Captain America: CIVIL WAR (May 5, 2016) - Reviews Are In

Kevin Smith also thinks some fan film involving Batman vs Predator is the greatest depiction of Batman. I suppose that's changed now that he has a friend that plays Batman.
If you're referring to that trailer that was made over 10 years ago and that would have been before the Nolan films. He was raving about the Nolan version since then.

If you're referring to that trailer that was made over 10 years ago and that would have been before the Nolan films. He was raving about the Nolan version since then.
Regardless, it wasn't that great even before Nolan's trilogy. Sure, it's better than say Batman & Robin but that ain't sayin a whole hell of a lot.

Saw it in the Thursday night preview in Regal RPX non 3d.

Thoughts

It was a good movie, but not a perfect 10 out 10 that people might think.   Is it better than BvS?  They are two different movies.  CW had a good set up but I did not like the ending of CW.   The music was good...not as good as the Winter

Soldier.  The Airport battle scenes and the end credit scenes had the best music IMHO

-No one dies! :O    There is the funeral of Peggy Carter (which if rumors are true then there will be no AC season 3, which I don't care for anyways).

-The chase scene with black panther , Captain America and WS was pretty cool.  

-Too bad for Crossbones/Rumlow

-The Vision seemed ...wasted.... his interactions with Maximoff just seemed off...yes I know there is a relationship between the two of them in the comics..but it doesn't work well here on screen.

-The Peter Parker introduction felt forced to be honest with you.   Out of all the people out there why would Stark pick Spiderman to join his side?   So he gives him the real spider suit and calls him Spiderman.  Stark just manipulated him to his cause.

-I honestly was hoping for two things:

1. There was NO mention or hints that Spiderman was going to be in this movie (not in the tv ads or trailers) as I think it would have been a huge surprise for the audience for him to show up during the Airport battle.

2. Young Peter Parker watches as Stark reveals himself as the Iron Man (at the end of iron man 1) on tv that inspires him to be a hero.

-Sooooo Pepper Potts Cameo gets canned in favor of the lines where it seems they broke up (taking a break).. I really wondered what happened behind the scenes for Paltrow not to show up even as a small cameo.

-Stark has proven that he can pretty much deploy his armor anywhere at anytime.   The fully retractable helmet kinda seems off to me. 

-I can see why Stark takes the Pro Accords side in this but not to mention the fact that he could loose his entire company if he goes against the accords if you think about it where the rest of the players have nothing really to lose.

-The airport fight scene was great with lots of comic book style shots.

-Giant-man.....Holy Shit!  (I Need to go see this in real IMAX, not fake IMAX)  The crowd went nuts when they saw this.

-The Empire Strikes back reference....good one kid! ;-)

-Honestly there wasn't enough Hydra involvement and more of a Zemo's Revenge plot....did it work..yes leaving the Avengers fractured.

-Kinda sucks that Lang and Barton were captured as both of them have families.. with Rogers breaking them out of the prison, the government could easily threaten their families.  I really wonder how this will affect the Antman and the Wasp (antman 2) movie story?

-Black Widow runs away..bah (oh well a BW movie will be made)

-Rodes is now crippled but I am sure Stark will fix him up with those new legs prosthesis... Honestly it would have been a bigger impact if Rodes died during the fight.  It would have had an bigger impact on Stark.

-The reason why I did not like the ending is because Rogers breaks everyone out and goes into hiding in Wakanda and tells Tony he will be there when he needs him instead of going ahead and signing the Accords.  Seems like a cowards way of escaping punishment.  

-So with Rogers out of the way....who is left on the Avengers that signed the Accords?    Rodes (assuming that he can operate the War Machine armor again), Vision, Spiderman (if Aunt May will let him lol)...  Not that great considering what will Thor and Banner think once they find out.   I am pretty sure Thor hates Stark for messing with things he does not understand (and creating Ultron in the process) and Banner will want to stay away from all the conflict to keep the Green Guy in check.

-Spiderman will return (at the end of CW)....ummmmmmm why not state Captain America WILL RETURN.   We know all the Avengers will be in Infinity war.

-No mention of Fury....... Why was he not in the movie or mentioned at all?   Where does he stand in all of this?

In the end I felt this was more of a welcome back to the MCU for Spiderman after Sony's failure.   Speaking of Failures, with that in mind, will Marvel want to bring back the Fantastic Four as well?   I am sure they are going to leave the X-Men alone since it has done so well.  Spiderman wasn't the deciding factor in resolving the conflict.   Things looked like it was going to resolve on their own until Zimo pissed off Stark into thinking Rogers was hiding the truth from him all this time.  

oh well, gonna see this in 3d next

Last edited by a moderator:
But which had the better ending?
I say this as a lifelong Batman fanboy, absolutely nothing about Batman v Superman was better than Captain America Civil War. Not the ending, the acting, the plot, not one thing was done better by BvS.

