Can't trade in PS3 at Gamestop because it's "modded"

GTmaster39

CAGiversary!
I called up gamestop to see if I could trade in my PS3 Slim in for the new Xbox360 Slim. And the guy asked me what the HDD was I told him that a 120gig HDD came with it, but I used my own 500GB HDD. He then refused to give me a price quote over the phone because he said my PS3 was Modded. I'm so livid right now I can't even see straight.

I don't see how something like this could be considered a mod when Sony, makes it an option. You try and swap out a Xbox hdd with your own I can see that being a Mod because Microsoft has their own proprietary HDD's. I just want to know if I can actually trade this thing in or if the little douche bag on the phone was actually right.....

I'm requesting help or clarification, if it's the wrong section then I'm sorry.

[quote name='fatboyjam']Can you just put the original 120GB hard drive back in it and call it "un modded"?[/QUOTE]

I told him that's what I was going to do, and restore it back to factory defaults and still refused. He said even if I did that they can still check and see that I "modded" it.

It's all good, I'll just take it to another Gamstop. I just couldn't believe what I was hearing out of this guys mouth.

[quote name='GTmaster39']I told him that's what I was going to do, and restore it back to factory defaults and still refused. He said even if I did that they can still check and see that I "modded" it.

It's all good, I'll just take it to another Gamstop. I just couldn't believe what I was hearing out of this guys mouth.[/QUOTE]

You should give the guys name and the number to the Gamestop. For no particular reason of course. :roll:

[quote name='Access_Denied']You should give the guys name and the number to the Gamestop. For no particular reason of course. :roll:[/QUOTE]

I can give the number to the store but I didn't get the guys name at all.

Bethany Home Gamestop (602) 336-9533
Phoenix, AZ.

The guy is an idiot. Just talk to another person and trade in the system, if they ask what model say 120gig & mention nothing else. They can't tell if you 'modded' the hardrive unless you stripped the one tiny screw, and even than they probably won't check it. end of story.

-i like ps3 slim better anyway :)

[quote name='GTmaster39']I called up gamestop to see if I could trade in my PS3 Slim in for the new Xbox360 Slim. And the guy asked me what the HDD was I told him that a 120gig HDD came with it, but I used my own 500GB HDD. He then refused to give me a price quote over the phone because he said my PS3 was Modded. I'm so livid right now I can't even see straight.

I don't see how something like this could be considered a mod when Sony, makes it an option. You try and swap out a Xbox hdd with your own I can see that being a Mod because Microsoft has their own proprietary HDD's. I just want to know if I can actually trade this thing in or if the little douche bag on the phone was actually right.....

I'm requesting help or clarification, if it's the wrong section then I'm sorry.[/QUOTE]
First off you should probably get some help if you let some idiot at gamestop get you so livid that you couldn't see straight.

Second, can you not just call a different gamestop to get a quote or ask in person? All you have to do is tell them the model of the PS3 that you initially purchased. As long as you put the original hard drive back in when you trade it in, you should have no problems whatsoever.

I like the PS3 Slim too, I just can't stand looking at it anymore because my ex-gf bought it for me. I just need a change.

I wonder if he is just dumb and thinks you have to open up the system to change out the harddrive. I'm pretty sure there would be no way to tell so he probably thinks you have to break the seal, which you don't obviously.

[quote name='Jbently']First off you should probably get some help if you let some idiot at gamestop get you so livid that you couldn't see straight.

Second, can you not just call a different gamestop to get a quote or ask in person? All you have to do is tell them the model of the PS3 that you initially purchased. As long as you put the original hard drive back in when you trade it in, you should have no problems whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

This is why I don't ask for help from this site that often anymore. I ask one question and people like this just talk shit. I'm not THAT angry, I was just expressing myself.

I agree with you about the flaming on CAG. The site has changed a lot since it became more popular. Just a bunch of stupid kids that hide behind the internet. People that flame are just douche bags.

