Canadian Questions & Answers Thread

gamer602

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I've seen so many different thrread that the forum is getting messy. Since we have an official trading thread, maybe we can have an official one for questions too, because after all, this is the Canadian HOT DEALS forum! It's not right when we have more questions than deals. You can ask any question you wan there, ranging from the cheapest 360, HDTVGame delays, Canadian game rental sites all the way to where the cheapest copy of Burnout is. I can assure you that you will get the same amout of replies here, if not more!

POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Anyone seen a DS Action Replay for cheap? It's apparently standard $20 in the US and over $30 here. Going to check out Game Centre in a few minutes.[/QUOTE]
If you can find one, EB has 30% off today and next Monday as well with coupon.

[quote name='Clark.Griswold']If you can find one, EB has 30% off today and next Monday as well with coupon.[/QUOTE]
I just read that EB thread, but how would I get that coupon? Hmm nevermind, the one store near me that shows it in stock on the website didn't have it when I called. Game Centre doesn't have it either, maybe Kijiji... Damn nothing on Kijiji or Craigslist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if I can ask this here, but...does anyone have any experience buying from the website AmiAmi? There’s this figure that I want, and it’s cheapest here ($65ish), but they don’t give shipping charges right away. I’ve actually already preordered the figure from Play-asia, because I wanted to know the total ($84, but $104 after shipping), but if AmiAmi is the better choice, I’ll gladly switch.

Anyone here bought from them before, or have any experiences they’d like to share? I’m completely new to the figure-collecting scene.

For the curious, the figure I want is the amazing Yuri Lowell.

I can't vouch for AmiAmi, however Hobbysearch has Yuri for 340 yen more and I can definitely vouch for them.

Not sure if that helps though

I ended up picking up that Action Replay DS at Blockbuster for $30. At Game Centre they had Pokemon Emerald for $59.99! It was in the box but not sealed or anything, WTF? I was gonna ask if that was a joke but the guy was busy.

[quote name='maigoyume']I can't vouch for AmiAmi, however Hobbysearch has Yuri for 340 yen more and I can definitely vouch for them.

Not sure if that helps though[/QUOTE]

It helps. HS another place I was considering ordering from. I'll just look up a bit more info about each one on the net and then make my decision. Thanks! :D

[quote name='TronB']It helps. HS another place I was considering ordering from. I'll just look up a bit more info about each one on the net and then make my decision. Thanks! :D[/QUOTE]You also get points for each order at HS that can be used to discount your next order, every little bit helps :)

The points system looks like a good idea. In my case, even if I applied the points I would have gotten for Yuri towards the second figure that I want to preorder, it would still be more expensive at HS. From what I can tell, AmiAmi seems to be cheaper overall if you're only buying a few figures. I think.

Anyway, I'll change from Play-asia to AmiAmi (although the biggest downfall is that you can't cancel your order once you've placed it, but I know I want him 100% so no issues there) for Yuri, and probably use HS for any future pruchases.

Thanks for all the input! This new world I've found is going to make my wallet cry.

On amazon.ca marketplace, I used to be able to see the condition of a listed item, like, say, disc only, damaged label, cracked case, etc., what they would call the "seller's note". Now the seller's note is gone, all I can see used - great/good/acceptable condition.

So if I were to buy something, there's no way to know if I'm getting a complete or partial copy anymore?

Are any of you guys aware that the stores haven't been getting any PSN Cards? I wanted to buy one today at EB so I could buy Press Your Luck and Motor Toon Grand Prix and the guy said they haven't had any cards in a month and aren't going to get any until September 9 or something. He didn't know why they stopped shipping them. He said it might have to do with the new SKUs or possibly the cards not working with the new firmware.

Yeah, 'bout a week back I went to rent GOWIII at Blockbuster, and was planning on getting $20 card. Guy only had $50 cards left. He said he got a notice from Sony that they weren't going to get any cards until a couple of weeks into September. Something about people buying up the $20 cards for the new MW2 map packs.

I went to Wal-mart after to get Heavy Rain for $30, and they only had $50 cards there aswell.

Anyways, I found a bunch at my nearest 7 Eleven. That's probably your best bet I'd say.

@VetraX

Not for me. 7-11 pulled out of the Ottawa market this year and their stores are now Quickies. Well, maybe the Quickies will have them or even Microplay. I really want to play Press Your Luck. I loved that game when it was on T.V. in the 1980's and when they aired it on GSN.

EDIT: Future Shop had a whole bunch of them.

[quote name='lustyhitter']@VetraX

Not for me. 7-11 pulled out of the Ottawa market this year and their stores are now Quickies. Well, maybe the Quickies will have them or even Microplay. I really want to play Press Your Luck. I loved that game when it was on T.V. in the 1980's and when they aired it on GSN.

EDIT: Future Shop had a whole bunch of them.[/QUOTE]

Wow, this is only one of many reasons to want to get out of Ottawa.

I completely missed that this happened. (7-11 closing in Ottawa)

Was planning on picking up Fable II and a 2800MS points card. So far they're both at $19.99 and $39.99, which would put me down about $67. Is there any places I can get a deal for either of these items, or are there any better prices elsewhere? Planning on picking these up at EBGames, btw, even though it's the same price at Futureshop or Best Buy.

For points cards your best bet is to wait for a FS/BB 'special' sale where they are 10%-20% off. Fable II has been on sale periodically, but I can't recall it being cheaper than $19.99.

[quote name='gsrce']Wow, this is only one of many reasons to want to get out of Ottawa.

