Captain America: The Winter Soldier Steelbook $24.99 @ Best Buy

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I know some others here have had their eye on this one. Winter Soldier Steelbook (Best Buy Exclusive) is now $24.99 ($5.00 off) and available for pre-order for in-store pick up. These things sell fast and if you tried to get a copy of the Thor: The Dark World one you know how difficult they can be to find release day.

BestBuy.com was giving me a lot of trouble today (cart wouldn't load). If you have the same issue try checking out at m.bestbuy.com instead.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=3261951&type=product&skuId=7750005&st=winter+soldier+steelbook&cp=1&lp=1

Also of note:

It's worth noting that next week, Best Buy has a promo where if you buy Captain America: TWS + a $14.99+ TV show, you get $10 off Captain America: TWS.

This will probably be stackable with the 'buy 3 TV seasons, get 25% off' promo, which is continuing next week.
Don't forget Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1 comes out Tuesday as well (Target has it for $39.99 on Blu, Best Buy appears to have it for $44.99 barring any sales release week). May be possible to pre-order the Steelbook to reserve your copy, cancel in store pick up once in the store and then get it with Agents, with price match to Target for a grand total of about $55. At current Best Buy prices it would be ~$60). YMMV on a couple of factors of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like bestbuy learned from the thor 2 fiasco. With plenty of steelbooks in stock hoarders won't be as inclined to buy them all as we all know if something is easily avaliable than people won't be desperate to buy it quickly so selling these online will be much harder than with thor

Can't wait to add winter soldier and a.o.s to my complete mcu collection after work :D

Toy Story of Terror on DVD at $9.99 also appears to reduce the price - if you're just looking to get something for "free" and not spend $15+ for the discount.

Bah, not gonna have enough cash. Was tempted to get CA2 and AS2 3D while they were still $20 apiece...hopefully, they will be come the holidays. :whistle2:( And I tend to be a man of consistency, so I'll definitely cave for the eventual GotG SB.

Cool I was all ready to go ape shit on the d-bag that bought almost all the Thor 2 SB last time if he was there this morning also.
At best buy now waiting for them to open said d-bag mentioned above is already standing by the door of the store.

Yeah, kinda tempted to see if I can match AOS at BB as well today when I go. Unless it's likely to drop lower later in the year?
Honestly, this is kind of a new situation and hard to guess. Marvel films notoriously don't drop much but AOS might drop, being that it is TV and season 1 had very mixed reception. My guess is that it will eventually drop. Maybe Black Friday, most likely when Season 2 comes out on Blu-ray.

Were they fighting because the extra $10 came off or just bitched and moaned about a price match in general?
If I had to guess it was because there was a package deal going on. Somebody on Blu-Ray.com posted a pic of their receipt with the transaction at hand.

If you want to avoid this I would recemmond having them PM AOS first and then have them ring up Cap2, it seems the promotion rings up automatically. Not sure if this is the case if you do it before they ring up both together, which happened to me last night and the associate had to take the $10 off of Cap2.

I was worried about ordering this, like others said, because of the Thor 2 debacle. Had no problem ordering for store pick up this morning, Now just gotta wait for the store to open.

Were they fighting because the extra $10 came off or just bitched and moaned about a price match in general?
She tried to do a few things and nothing worked. it looks like she punched it in as a coupon discount and ended up giving a $5 bill back even though I paid in full with a gift card.

Just received my shipped copy, in a freaking plastic bag.... I was hoping from earlier reports they at least would have done the smarter thing and shipped them in a cardboard but noooo..  I opened it up and immediately started cursing due to a glaring mark, but I looked closer and it didn't look like a actual scratch.  Did a little research and apparently it's actually part of the cover and is on all the copies including the EU steelbook without the helmet so that's a breath of fresh air.  Other than that at first glance everything seems ok, despite their choice of a shipping container.  Going to go over it later with more detail but right now looks like I was lucky and dodged the bullet.

