[Canada] EB Games, Blockbuster Video, and Future Shop Trade-in Values List

Firestorm

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
Update 3: The new website is http://www.tivs.ca thanks to neksus!

Update 2:

Lone Prodigy is awesome and made a new one: http://ebtradeinvalues.scribblewiki.com/Main_Page

Update:
Please update the wiki yourself. The new wiki is http://www.citgocapital.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

RFDers use/edit it as well.

Alright, the Americans have a wiki page with all the EB Games trade-in values and I figured we might as well start one for the Canadian EB. It's good reference for if we ever want to sell our soul or maybe take advantage of loopholes in their promos! I'll try and keep the list updated as much as possible.

If you have info to add, please do so in the following format:
*Game Name - $# - Month Day, Year
For example:
*Sonic Mega Collection - $8 - September 29th, 2006.

Group them by system please!

Wiki Link: http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/EB_trade_in_values_-_Canada

Last edited by a moderator:
just called EB about WKC, had to fight with the rep but I guess he was smart enough to look through his mails.

Deals start Feb 2 to Feb 7.
Theres no credit limit, but it seems game is limit is 1, altough some place will let you trade many games.

EDIT: Im really confused, the games comes out Feb 2 but the deal starts out Feb2 ?? Please clarify -_-

Last edited by a moderator:
You get 50% extra trade credit towards the game. Whether it's before or after the game releases, it shouldn't matter.

And the deal starts on Sun Jan 31.

[quote name='zorba_the_greek']You get 50% extra trade credit towards the game. Whether it's before or after the game releases, it shouldn't matter.

And the deal starts on Sun Jan 31.[/QUOTE]

But the rep yesterday looked and told me Feb 2!!! fuck do I hate EB!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR theyre so clueless

Actually they were correct, the overall deal starts on Sunday (50% extra credit). The specific game deals start on different days, so WKC from Feb 2 - Feb 7 is correct. There are about 8 games that the deal goes towards each starting/ending on different days.

I was just at EB in Brampton, and they showed me the February deals in their book.

That sounds good though. Having a bunch of games w/+50% trade in is good for sure. It's at least better than the multiple Gaming Guarantee abuse that occured.

[quote name='craig64']I can definitely see how they could keep you from pre-ordering anything in the store, but I don't see a way for them to stop you from trading stuff in - unless they know you, of course. But when I trade stuff in they never type my name into their computer... unless it's for a pre-order. I'd assume you can still trade stuff in, just not for pre-orders.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='method47']I can still shop there, use credit, and I assume I can still do regular preorders. I just can't trade or do anything with my preorders I've gotten in relation to trading (other than pick them up).

EDIT: Atleast, this what I assume is locked down, once I heard flagged I just figured I was banned and left. I really need to ask next time I go.[/QUOTE]

I asked my favourite EB store (the one that lets me do all sorts of crazy things and lets other stuff slide) what sets off a ban according to them.
They said:
a) switching your pre-orders to games that aren't on the promo list or trying to pull 1 for 1 trades on release day.

That made me ask about the GG abuse that I will admit to taking part in.

They said:
b) you get flagged if you use multiple stores to get multiple copies of the GG and busted when you return them all for credit.

All I can think is this is just EB being lazy. It should be incumbent upon them
to NOT let us PO a game multiple times across multiple stores.
Or is the crime in returning them all with the GG? I'll admit it's a sneaky way
to triple your credit but can't they enforce it PRIOR to it happening not
busting you AFTER you did it. Or they just don't care UNTIL you ruin their
numbers and ask for a refund like the promo promises?

How do they know I have one GG PO at 5 stores and I return all 5 within a week?
I'm not proud I've done it but hey I used to be an RFDER so I was never pure to start.
Are The Banned trading multiple copies of the same game
and returning multiple GG's to the same store?

(Too much to read above?)
Bottom line: Are the banned sloppy in their 'tradecraft'?
Or does EB now DETECT suspicious behaviour on your account?

[quote name='j940651']I asked my favourite EB store (the one that lets me do all sorts of crazy things and lets other stuff slide) what sets off a ban according to them.
They said:
a) switching your pre-orders to games that aren't on the promo list or trying to pull 1 for 1 trades on release day.

