Can someone tell me why in the world people think clowns are scary?

ITDEFX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
People say its because of that movie, Killer clowns from outer space. Like I said before if your stupid enough to watch a movie about killer clowns from outer space and get scared by them, then its your fault. Discuss.

I've heard it has something to do with their faces. They have a painted on happy face, but they still act sad or cry sometimes. The emotions they portray are confusing to some children and it can scare them.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']I caught my Pop watching "It" when I was like...5, I think. Since then, clowns have scared the shit out of me.[/QUOTE]

Yup that pretty much did it for me.

Ive always thought it was retarded to be afraid of clowns when you are an adult. i can understand being a little kid in a haunted house or something, but i will never understand people having a fear of clowns.
If you think clown fear is dumb, my gf wont even look at a picture of ET, how retarded is that?

clown_spooky.jpg

[quote name='ITDEFX']People say its because of that movie, Killer clowns from outer space. Like I said before if your stupid enough to watch a movie about killer clowns from outer space and get scared by them, then its your fault. Discuss.[/QUOTE]

Um.

Same reason people get scared of all sorts of shit.

Snakes. Planes. Snakes on planes. Open spaces. Heights. The dark. Dying alone. Germs. Certain kinds of sausages.

[quote name='DeathDealer']Ive always thought it was retarded to be afraid of clowns when you are an adult. i can understand being a little kid in a haunted house or something, but i will never understand people having a fear of clowns.
If you think clown fear is dumb, my gf wont even look at a picture of ET, how retarded is that?[/QUOTE]

paint an ET mural on her bedroom wall and lock her in. that'll fix her.

[quote name='DeathDealer']Ive always thought it was retarded to be afraid of clowns when you are an adult. i can understand being a little kid in a haunted house or something, but i will never understand people having a fear of clowns.
If you think clown fear is dumb, my gf wont even look at a picture of ET, how retarded is that?[/QUOTE]

my ex was afraid of clowns........in the 4 years we were together, i never figured out why...

[quote name='onetrackmind']

If that doesnt creep you out in one way or another then you sir are a bigger man than i.[/QUOTE]

it's a fat guy dressed as a clown on a bike. Nothing scary there. Unless you're afraid of fat guys.

(fat clown on bike) The man himself looks scary, he has a wicked look on his face.

I'm also tired of people using the same excuse for clown fear: "I saw It". C'mon, where's the people who got screamed at by clowns when they were young, or had a drunken clown father?

[quote name='Mookyjooky']
clown_spooky.jpg
[/quote]

In one of my classes once, there was this one girl that was EXTREMELY afraid of clowns. She'd cry and hide her face at any little clown. One day we were doing this power point thing, and we all had to save it to our schools server...So I opened hers up because you could basically get into anyones and I posted that picture in the middle of one of her power points. And when she was presenting hers she went crazy!

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad."

-Jack Handy

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']In one of my classes once, there was this one girl that was EXTREMELY afraid of clowns. She'd cry and hide her face at any little clown. One day we were doing this power point thing, and we all had to save it to our schools server...So I opened hers up because you could basically get into anyones and I posted that picture in the middle of one of her power points. And when she was presenting hers she went crazy![/QUOTE]

i bet shes in theroipy for this

I just hate clowns. Not scared of 'em, I just loathe them with an unbridled passion. They're not funny. Who the fuck has ever laughed at a clown? And yet they still exist, all around us. They're a plague on humanity.

I don't see how anyone can be scared of a fucking clown. My dumbass ex girlfriend was, but hey, she was an idiot, so go figure.

It's definately It that ruined clowns for me, though they were never funny to begin with. Also, the clown in Scary Movie 2....yeah that one was pretty bad as well.

Clowns in and of themselves don't freak me out, it's when a clown acts distinctly un-clownish that I start to get the heebie-jeebies. For example, once at a fair when I was 16, I saw a clown making balloon animals for children. Visions of an army of inflated dinosaur armies dancing through my head, I got in line behind the little boy who wanted a hat and the little girl who wanted a bracelet. Chuckling to myself about their short-sightedness (after all, what good is a ballon hat or a balloon bracelet against a balloon army of velociraptors?), I awaited my turn with the painted man. I don't remember his name, but no doubt it was something clownish. The clown giggled and joked with the children, his voice impossibly high-strung. When my turn finally rolled around, I was the only person in line. I had barely opened my mouth when the clown stopped me. He then proceeded to tell me, in a normal voice, the voice of a man in his mid-40s who wanted to go to technical school and make something of himself, but instead is paid to suck helium all day for ungrateful little bastards, that I was too old for this and besides, he was on break. He then proceeded to plop on to a chair, let out an enormous fart, and unwrap a Subway sandwich. I didn't stick around to see what he did with the sandwich, but I can bet it wasn't anything zany.

[quote name='AdamInPlaidum']Clowns in and of themselves don't freak me out, it's when a clown acts distinctly un-clownish that I start to get the heebie-jeebies. For example, once at a fair when I was 16, I saw a clown making balloon animals for children. Visions of an army of inflated dinosaur armies dancing through my head, I got in line behind the little boy who wanted a hat and the little girl who wanted a bracelet. Chuckling to myself about their short-sightedness (after all, what good is a ballon hat or a balloon bracelet against a balloon army of velociraptors?), I awaited my turn with the painted man. I don't remember his name, but no doubt it was something clownish. The clown giggled and joked with the children, his voice impossibly high-strung. When my turn finally rolled around, I was the only person in line. I had barely opened my mouth when the clown stopped me. He then proceeded to tell me, in a normal voice, the voice of a man in his mid-40s who wanted to go to technical school and make something of himself, but instead is paid to suck helium all day for ungrateful little bastards, that I was too old for this and besides, he was on break. He then proceeded to plop on to a chair, let out an enormous fart, and unwrap a Subway sandwich. I didn't stick around to see what he did with the sandwich, but I can bet it wasn't anything zany.[/QUOTE]

That's how all clowns are. That's what makes Krusty such a great character.