Just received my shipped copy, in a freaking plastic bag.... I was hoping from earlier reports they at least would have done the smarter thing and shipped them in a cardboard but noooo.. I opened it up and immediately started cursing due to a glaring mark, but I looked closer and it didn't look like a actual scratch. Did a little research and apparently it's actually part of the cover and is on all the copies including the EU steelbook without the helmet so that's a breath of fresh air. Other than that at first glance everything seems ok, despite their choice of a shipping container. Going to go over it later with more detail but right now looks like I was lucky and dodged the bullet.
Regardless if you lucked out or not, it's still worth complaining to BB Customer Care since that lazy-ass packaging for steelbooks needs to stop.

Yeah, kinda tempted to see if I can match AOS at BB as well today when I go. Unless it's likely to drop lower later in the year?
I browsed eBay and found brand new copy of the DVD version of the show for under $20. Usually with new releases, I check eBay during that week to see if anyone offers it for less. So far, I've had good luck finding the DVD versions of my TV shows for very cheap (mainly cause the markup on them isn't as high as Blu's tend to be).

Does anybody know if, when you buy Winter Soldier + a TV series, whether it automatically take $10 off Winter Soldier?  I'm considering trying to PM Agents of Shield from Target then getting the movie to knock the show down to $30 I guess, but I know there's no way I could get a cashier to PM the show then apply the discount to Winter Soldier.  If it applies the discount automatically though I may be able to get away with it.

And shouldn't Agents of Shield be coming to Netflix either way?  I thought Marvel had signed some deal with Netflix to put a bunch of shows on the service, I kinda figured AoS would be thrown in with Daredevil and whatever else they are making.

Last edited:
Does anybody know if, when you buy Winter Soldier + a TV series, whether it automatically take $10 off Winter Soldier? I'm considering trying to PM Agents of Shield from Target then getting the movie to knock the show down to $30 I guess, but I know there's no way I could get a cashier to PM the show then apply the discount to Winter Soldier. If it applies the discount automatically though I may be able to get away with it.

And shouldn't Agents of Shield be coming to Netflix either way? I thought Marvel had signed some deal with Netflix to put a bunch of shows on the service, I kinda figured AoS would be thrown in with Daredevil and whatever else they are making.
It counts for any TV series priced $14.99 or higher. If you're working to PM AoS for $30 and then trying to get them to discount the $10 from CA2, it all depends on what you can negotiate with the cashier. Frankly, if you can get Best Buy to PM Target on $20 for CA2 3D and $30 for AoS, and its cheaper than having to buy AoS for their price to get CA2 for the discount, might as well go that route.

It counts for any TV series priced $14.99 or higher. If you're working to PM AoS for $30 and then trying to get them to discount the $10 from CA2, it all depends on what you can negotiate with the cashier. Frankly, if you can get Best Buy to PM Target on $20 for CA2 3D and $30 for AoS, and its cheaper than having to buy AoS for their price to get CA2 for the discount, might as well go that route.
I already know that won't fly because the Target ad says "Exclusive" on the Winter Soldier deal. Even though we all know that means some bullshit 5 minute featurette that's probably on Youtube already, I know the local Best Buy would use that as an excuse not to PM. They've done that before.

Anyways it sounds like you are saying the cashier has to apply the $10 discount to Winter Soldier manually?

I'd like the steelbook if possible, but like you suggested I'm tempted to just buy from Target.

I picked up my bundle. Getting captain america and aos for 49$ after taxes is sweet ! Now for a week long marvelthon lol

BTW the steelbooks were wiped out, guess nyc people love their collectible cases. I'm gonna try to get a price ajust ment on a.o.s like I managed to do with thor back in febuary, got nothing to lose !

I already know that won't fly because the Target ad says "Exclusive" on the Winter Soldier deal. Even though we all know that means some bullshit 5 minute featurette that's probably on Youtube already, I know the local Best Buy would use that as an excuse not to PM. They've done that before.

Anyways it sounds like you are saying the cashier has to apply the $10 discount to Winter Soldier manually?

I'd like the steelbook if possible, but like you suggested I'm tempted to just buy from Target.
Won't work on the SB. When they PM, they make sure what they see in ad or on screen (if you have tablet or smartphone with image on it) for the advertised price matches what they have in store (meaning you can get the regular 3D for $20). And yes. If you're working to do a PM on an item, it can change the circumstances of the order in their computer. So if they have to do some workaround, be sure to let them know. But...play the role of a dumbfounded, innocent sort. That way, you should get the least bit of grief.

