Can I put a PS upside down on a computer case that mounts the PS on the bottom?

Unicorntard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Yes it will be fine to flip the PSU any which way so don't worry about that

I recommend you close up that exhaust though so as to help keep crap out of your case

Ducttape would work good to seal it off from the inside

I don't think the PSU will mount upside down, with the default screw holes. You may have to drill new ones. And it might mess up the airflow, since the case was designed to have the PSU mounted right-side-up.

If you have to have the case on the floor, find a small piece of plywood or something to put underneath it, or just find a different case.

Taking into consideration (and I might be wrong here) but that thing doesnt have a removeable panel so you can only put the psu in whatever direction it wants unless you drill new holes and when you zoom in you can see vent holes on the bottom of the case just behind the psu's spot so I am assuming that it wont be upside down it has intake holes on the bottom.

I always preferred my psu at the top and rear because heat always rises and will rise to the psu and just get vented out the back of it. Plus the psu itself generates heat so having it at the top will eliminate uneeded heat flowing through your case and it for me atleast eliminates the need for a upper exhaust fan. My game pc only has 1 exhaust fan and its the one on the psu since its relatively cool where my computers are and I have a roomy case. My pcs only have 2 fans, 1 on the psu and 1 on the cpu and I never have heat issues. And like I said, heat rises so having a exhaust at the bottom doesnt make much sense.

If you picked that one because it is cheap I would reccomend bumping another 20 bucks and getting this one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119077

Yeah you should be okay with either option. I've done so many different mounting positions that as long as the airflow isn't blocked it will run just fine.

[quote name='gargus']Taking into consideration (and I might be wrong here) but that thing doesnt have a removeable panel so you can only put the psu in whatever direction it wants unless you drill new holes and when you zoom in you can see vent holes on the bottom of the case just behind the psu's spot so I am assuming that it wont be upside down it has intake holes on the bottom.

I always preferred my psu at the top and rear because heat always rises and will rise to the psu and just get vented out the back of it. Plus the psu itself generates heat so having it at the top will eliminate uneeded heat flowing through your case and it for me atleast eliminates the need for a upper exhaust fan. My game pc only has 1 exhaust fan and its the one on the psu since its relatively cool where my computers are and I have a roomy case. My pcs only have 2 fans, 1 on the psu and 1 on the cpu and I never have heat issues. And like I said, heat rises so having a exhaust at the bottom doesnt make much sense.

If you picked that one because it is cheap I would reccomend bumping another 20 bucks and getting this one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119077[/QUOTE]
There are benefits to having the PSU at the bottom too. It intakes cooler air, so the PSU itself will be cooler and therefore more efficient. Also, bottom mounted PSUs lower the center of gravity, making it harder for the case to tip over if it's accidentally bumped.

It's a matter of preference really. There are arguments both ways.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']There are benefits to having the PSU at the bottom too. It intakes cooler air, so the PSU itself will be cooler and therefore more efficient. Also, bottom mounted PSUs lower the center of gravity, making it harder for the case to tip over if it's accidentally bumped.

It's a matter of preference really. There are arguments both ways.[/QUOTE]

If you have a good quality psu then you dont need to worry about getting it cool air. I run corsair brand psu's in all my machine and even after hours of gaming or a pc being turned on all night downloading stuff I never get more than lukewarm air coming out the back of it. Thats why the best psu's are usually the heaviest and most solid feeling because they have quality heatsinks properly posistioned to make the most of airflow, even if its drawing in already warm air from inside the pc.

If you buy a cheap ass psu your going to have it get hotter and bottom or top it wont matter because its going to get hot.

Not to mention being on the bottom, pulling air from under the case your going to be sucking up dust that settles under there. Plus you get less intake from a smaller space. Its kind of like taking a vacumn suction house and holding it just out its sucking in the maximum amount of air possible, now if you take the end of the hose and hold it 1/4 inch away from the wall (such as it would be in that case linked) your pulling in and air from a much smaller space.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the main reason for the PSU on top was because the Hot air coming off the fans or PSU itself does not make its way right up to your motherboard/sold. joints etc... i think the PSU should be at top myself.(heat reasons)

[quote name='gargus']If you have a good quality psu then you dont need to worry about getting it cool air. [/QUOTE]
I didn't say you needed to "worry" about it getting cool air, just that the PSU itself will be more efficient drawing in cool air, rather than warm/hot air from inside your case. Cooler intake=higher efficiency, no matter what brand/quality of PSU you use.

I'm probably not the best person to ask since I've had power supplies mounted on top of my Case before and mounted an intake fan where the PSU would normally go. =P

I have a cooler master CM690 that has the PSU mounted at the bottom. The case has large rubber feet that keep the case high enough off the carpet that I get enough air flow for intake. I haven't looked at your case, but if there aren't any feet that'll keep it elevated, you might want to think about adding some.

I just built my first PC, and the case I bought had a bottom loaded PSU slot. I tried flipping my PSU so that the air would blow through the case, but the screws didn't line up right, and now that I think of it, that wouldn't make much sense anyway ahaha. If it's on the bottom, set it on a hard surface though so it gets good airflow.

bread's done
Back