EDIT:

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=XX-oe1srz_4[/media]

Holy shit, almost forgot about this.

[quote name='javeryh']
krustyeyes.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Krusty doesn't scare me....but everytime I see him, I want to beat the shit out of him because of that laugh.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Took ya'll long enough to mention Gacy. And heres Pogo for ya, kiddies!!

150px-Johnwaynegacyclown.jpg

GACY.jpg
[/QUOTE]

nah not scary...but i feel like kicking his ass right about now..........but of course he's dead.

Coulrophobia -- the fear of clowns. Folks, let's think, for a minute, what the hell a phobia is. it's a fear. An irrational fear. Why am I afraid of spiders? They're tiny and they ("they" being the ones around here) aren't going to do any significant damage to my health. Yet, when I see them, my brain tells me to be afriad. The answer to this thread's original question is simple: phobia's.

[quote name='WinnieThePujols']Coulrophobia -- the fear of clowns. Folks, let's think, for a minute, what the hell a phobia is. it's a fear. An irrational fear. Why am I afraid of spiders? They're tiny and they ("they" being the ones around here) aren't going to do any significant damage to my health. Yet, when I see them, my brain tells me to be afriad. The answer to this thread's original question is simple: phobia's.[/QUOTE]

still, the question hasn't be answered.... so far NO ONE has told me a real reason for being afraid of a clown. So you watch the movie "IT"....... I mean has anyone been personally terrorized by a clown where one came up to you can try to rob you at gun point or tried to run you over with his clown car?

I think you should be more worried about those people at amusement parks wearing those big character suits (like Goofy, or Mickey and so on) because you don't know who the hell is in there.

Being afraid of clowns is like being afraid of pan-handlers. They both dress down for their jobs, both are greasy, and both of their jobs involve making people feel uncomfotable.

And of course, they'll both slit your throat if you are alone with them and turn your back.

[quote name='Stoneage']

And of course, they'll both slit your throat if you are alone with them and turn your back.[/QUOTE]

someone has a little bit of an overactive imagination :)

[quote name='ITDEFX']still, the question hasn't be answered.... so far NO ONE has told me a real reason for being afraid of a clown. So you watch the movie "IT"....... I mean has anyone been personally terrorized by a clown where one came up to you can try to rob you at gun point or tried to run you over with his clown car?

I think you should be more worried about those people at amusement parks wearing those big character suits (like Goofy, or Mickey and so on) because you don't know who the hell is in there.[/QUOTE]

Fear is irrational.

That is the goddamn point.

Why do you not get that?

Some people fear (insert race here).

That doesn't make it rational.

That makes it fear.

I hope you get the point by now.

[quote name='Stoneage']
And of course, they'll both slit your throat if you are alone with them and turn your back.[/quote]

So, you're saying you're a Gacy survivor...?

[quote name='Strell']Fear is irrational.

That is the goddamn point.

Why do you not get that?

Some people fear (insert race here).

That doesn't make it rational.

That makes it fear.

I hope you get the point by now.[/QUOTE]

One of my biggest fears is the fear of spiders. They are small, quick, and hard to see if they're jumping around a lot. A lot of them around here can also really fuck you up if they bite you, and you can sometimes never even feel the bite(brown recluse being the most common). See, I just explained a big fear of mine. It's not hard.

And I did know someone afraid of black people. He lived on a farm or something all his life and then moved to St. Louis. Holy shit, he was terrified. He said it was because they just looked like deformed white people (as wrong as that sounds), and it was something he's barely seen before. He's just afraid of them because they were far outside the "norm" for him, and it took a while for him to get used to it.

[quote name='SMMM']One of my biggest fears is the fear of spiders. They are small, quick, and hard to see if they're jumping around a lot. A lot of them around here can also really fuck you up if they bite you, and you can sometimes never even feel the bite(brown recluse being the most common). See, I just explained a big fear of mine. It's not hard.[/QUOTE]

A clown can kill you.

And probably will.

There you go.

[quote name='Strell']A clown can kill you.

And probably will.

There you go.[/QUOTE]

well, there were a lot of good reasons given in this thread already.

1. The fact that the clown persona is a mask over the person's real personality
2. The fact that even with a happy face painted on, it can still display other emotions, which just looks unnatural, and thus, scary.
3. The fact that a clown can kill you and probably will

Those are all great reasons.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']So, you're saying you're a Gacy survivor...?[/QUOTE]
Well, I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago, and was a kid....maybe too young.....when he got arrested, so technically yes.....I am a Gacy survivor. Nothing like a local-ish serial killer to get you thinking about people buried under driveways and basements as a youngster. It really robs you of youth quickly.

[quote name='ITDEFX']still, the question hasn't be answered.... so far NO ONE has told me a real reason for being afraid of a clown. So you watch the movie "IT"....... I mean has anyone been personally terrorized by a clown where one came up to you can try to rob you at gun point or tried to run you over with his clown car?[/QUOTE]

What is there to comprehend?

I told you already -- a phobia is irrational.

Do you know what that word means? Dictionary.com defines irrational as something that is "not endowed with reason."

Essentially what you're asking me to do is rationalize an irrational situation.

So why are people scared of clowns? Because phobia's exist. It's psychological. The reasoning behind it? None. There is no reason. That's why it constitutes as being a phobia.

bread's done
Back