Can anyone suggest some DS/GBA games to get an older person into gaming?

HumanSnatcher

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Reason why I'm asking is that in 2 weeks I'm flying out to Memphis to visit my boyfriend. I'm taking my DS with me to kill time on my flight as well as my 4 1/2 hours layover. Hes 46, and I'd like to maybe get him at least into playing a few games on my DS. I plan on movin to Memphis before the end of the year and obviously will have my consoles. But for now, I want to start out small. Hes no dummy at all (thank god too, as we can talk tech and I don't have to break things down into kindergarten terms, unlike my ex who still sometimes calls the actual PC "the modem" :wall::bomb:), yet I don't want anything overly complicated. About the only games that I have that I can think of to start with is Brain Age, Konami Classics Arcade, and True Swing Golf. The others I have are both Castlevanias, Fullmetal Alchemist DS and Resident Evil DS, which I think might be a bit much for now.

I'm thinking of maybe picking up NSMB, which I've wanted to pick up anyhow, but I don't know how that may fare. Unless I'm using the wrong search strings on Google, I can't find anything to help me figure out what to look for

Any help from my fellow CAGs would be greatly appreciated!

Again we go to the classics.

01. Wario Ware
02. Fire Emblem / Advance Wars (If he likes Chess)
03. New Super Mario Bros.
04. Nintendogs
05. Elite Beat Agents
06. Meteos

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney: Justice for All
Trace Memory
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Elite Beat Agents
Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken
Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones
Advance Wars
Advance Wars 2
Advance Wars Dual Strike
Pac Pix
New Super Mario Bros.
Yoshi's Island DS
Brain Age
Harvest Moon: friends of mineral town
Animal Crossing Wild World

And those are good for anyone.

Nintendogs for sure.

I'd try Tetris as well. Its been around long enough that most parents and non gamer types have at least heard of it. And Ive never met anyone that hated Tetris.

Maybe Mario Kart or even Kirby Canvas Curse...they seem to be fairly simple and easy/fast to get into games.

The Sudoku (and the main 'game') in Brain Age would be my first try.

Tetris or one of the adventure games like either Phoenix Wright or Hotel Dusk could be good to try as well.

I'd second (or third, or whatever) Tetris. And if any sort of strategy stuff interests him at all, Advance Wars DS (haven't played the GBA ones) is extremely addicting. The campaign, in particular, starts out pretty simply and does a good job of easing you into the game ... then, all of a sudden, you look around and discover you've been playing for 10 hours straight.

I really liked NSMB, but I have to assume he's had some sort of exposure to Mario games and already knows if he likes them or not. NSMB isn't going to change his mind one way or the other, IMO.

In my opinion:

Phoenix Wright (Either one but since it's an actual back to back series, shoot for the first)
New Super Mario Bros.
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Elite Beat Agents
Nintendogs
Tetris

Not sure what else off hand but none of which are overly hard. Phoenix Wright probably being the more difficult of the bunch for just trying to get him into it but it really pulls you in and is very intruiging to most people who play it.

I agree, NSMB would be very good. And I think Tetris would also be appropriate. Now if the person in question is into "non-gaming" gaming, I would also give Big Brain Academy a try (not Brain Age, many claimed it to be the lamer of the two). All of those games are simple, have a very small learning curve and are very general puzzle/adventure types. It'll be easier to show at least some interest in those titles.

If it helps, my sister who never played the DS before, now usually asks to borrow it to play NSMB and Tetris. It'd also be helpful if you told us the person's hobbies interests are. Some games parallel other hobbies, just gotta look for them.

EDIT: and almost all of those games that iwelyk stated seem like poor choices since they are mostly time consuming rpgs. And chances are someone entirely new to gaming aren't going to delve into rpgs that quick. The idea of "Look at my lvl 30 wizard!" doesn't sound all to interesting to people starting in the gaming scene. Though Puzzle Quest may be an exception, though I haven't played it, only the PC demo.

No one's mentioned Clubhouse Games?? That would be my first choice. There's sure to be SOMETHING on that cart he'll like.

If he can read, and isn't afraid of pretty much a book of puzzles, Phoenix Wright (first one). Best game on DS. Ace Harding: Private Eye's suggestions are good, and Clubhouse Games is probobly the best suggestion.

Clubhouse Games, Brain Age, and Tetris.

If he might like something a bit more involved then NSMB.

Past that, hell pick anything else from this thread, they are all fairly decent.

Easy choices here...

New Super Mario Bros.
Brain Age
The New York Times Crosswords
Clubhouse Games

Those four right there cover lots of interests. Honestly, at the top of the list I would have Clubhouse Games. With 42 games on the cart, there are bound to be a few (such as Rummy, 5-card Draw, Bowling, Chess, etc) that he will enjoy.