[quote name='GTmaster39']This is why I don't ask for help from this site that often anymore. I ask one question and people like this just talk shit. I'm not THAT angry, I was just expressing myself.[/QUOTE]

Dude you didn't mod your PS3. The Gamestop dude is talking out his ass, rather surprising that a Gamestop employee gives out misinformation. :lol:

That's not modding as it was a design feature Sony included in the PS3. Modding is HACKING so as to run illegal software i.e. counterfeit games. Go to that store with PS3 in hand. If he insist you modded your PS3, get his name and call corporate. Again what you did is not modding a PS3.

[quote name='thebob101']I agree with you about the flaming on CAG. The site has changed a lot since it became more popular. Just a bunch of stupid kids that hide behind the internet. People that flame are just douche bags.[/QUOTE]

I with the others, just put it back to default and not mention it.

Understand the frustration, but also don't think what the other guy said was a flame, just a word of advice. ;-)

I'm sure there's a bigger issue involving the legalities of reselling a PS3 aftermarket parts that Gamestop doesn't carry. It's not technically "modded," but it's a very valid point.

Should have asked if he knew anything about the PS3 and then demanded to speak to the manager. If he said the manager wasn't there or that he was the manager you then needed to call bullshit and state you were coming down.

It's easy to be a douche to a customer over the phone.

[quote name='Rodster']That's not modding as it was a design feature Sony included in the PS3. Modding is HACKING so as to run illegal software i.e. counterfeit games.[/QUOTE]

Um.. no. Modding means to modify something. It doesn't necessarily involve making something for illegal measures.. it just means changing something that wasn't included in manufacturing.

On topic: They're full of it. Put the old hdd in it, reformat it, and you'll get it traded with no problems.

100% positive on this.

Replace the 120 gig and close it back up and give it to the same guy but dont mention the swap or the phone call you had with the degenerate.

GAMESTOP WILL TAKE ANYTHING, THEY WILL CHECK THE CONSOLE WHEN THE NEXT PERSON BUYS THE CONSOLE(the customer will take the ps3 home and "check" for them, and there is nothing wrong with what youre doing, so youre fine).

Ive given GS 3 modded 360's in the last month(1 of them was banned from live) and not once has either of the two stores questioned it.

Gamestop employees are far from qualified to take anything apart, and if they know about gaming in general its a plus.

Minimum wage jobs are minimum wage jobs.

I wouldn't get so worked up over what someone tells you over the phone. If you walk into the store and try to trade it in and they refuse, then you can get mad.

So with that said, just take it in.Shouldn't be that big of a deal, just keep the old hdd with you.

[quote name='GTmaster39']This is why I don't ask for help from this site that often anymore. I ask one question and people like this just talk shit. I'm not THAT angry, I was just expressing myself.[/QUOTE]

Well you're an idiot. It's like people can't figure shiet out themselves anymore. Any normal person would have just called another store or called corp.

[quote name='Rodster']That's not modding as it was a design feature Sony included in the PS3. Modding is HACKING so as to run illegal software i.e. counterfeit games. Go to that store with PS3 in hand. If he insist you modded your PS3, get his name and call corporate. Again what you did is not modding a PS3.[/QUOTE]

As a mere technicality, YES, this PS3 is modded. It originally came with a 120GB HDD, and he modified the system so that it would have 500GB. Illegal? Hell no. Mod? Yes. And not all modding is illegal. Painting it a different color is also a mod, trying to fix it is modding, scratching it is modding. Let the script kiddies say that modding is hacking. Modding just stands for 'Modifying.'

But anyway, if you gave it to GS with a 500GB hard drive in it, I don't think they would give a damn. As long as the system does what it does, they couldn't care what it does, where it was, or how it got there. As long as they can buy your PS3 for $70 and resell it for three times as much, they're happy.

[quote name='RandyTsai']Well you're an idiot. It's like people can't figure shiet out themselves anymore. Any normal person would have just called another store or called corp.[/QUOTE]

Dude, just shut your fucking mouth. Why did you even post if you're gonna act like that? Did I call you names, no. Grow up dude.

