Canadian Questions & Answers Thread

gamer602

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I've seen so many different thrread that the forum is getting messy. Since we have an official trading thread, maybe we can have an official one for questions too, because after all, this is the Canadian HOT DEALS forum! It's not right when we have more questions than deals. You can ask any question you wan there, ranging from the cheapest 360, HDTVGame delays, Canadian game rental sites all the way to where the cheapest copy of Burnout is. I can assure you that you will get the same amout of replies here, if not more!

POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!

you didn't just go to the states.. you went off the continental. no wonder the prices were so off wack. You're off the continent AND you're at Gamestop? I'm surprised you weren't paying Austrailia prices. haha.

Of topic, but I just got a wireless router to play games online with my PS3 and Wii (I can't justify paying $50 a year to play online with my Xbox 360.)

Anyways, I was looking at my Shaw internet plan and noticed that I had 60GB of data transfer for each month. Is this enough for online gaming, surfing the net, and emailing or do I need to upgrade my plan. Also what happens if you go over?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is plenty. My roommates and I play Halo 3 almost every night for a couple hours, and we never get warnings about the cap space. It's really only applicable to people who use bit torrent to download oodles of movies/music/games.

Yeah, I play games online like crazy (with a 60GB monthly limit) and have never had any issues... I also download quite a bit of stuff each month, but that's only cost me once (got a hold of a rapidshare account, went nuts)..

Another Question

Where can I find a cheap wireless guitar for the Xbox 360 to play the guitar hero games. The cheapest I have seen is the one Best Buy has on sale for $39.99.

[quote name='zeze']
Anyways, I was looking at my Shaw internet plan and noticed that I had 60GB of data transfer for each month. Is this enough for online gaming, surfing the net, and emailing or do I need to upgrade my plan. Also what happens if you go over?

Thanks for the help.[/quote]

You have to be doing the equivalent of downloading entire TV show series on a daily basis to reach any sort of internet transfer cap; with what you just listed, you can do all that and then some.

I've got a question. Anyone in the GTA see Stormrise in any store shelves? I've been to a few EB Games, a Wal-Mart, and Game Centre and I haven't seen the game.

Hi
Where can I get cheap optic cables for my surround sound system that are of decent quality?
Thanks

Try Block Buster I got the PS3 optical cables on clearance for $2 or look at the RCSS, Gaming and audio accessories go on sale/clearance regularly.
Also mono price has these ones for less then $3 sale is today only.

Has anyone seen Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure anywhere? It's nowhere to be found in my area, nor do any of the usual online stores have any stock :( I would not have expected EA of all publishers to under-ship a game.

^^Reviews are a funny thing. I usually never check the reviews of a game until AFTER I play it. Then I can agree/disagree with what's being said. I have a few games in my collection that could be considered "not worth owning" (Wars Gods for N64, anyone?) but the only person that matters is you!

[quote name='MrGone']Has anyone seen Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure anywhere? It's nowhere to be found in my area, nor do any of the usual online stores have any stock :( I would not have expected EA of all publishers to under-ship a game.[/quote]
Unfortunately, the new EA is more like regular publishers where they may under-ship certain games due to immediate appeal; that's also the reason why they're also losing money lately when they used to almost always post a profit.

But about your Hatsworth problem, I got my copy at EB, while gutted I don't care since the EBs around here haven't gotten another copy since; and as touched upon the last statement, it's not the most wanted game to be released at this period. :p

Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap - yet durable - soft PSP case? I have the old 1000 model, I basically just want something to protect my PSP with while I keep it in my purse or backpack. Also do they make cases only for the Slim? I wouldn't want to buy the wrong one by mistake.

[quote name='TronB']Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap - yet durable - soft PSP case? I have the old 1000 model, I basically just want something to protect my PSP with while I keep it in my purse or backpack. Also do they make cases only for the Slim? I wouldn't want to buy the wrong one by mistake.[/quote]

Well depends... There "could" be on that doesn't have enough stretch in the soft pouch (the stretchy material along the perimeter of the edges) stuff like I've seen (the no-name brand case I use that I got off ebay case and point- it works, but the fit is so tight it you kind of have to force the zipper to close it which takes too much effort for me), but for the most part it works for any (pretty much a given for big-box/staple stores like EB/Futureshop.

You could always tell the employee to take it out of the box and let you try it- they normally don't say no.

In the end, I don't really find the case for the PSP all the worried for what's recommended. If it's in your purse or backpack it shouldn't undergo any wear and tear unless it's exposed to alot of sharp objects, but it will protect it from the easy surface scratching.

[quote name='TronB']Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap - yet durable - soft PSP case? I have the old 1000 model, I basically just want something to protect my PSP with while I keep it in my purse or backpack. Also do they make cases only for the Slim? I wouldn't want to buy the wrong one by mistake.[/quote]

I use a Flort pouch from IKEA to keep my PSP (in the cheap soft cover) and cords and it works decently. They're really cheap too, only $1.75 as long as you have an IKEA near you.

