Canadian Questions & Answers Thread

gamer602

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I've seen so many different thrread that the forum is getting messy. Since we have an official trading thread, maybe we can have an official one for questions too, because after all, this is the Canadian HOT DEALS forum! It's not right when we have more questions than deals. You can ask any question you wan there, ranging from the cheapest 360, HDTVGame delays, Canadian game rental sites all the way to where the cheapest copy of Burnout is. I can assure you that you will get the same amout of replies here, if not more!

POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!

[quote name='game_fanatic']I've read of individuals trading in HDDs for credit, and they sell used headsets on gamestop.ca, so I would think they'd take them in. Although they sell the headsets for $10 used, so the TIV won't be decent at any rate.[/QUOTE]

Figured I'd just confirm, but yes, EB/Gamestop takes hard drives separately from system trade-ins as well as taking headsets. I think you get about $5 for headsets, and hard drives are around $20 for a 20 GB.

[quote name='Median']Figured I'd just confirm, but yes, EB/Gamestop takes hard drives separately from system trade-ins as well as taking headsets. I think you get about $5 for headsets, and hard drives are around $20 for a 20 GB.[/QUOTE]

Do you happen to know if they accept trade ins of the god awful vision camera?

[quote name='game_fanatic']Did you try Goozex, Cthulhu8u? They have it for 350 points and it seems to be available in some form or another (disc or disc + manual)[/QUOTE]

I've never dealt with goozex. It sounds cool but it would just be some other thing for me to track and keep on top of. I'd rather kick it old school and purchase or swap locally. Thanks though!

[quote name='Median'] and hard drives are around $20 for a 20 GB.[/QUOTE]

Nope. Only $10 for a used 20GB HDD.
Oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Gamin_Guru']Just wondering but how much old in get from EB for a DS lite with stylus no charger ?[/QUOTE]
Nothing, because they'll only take it for trade if it has a charger. At least, that's what is written.

Is the T3G1F working on current releases (like Dantes Inferno, Bioshock 2, ME2) at EBgames in Vancouver? Are taxes covered too in BC?

[quote name='game_fanatic']Has anyone tried mailing two DVD-sized games in a single bubble mailer? If so, anyone know the cost? Thanks![/QUOTE]

not sure how much it costs off the top of my head, but it's cheaper to get a bigger bubble mailer and place the dvds side by side as opposed to stacking them on top of each other.

[quote name='Zygote']Is the T3G1F working on current releases (like Dantes Inferno, Bioshock 2, ME2) at EBgames in Vancouver? Are taxes covered too in BC?[/QUOTE]

I don't know about the T3G1F, but I do know that taxes are covered in BC.

[quote name='game_fanatic']Has anyone tried mailing two DVD-sized games in a single bubble mailer? If so, anyone know the cost? Thanks![/QUOTE]

I can not see them shipping this as LetterMail.

Any Xbox 360 game with an extra manual in the factory seal is close to not fitting through for LetterMail so I can assure two games would not fit unless they were standing on top of eachother.

[quote name='Peroxide']I can not see them shipping this as LetterMail.

Any Xbox 360 game with an extra manual in the factory seal is close to not fitting through for LetterMail so I can assure two games would not fit unless they were standing on top of eachother.[/QUOTE]

that's what i meant with my above post. don't stack them, put them flat side by side. that way it fits through the slot and it's cheaper to ship.

Anyone work at Blockbuster? Anyone see a return of the popular "$10 Minimum Game Trade-In"?

I live in a small apt. I don't have kids or kids' friends.
I hate trading in my games for $1.00ish or LESS sometimes.
Curious.

I'm pretty sure BBV stopped doing that once they realised that all they're getting for 10 minimum trade-in games are the annual trash that other stores have to pay to get rid of. I see stacks of 5 dollar sports titles that I KNOW were from their minimum trade in days.

So if there's going to be another one, there's gonna be a long ass exception list.

[quote name='poiuiu']I'm pretty sure BBV stopped doing that once they realised that all they're getting for 10 minimum trade-in games are the annual trash that other stores have to pay to get rid of. I see stacks of 5 dollar sports titles that I KNOW were from their minimum trade in days.

So if there's going to be another one, there's gonna be a long ass exception list.[/QUOTE]

In my short "career" as a Trader/CAGer I've seen 2 of these Promos from BBV.
During the 2nd one it was well known and circulated amongst us all that under no circumstances would they take any sports games.
That resulted in BBV losing out on a ton of copies of UFC and kickass Racing games. (oops!)