I used a best buy gift card to order the steelbook this morning for in store pickup but the ghost in shell pre-order has to be shipped. If I pick up my steelbook today, can I just cancel my ghost in shell pre-order and keep the steelbook for $14.99. I paid with a best buy gift card. The system can't change my steelbook price back to $24.99 and re-charge my gift card the extra $10 after the fact, can they?

If I am able to cancel my Ghost in the Shell pre-order after picking up my Winter Soldier steelbook, do I get to keep the steelbook for $14.99?

Has someone tried the jugular at BB?

- price match Agenta of Shield
- price match Homeland 3
- add another TV show to get 25% off
- add CA Winter Soldier 3D for $10 off

That would be a Grand Slam!

I used a best buy gift card to order the steelbook this morning for in store pickup but the ghost in shell pre-order has to be shipped. If I pick up my steelbook today, can I just cancel my ghost in shell pre-order and keep the steelbook for $14.99. I paid with a best buy gift card. The system can't change my steelbook price back to $24.99 and re-charge my gift card the extra $10 after the fact, can they?

If I am able to cancel my Ghost in the Shell pre-order after picking up my Winter Soldier steelbook, do I get to keep the steelbook for $14.99?
Actually they will.

I did that during the Amz Spider-man 2 release with the same $10 off promo, pre-ordered Ghost in Shell Anniversary, then realized it was just another conversion title so I cancelled it a week later. My card on file was charged $10 on that same day within the hour!

You'll likely only get credited $9.99 instead of $19.99.

Yes they can and will.

I got my Captain America Steelbook for $14.99 by itself by finding a TV Show $14.99 and up not part of the online list of save $10 Captain America. Since in the weekly ad online says ANY TV Show $14.99 and up. I called 1888 bestbuy to place and an order. Then I act shocked that the total is wrong. I tell them Captain America should be $14.99 not $24.99 with purchase of any TV Show $14.99 and up. They see the online weekly and adjust Captain America Steelbook down to $14.99. I place the order with the TV Show and once I get off the phone with the rep I cancel the TV Show. Since it was adjust to $14.99 manually it won't go back to $24.99. I did the same thing with The Amazing Spider-Man 2 a couple of weeks ago. I mainly stream TV Shows on Netflix and HBO GO.

I got my Captain America Steelbook for $14.99 by itself by finding a TV Show $14.99 and up not part of the online list of save $10 Captain America. Since in the weekly ad online says ANY TV Show $14.99 and up. I called 1888 bestbuy to place and an order. Then I act shocked that the total is wrong. I tell them Captain America should be $14.99 not $24.99 with purchase of any TV Show $14.99 and up. They see the online weekly and adjust Captain America Steelbook down to $14.99. I place the order with the TV Show and once I get off the phone with the rep I cancel the TV Show. Since it was adjust to $14.99 manually it won't go back to $24.99. I did the same thing with The Amazing Spider-Man 2 a couple of weeks ago. I mainly stream TV Shows on Netflix and HBO GO.
That's why we can't have nice things. Good job on the dick move. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't hit your card for an additioanl $10 because you debundled your purchase.

You could have just gotten the dvd version of the toy story holoween special for 10$ and it would have taken the 10$ off of winter soldier. Toy story could have been for your kids (if you have any)

If you don't have any why not just get a tv show you acually want to keep ? What you did was indeed beyond exploitation

[quote name="shrike4242" post="12080594" timestamp="1410301169"]That's why we can't have nice things. Good job on the dick move. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't hit your card for an additioanl $10 because you debundled your purchase.[/quote]
They can't charge more since the order is finalized and there is no money left on that gift card. I could have been a dick according to you by price matching Walmart's or Target's 3D price for the Best Buy's steelbook. I wish someone would leak next week's Best Buy ad so I could see price of The Big Bang Theory Season 7. Best Buy raised the price of some TV Shows by $8 because of this promo. In past Best Buy has screwed me before by not doing a price adjustment when they lowered the price within 2 weeks on an item because it was part of a bundle.

