Canada Post Jan 12 - good news?!

zoro69

CAGiversary!
Its appears goozexers and others mailing games get a stay of execution ...for now.

"n June 2008, Canada Post announced that it was planning to make changes to the Oversize Lettermail specifications, and to introduce an Irregular Oversize category. Please note Canada Post will not be implementing the Irregular Oversize Lettermail specifications and rates on January 12, 2009. Further information and notice will be provided if these changes are pursued at a later date."

OF course the same thing happened just before light packet was to start...and it came back only slightly different shortly afterwards.

Other parcel rates are going up 10-15% area.

neither of these would help us canadians anyway. lettermail (oversized or not) is still paper products only. if you are sending a game in a dvd like case its still considered a "package" and thus gets hit to a parcel which is retarded price to ship to canada from canada.

I love it how its 3x cheaper to send the same package as "small packet" to the usa then it is to send the same thing to canada. Until canada post allows us to send things small "packet" within canada then we will all pay way to much to ship things around.

its weird. i can send a game to japan for a 1/3 the price to send it to another province. where is the logic here?

[quote name='Pale-Dim']neither of these would help us canadians anyway. lettermail (oversized or not) is still paper products only. if you are sending a game in a dvd like case its still considered a "package" and thus gets hit to a parcel which is retarded price to ship to canada from canada.

I love it how its 3x cheaper to send the same package as "small packet" to the usa then it is to send the same thing to canada. Until canada post allows us to send things small "packet" within canada then we will all pay way to much to ship things around.

its weird. i can send a game to japan for a 1/3 the price to send it to another province. where is the logic here?[/QUOTE]
Put the game in a bubble mailer, slap on two $0.96 stamps and you're good to go?

"lettermail (oversized or not) is still paper products only. if you are sending a game in a dvd like case its still considered a "package" and thus gets hit to a parcel which is retarded price to ship to canada from canada.'

False...

There are no and never have been any content restriction on domestic lettermail

They "paper only" applied only to international letterpost, starting when they introduced light packet (soly to increase revenue). If you stamp that stuff for letterpost and dump it in the mail bos with no custom form its almost certain to get delivered anyway.

The proposed change for Jan 12 was going to eliminate games etc from normal domestic lettermail. ANYTHING, paper or not, that was rigid between 1cm and 2 cm thick would have to go in the new category. That is now not happening...for now.

So anything under 500 gm/2cm thick(can get away with substantiaily thicker by stamping into a mail box, although I wouldn't be surprised if they get stricter now) can continue to go at lettemail rate within Canada. They didn't even raise the oversize rate thsi year, probably becuas3e until this week they had planned on teh big increase for the new "rigid" category.

[quote name='gamer602']So what is the cost of mailing a game?

$2.XX???[/quote]

It costs $1.92 to mail a game in a bubble mailer

I remember when I sold off a ton of games, I prayed that my Ebay buyers would be in the USA. It was insanely cheap to ship there. I mean, I shipped a freaking Xbox controller as "small packet" for $3.30! That stuff costs $8 to ship within Canada.

Last game I sent wouldn't fit through their magical slot, so it cost me $8.94!!!! for a $12 game.

I am going to open the case and put it in the bubble mailer next time, to make sure it is flat enough.

~S

[quote name='snowsquirrel']Last game I sent wouldn't fit through their magical slot, so it cost me $8.94!!!! for a $12 game.

I am going to open the case and put it in the bubble mailer next time, to make sure it is flat enough.

~S[/quote]

lol I wonder if it was me that bought it...
picked up an $8+ tiv game on eBay that had free shipping...cost me $4..cost the shipper $9!

[quote name='snowsquirrel']Last game I sent wouldn't fit through their magical slot, so it cost me $8.94!!!! for a $12 game.

~S[/quote]

For domestic ones that are remotely close to 2cm, stamp them yourself and put them in the mailbox. Back when I used outlets I had some they wouldn't put through the slot, so I said forget it I'd repackage them...and bought stamps at the same time that I put on the same package to drop in the mail box outside.

It even varies between outlets, some wii yank that envelope through the slot if its at all possible (or overlook close ones for regular customers), others ones barely attempt to put it through before declaring parcel (more commish for them). Around here it was always SDMs quite a bit worse then anywhere else.

