Capcom To Charge SF x Tekken Owners For What's ALREADY On Disc!!!!!!!

ChunLiBarbie

CAGiversary!
OMG! WTF?! No Blanka!!!!!!! :bomb: Blanka is 1 of the MAIN characters in Street Fighter...unless you go back to the 'original' SF called Fighting Street!!!!!

There are going to be a lot of pissed people who don't know about this! Yeah, Capcom has released the same game a 1,000 times, but this is an all new low... even for them!:evil:

Capcom today admitted that the 12 Street Fighter X Tekken characters announced as Playstation Vita exclusives are actually included on the discs of the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC versions of the game to be sold as downloadable content.

Capcom doesn't think on-disc DLC is worth fighting over.

In a statement on the Capcom Unity blog, the publisher responded to outcry over the decision, saying the move was made to save hard drive space and to "ensure for a smooth transition" when the DLC becomes available.

According to Capcom, keeping the DLC on disc will allow players who purchased the content and those who did not to play together without issue. Addressing the hard drive space issue, Capcom said, "Instead of a massive download, there will be a much smaller unlock that brings the new content to the surface."

Capcom reiterated what it said February, noting that a "Super" or "Ultimate" double-dip version of the game will not be made available, with all additional content arriving as DLC.

The 12 characters that make up the on-disc DLC for Street Fighter X Tekken are Blanka, Cody, Dudley, Elena, Guy, and Sakura, while the Tekken side will welcome Alisa Bosconovitch, Bryan Fury, Christie Monteiro, Jack, Lars Alexandersson, and Lei Wulong.

As for when the 12 characters will be made available to console gamers, Capcom said they will arrive "soon after" the PS Vita version launch, currently scheduled for this fall.

I think people are just upset you posted this in the "deals" thread when this isn't a deal.
Nonetheless, Capcom's behavior here does blow, and not in the good way.

[quote name='Vader582']I think people are just upset you posted this in the "deals" thread when this isn't a deal.
Nonetheless, Capcom's behavior here does blow, and not in the good way.[/QUOTE] Capcom is making it clear that either they re-release their popular titles at least 2X 1 for $60 the next for $40 or they hold back stuff & charge there w/o the threat of a GOTY/Complete edition. I personally would rather the re-release since the content is on the disc & I can play the waiting game to get both title for $60 or less but that's just me. Considering the quality of their titles & the fact that they sell I would guess they'll resort back to re-releases. The games to watch now are RE ORC & RE 6 both will probably have a "gold" edition.

do not create threads to ask a question. Do not post your own affiliate links. Only post specific video game deals!

[quote name='sampyle']Hopefully Amazon matches. I've already emailed them.[/QUOTE]

Watch out, OP might block you for that post

[quote name='Wario64']Watch out, OP might block you for that post[/QUOTE]

I'm willing to take that risk.

Yeah, this is totally in the wrong forum, but I think OP figures most people check the deals thread first (if maybe the only one they look at), and just wanted to get this info out.

From the OP, tl;dr version:

The 12 DLC characters for SFxTekken that will be 'released later' are already on the discs in full. When people purchase the DLC when it is officially released, it will only be for an unlock code.

I found out about this last week, and was disappointed enough that I decided I just won't buy the game period. Shame too, because up until that point I was really excited about it since I'm a fighting game junkie.

[quote name='Kaijuboy']DLC for Capcom means:

'D'isc 'L'ocked 'C'ontent[/QUOTE]

QFT, good sir.

Ha, it was quickly moved.

Well since it's on the correct main thread, I'll say this: NO SURPRISE. It's Capcom, what do you expect from this company that like to re-release games as "Gold" or "Super" or "Turbo" editions?

This is hardly the first time that people have had to pay for DLC that's already on the disk.

Where the hell have you been?

Usually capcom's excuse is that its only partially complete on disc but this time its fully complete on disc ? That's greedy even for them. I'll only buy it second hand now.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Does it being on the disc really make it any worse than day 1 (or near release) DLC you have to download?[/QUOTE]

Yes because this dlc was not created after the beginning of the game being pressed and released to retail with an external budget. This dlc has clearly been planned into the normal budget, finished before disc manufacturing and required no additional budget for capcom. The Damm characters are there already balanced just sitting there !