My husband is 46, as well... unfortunately he has no interest in the DS :( So if you manage to catch your boyfriend's interest, let me know what with! I think the idea of the Konami compilation is good, though. My husband likes the compilation games on PS2.

I wish I could think of something that would get him into it... would love to have someone to play all the wireless LAN enabled games with :p I think he dislikes the small screen moreso than the selection of games. Maybe because he was "too old" when the whole handheld generation cropped up?

as mentioned.. clubhouse games.. it has games everyone knows everyone likes..

I wouldn't do any "anime" based games.. (no phoenix wright, touch detective..) as I find that those games don't quite have the charm to the older generation that they do to the younger..

I wouldn't try brain age, and here's the reason, if you're getting a "non gamer" to play "games" using a "non game" won't help.. it might help in getting him to use the game system, but it won't translate well into other games.. I would also try to stay away from mass killing style games..

NSMB is a great game for something after clubhouse games.. you say he's "not an idiot" so I wouldn't treat him as one when it comes to games.. just don't throw him into the Halo gauntlet.. but I would next try turn based RPGs (just try to find as little anime influenced ones as possible) My dad (who ironically just turned 45..) he plays Neverwinter Nights 2, Dungeon Siege, and D&D online.. he's less inclined to play Halo.. but he's been known to play a good action platforming game from time to time.. I remember when I was younger we'd play SMBs all day.. and He loved Medievil and Ninja on the Playstation.. he was also a fan of Hot Shots Golf..

I would also try the more social non competitive games to introduce him slowly into what you consider "entertainment".

I would consider possibly picking up a second one as any DS game has single card multiplayer and what better way to spend time with each other then trying your hands at clubhouse games?..

Just had to click on this thread to see what the OP defined as an "older gamer". Thankfully, I'm still several years shy of 46 ;). But I am close to that generation. I grew up on Atari and Colecovision and then moved on to PC gaming (went away from the NES/SNES stuff) and just got back into consoles with the Gamecube (and then PS2 and DS and PSP, and now Wii and 360).

I'm a big RPG fan - I played some of the same PC RPG's that urzishra14's dad played, and have made the transition to Anime-style JRPG's just fine. In fact, that is probably my favorote console genre. I have the Phoenix Wright/Hotel Dusk types of games but haven't gotten myself around to playing them. I like the Mario platformer stuff (finished NSMB and Yoshi's Island DS). Clubhouse Games is great. I *really* loved Advance Wars DS. It is a great game for plane travel too - makes cross-country flights go by in a heartbeat ;). If he's a business traveller the DS is essential. I'm actually a bit disappointed my company hasn't sent me on any trips since last Fall - I've gotten behind on my DS backlog as a result.

Just about the only types of games I haven't gotten into are FPS (except for Metroid if you count that as one) and Zombie/horror games. I can't imagine a lot of "older" games are into the latter, in any case (though I'm sure plenty are into FPS's, just not me).

[quote name='PleasantOne']My husband is 46, as well... unfortunately he has no interest in the DS :( So if you manage to catch your boyfriend's interest, let me know what with! I think the idea of the Konami compilation is good, though. My husband likes the compilation games on PS2.

I wish I could think of something that would get him into it... would love to have someone to play all the wireless LAN enabled games with :p I think he dislikes the small screen moreso than the selection of games. Maybe because he was "too old" when the whole handheld generation cropped up?[/quote]
I have toyed with the idea of packing in my PS2 into my luggage. It would give me something to do at least while he is at work and I'm in our hotel room by myself (he actually lives with a room mate an hour away, but works in Memphis), that is if the room isn't near anything that can be gotten to quickly. Plus I have a ton of compilation titles that I could ease him into at the very least. We both want to take a liking to each others interests and hobbies. Plus I'm game for anything that can help us bond just that much more together. Come to think of it, the PS2 would be a little better as we both could play at the same time. But I digress on that as this isn't the section for PS2 suggestions lol. Though, like me, he loves tech stuff, so it may not be that hard getting him into it.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']

Actually, age doesn't bother me one bit (though, he'll be 47 in Aug, which I'm flying back down there then). Hes a wonderful man, and everything I've ever dreamt about. Besides, my ex partner will be 51 in July. I've always been attracted to older men anyways.

Sorry to derail my own thread...my meds are seriously kicking my ass right now lol[/quote]
wth...man I feel like throwing up right now

Such a sinful thing to do...man + women...nothing else

Games that he can just jump in and play...

Clubhouse Games - lots of variety here; great if he likes card, board, and parlor games

Feel the Magic - an old game, so I don't know how many places still sell it; very fun mini games though. If you can't find this it, go with Rub Rabbits, but I don't know how many places still sell that either.