Fantastic movie, loved everything about it.  Ant-Man and Spider-Man were my favorite parts.  I like how they were in awe the entire airport fight and their one liners were great.  The Russo Brothers know how to make a movie, I can't wait to see Infinity War.  They have a great handle on how to juggle a plethora of heroes.

It's nice to see a good super hero movie this year...

But which had the better ending?
Dude if you really liked the movie, which you obviously do, that's cool. But you don't need to go to every thread to justify it and comparing to every movie because the majority of the people who have seen it, still think it's a terrible movie.

Obviously wasting The Death of Superman in the second Superman movie and spending 15 minutes on his death (which totally had me fooled, I really thought he was ded!!1!) is the best ending ever in the universe of movys.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/05/07/was-zemo-a-good-villain-for-captain-america-civil-war-ign-keepin-it-reel

hmm

Saw it for the second time today in 3d... I dunno either I am immune to 3d effects OR these 3d post production companies Marvel uses for their movies SUCK. 

Honestly.... after seeing the movie again, I think the bad guy was more Captain America more than Zemo....yes he gave the "push" but all Rogers had to do is sign the accords, and turn over Barnes.   I still don't see how they were able to recruit Lang so easily. 

Who was that bald chick who pretty much told Romenoff to move out of the way near the car?  She looks familiar...

Stark could have easily disabled the Quinjet since it was his invention.

Now see the accords to have given SHIELD to return to govern the Avengers because I think that's what happened in the comics.

Spiderman didn't add anything to the movie... it was just Marvel's expensive way of saying "We got Spiderman Back Bitches!!!"

I would have liked to have seen more Hydra involvement in this, after all the last two was Hydra ...here it was more of Zemo finds Hydra files on the WS.

I really wonder how they will put the team back together against Thanos ?

As I posted on my facebook page, these are my 3 thoughts about this movie.
1.  This movie is proof that Marvel should've taken over the Spiderman franchise years ago, and that Tom Holland is a great Spiderman.  I still liked Tobey more, and I think Logan Lerman would've done better, but he was still a great Spiderman.
2.  I would watch the crap out of a buddy/buddy cop movie called "Sam & Bucky: Hilarious Quotations in Dangerous Situations.  Those two have great on-screen chemistry.  (could just be because I really like this Falcon, because he's a billion times better than any other on-screen version of Falcon, ever.

3.  It was cool seeing Wanda doing the kind of stuff you'd expect to see a Wizard/mage doing in a combat situation.

Slow start but finished strong. I felt like the dark mood of the film killed a lot of the momentum these 'fun-flicks' tend to have because once the fighting started it felt like you could finally breathe and laugh. I enjoyed it but as far as marvel films go, this one was a little depressing and wouldn't really be one for repeat viewings other than the main fight sequence.

Slow start but finished strong. I felt like the dark mood of the film killed a lot of the momentum these 'fun-flicks' tend to have because once the fighting started it felt like you could finally breathe and laugh. I enjoyed it but as far as marvel films go, this one was a little depressing and wouldn't really be one for repeat viewings other than the main fight sequence.
Yes it was darker than the other movies but it was the reality of the situation that made it feel more real. Everyone said the ending was the weakest and I do agree it was a little depressing but I was like argh...that's it?!?!?!

Yes the fight scene was great...not incredible except for the Holy Shit scene (hint it wasn't spiderman's arrival lol)

Felt a bit long, but otherwise one of the best.
Yeah it dragged for a bit, but not too much. I honestly liked Winter Soldier better. If this was suppose to be the last Captain America movie, it did not bring closure to the character.

I say this as a lifelong Batman fanboy, absolutely nothing about Batman v Superman was better than Captain America Civil War. Not the ending, the acting, the plot, not one thing was done better by BvS.
I do LOVE a challenge!

One thing that BvS did better was sucking. Ha!

Yeah it dragged for a bit, but not too much. I honestly liked Winter Soldier better. If this was suppose to be the last Captain America movie, it did not bring closure to the character.
That's because he'll be killed by Thanos, which will be undone by Adam Warlock.

I agree. Slow start. But the whole time all I was waiting for Spider-Man to show up.

Trailers really do ruin movies in some cases. Because I felt like I was waiting for all the trailer moments at time.

Saw the film today. Loved it.

The heroes being broken and separated kind of annoys me since we never got a film or at least a special with all the New Avengers, but it worked well enough. I do hope somebody from Cap's side appears in Black Panther, though. Maybe not Steve, since I'm not sure Chris Evans is up to being in another film pre-Infinity War, but maybe Sam or Clint. Speaking of which, it is kinda crappy that Clint and Scott are separated from their families for what is likely years. Then again, Ant-Man and Wasp is coming up, so I'm curious if that film will be Hope and Hank stealing back the Ant-Man suit from the government (remember, the UN still has all their gear, including the Pym Particles Hank desperately wants to keep out of government hands) and extraditing Scott. God, that ending is just rife with crossover potential and I love it.