I completely missed that this happened. (7-11 closing in Ottawa)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, me too. I want out of this minor league city. This place is only fun if you're rich. There's nothing here for the poor to enjoy.

How the blazes do you people pay for things online up here? It's the most frustrating thing on earth all my accounts were created in the US and they worked fine down there but up here i can't change the addresses to anything Canadian. It's driving me crazy.

Let me start with something simple. Ebay. I'm trying to buy something on Ebay. managed to login to Ebay.ca and got my Can addy on there but then I have to pay.. with paypal.. and i can't figure out how to add a bloody Candian address.

Anyone know where I could get FIFA 11 early? I see some places already have it in stock, just won't sell it.

I live in Calgary BTW.

[quote name='kn00tcn']isnt that a paypal issue? are you using the same account you used that has an american address?[/QUOTE]

yeah I'm using my same account and I can't figure out how to add a Canadian address. there'sno province option. I've tried logging in thru paypal.ca but it looks exactly the same.

If you can't find any option to use a Canadian address you may need to contact their staff. Though, the staff might just tell you to make a new account.

Just wondering what my best option would be if I was to buy the 250GB slim Xbox 360? Looks like it's $300 everywhere. Any suggestions would be really appreciated, thanks.

Wait a bit? The new slims (esp the 4GB) seem to be discounted or bundled with games quite a bit so they're probably relatively high margin.. meaning there is room for more bundles/discounts in the near future.

I noticed you get 2 games with the 250GB at Futureshop, but they're games I have no interest in or already own for PS3. Guess I'll wait and see if something appealing comes up. Thanks.

[quote name='Wolfkin']hey the fact that paypal will indeed accept Can addresses that's more information than i was able to verify.[/QUOTE]

do you have a canadian bank account to use?

also i always use pp.COM anyway

what's in your 'add funds page'?
from bank account in canada - 6-8days
from bank account in usa - 3-5days

& the 'add bank account' page, should be a dropdown where you pick usa or canada

doesnt seem like there should be any issue... unless you're missing things due to the american address the account was created with?

i could ask american friends if they can add canadian stuff

yeah i have accounts on both ends of the border. it's looking like I may have to create a whole new paypal account which is insane to me but if it gets the job done I guess I'll do it.

[quote name='Wolfkin']yeah i have accounts on both ends of the border. it's looking like I may have to create a whole new paypal account which is insane to me but if it gets the job done I guess I'll do it.[/QUOTE]

Did you just move to Toronto too?

I'm having the same problems as you. I have a Paypal(.COM) balance and wanted to use it to buy something from a US company. The company shipped to Canada, no problem, but I couldn't get Paypal to indicate that the shipment should go to a Canadian address.

Paypal seems to frown upon multiple accounts for the same person, so I've been hesitant to open a CA account since I don't want my balance locked.

yeah I kinda moved here and buying stuff online has been a pain in the neck the entire two years. luckily I could use the paypal plugin for virtual CCs but now that that's gone. I'm running out of options. I really need to get a real CC and that'd take care of 90% of this.

Hey guys, I just received a shipping notice from FedEx saying I owe them $18 for duties. The only thing I can think of that I would owe duties on would be a) A Blizzard CD Box Set that I ordered yesterday, b) a game from Goozex, or c) a stand from DealExtreme.

I'm leaning towards C, but I'm not sure why I would be charge $18 in duty for a $4.50 item? Any thoughts?

Is it possible it's the item I ordered from Blizzard? When I placed my order at Blizzard, it said it was being delivered w/ UPS Worldwide Expedited, is it possible it switched hands over to FedEx while crossing the border?

What is the best deal for Fallout NV at this point? I wanted the Best Buy 800 points but they won't let me order it, no stock. Seems like Futureshop with free Mad Max is the next best option but I don't really care about Mad Max. After that Amazon has it for $60 with some pre-order items (don't care too much about these) and then everyone else has it for $65-70 with no bonuses. Am I missing anything? I looked at Best Buy's trade 2 list but I either don't have the required games or don't want to give them up.

Well I went to Best Buy and pre-ordered there, one employee said if it shows 800 pts on the website then I'll get them. The other employee told me they have never done pre-orders online. I said WHAT?

Watch out, last time I tried to price match at Futureshop they gathered a group of literally 5 employees to pore over the ad and tell me all the reasons why they don't have to and won't match it.

Has anyone been to Gamestop lately and noticed the new or used price of MAG? I wouldn't mind picking it up, but their website shows it still as 59.99... where as everywhere else it is 29.99. It seems odd, considering it is a greatest hits. I just wanted to see if anyone had seen it for 29.99 in stores or not.

Also speaking of crazy pricing, Best Buy have had these PSP download vouchers for games like LBP and God of War at $40 forever while the UMD and PSN store versions have dropped to $20. Get a clue, jeez. It's been that way for months.

[quote name='craig64']Has anyone been to Gamestop lately and noticed the new or used price of MAG? I wouldn't mind picking it up, but their website shows it still as 59.99... where as everywhere else it is 29.99. It seems odd, considering it is a greatest hits. I just wanted to see if anyone had seen it for 29.99 in stores or not.[/QUOTE]

I've seen it as 29.99 new in store

sorry for the lame question but I forget if I've asked before.

I have a US account. Since there's no way to change it to Canada I've pretty much had to buy it using my US credit cards. My question is if I buy some PSN cards will they work or are they region locked like say UK cards would be.

bread's done
Back