Tetris - who doesn't like Tetris? That's the one game that almost everyone I know who doesn't play games likes

Mario Kart - another game that a lot of non-gamers enjoy and can get into easily

As for GBA games... I'm having a bit of a brain fart right now, so I can't think of any GBA games to recommend.:oops:

[quote name='Spades22']wth...man I feel like throwing up right now

Such a sinful thing to do...man + women...nothing else[/QUOTE]

You know, I didn't even notice that until you mentioned it. Meh, doesn't matter to me :lol:. You really ought to keep these kinds of comments in the "vs" forum, though. They don't belong here... If I wanted to read what CAG's thought about politics and morality (beyond game-related stuff like Jack Thompson and piracy and whatnot) I'd venture in there. Since I don't care what a bunch of mostly inexperienced (in real life) 20-somethings and younger people think about such things, I stay out of that forum ;).

[quote name='io']You know, I didn't even notice that until you mentioned it. Meh, doesn't matter to me :lol:. You really ought to keep these kinds of comments in the "vs" forum, though. They don't belong here... If I wanted to read what CAG's thought about politics and morality (beyond game-related stuff like Jack Thompson and piracy and whatnot) I'd venture in there. Since I don't care what a bunch of mostly inexperienced (in real life) 20-somethings and younger people think about such things, I stay out of that forum ;).[/quote]
Ya I went there once for a bit...that place is so dirty I haven't entered it since lol. But ya I think also talk about 50 year old boys who like each other shouldn't be spoken of in the DS/GBA section either haha...I mean I came here to find good game recommendations/give suggestions and all I see is filth :???:

But eh his life not mine, I just actually get a little sad and mad for others when i see stuff like this so its hard to hold it in lol

[quote name='Spades22']Ya I went there once for a bit...that place is so dirty I haven't entered it since lol. But ya I think also talk about 50 year old boys who like each other shouldn't be spoken of in the DS/GBA section either haha...I mean I came here to find good game recommendations/give suggestions and all I see is filth :???:

But eh his life not mine, I just actually get a little sad and mad for others when i see stuff like this so its hard to hold it in lol[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm just saying I didn't even notice the OP was a guy until I read your post and then thought about it. It's not like he's going into private details here - so no "filth" was spoken of except what you created in your own mind ;). And the OP is 24, not 50, so don't bring age into this! :lol:

And, no need to get sad or mad about it, what does it matter to you? Like I always said (when I was younger and not married yet) the more gay guys there are out there, the more girls there are for the rest of us!

Anyways, we're veering WAY off topic and like I said this belongs in vs or off-topic at the least. If you want to make a thread in vs about what you saw here and how it offended you then I have no problem with that - but let's stop littering up the OP's thread with this stuff. You may have the final word, I'm done...

[quote name='io']Well, I'm just saying I didn't even notice the OP was a guy until I read your post and then thought about it. It's not like he's going into private details here - so no "filth" was spoken of except what you created in your own mind ;). And the OP is 24, not 50, so don't bring age into this! :lol:

And, no need to get sad or mad about it, what does it matter to you? Like I always said (when I was younger and not married yet) the more gay guys there are out there, the more girls there are for the rest of us!

Anyways, we're veering WAY off topic and like I said this belongs in vs or off-topic at the least. If you want to make a thread in vs about what you saw here and how it offended you then I have no problem with that - but let's stop littering up the OP's thread with this stuff. You may have the final word, I'm done...[/quote]

mmk well I might as well. Gotta explain what I meant by "filth" anyway. I guess, quite simply put, I'm a born again Christian so I believe it should be a man + a woman with no exceptions. So ya I wasn't imagining anything filthy, the act of liking a guy in that way is filthy to me. Plus there's eternal consequences in the Bible....but you guys can read it for yourself if you like.

Anyway, if I wanted to get someone into DS gaming, I'd give em Brain age

[quote name='Spades22']mmk well I might as well. Gotta explain what I meant by "filth" anyway. I guess, quite simply put, I'm a born again Christian so I believe it should be a man + a woman with no exceptions. So ya I wasn't imagining anything filthy, the act of liking a guy in that way is filthy to me. Plus there's eternal consequences in the Bible....but you guys can read it for yourself if you like.

Anyway, if I wanted to get someone into DS gaming, I'd give em Brain age[/quote]

How about you keep your beliefs out of this. No one asked you for your values. I don't give a shit if you are a born again Christian (which in my eyes, holier than thou little shits like you can fuck off and die). People like you that have to push your beliefs on others piss me off to no end. I was asking for game suggestions, not someone to come in and prostletize because of what they see as "wrong".

bread's done
Back