That made me ask about the GG abuse that I will admit to taking part in.

They said:
b) you get flagged if you use multiple stores to get multiple copies of the GG and busted when you return them all for credit.

All I can think is this is just EB being lazy. It should be incumbent upon them
to NOT let us PO a game multiple times across multiple stores.
Or is the crime in returning them all with the GG? I'll admit it's a sneaky way
to triple your credit but can't they enforce it PRIOR to it happening not
busting you AFTER you did it. Or they just don't care UNTIL you ruin their
numbers and ask for a refund like the promo promises?

How do they know I have one GG PO at 5 stores and I return all 5 within a week?
I'm not proud I've done it but hey I used to be an RFDER so I was never pure to start.
Are The Banned trading multiple copies of the same game
and returning multiple GG's to the same store?

(Too much to read above?)
Bottom line: Are the banned sloppy in their 'tradecraft'?
Or does EB now DETECT suspicious behaviour on your account?[/QUOTE]

So, does it mean, it's safe if I only have like 1 or 2 PO?

[quote name='gloomyUsagi']So, does it mean, it's safe if I only have like 1 or 2 PO?[/QUOTE]

Sorry i left that part out. The store said:

I can have as many POs or T3G1Fs as I want.
I get flagged THEN banned if I swap them for non advertised games
or I GG them back in multiple fashion.

I guess you CANNOT mess with their pre-order business.
They need high numbers on the LISTED titles that go out and don't come back.
That's how they measure store success. That and extended warranties.

So basically you can get screwed for switching your preorders? Wow I did that 3-4 times a couple years ago, and now you can get 'banned' for it, it sure took them a while to start caring..

[quote name='elty']What other 8 games has the 50% promo?[/QUOTE]

WKC, Sonic All star Racing, Alien vs Predator, Star Ocean the last hope, Phoenix Wright, Bioshock 2. For some reason Endless Oceans 2 might be one as I remember reading it.

I don't think Heavy Rain or Dante's Inferno were listed.

[quote name='Icetron']So basically you can get screwed for switching your preorders? Wow I did that 3-4 times a couple years ago, and now you can get 'banned' for it, it sure took them a while to start caring..[/QUOTE]

I would guess, since the occurrences seem rare at the moment, that it would have to look VERY shady. For instance, trading the same game multiple times for Trade-3's, then switching them around to GG titles (like 5 copies of God of War 3 or something). One guy on RFD picked up 36 copies of MAG: I'm guessing he used multiple names/addresses/locations to not be flagged.

I've been told by an employee that's been nice enough to let me know that they started checking for suspicious behaviour. It was around the time of the multiple GGs & I was essentially preordering each of the games in succession. He told me you should be careful & don't do it too often or you might get their attention. Really the only one that I abused was the Transformers one since it was the first GG I ever did & I did enough to get a TE stick, that's it. I'm not surprised that they are trying to crack down since they don't like the idea of you "renting" new copies of their games is my guess. I don't see where it says you can't do it, but w/e, they're the dictators of their trade system so they can do as they please. Though it is their fault for not having things like "1 per customer" or something.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']I would guess, since the occurrences seem rare at the moment, that it would have to look VERY shady. For instance, trading the same game multiple times for Trade-3's, then switching them around to GG titles (like 5 copies of God of War 3 or something). One guy on RFD picked up 36 copies of MAG: I'm guessing he used multiple names/addresses/locations to not be flagged.[/QUOTE]

I really wish I could see that. Wtf is someone going to do w/36 copies of MAG? Give 35 copies to his friends & start a clan?

Dam, had I known they were going to extend this 50% extra credit to BioShock 2 I probably would have waited trading in my copy of Gears of War 2. I still might consider trading in a few games towards it though.

