[Canada] EB Games, Blockbuster Video, and Future Shop Trade-in Values List

Firestorm

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
Update 3: The new website is http://www.tivs.ca thanks to neksus!

Update 2:

Lone Prodigy is awesome and made a new one: http://ebtradeinvalues.scribblewiki.com/Main_Page

Update:
Please update the wiki yourself. The new wiki is http://www.citgocapital.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

RFDers use/edit it as well.

Alright, the Americans have a wiki page with all the EB Games trade-in values and I figured we might as well start one for the Canadian EB. It's good reference for if we ever want to sell our soul or maybe take advantage of loopholes in their promos! I'll try and keep the list updated as much as possible.

If you have info to add, please do so in the following format:
*Game Name - $# - Month Day, Year
For example:
*Sonic Mega Collection - $8 - September 29th, 2006.

Group them by system please!

Wiki Link: http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/EB_trade_in_values_-_Canada

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if it is a problem with my iphone, but the tivs.ca/mobile version doesn't work at all for me. I really liked using this site but the site, but now I can't access the normal version on my phone. Perhaps better mobile intergration?

[quote name='cm matty']i'd like to see the date included on the printout page, possibly w/ an option to sort by date.

the ability to sort by column in the non-printout view could be useful too, though w/ the printout form, it's not really necessary.[/quote]

Date on the printout is tricky - where do I put it? I've only got so much room to work with (7.5 inches...)

Also, if you click on the title of the column on the regular page it re-sorts it for you...

[quote name='snuter']I don't know if it is a problem with my iphone, but the tivs.ca/mobile version doesn't work at all for me. I really liked using this site but the site, but now I can't access the normal version on my phone. Perhaps better mobile intergration?[/quote]

Ran into a parsing error once the 09 year hit, and have not yet updated it.

As for the tivs...I'm working on it lol
I want registration to be mandatory before you can do that, and I'm working on a way to moderate it so people can't just spam random values.

[quote name='neksus']Date on the printout is tricky - where do I put it? I've only got so much room to work with (7.5 inches...)

Also, if you click on the title of the column on the regular page it re-sorts it for you...

[/quote]

huh. i had no idea you could sort already. i guess i never tried clicking the column headings. never mind then :)

if you wanted to add it the the printout page, would it be possible to shorten the length of the 'title' column? most games' titles don't go past half way when looking at it on my computer (though admittedly, i'm only looking at a list with 2 columns - game and eb tiv). maybe have the option of picking up to x number of columns (from a certain list - eb tiv, eb date, bbv date, bbv tiv, etc). i dunno. just a suggestion...it does sound like a kind of complex way of doing things now that i read it back.

Jan 23/09 @ eb games

Madden 09 for 360: $30

surprised it was actually worth that much since tivs.ca showed it was 20 from a month ago.

My ideas:

- Second that the printout should be based on date. At the very least, some sort of filter "only include items less than X days old"
- A submission form is tricky since how do you trust the data coming in? (And please please please make sure you parameterize the inputs to prevent a SQL injection attack). Are there trusted users who can input prices without review? This would be a major feature that would require its own development.
- Search by UPC. The reason? Someone on the "mobile" site might have a barcode-scanner utility for their phone/pda. It's be nice to pick up a game, scan it, and get the tiv right away. Plus the UPC gives you a good primary key for your database. =)

As for the public input, you'd probably want it on some sort of "reliability" system:

0 = Don't trust this price at all
10 = Take it to the bank, Tony!

Every time a price is reported, that price gets +1, even from an anonymous source. However, you limit the highest level a "reliability" score can reach from anonymous or new users. Say, 6 = "worth a try". If a 7th anonymous user tries to submit, it stays at 6. That should help the system from being flooded with bad prices.

A trusted user (someone you know or who has been registered for a long time or has contributed enough trusted prices) can push a price beyond the threshold, say up to 9 = "we're 99% sure".