[quote name='xilly']Um.. no. Modding means to modify something. It doesn't necessarily involve making something for illegal measures.. it just means changing something that wasn't included in manufacturing.

On topic: They're full of it. Put the old hdd in it, reformat it, and you'll get it traded with no problems.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but the whole thing is utter bullshit and that's not directed at you because the Gamestop guy said he modded his system because he swapped out his hard drive? This is why I stopped doing business with Lamestop. We're all gamers, we know what the term modding means. Shit if we went that route then adding a WiFi to a 360 is modding it too. Why not refuse a 360 because you modded it by changing the Faceplate? :lol:

First off it was Sony's idea to allow the gamer to upgrade their drives. MS allows for the same thing. I say the Lamestop employee is clueless especially when the OP said he'd put the original drive back in. First off I don't do business with Lamestop but if I did and I was told by a Lamestop employee I modded my system because I swapped out the hardrive. I'd be on the phone with their corporate office raising cane.

To some it up the OP UPGRADED his PS3. If he flashed the drive or did something to allow him to play hacked games then yeah he modded. But that's not what happened, he improved his PS3 with a larger drive and he was willing to restore it back to his original state.

I recommend you sell it on ebay with the 500gb hd in it. You wouldn't believe the prices people will pay for an upgraded hdd. Plus you'll get more than you would at gamestop.

Also... don't feed the trolls and just add him to your ignore list. Who cares what some little kiddie hiding behind his monitor in his parents basement thinks anyways.

EDIT:

Here's a link for 500gb ps3's on ebay.... much more than LAMESTOP (I like that one) will give you.

That sucks man. Just do what you were going to, and take it to another. If you have time/patience, you'd make more money doing it on Ebay.

Don't listen to what butthead commentors say, they're miserable and looking for a reaction. Good luck with getting a new slim, I

What makes me upset, is the fact that I've been a member of this website for almost 8 years. People have no respect for one another. I would NEVER call anyone an idiot or anything for asking a question. Especially when it might concern the majority of other gamers who run into this same problem. I'm just trying to help people out while trying to get some straight answers. I'm half tempted to just delete my account and walk away from this website altogether. I actually refer friends to this website when looking for deals.....and do you think I want them coming here just to get mistreated by jerks all day? Pffft.

Thank you to all who actually gave some positive input.

You should bring it to the Game Stop you called, try to recognize the guy who you talked to on the phone and get him to do the trade in. Then laugh at his face after you trade it in. :D

. We're all gamers, we know what the term modding means. Shit if we went that route then adding a WiFi to a 360 is modding it too. Why not refuse a 360 because you modded it by changing the Faceplate? :lol:

Actually they did that to me once with the faceplate. But at least the guy was cool enough to let go still trade it in after i went back home and replaced it with the original

I don't see how my response was "talking shit". Guess what, vision problems are a possible sign of a stroke which is no laughing matter. And your health is way more important than video games.

http://www.heartandstroke.com/site/c.ikIQLcMWJtE/b.3483937/k.772A/Stroke__Warning_Signs.htm

[quote name='Jbently']I don't see how my response was "talking shit". Guess what, vision problems are a possible sign of a stroke which is no laughing matter. And your health is way more important than video games.

http://www.heartandstroke.com/site/c.ikIQLcMWJtE/b.3483937/k.772A/Stroke__Warning_Signs.htm[/QUOTE]

Ha.

[just kidding here] Also, he can't do maths. June 2010 - December 2003 is not almost 8 years.

OP -- I didn't see anyone until after you said it talking smack. Most seemed like they were trying to help. It's the interwebs. It'll be okay. :whistle2:/

633601395336737898-Internet.jpg

Are people serious in this thread? I fucking hate Gamestop too, but the guy did his job correctly.

For all he knows, the OP could've put all types of weird shit onto that new HD. I know the OP didn't, but some other guy could have. I understand Sony made it easy, but GS can't take the risk of selling it to some kid who finds shit he shouldn't be finding. That's another fault of Gamestop, in that they don't do enough checking of used hardware, but still.

