Capcom having troubles with PS2 port of Resident Evil 4

AdamInPlaidum

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Article from gcadvanced.com

Figured since this pertained to a PS2 game, it'd go here, even though I found it on a Nintendo website.

Now, before anyone gets up in arms, I'm not trying to start anything, or say "I told you so", nothing like that. Just reporting something that has been much talked about lately. It certainly sounds from that article like there are some real issues going on in the porting process.

I bought a GC mainly for RE4 and have found the GC has superior exclusives and graphics on none exclusives to the PS2, if it weren''t for online, GTA and RPG's my PS2 would be gone.

The really interesting thing, to me, would be those comparitive polygon counts. They are currently running Leon with half the polygons on PS2 as he has on GC.

[quote name='smalien1']I bought a GC mainly for RE4 and have found the GC has superior exclusives and graphics on none exclusives to the PS2, if it weren''t for online, GTA and RPG's my PS2 would be gone.[/quote]

I'm the same here. If it weren't for RPGs I wouldn't even have a PS2. I've played the MGS3 demo and I didn't notice that much discrepancy in terms of graphics compared to RE4. So it might not be too bad.

[quote name='dcfox'][quote name='smalien1']I bought a GC mainly for RE4 and have found the GC has superior exclusives and graphics on none exclusives to the PS2, if it weren''t for online, GTA and RPG's my PS2 would be gone.[/quote]

I'm the same here. If it weren't for RPGs I wouldn't even have a PS2. I've played the MGS3 demo and I didn't notice that much discrepancy in terms of graphics compared to RE4. So it might not be too bad.[/quote]

See, that's what I thought, but that article says Solid Snake was 4,000 polygons, the same polygon count as ONE villager in RE4 on Cube.

[quote name='AdamInPlaidum'][quote name='dcfox'][quote name='smalien1']I bought a GC mainly for RE4 and have found the GC has superior exclusives and graphics on none exclusives to the PS2, if it weren''t for online, GTA and RPG's my PS2 would be gone.[/quote]

I'm the same here. If it weren't for RPGs I wouldn't even have a PS2. I've played the MGS3 demo and I didn't notice that much discrepancy in terms of graphics compared to RE4. So it might not be too bad.[/quote]

See, that's what I thought, but that article says Solid Snake was 4,000 polygons, the same polygon count as ONE villager in RE4 on Cube.[/quote]

It's all about detail.

Wow, capcom seems late to the party. They've made how many games on PS2 and these types of things never came to their mind when they mentioned the port? These have been known problems with the system and they should have enough experience with the system to know that. If they can't handle it, they shouldn't have bothered with a port.

I wonder if sales will outweigh the trouble/cost of porting it over to the PS2. I'd imagine by the time this comes out everybody who wanted to play would already have gotten it.

Poly count is not the be-all, end-all of graphics like it used to be. DOOM3's Hellknight is only 1300 polys. It's all about the normal mapping.

At least this is better than developing a version to run on the ps2 first, and porting this inferior version to the GC, like most other developers do.

[quote name='Rig']I wonder if the Cube version will drop in price when the PS2 version hits the shelves?[/quote]

That would be roughly 8 months from now, so I'd hope so!

[quote name='dcfox']I wonder if sales will outweigh the trouble/cost of porting it over to the PS2. I'd imagine by the time this comes out everybody who wanted to play would already have gotten it.[/quote]

If every GameCube owner on the planet bought RE4, that would be less than a quarter of the PS2 installed base. As it is, if the GC version reaches 3 million sold worldwide it will be in the all-time top five sellers for the system.

There will be plentyof PS2 owners for whom buying a GC isn't even under consideration to make a PS2 port of RE4 well worth Capcom's time.

Keep in mind that a major portion of the costs associated with the GameCube version are one-time occurances. The design, art, and audio and complete packages ready to be transferred to other platforms. Even if the art needs a fair bit of work this is still much less investment than starting from scratch. OTOH, if the PS2 version is billable within the same fiscal year, Capcom's accountant can bill much of the cost of the GC version's sharable assets to the PS2 as well (and possibly Xbox) to make each version have a better profit profile.

