Can someone answer some EE questions for me...

simplygriff

CAGiversary!
...or point me to somewhere that can.

From what I understand, the newer PS3 without the EE means that less games are backwards compatible, and some with problems. And there's a searchable list at playstation.com.

Is that all it really means? Less functionality? Are there any other features lost with the removal of the EE? Can you still upscale PS2 games and regular DVD's? Any other info on the differences would be great too. Thanks in advance!
-G

Wow. 30 views and no responses. Guess you guys don't know either. Oh well...
shrug03.gif

-G

It just means less games are compatible. Some wont work or have problems. But for games that work and dvd it should be same as PS3 with EE

Possibly. I've been on the fence since this time last year. The 40gb sounds like it would be what I'm looking for, I just wanna know what I'd be getting into with backward compatibility and all.
-G

I read an ugly rumor about the 40GB not having PS2 support whatsoever. Probably a pretty good price-cutting move for Sony since I doubt most customers even know about the backwards compatibility (although can a software emulator really cost that much?). Pretty terrible for anyone who considers themselves a gamer.

[quote name='dserafin1986']Just get the 60 gig...I just bought one on Monday...Love it...That way you don't have to worry about BC...[/QUOTE]

Do all 60gb's still have EE's? I thought they took them out of those too. Can you tell a difference on the boxes?
-G

Sony's site has a web tool where you type in the name of a game, and it will tell you what issues there are (if any) on both the 60GB and 80GB boxes. Here it is:

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

This can help you decide if the games you have have any issues. The Ratchet and Clank games, for example, still have massive problems on 80GB and no issues on 60GB systems.

It looks like Sony is doing a decent job fixing problems with updated firmwares. The question you should ask yourself is: Do I have or plan on getting any PS2 games that are worth $100 to me?

In my case, I have a nice PS1 and PS2 library, so backwards compatibility was important to me and I bought a 60GB. Now I think I can sell my PS2, which will save space and get me some extra cash.

yeah, I've played with that list thing a bit.

OK so all 60's have EE's. Hmmm... Then I'm gonna have to give it all some more thought. I have a pretty extensive library of PS1 & 2 as well. Guess I'll just wait it out til there's an official announcement of a 40gb. Thanks for your help guys!
-G

The new box should say "limited BC."

I guess most people didn't response to this thread b/c it has been talked over and over numerous time... One of the reasons why PS3 101 thread was created, but i guess that's pretty old as well...

[quote name='simplygriff']yeah, I've played with that list thing a bit.

OK so all 60's have EE's. Hmmm... Then I'm gonna have to give it all some more thought. I have a pretty extensive library of PS1 & 2 as well. Guess I'll just wait it out til there's an official announcement of a 40gb. Thanks for your help guys!
-G[/quote]

The drawback is software emulation has a compatibility rate around 70%, but upscaling and all that is the same on both systems.

I'm sure the 40GB version will have software emulation since they developed it in house already, it will cost them nothing to include it. However, don't expect too many future updates to improve compatibility.

[quote name='espywork']The drawback is software emulation has a compatibility rate around 70%, but upscaling and all that is the same on both systems.

I'm sure the 40GB version will have software emulation since they developed it in house already, it will cost them nothing to include it. However, don't expect too many future updates to improve compatibility.[/quote]

I wonder about this. With the software emulation it would seem easy to include "improvements" for certain games (better textures, etc), though I don't know if this is something Sony plans on doing. Since they haven't so far with God of War or other high profile titles (the way MS beefed up Halo and Halo 2 for the 360) they may not be planning on doing so in the future ...

With the 40gb model, however, which is actually running a PS2 chip, it seems possible that that might not work. Perhaps there's an override that would allow software emulation to take over from the PS2 chip if the emulation is superior. As an owner of a 40gb PS3, I certainly hope so!

instead of a list of games that are playable on the 80gb ps3 they should have a list of games that AREN"T playable on the ps3. I have a lot of games and I don't want to enter them all to see if they work. If the compatiblity list is 85% like they say then the non-compatible games shouldn't be that long. One look at the list will tell me if I need a 60 or an 80.

[quote name='blandstalker']Sony's site has a web tool where you type in the name of a game, and it will tell you what issues there are (if any) on both the 60GB and 80GB boxes. Here it is:

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

This can help you decide if the games you have have any issues. The Ratchet and Clank games, for example, still have massive problems on 80GB and no issues on 60GB systems.

It looks like Sony is doing a decent job fixing problems with updated firmwares. The question you should ask yourself is: Do I have or plan on getting any PS2 games that are worth $100 to me?

In my case, I have a nice PS1 and PS2 library, so backwards compatibility was important to me and I bought a 60GB. Now I think I can sell my PS2, which will save space and get me some extra cash.[/quote]

QFT. See my collection in my sig. I would make a decision pretty soon though about the 60GB PS3, it's disapperaing from store shelves in my area. The only places that still have one in my area are Target, Wal-Mart, and two independent game stores.

[quote name='dfo']I wonder about this. With the software emulation it would seem easy to include "improvements" for certain games (better textures, etc), though I don't know if this is something Sony plans on doing. Since they haven't so far with God of War or other high profile titles (the way MS beefed up Halo and Halo 2 for the 360) they may not be planning on doing so in the future ...[/quote]

The problem with this is that someone has to sit around and fix or improve the emulation for each game. Sony has stated a few times that they would rather dedicate resources to developing new games. And any improvements they make aren't game specific, typically. Either all games get them (e.g. upscaling) or nothing.

With the 40gb model, however, which is actually running a PS2 chip, it seems possible that that might not work. Perhaps there's an override that would allow software emulation to take over from the PS2 chip if the emulation is superior. As an owner of a 40gb PS3, I certainly hope so!

You mean the 60GB and you can't own a 40GB since it isn't commercially available unless you swapped out the drive. Regardless, I doubt they will really invest in backwards compatibility as it is a feature that doesn't really help sell the PS3 nor does it make them money.

bread's done
Back