A super user (you, or any other admin, or an user who has earned their way up the ladder and has been endorsed by another super user) can push it up to 10.

You can also have users submit a "this price is wrong" report by submitting the actual price. Again, let the thresholds matter. An anonymous user can only submit a price correction to any price that is at the "untrusted" stage (5 or less). When it hits 6-9, only "trusted" users can modify it. When it hits 10, only a super-user can modify it.

Add a second, time-sensitive value can shift around the thresholds. If a game hasn't had a "confirmation" to the existing price submitted to it within x days (7?), it becomes "stale". At that point, the highest score it can have is, say 9. At that point 0-5 is "trusted" and 6-9 is "super".

After 14 days it becomes "moldy". The max score is 5, and only trusted or super users can modify it.

After 21 days, it becomes "outdated" and is kept for historical purposes only. Users should not trust the price. It stays at 0.

If a user who can submit a price confirms or updates the price, the moldy counter resets.

If this is all set up right, then it becomes fairly self-sustaining. Anonymous users can only contribute so much, and the amount of damage they can do is minimized. Some intelligent checks will keep a single IP from radically changing a price, or submitting too many prices at once. Registered, confirmed users who consistently contribute correct prices (as corroborated by other registered users or super users) will automatically be promoted to "trusted".

Any super user who fully trusts a trusted user, they can be promoted to super. In the end, you won't need to do anything except site back, relax, and score chicks. =)

(If you need help working out the database / logic, let me know. This is what I do for a living =) )

[quote name='halcyon1234']My ideas:

Any super user who fully trusts a trusted user, they can be promoted to super. In the end, you won't need to do anything except site back, relax, and score chicks. =)

(If you need help working out the database / logic, let me know. This is what I do for a living =) )[/quote]

....I said to make his life EASIER....My GAWD, man. Think I'm bleeding outta my eyes..Haven't dealt with code for years and for some reason I was bound and determined to try and remember/understand what you're saying...lol.

So yes, neksus..What halcyon1234 said. *nods sagely, then keels over*

[quote name='janlazer']....I said to make his life EASIER....My GAWD, man. Think I'm bleeding outta my eyes..Haven't dealt with code for years and for some reason I was bound and determined to try and remember/understand what you're saying...lol.

So yes, neksus..What halcyon1234 said. *nods sagely, then keels over*[/quote]

lol-- well, I did say a "trusted input" system would be a major overhaul.

For now, I'd be happy with just being able to filter the printout by "prices x days old or newer". Even if it's just a checkbox that says "only include prices that are less than a month old".

Urg, just realized-- which price? The FS price? The EB price?

Yeah, having the date printed beside each price PLUS having the filter would be nice.

[quote name='halcyon1234']My ideas:

- Second that the printout should be based on date. At the very least, some sort of filter "only include items less than X days old"
- A submission form is tricky since how do you trust the data coming in? (And please please please make sure you parameterize the inputs to prevent a SQL injection attack). Are there trusted users who can input prices without review? This would be a major feature that would require its own development.
- Search by UPC. The reason? Someone on the "mobile" site might have a barcode-scanner utility for their phone/pda. It's be nice to pick up a game, scan it, and get the tiv right away. Plus the UPC gives you a good primary key for your database. =)

As for the public input, you'd probably want it on some sort of "reliability" system:

0 = Don't trust this price at all
10 = Take it to the bank, Tony!

Every time a price is reported, that price gets +1, even from an anonymous source. However, you limit the highest level a "reliability" score can reach from anonymous or new users. Say, 6 = "worth a try". If a 7th anonymous user tries to submit, it stays at 6. That should help the system from being flooded with bad prices.

A trusted user (someone you know or who has been registered for a long time or has contributed enough trusted prices) can push a price beyond the threshold, say up to 9 = "we're 99% sure".

A super user (you, or any other admin, or an user who has earned their way up the ladder and has been endorsed by another super user) can push it up to 10.

