Can I use my hard drive with W7 on my new build?

Unicorntard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I have a desktop that came with Windows 7 pre-installed. Well, now I've been thinking of getting a new motherboard, along with a new CPU and new RAM. I want to use the hard drive that came with Windows 7 and put it along my new build. Will I have any problems or anything?

You have to reinstall. If you don't the errors you get will be awesomely fatal to your system.

[quote name='Megazell']You have to reinstall. If you don't the errors you get will be awesomely fatal to your system.[/QUOTE]

Damn! Good thing I made those disks. What would be the problem? Anybody?

[quote name='Unicorntard']Damn! Good thing I made those disks. What would be the problem? Anybody?[/QUOTE]

Installation is based on hardware you have in your machine. Change the hardware...boot up the OS...you will get errors no one can help you with.

[quote name='Megazell']Installation is based on hardware you have in your machine. Change the hardware...boot up the OS...you will get errors no one can help you with.[/QUOTE]

So, should I install the hard drive on my new hardware first, boot it up (with the Windows 7 disks in the DVD drive so I can reinstall)? Thanks for your help Megazell.

[quote name='Unicorntard']So, should I install the hard drive on my new hardware first, boot it up (with the Windows 7 disks in the DVD drive so I can reinstall)? Thanks for your help Megazell.[/QUOTE]

Put your computer together.

Format the HD.

Reinstall your OS.

Thank you Megazell for all your help.

Sorry that I didn't reply back, I had to go to work! I was going to be late if I spent another minute here :lol: .

I didn't make it clear... the Windows 7 disks I have are the recovery disks. I have 3 DVD's.

When you buy a pre-built Windows 7 PC, you don't get a W7 installation disk... you don't get any disks at all. You have to make your own recovery disks.

Can I...

Put together my new build with the hard drive that has Windows 7 pre-installed, turn it on, go to BIOS and set boot priority to my DVD drive and then run those recovery disks as a clean install of Windows 7?

[quote name='Unicorntard']Thank you Megazell for all your help.

I didn't make it clear... the Windows 7 disks I have are the recovery disks. I have 3 DVD's.

When you buy a pre-built Windows 7 PC, you don't get a W7 installation disk... you don't get any disks at all. You have to make your own recovery disks.

Can I...

Put together my new build with the hard drive that has Windows 7 pre-installed, turn it on, go to BIOS and set boot priority to my DVD drive and then run those recovery disks as a clean install of Windows 7?[/QUOTE]

This, children, is why pre-built computers are only for soccer moms.

^ I think that's murky territory that borders on illegal if not outright illegal. I am sure if you rephrase that question on Google you will get an answer that may clear things up for you.

[quote name='Chuplayer']This, children, is why pre-built computers are only for soccer moms.[/QUOTE]

Sad but true. Uni could be a soccer mom, though.

[quote name='Chuplayer']This, children, is why pre-built computers are only for soccer moms.[/QUOTE]

This problem is bumming me out. Im upgrading my dual core CPU to a quad core:), my DDR2 ram to DDR3 ram :) and my motherboard to well... I still haven't decided on which one to get but I will be getting a new one
too :lol:. The only thing that's stopping me is the OS problem. :cry:

[quote name='Megazell']^ I think that's murky territory that borders on illegal if not outright illegal. I am sure if you rephrase that question on Google you will get an answer that may clear things up for you. [/QUOTE]

The making of the recovery disks? That's legal. You have to make them yourself. There's a program on Windows 7 that you use. You can only make one set of recovery disks though. Computer companies use to supply them with the purchase of a new computer on XP systems (I don't know about Vista). I guess Microsoft changed their mind, instead of them supplying the disks, they save some $ with you making them.

Making the recovery disks is perfectly legal. The Windows license that comes with your computer is tied to that specific hardware. So, when you change out the motherboard, you're invalidating the license. There's a chance your recovery disks wont work with the new hardware, too. Either install Linux, or buy a new Windows license.

[quote name='Brownjohn']Making the recovery disks is perfectly legal. The Windows license that comes with your computer is tied to that specific hardware. So, when you change out the motherboard, you're invalidating the license. There's a chance your recovery disks wont work with the new hardware, too. Either install Linux, or buy a new Windows license.[/QUOTE]

That's what i read on other forums too.

BUT they have call Microsoft and explained the situation and Microsoft ended up giving them a new key. Im going to call Microsoft in a bit... after 9.00pm... don't want to use minutes!

Good luck dealing with MS. When I changed just my processor I got the error saying my Windows key was invalid. I called them and after 45 minutes of them telling me I needed to buy a new key, and me telling them that they can kiss my ass, the Indian dude finally broke down and just reactivated my shit.

To this day, it's probably the longest/worst "customer support" call I've ever had to deal with.

[quote name='Megazell']You have to reinstall. If you don't the errors you get will be awesomely fatal to your system.[/QUOTE]

Not anymore. There was a time upgrading alot of components, paticullary a motherboard caused problems between driver changes and registry entries but that doesnt hold as true anymore unless you have a OS so gunked up and full of crap before you do the swap. Swapping out the stuff and then doing a quick run with ccleaner in normal registry mode will take care of alot of potential problems. I dont advise that route as I prefer a complete wipe and load but to say it will automatically cause untold issues isnt true when it comes to windows 7 and its complete rebuild of the kernel system over older versions of windows. Win7 is surprisingly versatile and stable.

You can even run a windows repair while booting before windows comes up.

Ive done this twice to pc's because the person despite my explaining about backing up and reloading still wanted it that way so at their request and my warning I did it and had no issues and still havent months later. I tried it for the hell of it when I recently dropped a new corei7 cpu, mobo and ram into my game pc just to play with it and no problems. Not say that everyone will be problem free but saying that doing it is a automatic windows destroying experince is wrong.

[quote name='gargus']Not anymore. There was a time upgrading alot of components, paticullary a motherboard caused problems between driver changes and registry entries but that doesnt hold as true anymore unless you have a OS so gunked up and full of crap before you do the swap. Swapping out the stuff and then doing a quick run with ccleaner in normal registry mode will take care of alot of potential problems. I dont advise that route as I prefer a complete wipe and load but to say it will automatically cause untold issues isnt true when it comes to windows 7 and its complete rebuild of the kernel system over older versions of windows. Win7 is surprisingly versatile and stable.

You can even run a windows repair while booting before windows comes up.

Ive done this twice to pc's because the person despite my explaining about backing up and reloading still wanted it that way so at their request and my warning I did it and had no issues and still havent months later. I tried it for the hell of it when I recently dropped a new corei7 cpu, mobo and ram into my game pc just to play with it and no problems. Not say that everyone will be problem free but saying that doing it is a automatic windows destroying experince is wrong.[/QUOTE]

Wow, Windows 7 didn't deactive? I read in a lot of other forums that W7 would lock up after changing the mobo.

I wish I could try this, but buying hundreds of dollars of computer components and then it not working is something Im not willing to do. Especially when I don't make much money.

I'll wait till Newegg's Black Friday and see what I can get.
I'll be hoping for a deal on Windows 7 Full :pray:.

For now I'll have to stick with my Dual Core Athlon II, 3 gigs of DDR2 ram, A Radeon 5670, a Micro ATX mobo and a Micro ATX case.

The reason I want to build a computer is because this computer I got was pre-built... I want my own computer, custom made to my preferences.

[quote name='SEH']To this day, it's probably the longest/worst "customer support" call I've ever had to deal with.[/QUOTE]

I've only had to call them two or three times ever and I've had good english support every time. Must be because I end up having to call with newly released products and the support in India doesn't cover it quite yet.

bread's done
Back