EB Jan. 29 (I might be missing a few cents):

Assasin's Creed 2 (360) 40$
Bourne Conspiracy (360) 11$
Last Remnant 11$
Rachet & Clank FTOD 12$
Castlevania Judgement 17$
Ninja Gaiden 2 (360) 14.50$ (tivs.ca says 8$)
My Weight Loss Coach 11.50$

I was able to get 50% more on AC2 for WKC (all other games as well for that matter - but I did T2s). Althought it had to be manually adjusted.

Banning only really happens when either a worker makes note of a single person doing things that seem out of the ordinary, this will get sent to the DM, than Head office or loss prevention.

Also, anything that involves "money" leaving EB/gamestop and going to the customer will get presented to loss prevention. Once they see the reciept, they can take a look into your "file" (store customer id). also they made it a lot easier to track edge cards. Go to your local store trade in a couple games for 40$, than go to another town an do the same, your balance will be noted.

I had to brag to somebody about today's excursion:
I posted an ad awhile ago trying to dump my turds (nice, eh?) for $5-$10 each locally.
Among these were GH2, GH3, a Wireless guitar (that I got for free) and Mirror's Edge.
I went through with a trade today, and got in return:
Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2009
Quantum of Solace
Far Cry 2
Bourne Conspiracy
Street Fighter IV

Funny thing he, he sent me those as his offer, it wasn't me trying to swindle him!

[quote name='JnJosh']eb games
nhl 10 40
Mua 2 40
Dragonball z fighting (the first one) 11.50

wii
Alone in the dark .75
bigs 2 - 11.50[/QUOTE]

Pretty vague on that DBZ game...first one of what? All-time? PS3? PS2? There's at least 6 different DBZ fighting games. Budokai? Budokai Tenkaichi? Sagas? Burst Limit?

[quote name='telepathy'] I really wish I could see that. Wtf is someone going to do w/36 copies of MAG? Give 35 copies to his friends & start a clan?[/QUOTE]

Probably give some to friends, flip some on eBay/craigslist, or wait for another promo to use for more credit.

[quote name='neksus']I had to brag to somebody about today's excursion:
I posted an ad awhile ago trying to dump my turds (nice, eh?) for $5-$10 each locally.
Among these were GH2, GH3, a Wireless guitar (that I got for free) and Mirror's Edge.
I went through with a trade today, and got in return:
Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2009
Quantum of Solace
Far Cry 2
Bourne Conspiracy
Street Fighter IV

Funny thing he, he sent me those as his offer, it wasn't me trying to swindle him![/QUOTE]

You know you're a turd-hunter when you trade

EB Games: all 360

Brutal Legend - 16 (tiv was 10.75 at Rogers, 22.75 at BBV)
Prototype - 17
Prince of Persia - 11

Did a T3 for God of War.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']
That gravy train bolted the station fast. I was quoted $24 on Thursday.[/QUOTE]

I think EB just had a price drop on the game so that combined with the 80 million or so trades of it probably sunk it like a stone.

(thought I would throw in another analogy into the mix)

[quote name='supergrover99']I think EB just had a price drop on the game so that combined with the 80 million or so trades of it probably sunk it like a stone.

(thought I would throw in another analogy into the mix)[/QUOTE]

Good thing I closed the barn door before it became a dead horse!

[quote name='game_fanatic']Pretty vague on that DBZ game...first one of what? All-time? PS3? PS2? There's at least 6 different DBZ fighting games. Budokai? Budokai Tenkaichi? Sagas? Burst Limit?[/QUOTE]

I stated xbox 360, and to my knowledge there are only 2 dragonball games for the 360 in north america anyway. It's whatever one is the first one. DBZ burst limit, sure.

[quote name='JnJosh']I stated xbox 360, and to my knowledge there are only 2 dragonball games for the 360 in north america anyway. It's whatever one is the first one. DBZ burst limit, sure.[/QUOTE]

My bad, didn't see the 360 heading.

Did a T2+$19.99 for Bioshock 2 using:
360 Afro Samurai
360 Transformers 2

why the f are games in Canada 69.99 again. It's really annoying.

[quote name='Gamin_Guru']Did a T2+$19.99 for Bioshock 2 using:
360 Afro Samurai
360 Transformers 2

why the f are games in Canada 69.99 again. It's really annoying.[/QUOTE]
Because the costs of doing business in Canada are much higher than in the US, just because the dollar is close to par doesn't mean you can pay your employees less, doesn't make fuel costs any less, shipping charges don't drop, etc.