Between people shitting on the employee and asking to speak to the dude's manager, and the OP not being smart enough to just swap it back out, this thread is full of retards.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can still put all kinds of weird shit on the HDD even without taking it out. I'm sure, or at least I hope GS formats the systems when they get them though you should obviously do that before trading them in. Eh, just because the guy works at gamestop doesn't mean he knows everything about every console, nor should he. He probably thought you had to open up the whole system thus voiding the warranty and it wasn't a two minute swap.

[quote name='StripesOrBars']
Ive given GS 3 modded 360's in the last month(1 of them was banned from live) and not once has either of the two stores questioned it.

Gamestop employees are far from qualified to take anything apart, and if they know about gaming in general its a plus.

Minimum wage jobs are minimum wage jobs.[/QUOTE]
And being a fucking thief and making your worthless banned consoles a loss for the company you hate still leaves you a thief. But please dont make me confuse you with facts, go on making fun of the minimum wage employees while your still a asshole thief.

[quote name='cdat1ad']And being a fucking thief and making your worthless banned consoles a loss for the company you hate still leaves you a thief. But please dont make me confuse you with facts, go on making fun of the minimum wage employees while your still a asshole thief.[/QUOTE]

crying-baby-giant-eyes.jpg

I think what that employee fails to understand is the fact that this particular thing is supported and encouraged by the manufacturer. However, Gamestop has the right to refuse it because, well, they don't directly answer to the manufacturer and I'm prety damn sure the used console business hurts the manufacturer more than anything.

But yeah, you can either march your ass down to the Gamestop (put the 120 GB HDD back in there before you do that!) and just hand it over without saying a word, or simply go to another Gamestop. You are a consumer; you have the freedom to pick whatever friggin' location you want. :)

This thread kills me.

I'd sell it on Ebay or even post it for sale on facebook. Try to sell it to a friend. Maybe one of these CAG's would take it off your hands. I personally avoid Gamestop as much as possible. I absolutely refuse to take a loss on something I know I can make more money on somewhere else.

I would just go to another store... i just dont see the issue, since most people there dont care lol

I bought a first gen ps3, and about a year later i decided 60 gigs wasnt enough (i got a lot of external HDD's) and i found the screw was striped dispite it being gamestop referbished, i even complained to them not asking for any sort of help just saying it was lazy on their part, and was basically sent back the terms of return...

so in the end they just dont care XD so just keep trying...

Enough fussing about it already. I'll trade you my "LIKE NEW" PSP Go w/ LittleBigPlanet, God of War Chains of Olympus, Twisted Metal 2, Crash Bandicoot, and Hysteria Project on it (among other things such as demos, trailers, themes, etc, etc) for your PS3 Slim with the default 120 GB HDD.

[quote name='Keirnoth']I think what that employee fails to understand is the fact that this particular thing is supported and encouraged by the manufacturer.[/QUOTE]

That was my point. :bouncy:

I don't think it matters to them as long as your system works and comes with the default accessories .

If you have another GS store as your option, just try there...and don't mention anything about swapping HDDs etc. Mum is the word.

Try it with a different employee. He sounds like one of the people who really should avoid working at video game stores, because, y'know, they don't know much about video games.

I believe the guy was just messing with you. It's not like he really thinks you need mental help. There's a difference between flaming and gentle hazing.

That being said, I'm with every other person on this thread. Just put the original hard drive back in and trade it in. No one, even the guy who told you on the phone you couldn't do it, will even think twice. Most of the Gamestop people live in the Gamestop bubble and are not educated in what they sell, only what they play. And this gentleman seems like he only plays a 360 (due to his swift accusation of a "modded" console).

[quote name='MrNEWZ']
Understand the frustration, but also don't think what the other guy said was a flame, just a word of advice. ;-)[/QUOTE]
Exactly.:applause: As for the OP, I would just keep the PS3. After all, that ex spent at least $300 on it. That was their money and not yours, so I would just enjoy the system.

Either that or sell it on Craigslist to get real cash for it as opposed to the $150 in CREDIT you'll only get at Gamestop.

bread's done
Back