"I shipped a freaking Xbox controller as "small packet" for $3.30!"

That must have been years ago, the cheapest small packet, 250 gm surface USA is over $5 now and going up next week. Was 4.65 in 07.

[quote name='zoro69']For domestic ones that are remotely close to 2cm, stamp them yourself and put them in the mailbox. Back when I used outlets I had some they wouldn't put through the slot, so I said forget it I'd repackage them...and bought stamps at the same time that I put on the same package to drop in the mail box outside.

It even varies between outlets, some wii yank that envelope through the slot if its at all possible (or overlook close ones for regular customers), others ones barely attempt to put it through before declaring parcel (more commish for them). Around here it was always SDMs quite a bit worse then anywhere else.

"I shipped a freaking Xbox controller as "small packet" for $3.30!"

That must have been years ago, the cheapest small packet, 250 gm surface USA is over $5 now and going up next week. Was 4.65 in 07.[/quote]

I always had that issue at the Shoppers Drug Mart at the Cat Centre, I always went there until they kept pissing me off with the 2cm slot, I swear they lied half the time and said it was over. I like the Pharma Plus at the Kingston Centre.

yes I remember taking my envelopes and leaving the Cat center. At the time the same pharmacist that has the 2 down town had that one too (cat one is different owner now).

The two downtown were bad too, Last time I ever used the one at Division they tried to reject taking a credit card because "the fees are too high for a low amount". The lower Princess st one used to j put up a closed sign at random times(1-2 hours early) and would refuse to serve you even while staff were behind the counter. The manager agreed that was wrong but nothing changed, so I complained to CP...and the store lied and said it never happened. CP sent someone in at night after to see and caught them lol

Pharma plus one was alright and Peters on King and young was excellent though I know the staff that were there for ages left and I can't speak for the new ones

[quote name='imcrazy']As if Canada POS isn't expensive enough already.[/quote]

I hear ya. I recently had a package delivered by them and here`s how it went.

1. Guy rings my buzzer
2. I let him in.
3. He puts letters in my mailbox which is behind the door I just opened.
4. I expect him to come up but he just leaves a delivery notice in my (locked) mailbox which they must have the key to since last time I had ordered a larger package and it was left in the mailbox.

Talk about stupid slackers on the job...

[quote name='CptIronnutz']I hear ya. I recently had a package delivered by them and here`s how it went.

1. Guy rings my buzzer
2. I let him in.
4. I expect him to come up but he just leaves a delivery notice in my (locked) mailbox which they must have the key to since last time I had ordered a larger package and it was left in the mailbox.

Talk about stupid slackers on the job...[/quote]

You seriously think a slacker wants to carry around a parcel for no reason? If it would've fit in your secure box he would have left it there. It didn't so he carded you, big whoop :roll:

It was a power cord for my internet modem... the package was just bubble wrap around that and an enveloppe...

Point is it fits.

Anyways, I don't think they should leave a card even if I let them in...

Lazy fuckers...

[quote name='CptIronnutz']I hear ya. I recently had a package delivered by them and here`s how it went.

1. Guy rings my buzzer
2. I let him in.

Talk about stupid slackers on the job...[/quote]

Canada Post guys don't come up, if you're too lazy to come down well... what can I say really?

Yes, the slot thing is annoying as fuck. Luckily, I have made friends with my local worker so it is less of an issue. What is still a major pain in the ass is the bullshit "this qualifies for lettermail but because it is a CD instead of documents you have to pay more" thing.

New rates coming in Feb now!! Domestic oversize letter rate will increase in Feb (thought that was weird it stayed the same). that is not the "rigid" thing though, just the normal yearly % increase.

The rigid thing being described as "not YET approved"...

Apparently the pamphlet on the jan 12 new rates that was sent to outlets to distribute has so many errors they aren't allowed to give it out until new ones are printed.

What is the "real" thickness limit for standard lettermail that you stamp yourself and put in the mailbox? I mean I've once received a book I bought on Amazon sent via lettermail and it was atleast 4cm thick.

bread's done
Back