You can also have users submit a "this price is wrong" report by submitting the actual price. Again, let the thresholds matter. An anonymous user can only submit a price correction to any price that is at the "untrusted" stage (5 or less). When it hits 6-9, only "trusted" users can modify it. When it hits 10, only a super-user can modify it.

Add a second, time-sensitive value can shift around the thresholds. If a game hasn't had a "confirmation" to the existing price submitted to it within x days (7?), it becomes "stale". At that point, the highest score it can have is, say 9. At that point 0-5 is "trusted" and 6-9 is "super".

After 14 days it becomes "moldy". The max score is 5, and only trusted or super users can modify it.

After 21 days, it becomes "outdated" and is kept for historical purposes only. Users should not trust the price. It stays at 0.

If a user who can submit a price confirms or updates the price, the moldy counter resets.

If this is all set up right, then it becomes fairly self-sustaining. Anonymous users can only contribute so much, and the amount of damage they can do is minimized. Some intelligent checks will keep a single IP from radically changing a price, or submitting too many prices at once. Registered, confirmed users who consistently contribute correct prices (as corroborated by other registered users or super users) will automatically be promoted to "trusted".

(If you need help working out the database / logic, let me know. This is what I do for a living =) )[/quote]

UPC eh...I don't have the energy to search these all down :p

I do have the FS internal SKU on most of the games that I tracked down before they locked the system, which I planned on using - I had even written an automated price-grabbing script to update them at will - but then they blocked all external IPs...didn't help they changed the page, either.
If I had time to test/create a new script, I could simply get people to run it from an FS computer, but I don't have the access to an FS comp to create the script.

The idea is to have all users be allowed to submit price changes.

Let's say you want to report that The Last Remnant just went down to $7. This would not reflect until a moderator/admin approved the status update. I was thinking before of simply doing what you said - have it self moderating, so prices would only update once x users said it was so, but that could take forever to updates to actually appear. Also, anytime a game crosses the threshold for promos, such as $8 for EB or $10 for FS, it would get flagged so it gets first priority. In doing this flagging, once it was confirmed/approved, registered users could receive daily text messages/emails on new games that do and/or no longer qualify.

There will be a points system involved. This project is taking up alot of time and bandwidth, and the points will stand-in for people willing to contribute. If you don't feel like phoning EB and submitting prices - you'll have to pay to get the good features. It won't be expensive - I'm thinking maybe $.25 a week - but keep in mind you don't have to purchase points, if you update the site you're helping and will accumulate them that way. Also, different features will cost different amounts of points - so if all you ever do is print out stuff, that's the only thing you'd want, meaning you'd have to contribute less. I understand it's all people trying to save money and hunt for deals using this site, and that is where the points system came in. I don't feel it's fair for me to have to pay for this which is why I'm making it pretty cheap. The ads aren't really working too well :p

I've just finished the feature for users to add games to their list of owned games, with options on whether they're keepers or willing to get rid of them, and a page which automatically calculates totals of trade in values at the three places, which places you should trade them, and which deals would work best with your collection/games you're willing to part with.

For what it's worth, I think the online version of tivs.ca only displays titles that have been updated in the past two months. Also, I added another feature to the "print" page earlier today before I posted that request for input, as I'd received a few requests to sort the printing page differently.

I'll add another date option to the printout page due to high demand - but you'll only get to choose it from one of the locations.

neksus, is it possible to allow full viewing of the site on a phone >_>;; It's a little annoying not to be able to see most of the content on my iPhone when I want something other than EB's $8+ items =P

That's coming, too. Currently, the most time I get to work on it is at school - I have a 2 and a half hour break Monday/Wednesday/Friday and pretty much work on this backend. I have a few profs greatly interested in iPhone development, so I may even get an exclusive iPhone site running by the end of the school year. That said, I think I'm just going to parse the iPhone page as the regular webpage. I haven't been praised once by iPhone users, so I figure they can all have the regular one :p

The FS I go to just lets me browse through all the TIV's for all games... I wish EB and BBV did that...