[quote name='blindinglights']This is hardly the first time that people have had to pay for DLC that's already on the disk.

Where the hell have you been?[/QUOTE]

So just because it's been done before means we should brush it off?

Its still complete bullshit.

But I can see why they did it as a gamer and as a business decision.

Gamer: Because they're greedy.

Business Decision: Fighting game fans are the easiest to milk for money. Proof is numerous versions of MvC and Street Fighter. Seriously fighting game fans? WTF. Not only that but the whole sexist thing at the SFxT tournament? Seriously. It's also pretty smart because they already did all the work making/putting in the characters, now they just have to release the characters every once in a awhile to keep the game "fresh" and off used game shelves without having to actually put in any more work.

Hopefully the Tekken version of SFxT isn't so terribly DLC ridden. I don't think it will be since Tekken releases are always 1 release as the final version.(console, not arcade)

TK1
TK2
Tk3
TK4
TK5
TK6

Not including the spinoff handheld games.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='NuclearPorkchop']
I found out about this last week, and was disappointed enough that I decided I just won't buy the game period. Shame too, because up until that point I was really excited about it since I'm a fighting game junkie.
[/QUOTE]

You clearly weren't very excited on picking this game up if discovering a common business practice was the deal breaker.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']

Business Decision: Fighting game fans are the easiest to milk for money. Proof is numerous versions of MvC and Street Fighter. Seriously fighting game fans? WTF. Not only that but the whole sexist thing at the SFxT tournament? Seriously. It's also pretty smart because they already did all the work making/putting in the characters, now they just have to release the characters every once in a awhile to keep the game "fresh" and off used game shelves without having to actually put in any more work.[/QUOTE]

And you're completely out of touch with reality if you don't think nearly all developers put completed content aside to recuperate development costs in the future.

A stupid move to get discovered? Yeah, I'll rip on Capcom all day for that. But is it surprising or offending? Not in the least. Just a case of pretty bad manners, is all. If you're going to hold on to extra content, don't let us find it beforehand.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']

Business Decision: Fighting game fans are the easiest to milk for money. Proof is numerous versions of MvC and Street Fighter. Seriously fighting game fans? WTF. Not only that but the whole sexist thing at the SFxT tournament? Seriously. It's also pretty smart because they already did all the work making/putting in the characters, now they just have to release the characters every once in a awhile to keep the game "fresh" and off used game shelves without having to actually put in any more work.[/QUOTE]

You're completely out of touch with reality if you don't think nearly all developers put completed content aside to recuperate development costs in the future.

If you want it and it's worth the money to you, then buy. If not, don't buy. Anything else is just nerdrage.

Like panzer said, if it really offends you this much that companies prepare content in advance to be sold separately later, you may as well quit gaming at this point.

[quote name='panzerfaust']And you're completely out of touch with reality if you don't think nearly all developers put completed content aside to recuperate development costs in the future.

A stupid move to get discovered? Yeah, I'll rip on Capcom all day for that. But is it surprising or offending? Not in the least. Just a case of pretty bad manners, is all. If you're going to hold on to extra content, don't let us find it beforehand.[/QUOTE]

Do I think some companies do it? Yes. Do I think "nearly all developers" do it? No.

http://i.imgur.com/m77S3.png

The first example in that picture is how game development works, I assume since I haven't been involved in any and it makes the most sense since I doubt the concept artist just sit on their asses 'till everything else is done.

So I believe developers DON'T just take shit out of the game and say "This chunk will be DLC for later". Only proof I have is that DLC is usually a large file size. I'm sure they reuse some assests but don't just chop a block out of the game.

Also I don't agree with the bottom comment on that image. It was finished before the game was released so I don't think it should be extra.

What is this obligation developers have to consumers where they can't make sound business decisions for themselves? The only reason the DLC model works is because developers still deliver on their advertised promises. This is a fighting game, you're paying for these features, you're getting these 38 characters, period. Everyone is okay with paying $60, it's worth it to them. Everyone who is cancelling their pre-orders admitted this, which why it's hilarious.

