Can someone explain this Bitcoin foolishness to me?

GBAstar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
62 (100%)
I just read THIS article on yahoo finance and was wondering if someone could better explain the bitcoin situation to me.

Furthermore what are miners?

I searched for "Bitcoin" on eBay and saw THIS currently going for $50,000+. Are they related?

Please help me understand... I am generally intrigued and puzzled

This is all just meant to be a primer. Don't fuss over the details, I'm just trying to convey concepts. This isn't directed at you so much as anyone that's just curious and doesn't know.

Someone can explain the hard facts of bitcoin mining etc. better than I can, so I'll try to explain "THE PROBLEM" that bitcoin solves. In reality, it is currency-like in that it acts as one part currency and one part commodity though it is truly neither (much like all currency, I mean dollaz is just paper lolz amirite?). It's a sort of economic experiment when you really get down to it. The easiest way to think about it is probably bottle caps in Fallout or something of that nature. It's worth what you and I say it's worth.

I'll use the word "appears" quite often. I'll explain why at the end. Just know that conjecture is a big part of the situation right now.

The article talks about its unregulated nature and that's completely correct. It appears to be completely unregulated. And that's its greatest weakness and its greatest strength. Bitcoin appears to be a response to our world's economic situation and by that I mean increased action taken by central banks. And by that, I mean intentionally inflationary tactics used by the central banks to try to increase employment. Central banks have a dual mandate: low inflation and full employment. These two things are naturally in tension with each other so by serving one, you harm the other (theoretically). For some people that have particularly strong feelings about this (libertarians typically HATE central banks), this is heresy to even interfere. Bitcoin by its nature cannot be interfered with in the way central banks interfere with their currencies. DON'T fuck WITH MAH MONEY! So they and the computer nerds of the world were the first to jump on the bitcoin bandwagon. Next came the anti-government (and illegal crime organization) types and then came small business owners who wanted easy publicity by way of taking this new weird currency. So you started to see bitcoin make the jump from currency-currency trades (ie dollars for bitcoins) to currency for commodity/service trades (ie bitcoins for coffee). That jump paired with the publicity increased its exposure and caused more people to want to get involved in it. At somewhere around this point, market makers (ie professional traders) started to take notice and make moves. All of these things are positive pressure that increase the value of bitcoin. Since January, critical mass was hit and demand exploded as the financial world realized this was their wet dream: a tradeable thing whose price could be easily manipulated via large positions. It has no natural "price" and so with imagination being the only barrier to pricing, you can basically do whatever you want. How much does a cup of coffee cost? If we asked 10 random people, we would get an answer with a relatively small amount of deviation. If we asked how many British pounds we got for a dollar, we'd get a relatively decent range. If we asked the same 10 how much a bitcoin was worth, they'd have no idea.

tldr: It's ripe for attack.

If you put in a massive buy order and got it satisfied quickly, you could cause the market to jump massively and literally buy your way to more value. That had been happening until, oh, about yesterday when the play flipped. The sell side vultures moved in and did the same thing in the opposite direction. They shorted the trade via massive sell offers and crushed its value.

And that's the problem with unregulated currency. That's one of the major reasons we went off the gold standard and have central banks. Could you imagine if the US Dollar was swinging in value literally hundreds of percent from day to day? If it was worth 4 times what it was in January? No one could afford American goods overseas! Or if it crashed 41% in one day? We couldn't afford anything imported anymore!

So yea. The other shoe. The reason I say "appears" is because nobody knows who actually created the currency and who or how it is maintained. It could be me or Columbian drug cartels or the Illuminati. Nobody knows who they are or what their true intentions are. Scary?

fuck yes.

It's actually a really good experiment to be honest, a fair amount could be learned from it. I doubt many people will, but the opportunity is there.

I tried reading about it last night on Wikipedia and I just couldn't figure out what the fuck I was reading. There's something about the supply of bitcoin being increased geometrically but only up to 21 billion bitcoins.

Aside from those goofy economics which, I assume, are to combat inflation (great job on that bubble that burst yesterday) I'm still not exactly sure what's going on with the issuance. There's no issuing bank but there is a website to buy it from? No one knows who started bitcoin? There's just way too much craziness going on, that bubble burst yesterday was crazy as well. I was literally reading something about bitcoin on reddit yesterday morning and then last night I saw that it had absolutely crashed. Just like that it went all the way down and no one is exactly sure what caused (although some link it to a giveaway that happened on reddit but the scarier theory is that it's linked to a DDoS attack).