[quote name="strait edge follower" post="12080630" timestamp="1410301760"]You could have just gotten the dvd version of the toy story holoween special for 10$ and it would have taken the 10$ off of winter soldier. Toy story could have been for your kids (if you have any)

If you don't have any why not just get a tv show you acually want to keep ? What you did was indeed beyond exploitation[/quote]
I didn't want that 30 minute show for $10. FYI I don't have kids.

Picked up The Regular Show Rigby Pack for $11.99 and that dropped the SB Cap to 14.99. I get a great price on the SB and the kids get 176 minutes of a show they love. Win Win

I ended up coming home with 4 steelbooks today.  Not all by plan...

I went to BB after work to get my 2 store pickup orders.  Browsed the store and found to my pleasant surprise that they still had 3 copies out for sale.  I was intending to do a return/rebuy on one of my store pickup orders since it had a game as well and I had a mover's coupon to use.  While doing the pickups the line at CS got pretty long behind me so I opted instead to buy another copy and the game to use the coupon (10% off entire purchase) and just checked out at the regular cashier line.  Then, came home to find my online order arrived in that damn bubble mailer...doesnt have too many scratches but that and one of the store pickup orders will likely go back so I'll keep one opened copy and one sealed.  If any CAG's need one PM me maybe we can work something out!

Went and got AoS and the Cap Steelbook at midnight last night but the 10$ Off cap wasn't workinf. Girl told me it must be online only. Who do I email to fix this?

I could have been a dick according to you by price matching Walmart's or Target's 3D price for the Best Buy's steelbook.
No, you couldn't have. The steelbook has a different SKU, not to mention a different cover. Nobody would have PM'ed that for you.

I will admit that Best Buy has also refused price adjustments for me in the past.... but their return window is the same as their PA window, so you just rebuy whatever it was you wanted then refund with the original reciept. Yes it's an extra step and an extremely annoying unnecessary step but it doesn't justify screwing over the store like you did. Doubly so when it sounds like you got the one CS representative on their hotline who actually gives a damn and is willing to lift a finger to help you.

Last edited:
[quote name="rcerboss" post="12081989" timestamp="1410353116"]No, you couldn't have. The steelbook has a different SKU, not to mention a different cover. Nobody would have PM'ed that for you.

I will admit that Best Buy has also refused price adjustments for me in the past.... but their return window is the same as their PA window, so you just rebuy whatever it was you wanted then refund with the original reciept. Yes it's an extra step and an extremely annoying unnecessary step but it doesn't justify screwing over the store like you did. Doubly so when it sounds like you got the one CS representative on their hotline who actually gives a damn and is willing to lift a finger to help you.[/quote]
If you go to blu-ray.com forums you will see other people posting that they got Best Buy to price match Target and Walmart price for the steelbook. What about the people pricing match the TV Show. Best Buy could have/did price some TV Shows higher because of this promotion. I have price matched Best Buy exclusives before with The Store Manager approving it and guess what the cashier and manager are still there months later. They have Express Laned movies in store before because 1888 bestbuy refused to price match because bestbuy.com didn't have The Low Price Guarantee logo on that movie that was online only.

I did it to get the regular blu-ray for $10, though I kind of regret not getting the 3d version with the dvd, and the UV copy.

I did it to get the regular blu-ray for $10, though I kind of regret not getting the 3d version with the dvd, and the UV copy.
I don't think the 3d versions come with the DVD's anymore. I think they quit doing that when Thor 2 came out.

Regardless if you lucked out or not, it's still worth complaining to BB Customer Care since that lazy-ass packaging for steelbooks needs to stop.
Oh believe me I did. The whole plastic bag as a shipping container in general is a horrible pratice which needs to be stopped.

[quote name="Sporkis" post="12082224" timestamp="1410360667"]Oh believe me I did. The whole plastic bag as a shipping container in general is a horrible pratice which needs to be stopped.
[/quote]
They need to have packaging feedback like Amazon. They have shipped movies in white plastic bags but they ship gift cards in bubble wrapped mailers.

bread's done
Back