[quote name='poiuiu']Unfortunately, the new EA is more like regular publishers where they may under-ship certain games due to immediate appeal; that's also the reason why they're also losing money lately when they used to almost always post a profit.

But about your Hatsworth problem, I got my copy at EB, while gutted I don't care since the EBs around here haven't gotten another copy since; and as touched upon the last statement, it's not the most wanted game to be released at this period. :p[/quote]

It's kind of a shame, EA's been (literally) outdoing themselves with the great titles they've been putting out for the last year or so on top of the usual franchises. Wish they'd get more mainstream traction with those. If someone told me last year that I'd have more trouble finding an EA title than a Square title this year, I probably would've laughed until they medicated me.

Futureshop's online store supposedly has stock of Henry Hatsworth now, though the two sides of the sale are in disagreement over whether there's actually stock of the game, so I'm probably still out of luck :(

Have Pokemon Diamond/Pearl dropped a little in price now that Platinum is out? I need a new DS game for travel..

[quote name='poiuiu']I use a Flort pouch from IKEA to keep my PSP (in the cheap soft cover) and cords and it works decently. They're really cheap too, only $1.75 as long as you have an IKEA near you.[/quote]I've never been to an IKEA before, I think the closest one to me is all the way in North York. Who knows, if it's accessible via TTC then I might pop in to look at the cases. The price is awesome and they look nice and soft. :cool:

[quote name='RoganSarine']You could always tell the employee to take it out of the box and let you try it- they normally don't say no.[/quote]
Yeah, I guess I'll have to do that then. I saw a couple of open PSP cases at the Source so I figured someone tried them already or something.

Ahaha, I found this while looking for cases....not exactly what I wanted, but this is so me...the PSP is actually my brother's so he would never allow me to get this (I still refer to it as mine if I'm talking about it...I should stop doing that lol):
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10108751&catid=22444#

Thanks for the help you guys.

[quote name='TronB']I've never been to an IKEA before, I think the closest one to me is all the way in North York. Who knows, if it's accessible via TTC then I might pop in to look at the cases. The price is awesome and they look nice and soft. :cool:
[/quote]

Iirc, there is a TTC/subway/whatever (fake edit: It's Leslie station) just a block or two away from the IKEA in the North York one, which the two sandwiches a gas station and a McDonalds. And of make it better, that IKEA also has a shuttle that continually runs from the IKEA to the TTC/subway/whatever and back.

An while I don't know where you're located, another IKEA (that is much farther away) is the one on Vaughan but it's not accessible by TTC, tho I haven't shopped there yet so I'm not as sure about the details.

And I really like the soft pouch; nice, roomy and padded (like my insanity chamber :D), the tags are on the inside so you can cut them out and not leave any ugly remnants and also there's a zipper compartment on the inside which is made with a soft mesh.

Also, don't bother with that silicon thing on your psp; I had something similar for my old GBA it'll just ruin the handling and make buttons annoying to press. And in the end, if you drop your PSP, that won't prevent damage to the UMD laser.

edit:
[quote name='Kekumba']Have Pokemon Diamond/Pearl dropped a little in price now that Platinum is out? I need a new DS game for travel..[/quote]

It's 20 bucks at The Source (if they have any copies) or 25 at Best Buy last week.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Hey, that's just a skin, I thought you wanted a carrying case... BBV had these on clearance a while ago, they were official Sony brand. You may stilll be able to find them in WalMart or somewhere. I don't think that they came in pink though :)[/quote]
Haha I know, but I was just thinking that the skin is something I would buy because I like pink. But yeah, won't get it since I need a case...

[quote name='poiuiu']Iirc, there is a TTC/subway/whatever (fake edit: It's Leslie station) just a block or two away from the IKEA in the North York one, which the two sandwiches a gas station and a McDonalds. And of make it better, that IKEA also has a shuttle that continually runs from the IKEA to the TTC/subway/whatever and back.[/quote]
Yeah, that's the one. I'm in Scarborough so the one in Vaughan is out of the question. Leslie still seems far though....hmmm....maybe I'll go on an adventure to IKEA this weekend. Thanks again for the detailed response.

Edit: Oh yeah, and a while ago I asked about importing a game from play-asia, I did it and in the end I didn't have to pay import taxes or whatever.....because the game was just sitting in my mailbox this morning.

[quote name='poiuiu']It's 20 bucks at The Source (if they have any copies) or 25 at Best Buy last week.[/quote]

Yeah, just picked it up.. was hoping for a drop at EB as I have some credit there.. but nope, still full price.

Does anyone know if Real Canadian Superstore will be carrying the DSi? I have enough PC points to cover it, so I was hoping that I could pick one up there on Sunday. (It's how I got my PSP!)

[quote name='zyblorg']Does anyone know if Real Canadian Superstore will be carrying the DSi? I have enough PC points to cover it, so I was hoping that I could pick one up there on Sunday. (It's how I got my PSP!)[/quote]

Yes it's in the flyer. Limited stock of course.

I've been looking for either the Microsoft Flight Stick or the Ace Combat Flight Stick (MUCH rarer) but I've never been able to find it in the GTA. Anyone know where one could be acquired? Looking for a non-online route...