I find it academically fascinating much in the same way the economy of Eve fascinates me. Am I getting involved in either one of them? Not a damn chance...

It's just too easy to pump and dump basically. If many large quantities were bought it could drive up the price/value, and then of course as has already happened, people will sell sell sell, which causes the price/value of the coins to drop like a rock. It's completely open to manipulation from what I can tell.

I was sucked in by the hype and lost some money after the crash. However, I am not selling my Bitcoins. I think in the long term it is a good investment. People are losing faith in traditional banking systems and the adoption of Bitcoin is spreading fast. In a few years everyone will be using it.

If I understand it correctly, the way you get Bitcoins is basically just making your computer do nonsense work. The creators knew they wanted to start a new currency, and like any currency, you have to have a way for people to earn it. Nobody was going to work for Bitcoins, since they weren't worth anything yet. So they devised a system where you could 'mine' Bitcoins by having your computer calculate hashes and do somewhat labor intensive work. This way, Bitcoins would be slowly released to the public at a steady rate. This way, if the Bitcoins ever had any value, they would maintain that value as the market wouldn't be flooded with them.

[quote name='Kir0']I was sucked in by the hype and lost some money after the crash. However, I am not selling my Bitcoins. I think in the long term it is a good investment. People are losing faith in traditional banking systems and the adoption of Bitcoin is spreading fast. In a few years everyone will be using it.[/QUOTE]
Yeah and silver will hit $100 an ounce too.;)

[quote name='Access_Denied']If I understand it correctly, the way you get Bitcoins is basically just making your computer do nonsense work. The creators knew they wanted to start a new currency, and like any currency, you have to have a way for people to earn it. Nobody was going to work for Bitcoins, since they weren't worth anything yet. So they devised a system where you could 'mine' Bitcoins by having your computer calculate hashes and do somewhat labor intensive work. This way, Bitcoins would be slowly released to the public at a steady rate. This way, if the Bitcoins ever had any value, they would maintain that value as the market wouldn't be flooded with them.[/QUOTE]

I get the idea... and as CLAK said (I can't believe I'm agreeing with him....) it is a good idea and experiment...

but I don't think you can call this an experiment anymore.

I mean people are paying REDICULOUS amount of money (well USD) on eBay for these "mining" machines. They are paying SILLY amounts of money (again USD) for physical "tokens" that have peel away stickers that reveal codes for one bit coin.

People are banking on this becoming a long term option.

But when I hear "Bitcoin" the words "Illuminati" "big foot" and "ponzi" come to mind.

It's a rather interesting concept. However, to me, bitcoins feel like a virtual beanie baby rather than a legit currency at the moment. People seem to be using it primarily as an investment rather than a currency and that's a bit worrying.

I actually invented bitcoins as an elaborate scheme to help me find people on the internet to make fun of. But the experiment got loose and has begun to feed on the innocent in the dead of night. If any of you are experienced in silverwork, marksmanship, tracking, and/or dirigible piloting, please contact me for a job offer, that we may finally put this wretched beast to ground.

If you're planning to use silver bullets and/or arrowheads, you might want to pick a cheaper metal. :rofl:

Silver was good enough for William Jennings Bryan, god dammit, and it's good enough for me.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, actual dirigible ownership is not necessary for prospective pilots, but it is a plus.

Let me put it this way, you got enough tree plantin' money to pay for all these fancy silver munitions? Or are you planning to pull a Chris Rock and take these theoretical rounds back?

[quote name='The Crotch']I actually invented bitcoins as an elaborate scheme to help me find people on the internet to make fun of. But the experiment got loose and has begun to feed on the innocent in the dead of night. If any of you are experienced in silverwork, marksmanship, tracking, and/or dirigible piloting, please contact me for a job offer, that we may finally put this wretched beast to ground.[/QUOTE]
I've got three out of four covered there, good sir!

