Can I use this external hardrive to play PC games?

Poor2More

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
My Alienware laptop harddrive is full, and I purchased this external

Seagate Backup Plus 3 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00829THQE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I was wondering if I install a game such as Diablo III or Guild Wars 2 on this external hard drive, can I play the games without any drawbacks (speed, performance dips, etc), or do I have to install the games on my computer harddrive? Thanks

Can you? Yes.

Will there be drawback? Oh yes.

Do you have to install games on the computer harddrive? No. You can certainly install games on SD cards or SSDs if you really want to.

Would it be a good idea? No.

[quote name='j-cart']Can you? Yes.

Will there be drawback? Oh yes.

Do you have to install games on the computer harddrive? No. You can certainly install games on SD cards or SSDs if you really want to.

Would it be a good idea? No.[/QUOTE]

even if drive is 7200rpm, and it will be connected via 3.0 USB port?

What are you asking?

If you can? or If you should?

Because you can, but should you is your choice. Performance will certainly suffer a bit. Not to mention the what ifs if you unplugged or if you HDD died during play.

Even with USB 3.0, realistic speeds of the bus will still hinder the hard drive performance; still faster than USB 2.0. Expect 50-60MB/sec with bursts to about 80-90MB/sec. The drive will do 160-180MB/sec if it was on SATA for reference.

Is there a second bay for another HDD in your laptop?

Some laptops have a second bay that is buried in laptops. My Studio 17 is a decent example.

External HDD's for games is just not a smart idea if you want effiency and performance.

As long as you have it hooked to a 3.0 port, it should function fine. I have 1.5TB of steam games on an external Seagate 3.0 2TB drive, and I haven't noticed any performance issues, regardless of the numbers behind it.

I bought the External HD because A. it was $89 on clearance when internal 2TB drives were twice the price at the time, and B. so I could DL my games at a buddies house since his internet is like 10x faster than mine.

After running games off of it, and off of an internal drive and noticing no difference, I just kept them on the external for ease of use.

Also, since you said you already purchased the drive, try it out and see what you think?

bread's done
Back