[quote name='smalien1']I bought a GC mainly for RE4 and have found the GC has superior exclusives and graphics on none exclusives to the PS2, if it weren''t for online, GTA and RPG's my PS2 would be gone.[/quote]

I completely agree. Don't forget Katamari Damacy. Just recently picked this up, what an odd little game....

I got a GC because RE and that is mostly what I have for it, and I feel that the GC purchase was worth the RE games. I got my PS2 for everything else, and my Xbox for.....ummm...well its actually just been sitting there collecting dust for a few months.

But I bet they get RE4 on the PS2 sooner or later, because they want more money. I feel this is good, so any non gamecube owners can experience RE4, because its such an awesome game.

In conclusion, Resident Evil 4 is the perfect hardware comparison between the PS2 and Gamecube.

What a boneheaded statement. The game was designed from the ground up with the GameCube's hardware architecture in mind without consideration of porting to other platforms, now Capcom is being crybabies because they painted themselves into a corner and want to do a direct port instead of redesigning the game to take advantage of the PS2 hardware architecture.

If the GC is such a superior platform, how come no one's bothered to port MGS3 and GTA to the GC yet?

[quote name='cheapass Gundam']
If the GC is such a superior platform, how come no one's bothered to port MGS3 and GTA to the GC yet?[/quote]

Well I don't think theres any doubt that the GC can handle MGS3 and GTA.

Is this coming as a shock to anyone? Remember the trouble Capcom had porting over Code Veronica?

Capcom will turn out a decent enough version of the game with a few things tossed in to encourage more sales.

Anyone have the numbers comparing DC's Code Veronica sales to PS2's?

[quote name='cheapass Gundam']
In conclusion, Resident Evil 4 is the perfect hardware comparison between the PS2 and Gamecube.

What a boneheaded statement. The game was designed from the ground up with the GameCube's hardware architecture in mind without consideration of porting to other platforms, now Capcom is being crybabies because they painted themselves into a corner and want to do a direct port instead of redesigning the game to take advantage of the PS2 hardware architecture.

If the GC is such a superior platform, how come no one's bothered to port MGS3 and GTA to the GC yet?[/quote]

You make it sound like the GC runs completely differently than the PS2. That's not it. The GC is a more powerful system. Period. This isn't a knock on the PS2 by any means - it did come out much earlier - but the fact of the matter is that the GC is much more capable than the PS2. MGS3 and GTA would be cake for the GC.

Even though I have all three consoles, and love the PS2....I'm kinda glad to hear this. In my heart, I'm a Nintendo fanboy i suppose. In a way, it gives the cube the recognition it deserves.

[quote name='terribledeli']Is this coming as a shock to anyone? Remember the trouble Capcom had porting over Code Veronica?

Capcom will turn out a decent enough version of the game with a few things tossed in to encourage more sales.

Anyone have the numbers comparing DC's Code Veronica sales to PS2's?[/quote]

I think the DC numbers were just a little over 350,000. For the PS2 it was 900,000 I believe. I remember seeing these numbers somewhere, but I've long forgotten the sources so take it with a grain of salt.

[quote name='dcfox'][quote name='cheapass Gundam']

Well I don't think theres any doubt that the GC can handle MGS3 and GTA.[/quote]

The GC couldn't have GTA because it is free roaming and couldn't be broken into two discs

Bottom line GC has superior graphics than the PS2. I say this because I was shocked too. I just recently bought a gamecube and it is superior graphicly!!!

[quote name='smalien1'][quote name='dcfox'][quote name='cheapass Gundam']

Well I don't think theres any doubt that the GC can handle MGS3 and GTA.[/quote]

The GC couldn't have GTA because it is free roaming and couldn't be broken into two discs[/quote]

That isn't the problem. A major portion of the 4 GB that all of the PS2 GTA titles use as a HD Loader file is audio in uncompressed format. It's more convenient to just stream it off the disc if you aren't hurting for space and it saves having to run a codec in the console's memory. The additional RAM and processing throughput of the GameCube more than compensates for this. Shaving at least a gigabyte off the GTAs, especially III and VC, would be a trivial matter. Also, depsite the free roaming nature of the game there are some linear elements that a player will only encounter once in the course of a game. Like a Final Fantasy game, once you switch disc there should never be any need to switch back to the earlier disc. Much of the material get replicated across all discs as needed, like the overworld in the PS1 FF titles.