Not sure where else to post this, I live in Toronto and my PS3 got the YLOD yesterday. Did a quick google search and ended up taking it to this guy: consolerepairs.ca. Fixed it overnight for $100 flat w 90 day warranty, works like new again, hopefully it lasts. You might want to consider this if your PS3 dies, I think it costs $190 to send it to Sony and they may not send the same console back.

I bought Mass Effect 2 and Tropico 3 (both new) for the 360 today at EB and to my surprise, my grand total was a lot less than what I expected it to be. Was this a random promotion that I never heard of or did I just get very lucky and got a nice CSR?

I bought ME2 because of the $59.99 deal but anyways, I don't have a scanner handy, but I'll post what I have on my receipt.

PO - Mass Effect 2 36 - 44.99
6168389 598/700
Orig Price: 54.99 each
Disc: 5.00 Match EB
Disc: 5.00 GMR 10%

Tropico 3 XB360 - 39.99
6196679 398/700

EB EDGE Discount - 5.00
6032163 326/300
S Num: etc, etc

Subtotal - 89.98

And yes, they were both new copies and I somehow got an Edge card to go along with it...
Can anyone explain what just happened?

[quote name='spzero']I bought Mass Effect 2 and Tropico 3 (both new) for the 360 today at EB and to my surprise, my grand total was a lot less than what I expected it to be. Was this a random promotion that I never heard of or did I just get very lucky and got a nice CSR?

I bought ME2 because of the $59.99 deal but anyways, I don't have a scanner handy, but I'll post what I have on my receipt.

And yes, they were both new copies and I somehow got an Edge card to go along with it...
Can anyone explain what just happened?[/QUOTE]

Looks like you got charged for the used price of ME2 ($55), then an additional $5 off for "Match EB" (no idea what this is), then got 10% off $50 (EDGE discount).

Awesome! Then I just got a happy CSR because I certainly didn't have an EDGE card prior to the transaction, and well, I got one while it basically paid itself off immediately.

I'm guessing the Match EB is a sort of price match thing?

will the exclusive EA DLC codes found on US dr. pepper caps work in Canada?
i know you have to have an EA account and enter the codes online like Mass Effect 2.
so im wondering if they let Canadian IP addresses enter the codes.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']^^Yes, worked for me.[/QUOTE]
Can you PM me the process?
Did you have to make a fake login on the Dr. Pepper page?
Did you get to choose the DLC?
It's all very confusing.
Thanks!

First time I've ever gotten an EDGE card. Just to make sure, it gives me 10% off used games/accessories right? Does it do anything else?

EDIT: Nevermind. I don't know how I missed it in the website.

Anyone seen Dualshock 3 controllers for cheaper than the standard $55 anywhere? I want the blue one. I saw red for $50 and silver for $45 at Game Centre in Toronto. The blue had no price tag, will call them tomorrow and ask.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Anyone seen Dualshock 3 controllers for cheaper than the standard $55 anywhere? I want the blue one. I saw red for $50 and silver for $45 at Game Centre in Toronto. The blue had no price tag, will call them tomorrow and ask.[/QUOTE]

$40 at TRuS right now, but you have to buy a Greatest Hits game. RCSS had it on sale a while ago for $45, maybe it will come back soon?

Thanks for the tip, I don't want any GH games. I don't suppose selling the game right after would get me much, they're probably only worth $10-15 trade in value. Hmm God of War collection is included, great game but I have it. :(

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Thanks for the tip, I don't want any GH games. I don't suppose selling the game right after would get me much, they're probably only worth $10-15 trade in value. Hmm God of War collection is included, great game but I have it. :([/QUOTE]

but it's still sealed, as if it's a regular GH isnt it? so 'worth' 20 or 25

i got uncharted1+controller bundle (the official sony bundles with the special packaging) a couple months ago from amazon, $50 was it?

[quote name='kn00tcn']but it's still sealed, as if it's a regular GH isnt it? so 'worth' 20 or 25

i got uncharted1+controller bundle (the official sony bundles with the special packaging) a couple months ago from amazon, $50 was it?[/QUOTE]
Not sure what you mean by sealed. Stores don't give you more credit for sealed games, in fact a lot of times they won't accept a sealed game. When I said it wouldn't be worth much I meant for trade in value. Not sure what you meant.

You could hold onto GoW Collection and use it for a Trade-2 at Future Shop. Depending on the game you get, it could be "worth" $35. Also if you use it for a Trade-2 or Trade-3 it can be "worth" around $20-25.