Thanks for the TIVS.ca site, that's pretty handy.

[quote name='dtp11']The FS I go to just lets me browse through all the TIV's for all games... I wish EB and BBV did that...

Thanks for the TIVS.ca site, that's pretty handy.[/quote]

can you print/save/email the page?

photograph?
video? lol

[quote name='neksus']That's coming, too. Currently, the most time I get to work on it is at school - I have a 2 and a half hour break Monday/Wednesday/Friday and pretty much work on this backend. I have a few profs greatly interested in iPhone development, so I may even get an exclusive iPhone site running by the end of the school year. That said, I think I'm just going to parse the iPhone page as the regular webpage. I haven't been praised once by iPhone users, so I figure they can all have the regular one :p[/quote]

Forget parsing-- why not making into an iPhone app? Put it on the store for $5. If the iPhone users want a perfectly yummy interface, why not make a bit of "support the site" change off of it?

Either make it a live-to-site UI, or allow them to download a weekly zip of the data.

$4.99 wouldn't be good. $0.99 is the impulse buy range. iPhone pricing is very, very tricky to get right.

(I'd pay up to $1.99, more because it's neksus than anything really). Make it $1.99 with it on sale for $0.99 for the first week. Then I'll make a topic on RFD about it being a 1 week sale. $_$

[quote name='Firestorm']Then I'll make a topic on RFD about it being a 1 week sale. $_$[/quote]

lololoLOLFTWBBQ! Maybe it's just late, but that comment is 100% weapons grade awesome.

Not sure the exact values, but I can confirm that Madden 07 (Wii), Rayman Ravings Rabbids (the first one, Wii) and Crackdown qualify for the trade 3 get one free. I just traded them in for Skate 2 yesterday at EB.

EBGames
PS3:
Prince Of Persia - $35
Guitar Hero: World Tour - $35
Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock - $22

Employee asked if I wanted to do a trade 3 get 1 free deal after exposing these values to me, I didn't know if he was joking or being serious. :roll:

[quote name='halcyon1234']lololoLOLFTWBBQ! Maybe it's just late, but that comment is 100% weapons grade awesome.[/quote]

Aw but now they KNOW you're trying to screw with 'em, they're gonna flashmob Apple Support and say how since this is a conspiracy to make money they have consumer rights to get it for free.

Hear that RFD? Free!

If anything this'll be free press XD.

Also does that FS equation still work? I don't wanna waste time visiting my FS cousins in Mississauga and having the TIVS suck.

There was a glitch in the newly added "date sorting" feature of the print out page which has been resolved. All dates now show accordingly :)
Do you guys still think it's important to have the actual date it was last updated shown, even if it's filtering things that match your requests anyway?

Ah that slipped my mind.
kathos, you should still be able to use the portal, no? If you don't have it I can send you the link :p
Only works from FS terminals now so it's useless to me :(

[quote name='neksus']Ah that slipped my mind.
kathos, you should still be able to use the portal, no? If you don't have it I can send you the link :p
Only works from FS terminals now so it's useless to me :([/quote]

Oh snap really? PM me that, I'd be great to see some TIVs without calling Dixie/Dundas and arguing with them that I am actually calling from a FS ~_~.

As of 1/27:

Dark Sector (X360) - EBGames $2 / Blockbuster $4.50
Hellboy (X360) - EBGames $3 / Blockbuster $20
Lord of the Rings: Conquest (X360) - EBGames $30

Burnout 3 Takedown (Original Xbox) - EBGames $3
Silent Hill 4 (Original Xbox) - $EBGames $0.25

[quote name='kathos']Oh snap really? PM me that, I'd be great to see some TIVs without calling Dixie/Dundas and arguing with them that I am actually calling from a FS ~_~.[/quote]

Sent.

[quote name='Bencherstyle']at EB,

Quake wars PS3 = 2.XX
GHA ps3 = 2.XX

...kinda expected.[/quote]

I would have laughed if GHA ps3 was > $10.

