Can I play a movie on my external HD using PS3?

magnawiz

CAGiversary!
I have a movie in AVI format on my external harddrive. Can I plug its USB cord into the PS3's USB port for the controller and play the movie on the TV using PS3? Does the PS3 play AVI?

If not, how can I watch something that is on my computer or external HD on the PS3? Thanks :)

TVersity works like a charm to stream videos from your comp to your ps3. it converts AVI on the fly. ps3 doesnt support avi on its own.

Thanks whoknows and kleptoix. I will try both methods. Although I'm not sure how to convert AVI to MP4. I don't usually use MP4. Hope Mpeg works.

For the PS3 to recognize your drive... you must have it set up FAT32... to do that you'll have to use the software that came with your external HD.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Huh? I thought it did support avi with the new recent update?[/quote]

The update isnt out yet. The 360 released one just the other day that enabled .avi/DivX playback.

Thanks everyone. I still can't get a single video from my external harddrive or media share from Windows Media Player 11 to play on the PS3 but I'm still trying.

I tried converting my AVI video into MP4 (Mpeg4-AVC) format and transferred it onto my external HD. My PS3 recognizes my external HD when I plug it in, as "USB Drive". But when I go into it it says "No title found" so I don't know what's the deal. PS3 should be able to play MP4 right? Or else, what format can the PS3 play?

My AVI videos are Xvid so I'm guessing that's the reason why PS3 can't play it (yet) but it should've been able to recognize MP4 format and play it...

EDIT: Looks like I can't media share the MP4 video either because Windows Media Player 11 can't play MP4.

[quote name='magnawiz']Thanks everyone. I still can't get a single video from my external harddrive or media share from Windows Media Player 11 to play on the PS3 but I'm still trying.

I tried converting my AVI video into MP4 (Mpeg4-AVC) format and transferred it onto my external HD. My PS3 recognizes my external HD when I plug it in, as "USB Drive". But when I go into it it says "No title found" so I don't know what's the deal. PS3 should be able to play MP4 right? Or else, what format can the PS3 play?

My AVI videos are Xvid so I'm guessing that's the reason why PS3 can't play it (yet) but it should've been able to recognize MP4 format and play it...[/quote]
Did you highlight the USB drive, then hit triangle? It should bring up a menu and allow you to select "Display all". Now you should be able to dig though all the folders on the drive.

OMG IT WORKED! Thanks NamePaehc! Thanks everyone! Death Note MP4 format is playing on my PS3 in all its clear-quality glory! YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I just need to convert all 36 other episodes using PS3 Video 9 :)

ps3 can play divx/xvid/wmv avi files, but it seems to be pretty picky about how it's encoded. For example my friend plays bleach and naruto subbed by DB (xvid avi) on his ps3 all the time, but I can't get many of my own wmv9 encoded avi's to work.

[quote name='Mrcapcom']umm my 80gb plays divx xvid avi files fine[/quote]

Yeah, if you look at the OP date it's from December 2007, before AVI support was added. Not sure why anyone dug this thread up...

Anyone know what is a good tool to use to rip DVD's to my computer so I can store them on an external hd to play on my ps3?

Magic DVD Ripper is what I use and it works fantastic. Stay away from Xiisoft software though. It works horribly for anime.

hi, ps3 can play divx/xvid/wmv avi files, but it seems to be pretty picky about how it's encoded. For example my friend plays bleach and naruto subbed by DB (xvid avi) on his ps3 all the time, but I can't get many of my own wmv9 encoded avi's to work.

bread's done
Back