Oh but look here, someone stumbled upon Capcom's plan to expand the game in the Fall -- so give all that content to us now, and not only in March instead of November, but free of cost! It belongs to the gamers!

I can't prove to you how many other developers plan their DLC ahead and have it completed ahead of time, but it's naive to think it doesn't happen, and it sounds horribly petty to judge a developer on how they want to pay their own salaries with their own labor. What Capcom feels they deserve for the products they make in their offices is their business. If they think SFxT is worth $60 as a stand alone product with 38 characters, then it would be a huge waste of resources to just throw in the other 12 just because they're finished. It defies common sense. Release it later to bring in more revenue, release it later to keep players excited about the game. We're perfectly happy with what we got.

No one thought SFxT was missing anything until someone snooped around the game's code. No one.

[quote name='panzerfaust']

No one thought SFxT was missing anything until someone snooped around the game's code. No one.[/QUOTE]

No one thought SFxT was missing anything until capcom mentioned the vita version would have 12 additional characters.

xD

DLC is far more simple than we make it out to be.

DLC (including Day 1 DLC) is created separately from the game, if they didn't do that the game would never come out. They have to decide what is going to be the game, finish that and then let other work on DLC

DLC that is on the disc is finished content being withheld out of greed and is just about as big a dick move as there is in gaming.

Implying other DLC isn't made out of greed, and that Capcom didn't plan their budget around the fact that DLC would be in the model.

It's rude to flaunt extra content that's already finished, I'll agree all day about that, but that was people hacking some rather embarrassingly naked code that spoiled the surprise for everyone else. Capcom's fault, but if they had kept the content on their desk and off the discs, people wouldn't even be phased by this.

Makes no difference to me, it's Fall DLC and it's not part of the game I purchased.

[quote name='blindinglights']This is hardly the first time that people have had to pay for DLC that's already on the disk.

Where the hell have you been?[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. I would actually be DISAPPOINTED if Capcom didn't pull something like this. They've been so consistent up to this point about it. This is why I won't buy Capcom fighting games anymore Day 1.

[quote name='ZForce915']DLC is far more simple than we make it out to be.

DLC (including Day 1 DLC) is created separately from the game, if they didn't do that the game would never come out. They have to decide what is going to be the game, finish that and then let other work on DLC

DLC that is on the disc is finished content being withheld out of greed and is just about as big a dick move as there is in gaming.[/QUOTE]

Hell, it's simpler than that. First, we have no guarantee that day 1 DLC is created separately from the main game and isn't just content they decided to cut off the main game and make DLC.

If you think the content of DLC is worth the price they're asking, pay for it. If you don't don't. Same thing for the base game - if you don't think the content they give you isn't worth it, don't buy it.

Delivery method doesn't matter. For a lot of Day 1 dlc, a lot of assets could've been put on the disc...and this extends to post-day 1 DLC a well. Downloading a larger patch doesn't make me feel better because I know it wasn't on the disc...it just makes me wait longer.

There is a problem of making it a patch though, because then you have the argument of I had to download it, it is on my hard drive, why can't I use it? But, what can you do, make it so players can't select characters their opponents don't own? Or make them fight against generic models on the person that doesn't buy the content's system?

What it really comes down to is this, the only way to make people really happy is unfortunately to just not have DLC characters at all. In all honesty, 38 characters is pretty generous, and had the other 12 not existed, no one would have complained about the roster on the game. As a developer, you set the budget for a certain amount of content so that you can sell enough games at the normal MSRP and turn a profit you think is worth it to make the game. Then you can dump some money into more resources to make some for DLC for add on sales. If it is ready, why not put it on the disk, it really doesn't hurt anyone, the disk isn't heavier or anything, and the space would be empty otherwise. Had they given you like 8 characters, it would be more questionable, but you have 38 available at purchase, that's pretty hefty for a fighting game, isn't it?

If you don't like it, don't encourage them to do that by not buying the extras - if they don't sell well the message will be heard loud and clear. But, the end result is going to be that you get 38 characters in their next game, not 50 (and maybe even less, since they are probably counting on selling some of those to most players to offset the game development costs).