"I'll buy every copy of GHA you have"

"Here you go".

"Thanks. Now one a completely separate note, I have some games I'd like to trade in..."

The funniest thing would be that they'd go right back on the shelf with a $44.99 price sticker. =)

[quote name='halcyon1234']I would have laughed if GHA ps3 was > $10.

"I'll buy every copy of GHA you have"

"Here you go".

"Thanks. Now one a completely separate note, I have some games I'd like to trade in..."

The funniest thing would be that they'd go right back on the shelf with a $44.99 price sticker. =)[/quote]

LOL! i was talking about the exact thing with the manager at EB. ( i think she was the manager, she was there alone, and im pretty sure...)

but anyways, i've talked to her for like 1 hour cuz i had nothing better to do, and she told me all about people coming in buying Guitar hero A, and other 10 dollar games and trading it in at Futureshop. she told me that Futureshop actually called her and asked the price for these games,

so i told her that i was looking for those 10 dollar games, and she kindly checked the Trade in Credit for them. allmost all were 2 bux.
but apprently, there is this "only day only deal" sometimes, and she took adventage of that and resold it to her own store.....

kinda funny :p and she was super nice.

EDIT : i forgot to mention that she was pretty ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 28/09

360:
-Lego Indiana Jones = FS $18, EB =$2
-Farcry 2 = EB= $20

PS3
-Enemy Territory = FS $22.80 (had them search "quake" for PS3, EB= $2
-Tiger Woods 09 = FS $18, EB = $20

[quote name='Bencherstyle']but anyways, i've talked to her for like 1 hour cuz i had nothing better to do...

EDIT : i forgot to mention that she was pretty ;)[/quote]

We probably got the hint ;)

[quote name='Bencherstyle']Just Letting you guys know that i talked to a Pretty Girl ;)[/quote]

Of course, now everyone is going to wonder which EB that was at. (There's something you won't find at tivs.ca. =) )

[quote name='halcyon1234']Of course, now everyone is going to wonder which EB that was at. (There's something you won't find at tivs.ca. =) )[/quote]

hey man, not to hoard or anything, but i aint tell you nothin'!

[quote name='TripleQ']FS:

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars PS3 $3.60

Don't post this on RFD, maybe all the horders will get screwed ;)[/quote]

Aw shucks...

You guys should be ashamed of yourselve!

Now HDKen will be stuck all all those games...you guy are evil cause you knew about the drop in TIV and didnt tell him!

In other news...
I hope FS bans him.....

Got a couple interesting ones here:

Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway (360) - $15
Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (360) - $20
Crackdown (360) - $10
Army of Two (360) - $15
Moon (DS) - $15

Crackdown and Army of Two are the shockers here, even the guy at EB was surprised at how much Army of Two was worth. Also, if I never play Moon again it'll be too soon. It was such a disappointing game.

EDIT: My apologies, they're all for EB.

Blockbuster- Jan 29, 09

Halo 3 (360) - $12
Call of Duty: World At War (360) - $22

At the same location you can buy Battlefield: Bad Company for $15. They have the best used game prices at the moment.

[quote name='JnJosh']1 dollar[/quote]

sorry I just had to

308415325_438597c852.jpg

ok im gonna see if this far cry 2 TIV holds up
gonna try and get 4 copies so i can swap BBV creds for EB

29.99 used at BBV from what i remember tonight

[quote name='habsfan08']PS3

Far Cry 2 35
Resistance 2 35
Valkyria Chronicle 30 (didn't trade though, love this game so much)[/quote]

didnt R2 just become 37 dollars?

[quote name='Bencherstyle']didnt R2 just become 37 dollars?[/quote]

for real?? :bomb:

well, I just got back but have to trade it because of they have only one copy of Ar Tonelico 2

and it's only 2 buck

edit : and I think start only in feb

bread's done
Back