The real problem is that Take Two's perception of the GameCube is incompatible with their target audience. Right or wrong, they don't believe the GC will deliver enough consumers for their needs, especially when so many adult GC owners are also PS2 or Xbox owners.

[quote name='dcfox'][quote name='terribledeli']Is this coming as a shock to anyone? Remember the trouble Capcom had porting over Code Veronica?

Anyone have the numbers comparing DC's Code Veronica sales to PS2's?[/quote]

I think the DC numbers were just a little over 350,000. For the PS2 it was 900,000 I believe. I remember seeing these numbers somewhere, but I've long forgotten the sources so take it with a grain of salt.[/quote]

These charts half agree. The first shows close to 900K on PS2 in US.
US Platinum chart, in the runners up section.

The second shows the Dreamcast version reaching around 450K in US.
Year 2000 US bestsellers

In Japan the DC moved about 400K and the PS2 about 380K.

http://the-magicbox.com/charts.htm

Considering Capcom already had the finished design and sharable assets the PS2 port of Code Veronica was very good business. Keep in mind that the PS3 is likely to be backward compatible and so the PS2 Code Veronica will continue to enjoy a trickle of sales for years to come from that port.

The real problem is that Take Two's perception of the GameCube is incompatible with their target audience. Right or wrong, they don't believe the GC will deliver enough consumers for their needs, especially when so many adult GC owners are also PS2 or Xbox owners.

And here ladies and gentlemen we have the real problem. The perception of the gamecube. God damn does this piss me off. It's a very capable machine, at a very attractive price point, with a ton of great games, and it still gets labeled as a kids machine. F the public and the industry folk with that perception. That's why I want RE4 to stay on the cube, because it's everything that those people think it shouldn't be.

This has turned into a :argue: board.

Both systems have their ups and downs. PS2 appeals to the "American Casual" gamer more than the Gamecube, that's all. But the Gamecube has really good exclusive titles, and is great for multiplayer.

I'm more than a little dubious after reading the article. It appears to have been written by someone who doesn't understand the subject matter.

I have not idea what they're trying to say in this paragraph: "One of the most problematic issues in porting the title has come down to memory size. The GameCube features primarily 24 bits of memory, whereas PlayStation 2 only produces 4 to 8 bits of memory. "

There is ppor translating involved but I cannot make head or tail of this in relation tot he actual hardware in question.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']This has turned into a :argue: board.

Both systems have their ups and downs. PS2 appeals to the "American Casual" gamer more than the Gamecube, that's all. But the Gamecube has really good exclusive titles, and is great for multiplayer.[/quote]

Good point....thanks for bring us back on topic. :oops: You really said all that could be said about the whole argument. Each system has their own "thing." That's why you should buy 'em all!

[quote name='Lucky13'][quote name='Rodimus Donut']This has turned into a :argue: board.

Both systems have their ups and downs. PS2 appeals to the "American Casual" gamer more than the Gamecube, that's all. But the Gamecube has really good exclusive titles, and is great for multiplayer.[/quote]

Good point....thanks for bring us back on topic. :oops: You really said all that could be said about the whole argument. Each system has their own "thing." That's why you should buy 'em all![/quote]

Thanks and you're welcome.

Now if Capcom could start concentrating on 2D fighters again I'd be happy.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut'][quote name='Lucky13'][quote name='Rodimus Donut']This has turned into a :argue: board.

Good point....thanks for bring us back on topic. :oops: You really said all that could be said about the whole argument. Each system has their own "thing." That's why you should buy 'em all![/quote]

Thanks and you're welcome.

Now if Capcom could start concentrating on 2D fighters again I'd be happy.[/quote]

After the poor reviews Fighter Jam got, I don't think Capcom is too eager to try again.