[quote name='MrGone']Has anyone seen Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure anywhere? It's nowhere to be found in my area, nor do any of the usual online stores have any stock :( I would not have expected EA of all publishers to under-ship a game.[/quote]

Just was looking at the latest Wal-Mart flyer and the game is listed at $5 off. The advertised price is $24.97 for the upcoming week. Hope this helps!

Anyone know where to get a lavender (or even rose) import PSP 2000 slim? I saw one at SoftMart in Pacific Mall for $280 with a pouch and 8 gig Memorystick. I'm wondering if this is the best deal or maybe someone has seen better.

TronB: lots of pink PSP pouches at Pacific Mall, $5 and up :lol:

I was going to suggest pmall, but it looks like you already got that covered. The only other thing I could suggest is calling Hi-Tech, I know I've seen a few import PSPs there (not sure on the colours, though...or when I saw the,), at least at the Cedarbrae location. And I can't believe I forgot to check pmall for PSP cases. *facepalm*

Hopefully other people can suggest something better.

Not sure where to put this question, but i guess here is as good a place as any, and if it's not, please direct me to where it should go.

Anyway....I live in Canada, my parents live in the States. They know i have a PS3, so they sent me a PSN card, which unfortunately doesn't work in Canada.

Does anyone have any ideas on how i could make the cards work here, (does changing the settings work?) or what i should do with the cards if they don't work? I assume they wouldn't be able to get a refund for them if i sent them back. I would probably have to sell them or trade them? Not even sure how i would do that unless i knew the person.

meh....there were a few things i really wanted on the PSN. oh well

Well I know you can make an EU, JPN, HK, all variety of region accounts on your PS3 and use their respective region points to buy stuff from their store. Try making a US region account and see if anything happens, unless of course US and CND gets bundled into a generic NA account.

yep, tried that. I created a U.S. account and it didn't work. I read that you can only use PSN cards on the master account, which it seems you can't change he region for, unless i missed something.

Nope, you can't change regions, your best bet is start over with your PS3 and make it US from the beginning, or try to gameshare that song with an Amerifriend. I gave away the RB dlc I won from Stride last year to another CAG for the same reason :sad:

[quote name='saad77']If I start over, will that delete everything that's been downloaded and installed?[/quote]

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure it will. I don't know of a way of transferring DLC, but you can back up savegames. If you purchased any DLC, you can re-download it up to 2-3 times, but I don't know how that would work if you create a new American account. :whistle2:/

This is definitely not a great option, in case you didn't figure that out yet...

Hey, this may be a stupid question but I'm new to all this stuff - how often do the trade in 3 get one free things happen at EB in Canada? Furthermore, is it as advertised, or is it for certain games only (either for the trade or the purchase)?

^ as far as i know, it never ends.... but i havent done this deal for a while so i can't be too sure. the games that you trade in has to have Trade in value of 8 dollars or more, and you can use it for any game that 's on the pre-order list.

[quote name='Pl8to']Hey, this may be a stupid question but I'm new to all this stuff - how often do the trade in 3 get one free things happen at EB in Canada? Furthermore, is it as advertised, or is it for certain games only (either for the trade or the purchase)?[/quote]

i'm not sure what the exact policy is, but i have 5 eb's around me and they differ in terms of rules. the trade 3 is always on at them (or at least has been for the last 8 months that i've checked) but some stores only allow you to preorder certain titles. others allow me to preorder any game, or get any game within 2 weeks of its release.

generally, the trade 3 for any game is usually just a weekend promotion that happens the odd time i think.

...but ymmv

[quote name='cm matty']i'm not sure what the exact policy is, but i have 5 eb's around me and they differ in terms of rules. the trade 3 is always on at them (or at least has been for the last 8 months that i've checked) but some stores only allow you to preorder certain titles. others allow me to preorder any game, or get any game within 2 weeks of its release.

generally, the trade 3 for any game is usually just a weekend promotion that happens the odd time i think.

...but ymmv[/quote]

To add to the arbitrary EB rules, sometimes you can change a T3GIF pre-order to another game. I've done it myself, and others have reported the same thing here. Some CAGs have had less success. This rule also applies to non-T3GIF pre-orders.
Really though, it's all a big ball of YMMV :bouncy:

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']To add to the arbitrary EB rules, sometimes you can change a T3GIF pre-order to another game. I've done it myself, and others have reported the same thing here. Some CAGs have had less success. This rule also applies to non-T3GIF pre-orders.
Really though, it's all a big ball of YMMV :bouncy:[/quote]

haha, another arbitrary rule, one of the 5 stores by me is iffy on letting you use the trade 3 deal on one of the gaming guarantee games.

[quote name='Princess Zelda']Try Block Buster I got the PS3 optical cables on clearance for $2 or look at the RCSS, Gaming and audio accessories go on sale/clearance regularly.
Also mono price has these ones for less then $3 sale is today only.[/quote]

Thanks a lot for this. :applause::D

bread's done
Back