My tax is 7.75% So that is around $550 they are calculating the tax on.
It says that in CA and RI the tax is on the unbundled cost, so I have to pay tax on $600. That is total bullshit.

Any more clarification on this? I'm surprised at this as a lot of people buy iphones in CA, do they not realize they are paying so much extra? I guess they dont care. I care though![/QUOTE]

It's on every phone, not just the iPhone. Like I said above my friend was going to buy a galaxy S3 at Best Buy and tax was $50, so he bought it on amazon because there was no tax.

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']Your upgrade disappears if you're late on a bill then comes back after you pay it. That may be the reason

It's on every phone, not just the iPhone. Like I said above my friend was going to buy a galaxy S3 at Best Buy and tax was $50, so he bought it on amazon because there was no tax.[/QUOTE]

Really? When I bought my Skyrocket I didn't get charged tax on the full amount. Just because it was from amazon? that is some shady law, if you operate in CA you have to charge the tax on the full amount, not just tax.

I have an uncle that lives in Arizona, might ship it to him and have him ship it to me. The $15 or so to ship it back to me is way cheaper than paying an extra $62 tax on the two phones. Anyone know if I can change the shipping adress once I make the preorder? I assume I can and then they will have to charge me the arizona tax.

OK so I just got off chat with AT&T. Frankly the rep was quick and corrected themselves when they made a mistake and checked with a supervisor.

this is what I found out, hopefully it'll be useful to some people.

- You can use the upgrade device with any line on your account. Obviously.
- You do not need to do anything with the sim card, before you activate you call AT&T and activate on the phone. They will add the device to the correct lines.
- You have 3 days, yes THREE days, after activation to return iphones without having the activation fee and contract reversal (which means you get your upgrade back). After 3 days you get charged a $36 activation fee but have up to 30 days after activation to reverse the contract.
- You cannot cancel the contract until you have the device in hand
- If ordered online you have to get a data plan, but since they would never be activated under that line they would never get that data plan technically.
- The rep said if you order through the phone they can just give you the phone without the data plan since it will be used on another line. You only get charged the data plan mandatorily when ordering online, and that data plan doesn't start until you activate.

At first they said that it was 3 days after ordering to cancel. I basically said no, you mean 30 days right. They said no. Are you shitting me I basically responded and asked her to double check. that makes no sense since it would take over 3 days to ship, plus I was ordering a preorder from Apple. She comes back and says sorry its 3 days after activation. Phew!

[quote name='sasukekun']I am not an expert, but this was my experience with upgrading so far:

You should call AT&T CS or your local AT&T store.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this. I did the same thing and bought my parents iPhones (as well as put them under my family plan). Got the "free" upgrade for my dad since I extended his contract (another 2 years) and upgraded my old iPhone for the 4 (at a discount for extending my mom's contract) and gave my old iPhone to my mom.

This reminds me - I need to have my eligibility reset since I returned the 4S I bought last year. Thanks OP!

OK, thanks for all the help/input.

I ended up ordering a white and black 16gb.

I also sold my two Skyrockets on ebay for $205 and $245 after fees and shipping costs.

so $450 towards the new iphone 5's, but with the activation fees and bullshit tax in CA It doesn't cover it. I still have to pay about $120 out of pocket, but I guess that's what I get for living in CA.

I was thinking of preordering the phones from Bestbuy instead since I have a lot of credit there, but reading up on it I would have to put $55 down and then I would not be guaranteed a phone. So me and my gf already have to go about a week without phones, if we dont get it at launch we would be without it for a long time. That would be unacceptable and very bad for her since she is a nurse and on call some days.

You should be able to walk into an Apple Store on Sunday and buy them off the shelf. Can't guarantee that, but it's a pretty good chance.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']OK, thanks for all the help/input.

I ended up ordering a white and black 16gb.

I also sold my two Skyrockets on ebay for $205 and $245 after fees and shipping costs.

so $450 towards the new iphone 5's, but with the activation fees and bullshit tax in CA It doesn't cover it. I still have to pay about $120 out of pocket, but I guess that's what I get for living in CA.

I was thinking of preordering the phones from Bestbuy instead since I have a lot of credit there, but reading up on it I would have to put $55 down and then I would not be guaranteed a phone. So me and my gf already have to go about a week without phones, if we dont get it at launch we would be without it for a long time. That would be unacceptable and very bad for her since she is a nurse and on call some days.[/QUOTE]

Just use an unlocked phone for until you get your new phone

[quote name='62t']Just use an unlocked phone for until you get your new phone[/QUOTE]

I have one, but my gf does not. I can probably go without one for a week since I use google voice for all my text. But I need to find the charger for it. Its not unlocked, but its an AT&T phone.

bread's done
Back