Maybe it's because I'm indifferent to the character as a whole, but I don't get all the fawning over Spider-man. Yea, he was a fun addition, but all the reviews saying he was the best part of the movie and all that just had me confused. Giant Man was cooler anyway.

My one main annoyance is the giant locaiton title cards. They were extremely goofy and really take you out of the film. Cinema Sins is gonna have a field day with those.

BTW, the opening weekend global gross has been released at $678 million. The film has already surpassed 3/4 of BvS's total after one weekend and it has the entirety of May by itself, mostly.

Try reading. I said weekend, not Friday to Friday :whistle2:(

It may not in the end, but it's not looking good so far. Either way, that's a huge second week drop.
From your article, "So that means a second Friday gross of $19.44 million." Try some reading comprehension.

Also from your article, " The film easily crossed $800 million worldwide yesterday ($807m without any new overseas numbers) and should (for what it's worth) pass Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice ($868m) today or tomorrow."

i-can-do-this-all-day-captain-america-2.gif

From the article, "So that means a second Friday gross of $19.44 million." Try some reading comprehension.
BvS had an overall weekend drop of 69%. Depending on how Civil War could possibly end up higher than that.

Either way, I benefit in no way if it happens or not, I was just pointing out the surprising huge second weekend drop for all the great reviews and word of mouth it's received. It's especially surprising compared to Winter Soldier. We'll see where it goes, but that drop is bad no matter how much you want to deny it. You can stop being so defensive. :'(

Oh okay I get what you mean now. I thought a weekend for the box office weekend consist of Friday to Friday due to most new movie official release date being on a Friday. 

Also Civil War dropped to 59%. So that's one thing BvS still has over it.

Out of all the next Marvel Studios movies that will be coming out I think I'm more interested in Black Panther now.

I agree. Slow start. But the whole time all I was waiting for Spider-Man to show up.

Trailers really do ruin movies in some cases. Because I felt like I was waiting for all the trailer moments at time.
I tell myself during the pre-release hype that I will not watch the trailers, but then I do anyway. I really should go in to the movies cold.

Yeah, after seeing Star Wars fresh, and feeling ruined for Civil War, I'm watching only teasers or maybe first trailers for everything and no more.

I don't give two shits about Spider-Man, so him being in the trailer was "whatever" for me. I was more interested in how the Civil War would shake up the team.

The ending to this movie made me way more excited for Ant-Man & the Wasp and Black Panther than I was when they were announced.

The only way Civil War could have been better? If it had cute anime girls.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=8TM5Tdl9uww

is IMAX 3D worth it for this movie
True IMAX or Fake IMAX/Lie Max from Regal/AMC? I am going to try my hardest to see it in real IMAX tomorrow for the IMAX scenes.

Anyone Saw the Movie in RPX Was it Worth it
RPX is good..for some reason the newer Regal which has RPX sounds lower than the older Regal which has fake IMAX, which sounds loud as hell.

Ok...

So I saw it last night at the real IMAX Theater we have here in NOVA which is the Airbus IMAX Theater.   I watched for frame expansion very carefully throughout the film.

Guess what?   ONLY ONE SCENE SWITCHED TO IMAX FULL FRAME!!!

Guess what scene was that?  The intro?  Nope... The fight against Crossbones and crew?  Nope... The awesome Tunnel chase with Captain America, Black Panther and WS?  Nope.   The Ending fight between the Trio?  Nope.    It was actually the FIRST 1 third of the Airport Brawl!!

The remaining scenes in the brawl was normal letter boxed.  So the scene where Antman becomes Giant man, which would have probably looked awesome in full frame IMAX was actually in letter box mode and I was looking so forward to that!

After watching this movie 3 times, I kinda debate if that airport brawl was worth filming in IMAX at all.   IMAX is usually worth it to capture the rich detail of a landscape but after watching the Brawl, I was watching the background to see if there was anything that was worth capturing in IMAX and to be honest most scenes felt very CG.

Reports indicate that there were at least 17 mins of IMAX footage and the directors confirmed it was in the Airport Brawl.   That first part of the brawl in IMAX probably lasted 3-4 minutes before it switched to letter boxed.

I seriously think every director who wants to play with an IMAX camera have some serious sit down time with Nolan.  He is like the only director who's work I have seen has properly used the IMAX camera system to it's full potential. 

At this point I can't notice the 3d effects in movies anymore.   They don't really stand out as they use to or my eyes have gotten use to effects.

bread's done
Back