If anyone cares:

The other obvious way to make money is to cause a stampede. Since this is such a low information, high volatility spot, if you can cause the price of a commodity to "stampede", you can either buy low and push up or sell high and push down.
Attackers wait until the price of Bitcoins reaches a certain value, sell, destabilize the exchange, wait for everybody to panic-sell their Bitcoins, wait for the price to drop to a certain amount, then stop the attack and start buying as much as they can. Repeat this two or three times like we saw over the past few days and they profit.'"
A good analogy would be shorting (making profit if a stock goes down) a bank stock then attacking the bank so that every single branch is closed, causing panic among the depositors, which causes a panic among stockholders.

Some more reading for those inclined:

How The Bitcoin Collapse Stacks Up Against History's Ugliest Market Crashes

“Taming the bubble”: investors bet on Bitcoin via derivatives markets

Bitcoin Has No Intrinsic Value, And Will Never Be A Threat To Fiat Currency

And finally, a chart of Wednesday's Bitcoin bloodbath vs. the biggest market crashes in American history:

bitcoin-market-crash-comparison-1.png

I remember talking to my friend about a year about it as we were walking around. Saying how I thought it was interesting and talking about the silk road, etc. I guess I should of bought some up then and sold when it got to 100, 150, 200, etc. hah

I'm obviously not Warren Buffet or any type of investor, but I guess with all the news on this it will probably recover up and then drop a few times.

From over 250 USD per bitcoin to under 75 in the span of 4 days and it potentially could get worse. I would really hate to be one of those folks that threw all of their money onto the gravy train right as it derailed.

[quote name='ced']From over 250 USD per bitcoin to under 75 in the span of 4 days and it potentially could get worse. I would really hate to be one of those folks that threw all of their money onto the gravy train right as it derailed.[/QUOTE]

Apparently Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs were getting involved in bitcoin trading to a certain extent, fucking banks never learn their lesson...http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/01/traders-bitcoin-idUSL6E8ET5K620120401

I'm just glad this thing crashed now before it got much bigger and created problems for the entire economy when it crashed. Right now it was such a niche investment that it doesn't seem to be affecting the larger markets.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Apparently Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs were getting involved in bitcoin trading to a certain extent, fucking banks never learn their lesson...http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/01/traders-bitcoin-idUSL6E8ET5K620120401

I'm just glad this thing crashed now before it got much bigger and created problems for the entire economy when it crashed. Right now it was such a niche investment that it doesn't seem to be affecting the larger markets.[/QUOTE]

I beg to differ. They learned that they could fuck around, make shitloads of money, destrot their ecosphere, and cash out clean and free.

[quote name='dohdough']I beg to differ. They learned that they could fuck around, make shitloads of money, destrot their ecosphere, and cash out clean and free.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough...

[quote name='GBAstar']Never Mind Facebook; Winklevoss Twins Rule in Digital Money

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/big-investors-emerge-bitcoin-gets-191114595.html

The Winklevoss twins? Well that settles it... I"m converting to bitcoins.[/QUOTE]

:rofl: I was just coming here to post this; these guys just can't catch a break, can they?

I mean sure they claim to have bought at $10 but still being the estimated single biggest owners in a crashing market has to sting a little...

You know Zuckerberg wants to call them up and just ask "How are those bitcoins working out for ya?" :rofl:

But the fact that major banks are involved in this, I just can't believe that. The people who should know better than anyone seem completely clueless.

What really interests me is the crash.happened right around or after Glenn Beck did a live radio rant on the danger of bitcoin......did anyone else know about that? Odd timing!

So my aunt called me wanting to know if I would help her get into bitcoins. I told her no. Every time something like this is on the news people get alk excited thinking they can make a quick fortune.

A crash in a low float, unregulated, basically experimental asset that had gone completely parabolic over the past few months? Who could have predicted that?

The ideas behind bitcoin are interesting on several levels but anyone actually trading this stuff at this point in time is just asking for pain.

I'm all for a little speculation when investing but trading bitcoin right now is just pure gambling.

Well there will always be a market as long as people can use it to buy drugs and other illegal things.

[quote name='The Crotch']I actually invented bitcoins as an elaborate scheme to help me find people on the internet to make fun of. But the experiment got loose and has begun to feed on the innocent in the dead of night. If any of you are experienced in silverwork, marksmanship, tracking, and/or dirigible piloting, please contact me for a job offer, that we may finally put this wretched beast to ground.[/QUOTE]

Dirigible piloting you say? Here's my resume:

zsbnS.jpg

As you can see, I look the part, which is really all you need to do it, right?

bread's done
Back