I think that's what he meant. Selling it privately for $20-25 isn't going to get you a lot of interest IMO.

Ah I'm getting what he meant now. Anyway, I already went with Game Centre and traded them a heavily used Dualshock 3 and wonky Sixaxis plus Street Fighter 4 and $10 for my new blue DS3. They were gonna give me $12 for SF4 but I talked them up to $15. Unfortunately they charged me tax for the whole $50 even though I covered $40 of it in trade ins.

I mentioned this before, but anyone in Toronto looking for DS3, Game Centre on Danforth has blue & red for $50 and they had a silver at $45 for some reason.

sell, instead of return to a store for TIV, since the sealed game looks & pretty much is the same thing as if it were standalone on the shelf

while, for example, my warhawk from goozex says 'not for resale', so it must have been the case that came with the headset

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Anyone seen Dualshock 3 controllers for cheaper than the standard $55 anywhere? I want the blue one. I saw red for $50 and silver for $45 at Game Centre in Toronto. The blue had no price tag, will call them tomorrow and ask.[/QUOTE]

Hi

i'm not sure if you have one up in Toronto but here in Halifax,NS at our Costco they have blue controllers for $47.99 plus tax so if you have one in Toronto hopefully it will be the same price. hope all goes well for you :)

in the flyer for Best Buy it says Starting Each for $54.99 ( it had splinter cell, Red Dead Redemption and two other titles ) but having to put down a $10 deposit and getting the $5 dollar BB Gift Card but on the website the game says it's for $69.99

so really how is the game starting at $54.99 when online it says $69.99 ?

Does Best Buy usually pull this Kinda stunt alot or just from time too time ? it may be a In-Store only thing so i may give a call but i'm just asking you folks here first before i call and get a answer at Best Buy.

[quote name='JamesSoprano']in the flyer for Best Buy it says Starting Each for $54.99 ( it had splinter cell, Red Dead Redemption and two other titles ) but having to put down a $10 deposit and getting the $5 dollar BB Gift Card but on the website the game says it's for $69.99

so really how is the game starting at $54.99 when online it says $69.99 ?

Does Best Buy usually pull this Kinda stunt alot or just from time too time ? it may be a In-Store only thing so i may give a call but i'm just asking you folks here first before i call and get a answer at Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

Could be a flyer typo; no one here seems to know, so best to check with Best Buy in-store.

[quote name='TripleQ']One of those games pictured is probably $54.99... that's what they mean by "starting at".. deceptive.[/QUOTE]

I just called and i asked and i said how is the game starting price $54.99 when yet it's $69.99 ? and they said the same thing you mentioned. ONE of the 4 games advertised could be for $54.99 that doesn't mean Red Dead Redemption will go for $54.99.

is it me or is that really stupid. why not just throw the $69.99 price tage and then if something changes for price put it in the flyer and if we didn't see it in the flyer we would automaticly get charged for lesser price. unless you pay it in full you would probably get the money back UNLESS they decide too say hey we will give it back in Gift card not actual cash which would suck. anyways i thought it was a Legit starting point price for all four games.

i dunno the game looks great but for $70 how about no. i refuse to buy a game for $70 looks like 3D Dot Game Heros will be getting my attention only now for the May release Games !

Just thought i post too let you all know.

Has anyone noticed any deals on Infinite Space? Every place seems to be selling it for $40. I'm slightly on the fence about it, but it does look like something I'd enjoy.

marketplaces -> addresses -> Add Address -> Country

When adding an address, how do I set the country to Canada? It is automatically filled in as "USA". Also, it states the following: "The country field is automatically set based on your region settings."

Question:

Has anyone still been able to price-match Just Cause 2 at Future Shop or Best Buy through Walmart.ca? According to the site its still $39.83 so it looks like the deal is still on???

[quote name='kiekko']marketplaces -> addresses -> Add Address -> Country

When adding an address, how do I set the country to Canada? It is automatically filled in as "USA". Also, it states the following: "The country field is automatically set based on your region settings."[/QUOTE]

that's normal

Does anyone know where to buy replacement Nintendo DS game cases? Looking to get all of my GBA games into proper case, not the standard cardboard boxes they come in heh.

[quote name='game_fanatic']Does anyone know where to buy replacement Nintendo DS game cases? Looking to get all of my GBA games into proper case, not the standard cardboard boxes they come in heh.[/QUOTE]
I bought a bunch through Nintendo's online store a few years back to do the same thing. The only problem is that the instruction manuals don't fit in them nicely.

bread's done
Back