Canadian Questions & Answers Thread

gamer602

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I've seen so many different thrread that the forum is getting messy. Since we have an official trading thread, maybe we can have an official one for questions too, because after all, this is the Canadian HOT DEALS forum! It's not right when we have more questions than deals. You can ask any question you wan there, ranging from the cheapest 360, HDTVGame delays, Canadian game rental sites all the way to where the cheapest copy of Burnout is. I can assure you that you will get the same amout of replies here, if not more!

POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!

[quote name='Wolfkin']um.. games are games. they'll take them back no matter what. Even if they could somehow tell from the box it wasn't from Canada originally.. you could just trade in the disc and since we're all the same region they wouldn't know.

When you buy a 'gutted' game. They put a clear sticker on it. now it's officially 'sealed' and you can return it like a sealed game if you don't break that sticker. If you DO break that sticker .. you can return it like any other used game.

and just for the record both of those statements should apply across the border in both directions. I don't know how they would handle a european PS2 game since those wouldn't play back but Canada/US... no biggie.[/QUOTE]

yea except i know as a fact places like FS dont accept the disc themselves. they require the box, at least for their current trade in promo.
btw i just found out they actually go by the upc code on the box, which have to match the one on their system in order for the trade-in to go through.

but the UPCs should be the same even if the artwork is different (to accommodate french text). well hey even if I am wrong at least you have an answer.

for most games they probably are i guess

splitsecond or blur had bestbuy exclusive versions, call of duty has french only versions that actually have separate DLCs to get as per the version, same for shaun white snowboarding (there was a target edition or something)

What the heck, it's unbelievable how much Best Buy hypes the Rewardzone program but many times if not every time I order online my points don't show up and I have to "get missing points" and enter the contract ID to get them to show up. I just hope they also add my bonus 800 points for pre-ordering.

Hey everyone, I am trying to find a cheap memory stick for my PSP. I am hoping to snag a 16 or 32gb stick and I was hoping someone knows a place that sells them cheaper than Futureshop or BestBuy.

So far the best choice I have found is amazon where I could get 2 8GB sticks.

Any suggestions?

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']What the heck, it's unbelievable how much Best Buy hypes the Rewardzone program but many times if not every time I order online my points don't show up and I have to "get missing points" and enter the contract ID to get them to show up. I just hope they also add my bonus 800 points for pre-ordering.[/QUOTE]

They still haven't recognize my Dragon Age 2 pre-order purchase. I sent them 2 messages from their reward site, and I get same generic email about 36 days before points are posted. I inputted my global contact ID from my receipt and still nothing. When I tried the contact ID again and says accepted for validation.

[quote name='Zeitgeist']Hey everyone, I am trying to find a cheap memory stick for my PSP. I am hoping to snag a 16 or 32gb stick and I was hoping someone knows a place that sells them cheaper than Futureshop or BestBuy.

So far the best choice I have found is amazon where I could get 2 8GB sticks.

Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Hands down the best/cheapest way to load up a PSP is to get an adapter like this:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/micro-sd-tf-to-ms-pro-duo-adapter-black-42312

Then load up a pair of cheap MicroSD cards. You can find name brand 16GB cards occasionally on sale for ~$20, so you can get a 32GB stick for

[quote name='retro.elite']They still haven't recognize my Dragon Age 2 pre-order purchase. I sent them 2 messages from their reward site, and I get same generic email about 36 days before points are posted. I inputted my global contact ID from my receipt and still nothing. When I tried the contact ID again and says accepted for validation.[/QUOTE]
I had the same problem with 95% of my orders. Even when I gave them my contract ID they didn't add them. It happened recently with my Pokemon games. I waited a few days and wrote a pissed, but polite e-mail to them and they added them no problem.

Fellow CAG's I am looking for a new copy of Final Fantasy Crisis Core. Sony recently announced that it was a PSP favorite, as such it should cost $9.99 new. I can't find it in any local stores and the Canadian online retailers all want $19.99 and up. I really would prefer to pick it up locally and not order online.

I live in Red Deer Alberta, so I have most major chains locally, any ideas?

I have checked BB, FS, HMV and Walmarts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Could someone do me a favor and try to log into bestbuy's rewardzone website? I just had them add some points to my account and now it's not recognizing my member ID. Hoping their system is screwed up and my account hasn't been deleted or something.

I was wondering if anyone has canceled their Visa card in response to the Playstation Network hack. What did you tell them and did they have any problem replacing it? Were they familiar with the situation? For a while now I've been figuring it's not worth worrying about but lately I'm beginning to think the smart move is to just get a new card for peace of mind.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']I was wondering if anyone has canceled their Visa card in response to the Playstation Network hack. What did you tell them and did they have any problem replacing it? Were they familiar with the situation? For a while now I've been figuring it's not worth worrying about but lately I'm beginning to think the smart move is to just get a new card for peace of mind.[/QUOTE]

My brother's out of town and all he did was call and tell them the current card might be compromise and he wants to cancel his current card, and for renewing the card he'll get to it once he's back home.

