[Canada] Wireless Network Adapter at Future Shop

cbouchar

CAG Veteran
This one at Future Shop in Canada is on sale ($55 - $20discount = $35 CAD) and I don't want to get screwed. The sale is on until Aug 21.

* Can anyone educate me on this....

Would this be a suitable substitute for the expensive Wireless Network Adapter sold for the XBox 360?
D-Link DWL-G122 AirPlus G 2.4GHz Wireless USB Adapter
I don't have my 360 yet so I can't buy it and test it out, and most of the staff at Future Shop are tools. Actually, that's an insult to tools because they can be useful at times......

Thanks,

Cbouchar

Don't want to sound rude but, why wouldn't it work?

I'm trying to avoid the near $100 price tag and both of the alternatives you gave cost about the same as the MS one. Would they be more reliable than the MS adapter?

I remember asking some guy at an Xbox 360 booth at the Canadian AutoShow, and he said that you can't buy any normal wireless usb adapter and plug it into the 360. He might have been bull-sh*tting me, but I dunno.

The unit itself has to have some sort of Driver. I know for a fact that the old xbox wireless adapter works, keep your eye out for that one, I just picked one up for $35 open box but complete at BB.

[quote name='cbouchar']Don't want to sound rude but, why wouldn't it work?

I'm trying to avoid the near $100 price tag and both of the alternatives you gave cost about the same as the MS one. Would they be more reliable than the MS adapter?[/QUOTE]

Um , I think everyone would buy the cheaper one if it did work .
I use 2 of these
I have 2 Xbox's and a 360 .
I bought them for $58.99[US] clearanced at CircuitCity .

Also if you look at the D-link Packages for their routers you'll find the "Compatible with XBOX LIVE" on them , the adapters do not have this on them .

Do a search , this topic gets mentioned about once every 2 months .

You can not use alternative usb adapters to obtain a wifi signal on your 360. I have tried/researched this to death, there are specific protocols and drivers initiated by the microsoft wifi reciever. Unless someone hacks it, your only alternative would be to purchase a wireless bridge as mentioned by someone prior. However, the microsoft adapter allows you to see your signal strength ( I know minor difference). Also, it provides for exceptional signal strength even in enclosed areas (way better than any usb adapters I had tested from the same range with my laptop). In other words you are probably better to just buy the real thing and I beleive costco has them for $99 on their website (as opposed to 129.99 at futureshop and bestbuy). Or wait until they make a N version, as N routers are now afforable, an N adapter is inevitable and would enhance video transfer using windows media center.

Not sure if its possible but you could try connecting the x360 via ethernet to a new wireless router and then bridging ur other current router wirelessly with it? I know i got my wireless router for $20 so may be interesting if routers are able to connect wirelessly to each other.

I bit the bullet and bought the MS adapter for the 360. I must admit, it works like a charm and gets great reception, often better than my laptop sitting next to it.

Thanks for all the info,

Cbouchar

Glad you like it. It really is the best solution in this situation. Although I wish they had made it with N support (even though the protocol isn't finalized yet) seeing as how there are now D-link N routers for $99.99.

bread's done
Back