I don't like paying more than MSRP to get the "complete" game, but right now the marketing is that making $59.99 off a game isn't enough profit to make it worth their while. Bobby Kotick even said it, publishers would like to charge more and would if they could. So they offer the basic game for $59.99. If that's all we buy then it tells them that $59.99 is all the market is willing to bear for a single game. Right now the market is telling them they are willing to buy the game plus another $20ish in add ons for some titles. We are in control of setting the market value of a game, don't buy it and they won't make it. But I really doubt they will start putting that content back in the game, they will just simply not make it in the first place.

It's not a lot of fun to realize, but would you rather have an option to buy a favorite character or two or simply not have Blanka at all as an option? And why are we entitled to everything they develop related to the game simply because of where they choose to store it?

I came in here expecting someone to be raging about how Capcom destroyed Mega-Man, and why is my Mega-Man Legends 3 canceled. What's going on, I'm feeling let down, we can't have a Capcom rage-fest without that.

On a related and slightly more serious note it always makes me laugh when you get people who clearly don't play fighting games at all bitching about the DLC or disc releases for them, it's like, you weren't ever going to buy the game anyways (canceling their "pre-orders" that never existed), I mean, why are you complaining at all, this doesn't affect you. (I had someone in person whine to me about how Capcom hated Mega-Man and he didn't have any representation in MvC3, and I told him that Zero and Tron Bonne were both playable characters in the game, and we was just like... oh.)

In general I don't really have a major issue with the fact that the DLC is on the disc, it wouldn't make me feel any different about it if it wasn't on the disc, and ensures that everyone will be able to see the costumes that you buy (unlike SSF4 on PS3) and be able to have matches with the new characters. Really, the thing that actually makes me a little annoyed about the DLC is that they are waiting till fall to release it, I'd love to play Sakura and Elena now, and I don't mind paying for them if that's how Capcom wants to do things, I'm just glad they're going to be in the game (especially Elena).

[quote name='GUNNM']fuck that guy[/QUOTE]

You're right, I can' believe that guy with mega man as his avatar and as his XBL handle is talking about mega man being so last year, where is his dedication?

(Finally this thread feels complete).

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']So just because it's been done before means we should brush it off?.[/QUOTE]

No, but it does mean we don't need an "OMG WORLD IS ENDING, DLC FOR _____ IS.... GET THIS.... ALREADY ON THE DISK!" thread in the deals forum, which is where the OP originally posted this.

[quote name='panzerfaust']What is this obligation developers have to consumers where they can't make sound business decisions for themselves? The only reason the DLC model works is because developers still deliver on their advertised promises. This is a fighting game, you're paying for these features, you're getting these 38 characters, period. Everyone is okay with paying $60, it's worth it to them. Everyone who is cancelling their pre-orders admitted this, which why it's hilarious.

Oh but look here, someone stumbled upon Capcom's plan to expand the game in the Fall -- so give all that content to us now, and not only in March instead of November, but free of cost! It belongs to the gamers!

I can't prove to you how many other developers plan their DLC ahead and have it completed ahead of time, but it's naive to think it doesn't happen, and it sounds horribly petty to judge a developer on how they want to pay their own salaries with their own labor. What Capcom feels they deserve for the products they make in their offices is their business. If they think SFxT is worth $60 as a stand alone product with 38 characters, then it would be a huge waste of resources to just throw in the other 12 just because they're finished. It defies common sense. Release it later to bring in more revenue, release it later to keep players excited about the game. We're perfectly happy with what we got.

No one thought SFxT was missing anything until someone snooped around the game's code. No one.

Other post he made: Fall DLC and it's not part of the game I purchased. [/QUOTE]

Yes, they payed $60 for the content on the disc. Capcom has literally locked them out of content on the disc, the disc they've paid for, so they can charge them for it later.

And then we get to the slippery slop of license to the disc not actually owning it...which is bullshit. I wouldn't be surprised if the download size of the characters from the XBL/PSN store was 100K.

It is part of the disc/game you purchased. You're just locked out of it.

And the reason it's a big deal to us outside of the fighting game circle is because it sets a precedent for their other Capcom games or for other developers to do this shit of locking content already on the disc for resale.

bread's done
Back