They gave him no trouble at all and were very nice about it.. It generally costs the credit card company 3-5 dollars to replace a card, so if everyone switched their card because of the psn inncident, the credit card companies are losing quite a bit of money (plus down time because the person won't be doing any purchases while waiting for their cards to get replace).. Nothing compare to the billions they make per year though.

Anyone else order LA Noire from BB.ca and still not have it shipped? I was hoping they'd ship on Monday but they didn't even charge my credit card til yesterday and no sign of any progress since then. I read that a plane screwed up delivery of the game to Amazon.com and wondered if we got a delivery screw up too. It shows as being out of stock on BB.ca website. I was looking forward to playing the game!

Regarding the issue people including me have had where BestBuy.ca doesn't automatically add your reward points from online orders, I just talked to them on the phone yet again to have them manually add the points and she explained what's up. She says the points had been applied to my account, but not released to my account. So they (customer service) can see them on my account and then they manually release it. She said the reason Get Missing Points doesn't work is because that purchase has already been applied to the account. I told her I've been having that problem for a while and she said it's "a glitch in the system that sometimes happens," something their technicians are aware of and are trying to figure out why it's happening. So I guess I'll have to continue calling them up to get my points. Pain in the ass but nothing I can do about it. She said the points will now show up on my account within 24 hours.

What the hell, over the weekend I noticed they had added like 800 points to my account, it wasn't exactly right but I was going to let it slide. Now the new points are gone and the two purchases I called about are not reflected on my account at all. Have to call them again about the same damn purchases they supposedly added.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know where else to ask this...

We're in Canada for a few years, so we've kept using our US Xbox Live accounts and getting US points cards. We've had no issues.

Until now. My son wants Call of Duty Black Ops Escalation and some other DLC, and we get the "not available in your region" error. Does anyone know if this is region locked specifically for US.

We were able to download Left 4 Dead 2 DLC a couple of weeks ago, so it seems the most likely explanation is that Activision region locked the CoD stuff specifically to the US.

Can I create a Canadian account along with our other accounts, get a Canadian points card, and download it?

[quote name='blandstalker']Don't know where else to ask this...

We're in Canada for a few years, so we've kept using our US Xbox Live accounts and getting US points cards. We've had no issues.

Until now. My son wants Call of Duty Black Ops Escalation and some other DLC, and we get the "not available in your region" error. Does anyone know if this is region locked specifically for US.

We were able to download Left 4 Dead 2 DLC a couple of weeks ago, so it seems the most likely explanation is that Activision region locked the CoD stuff specifically to the US.

Can I create a Canadian account along with our other accounts, get a Canadian points card, and download it?[/QUOTE]

I looked around a bit on the web, and it appears that many people have suffered similar issues. I also recall some discussion about Fallout 3 DLCs being Canada-specific (though the Black Ops problems seem to affect any inter-country download). It does sound like if you have a Canadian copy of Black Ops, you will have to use a Canadian account to download the DLC. It's weird though; my copy doesn't have any French on it and doesn't seem to have anything that would distinguish it as Canadian. There's someone who had suggested using a VPN to dummy a US IP address; if you're desperate, you could maybe try that? Here's the link:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/fdd4y/treyarch_region_encoding_call_of_duty_black_ops/

Thanks for the reply and the link. The VPN sounded like too much work, but someone on that site had a similar situation to mine and Treyarch told him to create a Canadian account.

I figure if they're recommending it, it would probably work. And it did. I changed the console's location to Canada, created a new Live account, got a points card, and it worked fine.

I'm expecting my Ocarina 3D from Bestbuy.ca to be shipped Monday and delivered Tuesday. If I went and bought the game in real life at BB on Monday do you guys think there'd be a problem with me opening the store-bought game and then trying to return the online ordered game with the store receipt? The reason I want the game one day earlier is to get the free soundtrack CD, that offer expires Monday at midnight.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']I'm expecting my Ocarina 3D from Bestbuy.ca to be shipped Monday and delivered Tuesday. If I went and bought the game in real life at BB on Monday do you guys think there'd be a problem with me opening the store-bought game and then trying to return the online ordered game with the store receipt? The reason I want the game one day earlier is to get the free soundtrack CD, that offer expires Monday at midnight.[/QUOTE]
I expect no problem at all and that's exactly what I'll be doing tomorrow if the game isn't waiting for me when I get home.

I hate to go through all that hassle just to get a free CD that I'll probably just rip to my computer and listen to one time... but man I just want it. I feel entitled to it for pre-ordering the game and don't want to get screwed out of it for being a dedicated enough Zelda fan to order the game months in advance. Nintendo is basically saying FU to all online shoppers.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']I hate to go through all that hassle just to get a free CD that I'll probably just rip to my computer and listen to one time... but man I just want it. I feel entitled to it for pre-ordering the game and don't want to get screwed out of it for being a dedicated enough Zelda fan to order the game months in advance. Nintendo is basically saying FU to all online shoppers.[/QUOTE]

The Monday at midnight deadline is actually an extension of the offer; the original wording was "while supplies last" and the initial supply was exhausted very quickly, while some people who did register didn't have the offer appear. If Nintendo hadn't changed it (partially due to these technical difficulties), it would already be too late by now for anyone to get it.