[quote name='dcfox'][quote name='smalien1']I bought a GC mainly for RE4 and have found the GC has superior exclusives and graphics on none exclusives to the PS2, if it weren''t for online, GTA and RPG's my PS2 would be gone.[/quote]

Agreed even more, if it werent for rpgs, ddr, online and the more adult games (gta, manhunt, punisher) I wouldnt even have my ps2.

[quote name='epobirs']I'm more than a little dubious after reading the article. It appears to have been written by someone who doesn't understand the subject matter.

I have not idea what they're trying to say in this paragraph: "One of the most problematic issues in porting the title has come down to memory size. The GameCube features primarily 24 bits of memory, whereas PlayStation 2 only produces 4 to 8 bits of memory. "

There is ppor translating involved but I cannot make head or tail of this in relation tot he actual hardware in question.[/quote]

I thought the same exact thing. The quote in question doesn't really make much sense and sounds like it could have been made up by some kids that have no idea what they're talking about. I refrained from pointing that out, since I'm not really confident in my hardware knowledge. However, I know that the PS2 is capable of 32bit color depth, as the specifications suggest. 32bit color depth along with 32bit Z-buffer.

Also, the PS2 isn't as similar to the NGC as somebody suggested earlier. The Cube has a CPU+GPU configuration. It's more akin to the Xbox, or a Power PC, than PS2, since the PS2 doesn't have a GPU that handles the T&L processes and other graphical processes.

So, yeah, definitely take this information with a grain of salt.

the 24 to 8 bits of memory applies to textures. GC RE4 textures can contain 24 bit color data. For example, when you're near a texture in a PS2 game, it's more likely that the texture will look blotchy and smudged, because the anti-aliasing has to smudge the texture, so that it can hide how blocky the image has become when enlarged.

On Gamecube, when you're near that same wall, since it can store higher quality texture data, there is less smudging going on to hide blockyness. This also makes it much much easier to do things like bump mapping and normal mapping, and why the GC game textures can be higher quality and clearer than PS2 games. That's not always the case, because a lot of developers are lazy and consider the gc a system for shovelware..

Hope that clears things up a bit. Those articles just wrote it without knowing what it meant, but it is an important difference.

[quote name='Lucky13'][quote name='Rodimus Donut']This has turned into a :argue: board.

Can we say which platform Bush supports, and which the dems support. Then we can drag this back to the VS thread :wink: :wink:

J :lol: KE

Hey everyone seems to be forgetting how Capcom makes Devil May Cry, Onimusha, and Maximo for the PS2 only. I'll take any of these three series over the RE series. Only part RE4 seems cool, I really like how it goes to over the shoulder view when you start aiming.

Hmm, I thought the MGS3 graphics were pretty good actually. But it might have been because they added soft light to everything, which a lot of new games r doing cuz it looks cool and blurs out details. lol slackers.

Well, having trouble porting things over is one thing. I just want to see what the finished product is. I think the PS2 has to have surprised everyone. Had MGS3 or GTA SA came out on GC and not PS2, everyone would say the PS2 couldn't handle them. Let's see if the PS2 can handle this after all of it's tricks have been used.

Also, not to be off topic, but I seriously wonder how many Cube owners do not own another system? I seems to me that most people who own a Cube own another system. If that's the case, that's why certain games don't get ported to the Cube that are on other systems, not the market perceptions that piss Cube owners off to no end.

[quote name='rockhero']Poly count is not the be-all, end-all of graphics like it used to be. DOOM3's Hellknight is only 1300 polys. It's all about the normal mapping.[/quote]

RE4 doesn't use any sort of normal mapping. And I highly doubt Capcom is going to implement just for a port. It would require a complete and utter overhaul of the whole engine.

[quote name='smartasien']Hmm, I thought the MGS3 graphics were pretty good actually. But it might have been because they added soft light to everything, which a lot of new games r doing cuz it looks cool and blurs out details. lol slackers.[/quote]

The graphics are quite good. In my opinion because of:
a) The soft light
b) Lots of additional motion blur
c) Good textures
d) Good lighting

I know it is a technically impressive game, but I believe that the same tools in lesser hands would produce a much worse looking game. It looks good because of good art direction, not because it is just so beat you over the head gorgeous.

bread's done
Back