Can someone explain how Amazon selling works and the fees associated with it?

Ryukahn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
I've never used it before, but after seeing Ebay's ridiculous fees for video games I am thinking of trying it out. Going to the game pages and checking on the used listings, I would be fine with going lower than any of the listings on the site, but I have no idea how the fees and other things work. I tried reading on the site's page for fees, but it was a little confusing as it looked like there was 3 different fees that were added together.

I sell video games on amazon all the time and i love their system. I can't tell you exactly how their fees work because I'm not sure but fees for a $50 game are about $9 and fees for a $10 game are about $4. It really varies with how much you are selling it for. Sorry I can't tell you any more.

Edit: You also get $4 for shipping.

List something for the price you want. You pay nothing unless/until it sells.
Unless you're a powerseller or whatever they call it, you pay a flat fee per sale and a commission and fee which vary by type of product. You get a postage credit which usually covers postage.
If you list an item, at the final step of it before confirming, you should see a screen that will tell you your net after commissions/fees.
Their commissions are pretty high, but you get lots of visibility and I've found people are willing to pay a little more over amazon - I've sold used things for just a few bucks less than new - at least for 'standard' (noncollectible/nonrare goods.) Plus inventory management is pretty easy.

I think the Closing Fee plus Flat Transaction Fee is sort of crappy but can't do much about it.

For video games; you will be better off selling them here (Way to promote CAG!). For everything else, Amazon is a better bet. I use Amazon to sell my textbooks, because you can have the item up for as long as you like without being charged.

[quote name='NewYorkelite']For video games; you will be better off selling them here (Way to promote CAG!). For everything else, Amazon is a better bet. I use Amazon to sell my textbooks, because you can have the item up for as long as you like without being charged.[/QUOTE]

LOL, better off selling them here? HAHAHAHAHA!!! The site is chock full of the most lowballing motherfuckers on the planet, me included! Ridiculous to think that you'd be better off selling them here. I've had shitbirds here make offers equivalent of scratched up disc only copies of 15 year old sports games for complete mint black label copies of Ico, Suikoden 2, etc.

Costs for selling games on amazon are high as fuck, but you get to set the price and prices are generally much inflated over ebay. There are pros and cons to every system, but I've found amazon to be quite useful.

Prices for listing and selling games are:

$.99 listing fee, 15% of the sale price which you set, and a $1.35 closing fee once sold - all cuts are taken after the item sells; amazon basically retains your cut for a few days until it is deposited to a linked bank account.

For rare/high value games it's fantastic, because there is very little competition and asking prices are generally insanely high, so if there is a desperate person out there who just must have that rare game you're peddling, you've got him/her over the barrel. If they're poor, cheapskate deadbeats and don't want to pay your price, they can go pound sand.

[quote name='karkyco']LOL, better off selling them here? HAHAHAHAHA!!! The site is chock full of the most lowballing motherfuckers on the planet .[/QUOTE]

AMEN. Also don't cross promote your ebay auctions on here for high value collectible stuff because you'll be laughed at even though your prices are 20% lower then everything else on ebay for the same condition item.

Ebay has until March I think, a 5 cent listing fee for games, dvds and cds with a free gallery picture upgrade and a free subtitle. Normally about $1.65 to list like that...so I've been using ebay a lot lately and you can list a Buy It Now style auction until it sells for that (called Good 'Till Cancelled) when filling out the length of the auction. The closing fees are about the same on Amazon. 15% of the first $50 and 8% of anything over the initial $50 (I think that's right) for Buy it now auctions. It's a little less for straight up auctions

I've sold quite a bit high dollar games in the last 2 weeks through ebay, and honestly, the fees suck, but it's the cost of doing business. Where else am I going to sell a high dollar collectible condition sealed game. Here? Craigslist? Please.

[quote name='karkyco']LOL, better off selling them here? HAHAHAHAHA!!! The site is chock full of the most lowballing motherfuckers on the planet, me included! Ridiculous to think that you'd be better off selling them here. I've had shitbirds here make offers equivalent of scratched up disc only copies of 15 year old sports games for complete mint black label copies of Ico, Suikoden 2, etc.

Costs for selling games on amazon are high as fuck, but you get to set the price and prices are generally much inflated over ebay. There are pros and cons to every system, but I've found amazon to be quite useful.

Prices for listing and selling games are:

$.99 listing fee, 15% of the sale price which you set, and a $1.35 closing fee once sold - all cuts are taken after the item sells; amazon basically retains your cut for a few days until it is deposited to a linked bank account.

For rare/high value games it's fantastic, because there is very little competition and asking prices are generally insanely high, so if there is a desperate person out there who just must have that rare game you're peddling, you've got him/her over the barrel. If they're poor, cheapskate deadbeats and don't want to pay your price, they can go pound sand.[/QUOTE]Seriously, amen to that. This made me laught out loud. I thought I'd put a list of games I'm selling here. Just to avoid having to deal with the fees eBay will put on me for my games. I'm not cheap, but when it comes to eBay getting good amount of cuts (15%) for video games, I rather just post them elesewhere. Usually I do it on Craigslist though.

Lesson learned, unless I plan on trading here, it'll be hard as hell to sell them for my asking price, which aren't absurd at all. But I've gotten PMs asking if I'll let a brand new two week old game (Bayonetta for example) for $30? Yeah fucking right, I rather grind it to bits before I sell it for that much.

But I can't blame them, I try looking for deals too, hell thats why I'm here. But cmon, when I mean deals I don't mean looking like a deadbeat who owns a PS3 but can't afford more than $30. Jesus. :bomb:...

As for eBay, I don't love it, hell, I don't really even like it. But it's my only option if I want to sell some of my items fast. I sell usually electronics there, and I only get a 8% taken from the final value fee (If it sells) so it's not too painful. But for Video Games, I stay the hell away. I'll just usually end up throwing them on Craigslist instead.

LOL..this website isn't called "CHEAP ASSED GAMERS" for nothing.

I find it amusing that some people low-ball when they want something, but when they try to sell an item, they want to overprice it.

Nothing like having your cake and eating it too I suppose....

[quote name='GraftonWVDiskExchang']LOL..this website isn't called "CHEAP ASSED GAMERS" for nothing.

I find it amusing that some people low-ball when they want something, but when they try to sell an item, they want to overprice it.

Nothing like having your cake and eating it too I suppose....[/QUOTE]

That's how it works. Buy low + sell high = $_$ for you!

I just picked up some Endless Oceans I found at Walmart for $21 after tax. Trying to decided where to sell them, Amazon or eBay and it looks like both rape you. Less competition on Amazon, but, I have no feedback.

[quote name='GraftonWVDiskExchang']LOL..this website isn't called "CHEAP ASSED GAMERS" for nothing.

Nothing like having your cake and eating it too I suppose....[/QUOTE]
this made me start laughing and yes i am a cheap ass too.

[quote name='MasterSun1'] Less competition on Amazon, but, I have no feedback.[/QUOTE]
With Amazon, no one cares what your feedback is as long as you don't have bad feedback.

bread's done
Back