I'm just going to wait for my game to show up from Purolator, I don't need the CD. I would have liked to have it but it's not worth running around buying and returning an extra copy of the game. Kinda disappointed still.

Got notified that Purolator picked up my game from BB at 7:52pm, should have it tomorrow. Shaq fu happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
How strange, Bestbuy.ca shipped my Zelda on Monday (release date was Sunday) and I just got an email today (Tues) that said this:

Thank you for pre-ordering The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D. Unfortunately, due to logistical issues, it is likely that there will be a delay in the shipment of this product by 2-3 days depending on the delivery destination.

And then they apologized, said they try to ship pre-order items ASAP, and gave me a coupon for $10 off. I've had pre-orders that shipped 2-3 days after release date and they never apologized before, LA Noire was one. So weird. At least I got $10 out of it.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']How strange, Bestbuy.ca shipped my Zelda on Monday (release date was Sunday) and I just got an email today (Tues) that said this:

Thank you for pre-ordering The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D. Unfortunately, due to logistical issues, it is likely that there will be a delay in the shipment of this product by 2-3 days depending on the delivery destination.

And then they apologized, said they try to ship pre-order items ASAP, and gave me a coupon for $10 off. I've had pre-orders that shipped 2-3 days after release date and they never apologized before, LA Noire was one. So weird. At least I got $10 out of it.[/QUOTE]
same here..

Man, Nintendo had the nerve to ask me in the Zelda product registration survey whether the free CD played a part in my decision to buy the game early. The CD offer already expired, thanks for rubbing it in Nintendo. I read that in the EU region they have until June 30 to register for the CD.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']How strange, Bestbuy.ca shipped my Zelda on Monday (release date was Sunday) and I just got an email today (Tues) that said this:

And then they apologized, said they try to ship pre-order items ASAP, and gave me a coupon for $10 off. I've had pre-orders that shipped 2-3 days after release date and they never apologized before, LA Noire was one. So weird. At least I got $10 out of it.[/QUOTE]
I got an e-mail at 6:13 in the morning saying mine just shipped and they sent that delayed e-mail to me at 11:32 in the morning. They had Infamous 2 delayed for me as well and cancelled that order but gave me a $5 digital dollars code to use toward re-ordering. But hey, free money!

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Man, Nintendo had the nerve to ask me in the Zelda product registration survey whether the free CD played a part in my decision to buy the game early. The CD offer already expired, thanks for rubbing it in Nintendo. I read that in the EU region they have until June 30 to register for the CD.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you'll luck out and get one yet. From the Club Nintendo site:

"Thank you for your interest in this offer. All members who registered the game by 12:01am Pacific Time Tuesday, June 21, 2011 will receive the CD. Beyond this date, we will continue to send CDs to registrants on a first-come, first-serve basis, while supplies last."

[quote name='Derfel']Maybe you'll luck out and get one yet. From the Club Nintendo site:

"Thank you for your interest in this offer. All members who registered the game by 12:01am Pacific Time Tuesday, June 21, 2011 will receive the CD. Beyond this date, we will continue to send CDs to registrants on a first-come, first-serve basis, while supplies last."[/QUOTE]
Wow, thanks for the info. I registered mine around 3:30pm today as soon as I got the wrapper off after Purolator showed up. Awesome game BTW, it's so familiar but yet so new.

With all the hassle dealing with BestBuy's Rewardzone points and their screwed up system I found a silver lining today. It seems they gave me the 800 points for Zelda 3D twice. Once when I emailed them and they manually added it as "goodwill" and then a second time as "800 points when you preorder" Pain in the ass system, but this bonus credit helps! When I emailed I complained that they don't seem too eager to fix their glitch but they didn't respond to that, they just added the missing points. Now I know I can get my points by emailing them and I don't have to call on the phone every time, that helps too.

how do i redeem my psn game codes on my pc instead on my ps3 psn store?? i clicked on manage account on the US playstation website ( ithink that's how) but it says the server is under maintenance

Wait til the maintenance is finished and try again? I've done it many times, it's pretty straight forward so you'll figure it out. Something like account management>redeem codes.

[quote name='philkessel81']Does anyone know if an old sports game qualifies for the BB Played it Trade it offer? For example, NHL 08, Madden 08, etc… Thanks![/QUOTE]

If it did they'd give you 25 cents.

It says one per customer, I guess you could leave and come back unless their system tracks what RZ members have redeemed it. I had considered using that deal to trade in Dark Sector.

bread's done
Back