Canadian Questions & Answers Thread

gamer602

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I've seen so many different thrread that the forum is getting messy. Since we have an official trading thread, maybe we can have an official one for questions too, because after all, this is the Canadian HOT DEALS forum! It's not right when we have more questions than deals. You can ask any question you wan there, ranging from the cheapest 360, HDTVGame delays, Canadian game rental sites all the way to where the cheapest copy of Burnout is. I can assure you that you will get the same amout of replies here, if not more!

POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!

Can anyone tell me whether The Source, Rogers Video, or Blockbuster carry Playstation Network cards? I'm trying to get one without using the subway cause it's like $6 round trip now.

Wow, my backup plan was Bestbuy.ca or Futureshop.ca but neither have PSN cards listed on their site.

[quote name='AndyTwobeats']Do games you buy off of amazon.com's PSN store work on PS3s in Canada?
[Would I need to make a US PSN account?]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&ref_=amb_link_86230671_3&docId=1000461291

That seems like a tempting offer if it works for Canadians too.[/QUOTE]

If you do not have an American Credit card linked to your amazon.com account you cannot purchase PSN games due to infringement on digital distribution or some shite like that.
I got that $20 credit for PSN-amazon store when I bought GOW collections but I wasn't able to use it. I have an address to send it to though, but it wasn't enough.

After a conversation with Amazon people, they ended up converting the credit to regular credit to use on anything. Not too shabby, used it on a christmas present I was gonna buy anyways and used the money I saved on Flower and PJ Shooter :)

Anyone know if Gamestops in Canada run promotions at the same time as US stores such as when they do b2g1 free?

[quote name='bludd']Anyone know if Gamestops in Canada run promotions at the same time as US stores such as when they do b2g1 free?[/QUOTE]
No, the US and Canadian stores are completely seperate, the promotions are different and are never the exact same. I don't even recall EB/GameStop ever having a B2G1 free sale here in Canada.

Anyone know the exchange policy for new/opened games at EB Games? I bought Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure just over a week ago (29th of Dec) but it's defective. All the receipt says is "No refunds/exchanges on open merchandise". Not sure if I should even attempt going to EB or if I should just contact NISA like the manual says.

Shouldn't be a big problem. Pretty much anywhere will allow an exchange for the same title if a game's defective. I think the receipt is just trying to make clear that they don't allow exchanges for different titles.

Sorry guys, maybe a stupid question. I've been out of the gaming loop for many many years, I was 'in' for a while when I got my Wii but stopped again when I got bored of it, until I got my PS3 last month.

What kind of trade-in deals does EB/GS have now (and what games...?) or any other good places to get some deals now? :D

Just a general answer or a point in the right direction would help me out greatly.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Only unreleased game I'd want right now is probably White Knight Chronicles after checking out gamefaqs.

do DS games qualify for the trade 3 get it free at ebgames/gamestop? or is it trade 2? the new pokemon games look interesting

^^ I think he means can he do a T3G1 for a DS game. The answer is yes, but it doesn't make too much financial sense since DS games are normally only $40 and a T3G1 is valid for upto $69. You'd be better off doing a T3G1 for a gaming garentee title, then returning it and buying your DS game with the credit.

[quote name='snuter']^^ I think he means can he do a T3G1 for a DS game. The answer is yes, but it doesn't make too much financial sense since DS games are normally only $40 and a T3G1 is valid for upto $69. You'd be better off doing a T3G1 for a gaming garentee title, then returning it and buying your DS game with the credit.[/QUOTE]

good idea, thanks :D

Hey guys,

I just added a boatload of points to my account (thanks, neksus! :D) and I was wondering, is it possible to transfer points/games between gamertags? My XBL is expiring soon, and I was thinking about getting a new gamertag, but if I lose all my purchased DLC and accumulated points, I don't think I'll bother! Thanks!

[quote name='game_fanatic']Hey guys,

I just added a boatload of points to my account (thanks, neksus! :D) and I was wondering, is it possible to transfer points/games between gamertags? My XBL is expiring soon, and I was thinking about getting a new gamertag, but if I lose all my purchased DLC and accumulated points, I don't think I'll bother! Thanks![/QUOTE]

Sadly there is not. You could change your existing gamertag for a fee however.

[quote name='MaddogMonty']Sadly there is not. You could change your existing gamertag for a fee however.[/QUOTE]

A small fee, ya say? Do you have a link or anything describing the process?? Thanks!

I was thinking of changing it to CrazyMotherCanucker heh, but 800 points is quite a lot of coin just to change my name. Seems like a cash (or point) grab to me. I'll just leave it as is, I suppose. Thanks guys!

Well I got 2800 points for $35. If my math is correct (and most likely is not) I am paying 80 points per dollar. So 800 points would cost me $10! Yikes!

[quote name='Wolfkin']oddly enough I'd pay a few bucks to change my PSN name. how much is 800 pts in money anyway?[/QUOTE]

You think they would add a feature like that? They can't even handle voice chat and cross game invites, or more free avatars. Thats the one thing I have been very disappointed in with my PS3, and that is Sony's failure to listen to their core audience and modifying their service accordingly.

Hey Guys,

I've pre-orderd the Mass Effect 2 CE (xbox 360) from Amazon.ca back in November. Now the product page on the website is showing the 'Please sign up to let us notify you when this product becomes available' message instead of a release date, and my shipping estimate has been pushed back from Feb. 4th to Feb. 10th.