[quote name='greywolf501']Because the costs of doing business in Canada are much higher than in the US, just because the dollar is close to par doesn't mean you can pay your employees less, doesn't make fuel costs any less, shipping charges don't drop, etc.[/QUOTE]

True say. Look at the minimum wage in the US, for example. There's only a handful of states (8, to be exact) that's minimum wage is $8 or more. Compared to Canada, where the lowest wage is $8, and the highest will be Ontario at $10.25 starting March 31st, 2010. The US also has astronomical buying power, which results in lower costs. Hey, if the price of games in Canada is really that frustrating, just goomba that sh*t!

I'm fine with prices mostly due to the fact that our wages in Alberta are ridiculous. At least they're not $100+ like they were back in the SNES/N64 days.

[quote name='Afrodiziak']I'm fine with prices mostly due to the fact that our wages in Alberta are ridiculous. At least they're not $100+ like they were back in the SNES/N64 days.[/QUOTE]

I remember paying $99.99 for Super Star Wars. I still have it and the original box.

[quote name='Afrodiziak']I'm fine with prices mostly due to the fact that our wages in Alberta are ridiculous. At least they're not $100+ like they were back in the SNES/N64 days.[/QUOTE]

I never bought games back in those days, that must've really been really shitty.

[quote name='Princess Zelda']I remember paying $99.99 for Super Star Wars. I still have it and the original box.[/QUOTE]

lol, I remember seeing SNES boxes around from what my uncles bought. At the time I didn't realize the games they had came in were $100 boxes.

The most expensive games I remember buying were Mario Party 1 and that Star Wars Ep 1 racing game back on the N64. I think I paid $80 each for the two. :|

OT: Yeah, anyone remember the price of Street Fighter II Turbo for the SNES when it first came out? It was like $100+. With inflation, it really makes modern day games look cheap by comparison, especially with the amount of content they pack in them today.

A fair number coming out are shown at $55-$65, so a little better. The sonic racing one is %55, with the power trade thing it might be worth it, though a risk its junk

25+ years ago colecovison, atari etc games went for $40 or more, and would stay full price for years...and there wasn't very much to them. prices are cheaper now then the, inflation adjusted.

Considering games nowadays can cost millions to make and provide so much replayability through trophies/achievements/online/DLC, $70 isn't a bad price. Speaking of DLC though, that's where the business model is headed: cutting down on the used game market.

As of an hour ago at EB:
Gears of War 2 - $15.50 bumped to $23.25
Fable 2 - $18.00 bumped to $27.00
Modern Warfare 2 - $40.00 bumped to $60.00!
Halo Wars - $24.00 bumped to $36.00

The guy quoted me $90, I asked him about the White Knight Chronicles powertrade and he had no idea about it, asked the other guy and had no idea about it. I then told him I would like to pre-order it and he was surprised when it bumped up 50%. He just shook his head "EB is going to regret this deal" and I took my pre-order and my gift card with $88 (which I promptly put down on BioShock 2 Limited Edition).

[quote name='Corizzle']As of an hour ago at EB:
Gears of War 2 - $15.50 bumped to $23.25
Fable 2 - $18.00 bumped to $27.00
Modern Warfare 2 - $40.00 bumped to $60.00!
Halo Wars - $24.00 bumped to $36.00

The guy quoted me $90, I asked him about the White Knight Chronicles powertrade and he had no idea about it, asked the other guy and had no idea about it. I then told him I would like to pre-order it and he was surprised when it bumped up 50%. He just shook his head "EB is going to regret this deal" and I took my pre-order and my gift card with $88 (which I promptly put down on BioShock 2 Limited Edition).[/QUOTE]

To me this promo doesn't really make sense. Technically, shouldn't MW2 been the only game to trade in for the extra 50%? Once the game is paid off in full, the other games should ring in as normal, with no 50% addition, unless you are pre-ordering two Power Trade games.

bread's done
Back