Just wondering, does that mean they just can't take any more preorders at the moment, and those who have it preordered already are fine? I've never preordered games from amazon before, so I'm not sure how all that works. Also, if I wanted to play it day 1 would I be able to (if I can find the CE) pick up a copy from say, Best Buy or something, then return the amazon copy to them when it arrives? I've heard of people doing that before but I'm a bit wary of doing it myself. Thanks for your help!

what's so special about day1?

check amazon's support pages, maybe they're clear on how preorders work

i was looking at futureshop & BB preorder info, & they say they ship 2-3 days after release date

[quote name='kn00tcn']what's so special about day1?

check amazon's support pages, maybe they're clear on how preorders work

i was looking at futureshop & BB preorder info, & they say they ship 2-3 days after release date[/QUOTE]

I would like to get my hands on it before amazon's Feb 10th ship date they have for me now, which is a full 2 weeks after release. I was hoping to at least get some playtime in before the Olympics start (have people staying with me, so there will be relatively no time for gaming at all for most of February). That's the only reason I care about day 1. Usually I wouldn't mind waiting a little bit, like I did when I ordered Borderlands and MW2 from Futureshop. But ME2 is one I've been dying to play.

I'll check out their support pages on preorders though, hopefully that can clear up the confusion I have with why the release date has disappeared for the CE. Thanks for the tip.

Edit: Looks like the only reason Amazon removed the release date from the xbox CE because they ran out of preorders. So I should be good since I ordered mine in November. They just had me a bit worried/confused when they did that AND changed my shipping estimate.

Last edited by a moderator:
i've seen my estimates bounce around too, i'm not sure if they have a warehouse/distro in your location

i think i've had an estimated shipping, or at least receiving date to be a week later, but then the item ships the next day & i get it that evening, or the day after (since all amazon.ca stuff comes from the city district next to toronto)

All amazon.ca stuff gets shipped from Mississauga. I know because I used to get things next day when I lived in Ontario. Their shipping to BC varies, but is roughly a week judging by books and stuff I've ordered in the past. I just found it odd they would change my estimated date to almost a week later, so close to the release date.

[quote name='dragon_quarter']Are there any Canadian stores carrying the Fable 2 Platinum Hits version yet?[/QUOTE]
havent seen it yet. i just bought fable 2 (normal) at best buy on boxing day, but it should be soon im guessing

Is amazon.ca not carrying SO4 International? I planned to use my saved up credit to buy it.

EDIT: I checked the usual places, no one seems to be offering a PO for it. Not even EB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick question since I remember hearing about some postage increases so not sure if it affects shipping games/dvds.

Is it still 2 $0.98 stamps to ship out a game within Canada right now? Anyone know?

Thanks!

Anyone have a) any input on Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard (PS3), as in whether it is worth getting cheap? and b) Where can said game be found cheap? I haven't had time to go to EB lately, but I think $15 or less would be reasonable as long as the game isn't too terrible.
I'll be honest, the concept sounds funny, it features NPH's voice, and lots of easy trophies... :X

It's a good concept, delivered poorly. Basically, it turned out mediocre like the original lost planet, or turok. Nothing overly special, but it isn't broken.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Anyone have a) any input on Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard (PS3), as in whether it is worth getting cheap? and b) Where can said game be found cheap? I haven't had time to go to EB lately, but I think $15 or less would be reasonable as long as the game isn't too terrible.
I'll be honest, the concept sounds funny, it features NPH's voice, and lots of easy trophies... :X
[/QUOTE]

http://www.gamestop.ca/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=203803

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/eatleadthereturnofmatthazard

it's at newegg.ca for $12 or $13, i've been wondering too, but my friend happens to have it so i could just borrow or buy off him or something...

Marvel vs Capcom Mad Catz TE stick (or any TE stick)

any deals on these?

I know gamestop in the states reduced the MvC sticks down to $99.99 in the US, but of course in canada they are still 169-189. Ridiculous. I guess I can do a bit of a trade-in with old games to make it a little less, but if anyone knows in the Canadian Gamestop/EBs are going to drop price on these too... then let me know b/c I'd obvi rather wait for that!

bluntegg, I'd be happy to help you get one. Granted I'd have to ship it to you but I do this sort of thing each and every day and even have a service / business set up to do it :) You'd still be saving $40-$50 total probably. Let me know if you'd be interested. Thanks!

thanks for the reply... I've actually considered doing that, but with the weight of the TE sticks it totally kills the deal. It's ~30-40 for shipping to canada alone... I believe they are around 6.5lbs with a bigass box too. I have about $40 worth of trade-ins I can do here to make the stick around $120 cdn... still mulling it over though!

bluntegg, I've shipped several of these in the past (the SFIV sticks) and if I remember correctly they weigh about 9 pounds shipped. So here's an estimate of what it'd cost you:

Item #1 - Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 Fight Stick (PS3 or Xbox 360) - $106.00
Additional Information / Details: Either system (Xbox 360 or PS3). Same price on website, both in stock. Charges 6% Sales Tax for CT Residents
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$106.00 - Sum of all items requested
$ 5.00 - GFC Service Charge for Services for items over 5 Pounds
$ 33.50 - Estimated Shipping Charges [9 Pounds Shipped USPS Priority Mail]
-----------------------------------------------------
$144.50 USD - ORDER TOTAL (Estimated)

This is what I came up with as an estimate on my GFC website's Direct Request calculator. If you were looking to trade in games, let me know what ones you had and maybe I'd be interested :) I accept Amazon Gift Cards as credit and game trades as well. Something to think about anyhow. Thanks!

[quote name='j940651']Does EB give trade credit for used 360 headsets and 20GB HDDs?[/QUOTE]

I've read of individuals trading in HDDs for credit, and they sell used headsets on gamestop.ca, so I would think they'd take them in. Although they sell the headsets for $10 used, so the TIV won't be decent at any rate.

bread's done
Back